New Big East Deal Could Be Worth As Little As $60 Million A Year | The Boneyard

New Big East Deal Could Be Worth As Little As $60 Million A Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This is just more of that well known anti-Big East CBS bias.

zls44

Reaction Score
Lets get down to the important question: why is CBS conspiring to destroy the Big East? There can be NO OTHER conclusion drawn from this.

/BusinessLawyer'd

Reaction Score
We could get more per school forming a new conference I think.

Reaction Score
I am surprised they will even get that MUCH!

Reaction Score
I don't even know who is in the Big East right now. What would the split look like if we have 60 mil and 28 different schools?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And ZLS is doing a happy dance.

Actually, Dodd blows all credibility when he says anyone will go back to the MWC. That is pretty much off the table. They might decide they don't want to be in a league with UConn and cut us loose, but they aren't going back to the MWC and its toxic TV deal. If Dodd is going to write an article like this he should at least know that the MWC is a non-starter.

Reaction Score
Shortly after BSU & SDSU were added I reported a comment Herbstriet made at the Birmingham Monday Morning Quarterback Club that he did not think either would ever play a snap in the BE because they would find it did not make economic sense. At the time I thought he was full of it but, if this is correct he may turn out to be right.

Cue Conspiracy Kitty

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lets get down to the important question: why is CBS conspiring to destroy the Big East? There can be NO OTHER conclusion drawn from this.

/BusinessLawyer'd
Because they are not positioned to compete with ESPN and NBCSN or Fox and the emergence of either of the latter two would raise the cost for broadcast rights?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Because they are not positioned to compete with ESPN and NBCSN or Fox and the emergence of either of the latter two would raise the cost for broadcast rights?

Don't ruin it for ZLS, okay? He likes when the team he roots for gets a quarter of the money that all of it's 1-A neighbors get! Let him have this moment to hate on his own school, alright?!? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

/BusinessLawyer'd

Oh, grow up. First, I'm not one of those who is constantly saying that everything said by any talking head is only what is ordered by the suits in Bristol, and I certainly have not said recently that the Big East will be fine through this process.

More importantly, however, nothing that CBS Sports says is relevant at all to prove that ESPN is as morally pure in its actions as the Catholic Church or the State University of the great State of Pennsylvanis. (Wait -- were those bad comparisons?)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm not getting this. how much do u think tulane/ecu/usf/ucf/smiss/uh/smu/marsh/uab/memphis... are worth? i would say 5 mil each in a league of 12 would be a good deal for them. no?

uconn and cincy wont be in the big east soon. prob not temple either. not sure how any of u think the big east will be worth much. what was cusa ever worth in its best year?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This is Conference USA with UConn and Temple.

...and Cincy, Boise State, and SDSU, but yes, the sentiment is the same...

Reaction Score
Cincy was already in CUSA, they were originals I think.

I have serious doubts that Boise and SDSU ever play a down in this thing.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Cincy was already in CUSA, they were originals I think.

I have serious doubts that Boise and SDSU ever play a down in this thing.

Oh, Jesus, you're talking about originals??? That ship sailed the Big East quite some time ago, my friend! And after the loss of Rutty and Ville, I share your doubts about BSU and SDSU as well...

zls44

Reaction Score
If you're really comparing a tv deal to felony child abuse, then you are too far gone mentally to have an adult discussion about anything.

zls44

Reaction Score
The lowest end of a Big East deal is still better than the highest end of any MWC deal. Only way the western schools possibly don't join is if the PAC-12 takes them, or if Cincy and UConn leave, which would probably send the tv deal to $40 million.

Reaction Score
My opinion is that the next writer that impresses me with his grasp of economics, specifically the economics of TV contracts for College Football, would be the first. That throws Dennis Dodd in there with Mike DiMauro as being wholly clueless & jumping at some source's view of things.

I think this is a very complex game now. Losing SU & Pitt (and then TCU) ... picking up Boise et al & widening to a National conference ... Losing Rutgers ... Then Louisville. NONE OF THAT IS ENCOURAGING. But, you are left with one thing ... YOU are talking to 6 Networks; 3 of whom are desirous of your content. This is special & a little bit of a Bubble economics. And, don't forget that the BE Hoop is a lever to use. Nelson Muntz is right (one of his upside comments): the MWC today is not viable contract wise. The Big East will be able to pay 3-5 times what that situation is. Could the MWC just collapse its entire structure & start over again? Also ... while its fun ... GREAT FUN ... for some of you to state that this is CUSA with UConn/Temple. It ain't. It is a far more lucrative time. But, let's face it: we just went from a $10-12m expectation to something 25-40% less with merely the loss of Rutgers & Louisville. In the long run, you can't compete when we are bringing in $6m or so & Rutgers is projected (by Thamel) to get $40m in 2016.

Aresco still has my confidence to get a final structure; but, it is a truly confounding swirl. We are essentially the OTHER league (until the ACC further implodes). We can FILL TVs with reasonable Brands at a far lower number. What does that buy you? I think you have the ability to be the OTHER Programming. That's not 15 teams sharing $60m as this is presented; rather, I think this is 16-20 Teams each worth $6-8m. I simply cannot conceive that having NEW markets dilutes the share that a UConn gets. If you are able to claim Louisiana Cable or Colorado Cable or San Joaquin Valley Cable, you bring that number higher; you don't dilute. And you consider a fully engaged league that increases your total by your Marginal Incremental Revenue. YOU can virtually add any University you choose & grab an incremental share higher. And, reduce the other 4 Conferences to really fringe.

Reaction Score
Hardly worth doing if it's only $60 million. It might be worth each team trying to put together its own deal for its product and paying a fee to the Big East. Similar to what UConn does with the womens games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom