New DC Candidate Possibilities | Page 8 | The Boneyard

New DC Candidate Possibilities

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’m wondering if don brown gets fired after today. Got their doors blown off against Osu and getting throttled by Florida. The fans there are getting restless. Harbaugh also may leave, in which case don brown will also be gone. I wonder if we’d have a sliver of a chance at getting him

Reaction Score
I’m wondering if don brown gets fired after today. Got their doors blown off against Osu and getting throttled by Florida. The fans there are getting restless. Harbaugh also may leave, in which case don brown will also be gone. I wonder if we’d have a sliver of a chance at getting him
Just remember he was at MD when Edsall was hired and quickly left for UConn. His brand of Defense and Randy's brand are about as polar opposite as you can get.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It seems going to a bowl and losing by more than one score is on par with winning three games this season for your coaching future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So we still have no real idea who it is? The lack of announcement makes me think it somebody who’s team is still playing. Through tomorrow that includes the Lions.

In any event we shouldn’t have to wait much longer unless Randy really didn’t have somebody lined up. That’s the one situation that would concern me n

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm hoping it's the guy I mentioned (Brian Stewart)

Missed that. He has all the connections, Maryland and the Lions. Prior DC experience. Pretty solid if it’s him.

Reaction Score
Stewart was also DC for the Houston Cougars several years back. Some recruiting connections in Texas to go with the DCA is killer. This guy would be a great hire.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Stewart was also DC for the Houston Cougars several years back. Some recruiting connections in Texas to go with the DCA is killer. This guy would be a great hire.
Anyone figure out his story for the one season at Rice as DC? Style of D, how it went?

Reaction Score
Harbaugh may leave anyway.....stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Anyone figure out his story for the one season at Rice as DC? Style of D, how it went?
After multiple seasons lacking in success, Rice's head coach during Stewart's single season (2017) was fired. Given Rice's typical limited recruiting and game day success for an extended period, whether reasonable conclusions on Stewart's coaching ability in one season and the Owls' D may be dubious.

Reaction Score
Was Stewart fired by Edsall after the 2014 season at Maryland.? Other then that Stewart seems like a real possibility. Stewart would certainly be a higher profile hire than Lyndon Johnson.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Jets already announced they are going to go after Harbaugh hard.
Jets ESPN writer Rich Cimini said they asked and Harbaugh told them he was staying at UM. Seemed like he has closed the door on leaving for the NFL. Of course that was before yesterday...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Jets ESPN writer Rich Cimini said they asked and Harbaugh told them he was staying at UM. Seemed like he has closed the door on leaving for the NFL. Of course that was before yesterday...

Jets are a train wreck anyway. I'd imagine he'd look at other NFL teams before looking at the Jets

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Jets have a boatload of cap space and a franchise QB. It's not a bad place to land for a head coach.

I agree with the cap space. Not sure darnold is a great QB. And no coach lasts for NYJ. I just don’t sense that it’s a good system to work in for coaches. They’re one of those teams that tends to stink through the decades regardless of who’s running the ship. Of course, this is all coming from a pats fan:cool:

Reaction Score
I agree with the cap space. Not sure darnold is a great QB. And no coach lasts for NYJ. I just don’t sense that it’s a good system to work in for coaches. They’re one of those teams that tends to stink through the decades regardless of who’s running the ship. Of course, this is all coming from a pats fan:cool:

The Jets have been plagued by issues at the top of the pyramid from ownership down to the GM, which has resulted in some really poor use of the draft, free agent signings, lack of a team strategy/identity, lack of commitment to a given QB, etc. It has been difficult for any coach to succeed in that environment.

A lot of fingers were point at GM Tannenbaum (2006-13). They seem to be more 'stable' with Maccagnan as GM (2015 - ?); but, Bowles was his guy and no one is sure of him yet. The question for him is can he build a team around Sam Darnold, who seems to have the bones to be a QB. The pressure will be on Maccagnan and not whoever they get as a coach for the team to improve in 2019, say 9-7 or 8-8 in a week AFC East. If they don't, he's going as the jets won't risk damaging Darnold.

As for the Pats, they obviously have a good organization. That said, their success over the last 20 or so years has been helped by how poor the rest of the AFC East has been during that time. It's rare For an AFC East team to give a Brady & Co. a run (maybe that a team in the AFC East team besides the Pats has finished above .500 and had given Brady & Co. a run. I think it was just the Jets during a 3-4 year period leaving the division's overall winning percentage during the last two decades at about .420, excluding New England. Not saying they wouldn't make the playoffs; but, if the Division was a bit better and the Pats adsorbed say 2 extra losses, that could occasionally cost them home field advantage. Since 2000, the Pats have played in 12 of the 18 AFC title games and have won 8 of those. The Pats are 6-1 at home in those games; but, they are 2-3 away from Foxborough (both wins in Pittsburgh and before 2004/5). Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of anyone in that division but Darnold showed enough (can't forget how young he is and how little talent he was surrounded with) that any head coaching candidate will look at that situation as one that has their QB of the future. That's huge.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of anyone in that division but Darnold showed enough (can't forget how young he is and how little talent he was surrounded with) that any head coaching candidate will look at that situation as one that has their QB of the future. That's huge.

He is going to be very good. Dan Orlovsky says great things about him. What I noticed was how much better he is now than before he was hurt. He clearly absorbed a lot of "how to play" while watching McCown and has improved. Jets have some talent on D as well.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree with this. As a Giants fan, I'm still ok on them passing on him. However, he has solid upside and improved as the season went on. This all occurred with players like Elijah McGuire, Herndon, and Robbie Anderson as your biggest "threats".

If they use that cap space for someone like Bell and get a good WR, they can turn it around quickly.

I hate the Jets but they are one of the most attractive openings out there.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The Jets have been plagued by issues at the top of the pyramid from ownership down to the GM, which has resulted in some really poor use of the draft, free agent signings, lack of a team strategy/identity, lack of commitment to a given QB, etc. It has been difficult for any coach to succeed in that environment.

A lot of fingers were point at GM Tannenbaum (2006-13). They seem to be more 'stable' with Maccagnan as GM (2015 - ?); but, Bowles was his guy and no one is sure of him yet. The question for him is can he build a team around Sam Darnold, who seems to have the bones to be a QB. The pressure will be on Maccagnan and not whoever they get as a coach for the team to improve in 2019, say 9-7 or 8-8 in a week AFC East. If they don't, he's going as the jets won't risk damaging Darnold.

As for the Pats, they obviously have a good organization. That said, their success over the last 20 or so years has been helped by how poor the rest of the AFC East has been during that time. It's rare For an AFC East team to give a Brady & Co. a run (maybe that a team in the AFC East team besides the Pats has finished above .500 and had given Brady & Co. a run. I think it was just the Jets during a 3-4 year period leaving the division's overall winning percentage during the last two decades at about .420, excluding New England. Not saying they wouldn't make the playoffs; but, if the Division was a bit better and the Pats adsorbed say 2 extra losses, that could occasionally cost them home field advantage. Since 2000, the Pats have played in 12 of the 18 AFC title games and have won 8 of those. The Pats are 6-1 at home in those games; but, they are 2-3 away from Foxborough (both wins in Pittsburgh and before 2004/5). Just food for thought.

Mostly accurate, but Bowles was not Maccagnan's guy. It was an arranged marriage. I think the only thing that saved Mac was that Bowles wasn't his decision and didn't report to him.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
As a Jets fan, Adams and Darnold give me hope. Darnold needs help like Bell, and he will be even better. He is only 21. Adams is already a star.

Reaction Score
The only job posting left is Asst. S&C (Closes 1/4). I'm sure this position will be filled with input from the new S&C guy. We should hear something in the next few days about who is hired to fill out the staff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The only job posting left is Asst. S&C (Closes 1/4). I'm sure this position will be filled with input from the new S&C guy. We should hear something in the next few days about who is hired to fill out the staff.

So who the hell is our DC? I am surprised a name hasn't leaked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom