NEVER play TENN again | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NEVER play TENN again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe it does but they play there not for UConn to make money but rather for the state to bolster the XL center.
Uconn and the XL center are both state supported. It’s like paying yourself.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I do think UConn needed that 1995 MLK game to establish itself on the national stage. It would have eventually happened anyway, but that game sure gave the program a huge boost. The 1995 national championship was the cherry on top.

Interesting how we then witnessed a reversal of roles. UConn became the top program in the country while Tennessee after Pat's illness began to struggle. It then became Tennessee needing to play UConn to help elevate its program. Remember Holly approached Geno at the WBHOF in 2012 (or 2013) and asked about renewing the series and Geno insisted that Tennessee first apologize to Maya Moore and her mother. Holly said no. In 2015 Holly then worked with ESPN to put pressure on Geno to restart the series and Geno said no. Geno finally agreed to restart the series beginning in 2020, a move that really benefited Tennessee more than it did UConn.

All that said, I'm really indifferent about renewing the series. There are other teams I'd much rather see UConn play.
You mean such as Stanford or LSU? Both of those coaches have said no to Geno multiple times over the years. At least UT wants to play UConn. Even Maryland had to use the Jimmy V Classic as an excuse to play UConn. I believe the BE is going to 2 less conference games a year next year. That's room for two more OOC games. But just remember, those coaches have to say yes first, and Geno has mentioned many times that teams aren't lining up to play OOC games against UConn. Love Dawn or hate her, she and Geno are two of the few coaches that will say "anytime, anywhere".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do agree WCBB needs rivalry's like UConn Tenn however Aaliyah was fouled intentionally and ended up on the floor twice. The refs did not call a flagrant foul. Both players shouldve been thrown out of the game. I have to wonder if the refs were afraid to make that point because it was in Tenn. We can have rivalries with other teams. Yes both coaches didnt like the way the game was called but thats nothing new for UConn at Tenn. Pat did UConn a favor in 1995 and UConn did a favor for Tenn ESPN and WCBB when they agreed to renew the series.
I absolutely agree that the refs mishandled the call. But I don't want to see the UConn-TN series end as the result of the actions of one player, a transfer from MS St. KJH appears to be a good coach and human being who's doing her best in an impossible situation, trying to satisfy the unrealistic expectations of a fan base to live up to a legend.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You mean such as Stanford or LSU? Both of those coaches have said no to Geno multiple times over the years. At least UT wants to play UConn. Even Maryland had to use the Jimmy V Classic as an excuse to play UConn. I believe the BE is going to 2 less conference games a year next year. That's room for two more OOC games. But just remember, those coaches have to say yes first, and Geno has mentioned many times that teams aren't lining up to play OOC games against UConn. Love Dawn or hate her, she and Geno are two of the few coaches that will say "anytime, anywhere".
No, I did not mean LSU or Stanford.

Maryland did not use the Jimmy V Classic as an excuse to play UConn. Maryland agreed to a home-and-home series with UConn beginning in the 2020-21 season but the games were delayed due to Covid. The teams will play at UConn next season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pat didn’t need Geno. Tennessee had three championships before the two teams ever played. She didn’t need UConn to win the other championships either because she signed Catchings, Randall, Holdsclaw, and Harper in the fall before the 1995 championship game.

For the record, I hate you for making me defend Tennessee

View attachment 83567
Sure but as I look at these numbers, I can’t help but notice the vast majority of them happened after Martin Luther King day 1995. So that Hass to mean that they are entirely due to Geno, allowing Tennessee to playing that game. Q.E.D.

Lol, as you’ve probably guessed by now, this “Tennessee owes its success to Geno” is merely the mirror reflection of the “UConn owes its success to Pat, deciding to play a game in Connecticut in 1995.” I think it will make it a little easier for people to realize the absurdity of that argument. If not, well, it entertains me a little bit.

Oh, and a bit of fatherly advice… no one makes you do anything Nancy. Life is choices. ;)

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sure but as I look at these numbers, I can’t help but notice the vast majority of them happened after Martin Luther King day 1995. So that Hass to mean that they are entirely due to Geno, allowing Tennessee to playing that game. Q.E.D.

Lol, as you’ve probably guessed by now, this “Tennessee owes its success to Geno” is merely the mirror reflection of the “UConn owes its success to Pat, deciding to play a game in Connecticut in 1995.” I think it will make it a little easier for people to realize the absurdity of that argument. If not, well, it entertains me a little bit.

Oh, and a bit of fatherly advice… no one makes you do anything with Nancy. Life is choices. ;)
UConn doesn’t owe its success to Tennessee, just credit for help in accelerating its visibility. Better?

I still hate you.

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn doesn’t owe its success to Tennessee, just credit for help in accelerating the ascent of its visibility. Better?

I still hate you.
Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Reaction Score
After last nites debacle with Jackson and Edwards and the way the game was called I dont think UConn should ever play Tenn again. Those of you who have been around and know the history from past years well this for me is the last straw. Genos half time interview was right on and has been building up for years. Those of you who think not read my post in the postgame thread. Those of you who disagree with me dont know what has been going on for years with Tenn. We are lucky Aaliyah wasnt injured. The refs reviewed the call and call a double T. IMO Jackson shouldve been thrown out of the game for un sportsman like contact and threat to injury when she rammed Edwards when she was on top of her and Edwards was trying to get up. I am really angry over last nites game. This should be the end of the Tenn series and it is something that shouldve never been restarted. This would bring a new meaning to GO Ladyvols. Please just GO.
You would have had a stroke if you were a Syracuse or Georgetown fan of the men's game in the old ,great Big East. Thar rivalry,the hard nosed, overtly physical play, more than anything else made The Big East the best basketball league in college. Made Duke-Carolina look like A Cotillion.

JordyG

Reaction Score
No, I did not mean LSU or Stanford.

Maryland did not use the Jimmy V Classic as an excuse to play UConn. Maryland agreed to a home-and-home series with UConn beginning in the 2020-21 season but the games were delayed due to Covid. The teams will play at UConn next season.
Then what other teams would you like to see UConn play?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I love you Rock man, but what makes you think Geno's motives for playing the Summitteers were egalitarian? What makes you believe that one of Geno's strategies wasn't as you've ascribed to Pat? With the added advantage of playing them at the friendly confines. Geno since has adopted the same strategy of playing anyone, anywhere. The players play checkers on the court indeed, but coaches play chess.
You misread me. Geno's motives were those of a strategic thinking coach and I'm not critical of Pat for her motives. I am annoyed by those who think Pat was being altruistic in agreeing to play the Huskies.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You misread me. Geno's motives were those of a strategic thinking coach and I'm not critical of Pat for her motives. I am annoyed by those who think Pat was being altruistic in agreeing to play the Huskies.
Understood.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Then what other teams would you like to see UConn play?
More Big 10 teams like Indiana, Ohio State and Michigan.

Start a series with Duke. UNC and UConn have already agreed to a series.

Looks like UConn and Arizona will soon start up a series. I'd like to add the Oregon teams as well.

Just to name a few.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Looks like UConn and Arizona will soon start up a series. I'd like to add the Oregon teams as well.

Just to name a few.
.......don't forget UCLA. :) There are a lot of UConn WBB fans here in So Cal.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Tony

Like many, I agree that the refs "chickened out" in the Aaliyah call(s)
but you can't blame UTenn for that.

The series draws large, enthusiastic crowds, is followed by National TV
and our program gained from playing the game....

Even if it doesn't have the same meaning as it did in the past, if both coaches desire it to continue, it should.

Don't let the animosity of the past overwhelm your good sense.
I don't believe "the animosity [is] of the past" for Tennessee's fans or the program.

Reaction Score
And that's a perfect reason to NOT play this game/series. Any true UCONN fan does not want anything that will help TN.
I don't agree. If we are going define a "true" fan in terms of who should we play as a fan imo any "true" UCONN fan will want the Admin to keep making the same overall decisions they've been making the past 30+ years. As I posted earlier, Notre Dame is much worse than Tenn if we are going to go down this rabbit-hole. I'd prefer to agree with UCONN though, in any manner, as results are king in any conversation. And results for scheduling are part of the overall success - so just keep it going.

Reaction Score
If I may add. The reason the series was ended had alot to do with EDD Maya and Caroline Doty coming to UConn and Tenn thought they were getting at least 2 of them. There was some gossip and lies that arose from the Orange checkerboard that killed the series. Then again from what I was told and those of you who sat with me at City Steam for lunch before the final game with Pat in Hartford may remember the LV fans coming up to our table of 20+ and telling us about what was being planned at Tenn to ruin UConn. That was the 37 page NCAA violation which was ment to take no prisoners' and take UConn down. Tenn knew when UConn got EDD Maya and Caroline to commit it was the beginning of the end of their program. I will not print the specifics or details but what UConn and some of their fans went through with Compliance officers and the NCAA was far beyond conceivable that any program could muster up. Geno did Tenn WCBB and ESPN a favor by renewing the Tenn UConn game....believe me.
Why do we have to rehash all that trashy old history? The game has an electric atmosphere, as it did in CT…the fans and players get up for it…and heck, UConn has many more players hurt in their own practices than in Tenn games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a note to scheduling OOC games - all coaches like to rotate their OOC schedules, and especially as it relates to coast v coast teams. Yes Stanford and Uconn have played and stopped and played home and home series over the years, as did Baylor and others. Specific to Geno:

1. He likes a varied regional away schedule partly for recruiting purposes. West Coast, SW/Texas, South, Mid-Atlantic, NE, Great Lakes,and Mid-West being sort of the boundaries - doesn't hit them all every year, but in a two year period he probably does. The BE conferences covers quite a few by itself.

2. He likes to play at least one team from each of the P5 conference every year - means he gets tape on every team in all P5 conferences playing one of the teams his team has played. He also doesn't want to overload on a single conference. I think he once ended up with 4 ACC opponents his but preference is two per conference with occasionally a 3rd from a in season tournament.

3. He likes the games to be competitive, so looks mostly at the top third of any conference. He has favorites (based on friendships with coaches) but also likes a rotation so trades out opponents with some regularity.

4. He like all coaches are influenced by national broadcasters and their requests, school and athletic administration requests, and friendships/connections to other coaches. When a former player/assistant coach with a different program requests a game he tries to accommodate them. There is also probably a list of coaches and programs he will not play - TN was on that list for a decade and heavy pressure (and money?) was applied to bring the revival into being.

The severing of the Uconn/TN home and home series was NOT a normal rotation of schedule - TN and Pat blew it up with the intention of burying Uconn and Geno. It had the opposite effect. I have always wondered if Pat was already in the early stages of her disease during that time as the accusations thrown were clearly not accurate.

CL82

Reaction Score
The severing of the Uconn/TN home and home series was NOT a normal rotation of schedule - TN and Pat blew it up with the intention of burying Uconn and Geno. It had the opposite effect. I have always wondered if Pat was already in the early stages of her disease during that time as the accusations thrown were clearly not accurate.
I wonder to the same thing, but keep in mind it’s not like Pat went off in a dark room, and wrote the complaint herself. And she received a complaint from, let’s call it a somewhat “fervent“ website administrator, and then hand them off to her president, who intern handed off to the SEC commissioner, who made the complaint, if memory serves correctly. So, while I supposed that, a potentially diminished Pat could have made bad decisions, there were a whole lot of other people involved who don’t have that excuse.

Reaction Score
After last nites debacle with Jackson and Edwards and the way the game was called I dont think UConn should ever play Tenn again. Those of you who have been around and know the history from past years well this for me is the last straw. Genos half time interview was right on and has been building up for years. Those of you who think not read my post in the postgame thread. Those of you who disagree with me dont know what has been going on for years with Tenn. We are lucky Aaliyah wasnt injured. The refs reviewed the call and call a double T. IMO Jackson shouldve been thrown out of the game for un sportsman like contact and threat to injury when she rammed Edwards when she was on top of her and Edwards was trying to get up. I am really angry over last nites game. This should be the end of the Tenn series and it is something that shouldve never been restarted. This would bring a new meaning to GO Ladyvols. Please just GO.
Yeah. Take your ball and go home cry baby. Give me a break.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have always wondered if Pat was already in the early stages of her disease during that time as the accusations thrown were clearly not accurate.
Your question is one that I have thought about for many years. If you know anything about that terrible disease that ended Pat Summit’s life, early symptoms of Alzheimer’s often manifest themselves many years prior to actual diagnosis. Those symptoms include anxiety, irritability and confusion.

Pat ended the series with UConn in 2007. She announced her diagnosis in 2011, retired in 2012 and passed away in 2016. While I will never forgive the LV fans who encouraged Pat to go after UConn with the 37 page report to the NCAA, I have nothing but compassion and respect for Pat Summit.

Reaction Score
Attendance 13,804. TV viewers? TBD but I bet it was huge.

WBB needs more games like this - not less.
It was Tennessee' largest home crowd since 2015 according to Tenn. It's actually a typical reaction to UConn showing up on an opponent's home court. UConn is the best thing to happen to women's college basketball. Actually, UConn is the best thing to happen to women's basketball.......period! The WNBA would kill for attendance figures like that.
I hope they don't cancel the Tenn game, especially when it's played in Tenn. The good people of Tenn deserve to see what a great women's basketball team looks like.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Just to name a few.
Sounds good. But all of this is contingent on those teams agreeing to play Geno. I would rather play PAC 12 teams since I believe, and I've stated this for many years, that this has been the superior conference. I'd rather play Stanford, UCLA, or Oregon. Duke would be nice, but I'd rather Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom