NEVER play TENN again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NEVER play TENN again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Attendance 13,804. TV viewers? TBD but I bet it was huge.

WBB needs more games like this - not less.
I agree. And Geno doesn't treat this game as any old game either, so it does have extra meaning ("what that is, I don't know" he said in the pre-game press conference) even as an out of conference game, because Geno doesn't react the way he did to Lou's 26 pts last night if the opponent was Butler or Xavier.

Reaction Score
A few weeks ago I mentioned they should cancel the Tenn and SC games, because we don’t know if, or when, Azzi and Caroline will return. And I was shredded for it. These games will be physical, that’s SEC play for you. We can lose anymore players, especially someone like Aaliyah. Luckily she wasn’t hurt on the play.
If UConn seeks to avoid physical play, it should cancel its Big East games as well.

Reaction Score
The previous history is what it is good and bad, but I don't see a major ongoing problem as a result of last night. The officiating was bad, but I don't see that as a Tennessee issue, that is just about the refs, who considering Geno's comments are unlikely to be doing a Uconn/Tennessee game in the future.

Regarding Jackson/Edwards, that was obviously a bad call too, and Jackson has a little bit of a reputation, but that is an individual player who is a senior we won't be playing against again, unless we meet in the NCAA tournament. I don't think what Jackson did was some kind of a premeditated plan. It was more of a spontaneous reaction from a hothead. So if in the future it is different refs, and no Jackson, why assume we have an ongoing problem here caused directly somehow by the Tennessee program.

I get it is a bitter rivalry, very chippy, and at least being physical with us perhaps was part of the game plan, but so what. Being physical with us is probably a good strategy. We don't have a bench right now, so a tough game with lots of fouls works to their advantage. For our players it was don't get caught up with the extra-curricular activity, adjust to the referring as best you can, keep your composure, and play your game.

We lost our way a little when we were tired in the second quarter, but for the most part we played with poise and didn't get wrapped up in the things that don't matter. We handled the hostile crowd and after adjusting, the aggressive play as well. Blaming the school or the program for the officiating or the spontaneous reaction of one player is a stretch at best IMO.

This game is good for women's basketball, both programs and their players, and the fans like us. If I thought the Tennessee program was directly responsible for the poor officiating, or directed Jackson to play dirty and try to injure someone, my reaction would be different, but that seems like a giant reach to me.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

I wonder why UConn ventures to Hartford for big games (I know it has 6,000 more seats) and loses the student numbers of an on campus facility. I am sure Dawn Staley would prefer to play in Hartford over Gampel. UConn gives up part of the home court advantage going to Hartford.
you're right. but $ conquers all.

unfortunately.

Reaction Score
What no one needs are games that are not controlled, managed, fairly officiated, and are physically out of control. There is a crisis in the sport going on in front of our very eyes. You are going to see a life threatening injury soon, then you are going to see a lawsuit or lawsuits, and then they may do something just like some many things the NCAA didn't do correctly in the past. They are not training and teaching their refs correctly, they are not monitoring them properly and they need new rules designed to eliminate this nonsense, and they need it yesterday. If the refs last night got called to task on that "sit down on" foul on Aaliyah it wouldn't happen again. In my view, all 3 of them should be suspended for 2 weeks. Then they would wake up. Right now, it's play at your peril.

Reaction Score
A few weeks ago I mentioned they should cancel the Tenn and SC games, because we don’t know if, or when, Azzi and Caroline will return. And I was shredded for it. These games will be physical, that’s SEC play for you. We can lose anymore players, especially someone like Aaliyah. Luckily she wasn’t hurt on the play.
What?

Yes we play physical. Do we play dirty? I don’t think so. Is it a hate filled rivalry? I don’t think so. Players o. Neither side want to hurt each other and many have friendships of the court. Many will be teammates at the next level

Do you think UConn doesn’t play physical defense? They give as good as they get.

But I know Geno doesn’t share your view. He wants his players to experience playing physical ( but clean) opponents during the season so they are ready to face that style in the tourney.

I don’t like Tennessee but I certainly want US to play them every year.

Edit: if you were talking about cancelling this year, I could live with. Wouldn’t like it but we owe you for Geno’s graciousness last year. But cancelling the series? Gog forbid!

Reaction Score
If UConn seeks to avoid physical play, it should cancel its Big East games as well.
You’re right because when I think of the rough Big East play, Creighton, Xavier, Seton Hall, Nova’s defense are comparable to SC, Tenn, Georgia, Mizzu, and the like.. tf outta here

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've been saying this since they renewed the game. TN doesn't deserve to be on the same court as UCONN. Not from a competitive stance, but from the stance that UCONN should not give any acceptance to that EVIL. It's beneath UCONN. Don't give TN a platform.

Besides, we play enough unranked teams as it is. Don't need another one.

Reaction Score
What?

Yes we play physical. Do we play dirty? I don’t think so. Is it a hate filled rivalry? I don’t think so. Players o. Neither side want to hurt each other and many have friendships of the court. Many will be teammates at the next level

Do you think UConn doesn’t play physical defense? They give as good as they get.

But I know Geno doesn’t share your view. He wants his players to experience playing physical ( but clean) opponents during the season so they are ready to face that style in the tourney.

I don’t like Tennessee but I certainly want US to play them every year.
Where did I say y’all play dirty? I said physical. If you drew that connection, that’s on you

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of course, but my point is the misattribution of that sentiment to Geno.
Yeah, when I see Tony’s post, I see him complaining predominantly about the officiating and his reference about Geno doesn’t seem to suggest anything more than that.

6609A12D-A14E-4322-9912-1191694BFABE.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One more comment on scheduling. Next year the NBE regulator season goes from a 20 game schedule down to only 18. That necessitates that UConn schedule 2 additional OOC games.

In case folks haven’t heard, teams aren’t knocking down the door to schedule UConn. The fact that KJH and the LV’s are willing to continue to play UConn is an absolute positive considering all the P5 teams that want no part of the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Well here's my 2 cents.UCONN should continue to play TENN ,ND, SC,STANFORD and any other " tough or dirty " team out there becauseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I get the biggest kick out of UCONN when UCONN shows those teams they are not in the same realm of BB that UCONN is. Just the beat down we put on these teams and our records with them back me up,is proof. I say play them and enjoy the kick*** wins we almost always get. GENO has instilled in all his players that if we play right, the way UCONN plays, we will win!!!!! there can never be enough said about UCONN! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
After last nites debacle with Jackson and Edwards and the way the game was called I dont think UConn should ever play Tenn again.
@Tonyc , gotta love you man but got to agree to disagree on this one. This would have Geno taking the low road just as Pat did plain and simple. I remember going to women's games when you got in free with only a handful of folks if you had a ticket for the men's game afterwords. Those days are gone due to the continued growth of the game and a good chunk of the uptick can be credited to this match up. That and coaches willing to play anyone, anywhere, anytime.
ESPN in prime time is priceless to continue the growth and interest in the women's game.

I just think WCBB is better off with UConn playing Tennessee.
Badda bing badda boom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta disagree with the comment that Tenn is a rivalry.
@Tonyc again no attack or disrespect but many of us fans feel this is very, very much a rivalry and enjoy the fact. That and the attention it brings to the women's game. A rivalry basically by definition is simply competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.
It is also a recruiting tool due to the exposure the game is given. Yes some can claim Tenn is not in the top 25 at this time but obviously just outside and a much more enticing than some teams in our own conference.
With the women's game still slowly growing it needs every single bit of infusion it can get. Bring on Rocky Top! Once a year home and home.

Reaction Score
Yeah, when I see Tony’s post, I see him complaining predominantly about the officiating and his reference about Geno doesn’t seem to suggest anything more than that.

View attachment 83542
Who did pick the referees? ESPN? The two schools? I would like to know. I'm very cynical about the way the first half was officiated.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I want UConn to continue to play UT if only because of the warm, fuzzy feeling I get after UConn humiliates them - again and again. I don't care about the team, I just revel in the agony of the fans. And as an added bonus this year in their house in front of 13,000 orange folks.

Reaction Score
As many of you know, there will be two more out of conference games that will be scheduled next year and onwards. We should be playing the best teams from the best conferences. Some of them will not want to play us. So if Tenn is among the best teams that agrees to play us, we should agree to play them.

Many teams play hard. I don’t know that any particular team has a reputation for injuring the opposing players. Referees and coaches are supposed to control that.

One reason for traveling across the country and sometimes abroad is to attract talent from those locations. We need to keep doing that.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I am angry with whats been going on at Tenn for years. Its not about physical play. Its about as Geno once said something like when you play in Tenn you better have a 10 pt lead with 2 minutes to go and pray. Interpret it anyway you like. Genos response to Holly I interpreted as the calls and non calls went against UConn in the second qtr. Then the Aaliyah Jackson incident. The refs need to consistently call the game. The icing on the cake was the Edwards Jackson debacle. We outshot Tenn from the floor and from 3. We had the lead the entire game but they went to the line more then UConn. They had more turnovers we had more fouls with the lead???? Yes they out rebounded us and that was imo because we were pushed shoved and hacked when trying to rebound and in position.

Reaction Score
I liked the way it went down last night. I think the rivalry renewed last night. I think because of last night game, Tennessee will get better players that want to be a part of this game and it will only get more intense. Mark my words. I love it because it’s what brought me into the sport. That first game is when I fell in love with the sport. As long as no one gets hurt, I like the intensity and seeing our girls not back down and then win. ITS AWESOME!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Who did pick the referees? ESPN? The two schools? I would like to know. I'm very cynical about the way the first half was officiated.
I think the refs are assigned by the conference of the home team but am not sure

Reaction Score
I get that some folks are upset and want to end the Lady Vols series. I am not in that crowd. I hope that we continue these Tennessee games. This is a rivalry game. There is going to be some dust ups between rivals. It makes the game extra intense. That is why they call them rivalry games.

As for why the series should continue, just my opinion, these two teams are the cornerstones of women's basketball. They bring the hype, the ratings, and the glitz and glamour of the women's game. Sure, there is Stanford and now South Carolina. Notre Dame is getting back into the fold. But nothing brings attention like UConn/Tennessee women's basketball, and I hope that they continue this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom