New Big East Deal Could Be Worth As Little As $60 Million A Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Big East Deal Could Be Worth As Little As $60 Million A Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What kills me in all of this, that we're living through now, with our beloved alma mater, is that Jim Delaney, and John Toner - sat in the same rooms in the mid 1980s, in front of the United States government, among many other heavy weights in collegiate athletics, discussing the future of college football.

Both were right, in what they said, and thought about the future of college football, and what they saw coming.

I hope we can get back together again, because outside of the Ivy league, which is not accessible by the typical student athlete, or typical student in general.....

I don't see anything in intercollegiate athletics in the near future, even closely resembling what college sports are supposed to be about, than what that northeastern block of the United States land grant schools can deliver in the coming times.

If education, is trully what the money making is supposed to be all about, the big 10, will do what the ACC should have done, and kill the Big East, by absorbing the northeastern market into a football conference.

The big 10, by far, serves the most students than any other confernece, with the size of it's institutions, and the students that go to college. THe money earned through athletics, that is sure to grow - can be used the way it should.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Delaney put some torpedoes broadside into two conferences for Thanksgiving 2012. My hope, is that somebody from UConn has been reading all my crap from the past three years or so, and has managed to put a copy of Roy Kramer's report to the UConn BOT in 1996, on Jim Delaney's desk.

Talking to you - Warde Manuel.

UConn - needs a football conference. Put us in a football conference, and we bring East Coast basketball with us.

You do remember you have been pumping up the NNNNNNNBE and the TV strategy right?

Hopefully they missed that crap!

Reaction Score
You do remember you have been pumping up the NNNNNNNBE and the TV strategy right?

Hopefully they missed that crap!

Of course. It's clear, that the strong leadership we've got now, was far too late. I had no idea how badly Tranghese had f(cked the conference. Read what I wrote after that last post whaler, it's a lot more important to where we go in the future.

THe price of a college education for an average American, is out of hand, athletics, can and should be used for good. THe money. UConn, fits into the picture, of an institution, that can use a LOT of athletics money, for the good of delivering good education.

If a true playoff is not to happen any time soon, then we need to fit with a conference that is going to serve the needs of the school, to provide the resources for the educations of the tens of thousands of students that the state flagship admits, and educates.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course. It's clear, that the strong leadership we've got now, was far too late. I had no idea how badly Tranghese had f(cked the conference.

While the leadership was never good - it didn't really matter. Once college sports moved in this direction no one could protect or save the Big East. They were always the league with no strength and no leverage. It's just much more obvious now than it was 10 years ago.

BTW there is no evidence that the leadership now is any good. Unless leaking teams like a 78 Nova leaks oil is evidence.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course. It's clear, that the strong leadership we've got now, was far too late. I had no idea how badly Tranghese had f(cked the conference. Read what I wrote after that last post whaler, it's a lot more important to where we go in the future.

THe price of a college education for an average American, is out of hand, athletics, can and should be used for good. THe money. UConn, fits into the picture, of an institution, that can use a LOT of athletics money, for the good of delivering good education.

If a true playoff is not to happen any time soon, then we need to fit with a conference that is going to serve the needs of the school, to provide the resources for the educations of the tens of thousands of students that the state flagship admits, and educates.

Hold on. You think that schools are going to use athletics to make education more affordable? Well I guess even Communism can sound good in theory.

And wait - you think UConn's conference affiliation will serve UConn's educational needs? I mean come on - that reads like something Susan would say 10 minutes after she was rejected by another conference.

You pushed for UConn being in a 4 time zone conference - how could that possibly improve the education of the athletes who have to suffer through that travel.

Reaction Score
While the leadership was never good - it didn't really matter. Once college sports moved in this direction no one could protect or save the Big East. They were always the league with no strength and no leverage. It's just much more obvious now than it was 10 years ago.

BTW there is no evidence that the leadership now is any good. Unless leaking teams like a 78 Nova leaks oil is evidence.

Whaler, I'm in no mood to argue with you. Read the stuff I wrote. Think about It. Do a search for the transcript of the hearing before the House Subcommittee on College football in 1985. I've posted it before.

I love UConn. This school, took me in when I was lost, and provided me with tools to be what I am today.

I want the sports programs to thrive. I want the school to thrive. I am not alone.

We have needed a conference, that has the proper values when it comes to athletics, revenue streamsn, and academics for a long, long time. The yankee conference worked, for half a century. The Ivy's decided the college football post season was corrupt adn didnt' want a part, and de-emphasized football, and basketball emerged as the dominant east coast sport, and uconn dumped it's 50+ year athletic history to run on the hard court, and did quite well, but if we're going to be a top notch, nationally relevant state flagship institution, we cannot try to be an Ivy, and de-emphasize football, we have to be with a conference that does. This fact, was presented to the UConn Board of Trustees, 16 years ago.

I hope we have leadership, that finally realizes this, I've been doing my best, to make the public aware.

THe big east, now, finally realizes the importance, but is far too late. The ACC, I've never liked. The Big 10 - fits. Joe Paterno, the Ivy league football quarterback, wanted a northeastern league of 1A football schools, after the Ivy's shut it down. THe Big East basketball league prevented it from happening,

I hope, that Jim Delaney, can put Joe Paterno's vision of re-establishing north eastern college football into reality as a division of the big 10 - state schools.

College football, can supercede the NFL in popularity. THe fan bases are too dedicated, too large, and constantly have new members.

Reaction Score
Hold on. You think that schools are going to use athletics to make education more affordable? Well I guess even Communism can sound good in theory.

And wait - you think UConn's conference affiliation will serve UConn's educational needs? I mean come on - that reads like something Susan would say 10 minutes after she was rejected by another conference.

You pushed for UConn being in a 4 time zone conference - how could that possibly improve the education of the athletes who have to suffer through that travel.

Don't be an . It was working, and would have worked, had Delaney not torpedoed, both the ACC and the Big East.

Reaction Score
The Big East seems to be trying to be a poor man's B1G. They figure if they grab as many TV markets as they can the money will follow. The problem is nobody wants to watch Tulane/SDSU regardless of TV market. How can you expect a network to pay for this collection when there's always the underlying fact that at any time your only few valuable teams will be continually filing out the door?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't be an . It was working, and would have worked, had Delaney not torpedoed, both the ACC and the Big East.

Carl - you can believe that if you like but it wasn't working. It was never going to work because it's ridiculous at face value to anyone who isn't blinded by loyalty to a member school.

I mean seriously - UConn needs a conference that has proper values? Please tell me what conference that is

I will let you in on a secret. The whole world except for the Boneyard women's basketball board understands the only thing that matters is football.

Reaction Score
Seems like there are more Two-Faced posts here than the Batman series.

You want the truth: look in that mirror. We did not advance in this Conference Realignment. The very same people on this board that are whining about the Payout per team (and crapping on new schools) are the same set of people here who argue that we couldn't build another 12,000 seats when Rutgers & Louisville. We don't travel to Bowl Games ... or Away games. We don't have a 60 year name like Pitt or Syracuse. We are not Bigtime in Football ... and we are suspect at the moment in Hoop. Even if we had super-Paul with an 8-4 record this year ... our profile is just tough in this environment for the ACC. And Markets? I actually think WE have a good story over the next 10 years. But, not nearly that of Rutgers. And ... WE WIN ... we have a department (of its size) that really truly is pretty damn good. And, I do think our Girls Hoop is special - a Cash Flowing entity.

whaler is right ... it doesn't matter if it is $4 or $6 or $8. The comparable for the B1G is rumored to be $40m. What the hell do you think is going to happen as you get to that variance? That is ugly.

1. And ... this BS about cheering on the Dodds & McMurphys as they gloat at this imbalance is unseemly.

2. And KNOCKING Herbst? (and/or Warde Manual) There doesn't seem to be any rational substance in where that is going. Given the way the cards are falling, either could have been a wonderful Salesperson ... and we wouldn't have gotten the votes this time in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Carl - you can believe that if you like but it wasn't working. It was never going to work because it's ridiculous at face value to anyone who isn't blinded by loyalty to a member school.

I mean seriously - UConn needs a conference that has proper values? Please tell me what conference that is

I will let you in on a secret. The whole ****ing world except for the Boneyard women's basketball board understands the only thing that matters is football.

It should have been the big east, which is why I can't be in the same room with Mike Tranghese. I'd hit him harder than anyone or anything I've hit in my life. The big east should be the conference that's dictating the future of college athletics now, not the big 10.

Reaction Score
I honestly dont know where I fit into your post Pudge.

I want, what's been missing in these woods, for a long, long time.

A major, intercollegiate athletic league, in the northeast.

That's all. UConn - should be part of it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It should have been the big east, which is why I can't be in the same room with Mike Tranghese. I'd hit him harder than anyone or anything I've hit in my life. The big east should be the conference that's dictating the future of college athletics now, not the big 10.

Did Mike Tranghese keep Penn State out of the Big East?

Reaction Score
The B1G is next in line after the Ivy League. There's not much else to say.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You know, I'm not going to act like Pudge and say I'm perfect. I was in the "why expand the stadium when it isn't consistently selling out" camp until all this. Now? Nope. Expand the bastard to 55,000. Who's paying for it, is my main concern- but make no mistake, I am full-on the other way and in favor of expansion. Absolutely willing to admit I was wrong on that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems like there are more Two-Faced posts here than the Batman series.

You want the truth: look in that mirror. We did not advance in this Conference Realignment. The very same people on this board that are whining about the Payout per team (and crapping on new schools) are the same set of people here who argue that we couldn't build another 12,000 seats when Rutgers & Louisville. We don't travel to Bowl Games ... or Away games. We don't have a 60 year name like Pitt or Syracuse. We are not Bigtime in Football ... and we are suspect at the moment in Hoop. Even if we had super-Paul with an 8-4 record this year ... our profile is just tough in this environment for the ACC. And Markets? I actually think WE have a good story over the next 10 years. But, not nearly that of Rutgers. And ... WE WIN ... we have a department (of its size) that really truly is pretty damn good. And, I do think our Girls Hoop is special - a Cash Flowing entity.

whaler is right ... it doesn't matter if it is $4 or $6 or $8. The comparable for the B1G is rumored to be $40m. What the hell do you think is going to happen as you get to that variance? That is ugly.

1. And ... this BS about cheering on the Dodds & McMurphys as they gloat at this imbalance is unseemly.

2. And KNOCKING Herbst? (and/or Warde Manual) There doesn't seem to be any rational substance in where that is going. Given the way the cards are falling, either could have been a wonderful Salesperson ... and we wouldn't have gotten the votes this time in the ACC.

I hear the argument about the stadium. But let's say they expanded - it would have been empty and that would have been used against UConn last round.

I also agree that some of the Manuel and Herbst stuff is crap - people like Waylon can say UConn was the favorite and Louisville sold themselves - but that wasn't the case. Florida State had all the juice and Florida State wanted Louisville over UConn - it was that simple.

To your point #1 people aren't cheering on bad news - they are lashing out against those who tried to put a positive spin on where the Big East was going.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My argument on the stadium consistently was it wasn't worth discussing because it wasn't going to happen.

I was laughing today standing next to a sign that was proclaiming a site a future station on the idiotic busline - maybe I'm wrong but the state government is hopeless. That the state university is screwed as of today isn't really surprising - it's really the only outcome I would expect.

Reaction Score
zls ... where --- did you get the impression that I was near perfect? Refuted regularly. You'll grow some humility as you get older too.

I was just thinking ... the Syracuse folks hated the re-constituted league in 2004. I think UConn fans would have been thrilled if we stayed in that construct for the next 30 years. That's part of this ... isn't it? You simply cannot keep anything set for more than a nanosecond.

Tulane & ECU are thrilled; others are nauseated. My response to whaler ... you simply cannot go through life ALWAYS grabbing the negative. I simply won't accept the notion that never upgrading out of the Yankee Conference wasn't the right move. We are just going to have to do what Susan says: we win & we keep winning (NCs would be nice); we will get noticed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is there a single person against the upgrade? I don't think there is a single person who thought Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville would have a soft landing while UConn didn't.

I am much more realistic about what UConn is than many around here - but even I never thought it would be this bleak.

We are down to three schools left in the cold - UConn, USF and Cinci. Had you told me 10 schools got left out I wouldn't have been surprised if UConn was in that group. One of three schools left out - it seems impossible.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
cincy and uconn right now are def "left out" but its not a sure thing that usf should be considered a team that is left out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
cincy and uconn right now are def "left out" but its not a sure thing that usf should be considered a team that is left out.

Well there are three teams that spent the last half decade in an AQ league who haven't been promoted to at least the ACC. If you'd like to debate if USF is 'left out' knock yourself out. They were in and now they aren't. That they put bad teams on the field doesn't matter.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Well there are three teams that spent the last half decade in an AQ league who haven't been promoted to at least the ACC. If you'd like to debate if USF is 'left out' knock yourself out. They were in and now they aren't. That they put bad teams on the field doesn't matter.

ok, then temple fits the list. they were in years ago then droped out and then joined again only to watch the big east die more.

temple still has a long road to go to get into a bcs conf
usf will never be in the sec and the acc is only if fsu and miami leave. thats the only light for them
uconn and cincy bring things to the table and fit the bcs leagues big boy status potentially.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ok, then temple fits the list. they were in years ago then droped out and then joined again only to watch the big east die more.

temple still has a long road to go to get into a bcs conf
usf will never be in the sec and the acc is only if fsu and miami leave. thats the only light for them
uconn and cincy bring things to the table and fit the bcs leagues big boy status potentially.

Temple fits the list of teams that were in an AQ conference the last half decade? Thanks for the history lesson though - I was unaware of who has been in the Big East over the years.

USF will never be in the ACC unless FSU leaves? Guess what neither will UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom