New BE TV Deal Expected to Top $2B | The Boneyard

New BE TV Deal Expected to Top $2B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
oh nooo lets go join duke and wake and bc and cuse in the acc wwwwwaaaaaaaaa..............

time for us ruty/temple/usf/ucf/cincy and who ever else is down for the cause to arm up together a f those couple private schools who have messed with all of us for years. screw them, then if only 1 or 2 publics are left after the b12 eats lunch then pick those couple, get a even better tv deal and watch them die!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
oh nooo lets go join duke and wake and bc and cuse in the acc wwwwwaaaaaaaaa..............

time for us ruty/temple/usf/ucf/cincy and who ever else is down for the cause to arm up together a f those couple private schools who have messed with all of us for years. screw them, then if only 1 or 2 publics are left after the b12 eats lunch then pick those couple, get a even better tv deal and watch them die!

I'd rather join the ACC with Rutgers, Cincy, USF and play those 'couple of private schools' than have to play against 4 rate state schools that have no athletic tradition whatsoever.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
whats our athletic tradition? we are a rising stud in college sports. don't hate on other schools that are a couple years behind us. they all have the same dreams as us. those rpivate schools are living on the paychecks being earned by public schools in there league. they are living in the past. they are the occupy wall st ppl. they want $$ but won't work for it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ACC Athletic Directors wanting to beat the snot out of Swofford need to schedule an appointment. He is booked with a$$kickings through the rest of the Spring.

They must want to slit their wrist when the NNBE is on track to a deal that will be close to $200MM/year with the goat rodeo it has assembled, while programs like Duke, UNC, FSU and Clemson are at $240MM a year, on a deal that is heavily back end loaded.

If the ACC loses more than half its teams, the remainder would be crazy to stick with the league.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I opened this expecting to read a term of 50 years and the provision that required the BE to wash the windows at 30 Rock.

Reaction Score
Im really hoping the ACC, gets picked apart, and that the big east presidents see this through. Unfortunately, I think any big east school will take an ACC offer.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
l'm still on board with the BE looking for $6 mil for each sport (all rights) as the best they can get.

Best case: 10 years $6 mil for each sport
10 schools both sports $120 mil
3 football only and 8 basketball only for $66 mil.
$186 mil per year average over 10 years

Worst case: 12 years. $5 mil per sport.
$155 mil per year average over 12 years

$2 bil spread over 15 years with equal splits per sport? $8.6 for all sports.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Makes me wonder how much a 12 team all sports Big East would have garnered.

UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, West Virginia, Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati, TCU, Central Florida, Houston, Temple.

Tons of media markets, solid football, great hoops, conference title game.

Damn.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I didn't read the article so it may have answered this.....

What does this break down to per school? The Big East, with it's non-FB members, is a lot larger than the ACC. So I can imagine that this deal sounds great when you say it's worth $2 Billion but when you break it down per school is it really any better than what the ACC has? Like I said, didn't read the article but something to keep in the back of our heads....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/potential-tv-windfall-encouraging-big-east

Fox and NBC made presentations at the BE meeting. There were a lot of smiles coming out of the presentation. Of course, there are no details like how many years etc. Last deal BE almost agreed with ESPN was 9 years for $1.4B.

Finally, some good news is starting to come our way!! I'm not going to pretend that the tv deal is going to be Big10-like, but I'm also not going to pretend that it's going to be Mountain West-like either. If this conference can just survive without any defections until the negotiations begin with the tv networks (September?), I think we are going to be in good shape. Tagliabue's advice and company had to be worth something. This strategy of focusing on acquiring large tv markets had to be worth something. I'm hoping the strategy pays off in the end.

We can't say a lot about what we have that the other conferences don't (besides UConn), but at least we can say that we have representatives in NYC/Newark, Philly, Orlando, Tampa, Louisville, Cincinnati, Dallas, Houston, San Diego, Memphis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Providence (no laughing!), Boise, Annapolis/Baltimore, and Washington D.C. In the day and age when advertisors are begging people not to "DVR fast-forward their stuff", live entertainment in all of those cities has to be a big asset for us...

Reaction Score
The way we maximize our TV deal is by bidding out Tier-1 and 2 rights to multiple networks. We keep the Tier-3 rights either to form a BE network or leave it up to individual schools to sell on its own. PAC-12 already gave us the blue print. No one thought PAC-12 could get that kind of deal either, but they did. People need to remember PAC-12 deal sucked just like the current BE deal. PAC-12 got USC, Oregon and Washington for FB. Their basketball is horrible comparing to the BE.

People that think BE will get a deal that will be less than $10M per year for all sports need to get a grip of reality. The current market condition alone will dictate BE landing a huge deal. I fully expect each school to be paid close to the ACC deal with way better terms. If UCONN can keep our tier-3 rights, we can sell that to generate more income on top of BE's TV deal.

People that want to jump to the ACC might want to look at the bigger picture. ACC with a horrible TV deal is in a very bad position. Unless Grant of Rights is signed in that league, they will be poached to pieces just like the BE. If BE can get a much better TV deal, it would not surprise me at all if some ACC schools might jump over especially if FSU/Clemson/VTECH/NCST all left town.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's laughable that the Big East would leak this. If the ACC knows that the NBE will get paid, all the more reason to destroy it. Very odd how the Big East has diarrhea of the mouth over and over.

I think they absolutely NEEDED to have diarrhea of the mouth on this one. If the ACC is going to poach us, it isn't going to be because of the size of the impending tv contract. It is going to be in order to extend their own contract. That fact is independent of whatever we are spewing.

No, in my estimation, something needed to be said to the current members who are and have been seriously contemplating splitting to maybe wait just a bit and see what we can do for each other. Also, we needed some good press like Amy Winehouse needed rehab! (too soon?) I'm glad they diarrhea'd all over the place!! :eek:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Some reporter
I didn't read the article so it may have answered this.....

What does this break down to per school? The Big East, with it's non-FB members, is a lot larger than the ACC. So I can imagine that this deal sounds great when you say it's worth $2 Billion but when you break it down per school is it really any better than what the ACC has? Like I said, didn't read the article but something to keep in the back of our heads....

The article is completely devoid of anything concrete - basically, these kids have latched onto a floating piece of driftwood in the form of a throwaway quote.

We still want to leave. Louisville and Rutgers want to leave. Some of the others are aware they're stuck. And, now, keep your eye on the Notre Dame rumors that will start popping up...Brey ain't quite as committed to the BE as he wants to appear.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Some reporter

The article is completely devoid of anything concrete - basically, these kids have latched onto a floating piece of driftwood in the form of a throwaway quote.

We still want to leave. Louisville and Rutgers want to leave. Some of the others are aware they're stuck. And, now, keep your eye on the Notre Dame rumors that will start popping up...Brey ain't quite as committed to the BE as he wants to appear.

Excellent....thanks for the summary of the article! Glad I didn't bother to read it!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Some reporter

Fishy, you know as well as I do that it needs to be a very chilly day in Hell for Notre Dame to give up their independence. If you believe that (which I think you do), then does it really matter what Mike Brey's true feelings are? And I haven't been called a kid since 1993, when I started balding... ;)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fishy, you know as well as I do that it needs to be a very chilly day in Hell for Notre Dame to give up their independence. If you believe that (which I think you do), then does it really matter what Mike Brey's true feelings are? And I haven't been called a kid since 1993, when I started balding... ;)

It is getting chillier in Hell.

I don't like anything about some of the news I heard today.

Reaction Score
Don't believe anything out there unless it's quoted from the commissioner, or one of the big east presidents.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It is getting chillier in Hell.

I don't like anything about some of the news I heard today.

I liked some of the things and expected others (like Mike Brey about "ND contingency plans"). It may be chillier in Hell, but in my estimation, it's just a strong breeze. Notre Dame giving up independence will require a glacier.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Its for 11ty billion. How long? Sorry cant answer that!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I liked some of the things and expected others (like Mike Brey about "ND contingency plans"). It may be chillier in Hell, but in my estimation, it's just a strong breeze. Notre Dame giving up independence will require a glacier.

The article was meaningless - not referring to anything you can read in a newspaper. I'll leave it like this...we are very, very close to being closed out here.

The seats at the big table are just about filled and we're still on the outside looking in at the kiddy table. The chuckleheads above who think a hyphenated sentence in a Florida sports' bulletin is some kind of ray of sunshine are kidding themselves.

Some bad s*** is coming down the pike. Nelson's Yankee Conference quips have a shot at making him look like the board's Nostradamus - if there were "smiles coming out of the room" at the Big East meetings, I promise you that those smiles were not coming from UConn.

Reaction Score
People will believe what they want to believe. Some people will believe the world will end tomorrow for UCONN so they look for every rumor that supports it. Even when the BE sign a huge deal this winter, there will be doubters who think it is fake.

All it takes for ND to stay indy is having NBC whispering in their ears that they will match whatever B12 is being paid per team per year. I doubt NBC will want to lose ND to ESPN/FOX anytime soon.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The article was meaningless - not referring to anything you can read in a newspaper. I'll leave it like this...we are very, very close to being closed out here.

The seats at the big table are just about filled and we're still on the outside looking in at the kiddy table. The chuckleheads above who think a hyphenated sentence in a Florida sports' bulletin is some kind of ray of sunshine are kidding themselves.

Some bad s*** is coming down the pike. Nelson's Yankee Conference quips have a shot at making him look like the board's Nostradamus - if there were "smiles coming out of the room" at the Big East meetings, I promise you that those smiles were not coming from UConn.

Okay, now I got you. I thought you were referring to the aforementioned news, but you are also talking about all of this horse$#it that the Big12-SEC and the Big10-Pac12 have constructed nicely for themselves, leaving us AND the ACC out of the discussion. That, I agree with you 100.o%! My only hope is that an attempt to leave out the entire eastern seaboard from the "Big Table" will result in some action from legislators finally, due to monopolistic behavior.

But then again, perhaps I expect too much from our elected officials!

My one solace is that UConn is a solid brand name; you can see us mentioned in movies and see our jerseys being sported on singers at the halftime shows for the NFL. I think that we will eventually get over this mountain of feces that is being thrown at us and eventually will be playing with the big boys again. Let's hope I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom