Needed next year: one transfer guard | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Needed next year: one transfer guard

Reaction Score
A few points germane to next year’s bigs discussion:

4. Given all factors, I project next year’s Starting 5 to be Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ice, & Dorka. Aubrey, Nika, & Ayanna will play consistent rotation min. The better practice performer b/w Piath & Amari will also get regular time, with the other playing in blowouts. If Aubrey returns strong from her back surgery & impresses in summer/fall practices, she may push Caroline to the bench, with both playing often. I can see Geno adding a grad transfer guard for depth, considering positional importance & injury string that has befallen this year’s team.
I can't see Aubrey EVER pushing Caroline to the bench without a greatly improved offensive game.

Reaction Score
I think one of her issues is that she is weak relative to what she needs to be to play down low. On a recent video interview a practice player said she had the best jump shot form he ever saw on any player. And he added that "she makes them". Maybe like Patterson/Edwards or SCar's Wilson she dreamt of being a perimeter player and spent her time developing an outside shot?

Everyone seems to want a guard as added insurance in case of injury. Try and find one that can learn the system and integrate herself into the team after one summer. Those that have the skills necessary will have multiple other options which will include possibly starting, something that will not be available in Storrs.
I say find a defensive standout that wants to go pro, lacks offensive skills and will use a year in Storrs like it's the G League.

Finding Juhasz at the right time was a stroke of good fortune. Finding an equally talented guard willing to sit most of the time won't be easy. I'd rather Geno use his energy on '23/'24/'25 HS talent.
He said that regarding Azzi. Of Amari he said she had great shooting form for "a big". Considerable difference there.

Reaction Score
Or physical maturity.
Circumstances so often dictate a player's development, even the opportunity for development. I just watched part of Christyn's breakout game vs. ND in Dec. '18 and was struck by how green ONO was. That she was surrounding by All-Americans and that her freshman teammate had a memorable game mostly disguised the fact that Liv was nowhere ready for prime time, quite possibly not as ready as either Amari or Piath is now.

I have high hopes both of those players will develop significantly by next season, and that one day at least Amari will be a standout.

Reaction Score
I can't see Aubrey EVER pushing Caroline to the bench without a greatly improved offensive game.
I expect to see Aubrey show a willingness to shoot & make midrange shots & 3’s next year. Aside from needed roster balance, her size & pro projection require that she transition from an undersized post to a more conventional wing, which necessitates floor spacing & ability to threaten from outside paint. Doing so will also open her already formidable straight line drives to hoop.

I recall Aubrey hitting a 3 during last year’s 1:1 practice sequence against gag Geno wearing headband & jersey.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised to see this evolution in Aubrey’s game.

I deferred to Aubrey starting based on this anticipated improvement & her senior tenure, with the disclaimer that she earn it during summer/fall practices.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Found this in Nov 2018 Ivy Hoops Online article:

“Abby Meyers will have to take a year away from the team and the university due to a “misunderstanding” in her computer science class that violated university policy, the Trentonian noted.“
A year punishment for a "misunderstanding"? That's a helluva misunderstanding. :eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Let's make it simple. Next season, with no transfers, we will have 6 bigs (Aaliyah, Dorka likely, Pliath, Amari, Yanna and Ice) to fill 2 forward slots. On the other hand, we will have 4 guards (Paige, Caroline, Azzi and Nika) to fill 3 slots and realistically Nika can only sub at point.
This is why I suggested the need for a guard as we plainly have options in the forecourt but are stretched extremely thin in the backcourt.
I don't account for Aubrey as we have no idea about her availability after such serious surgery.
Yea, I'm going to have to go with you on this one. Very good reasoning.

Geno likes to play 3 guards, and has been known to play 4. (works well offensively in 4-out sets). He'll probably have to use Griffin and Patterson in the 3 spot, but that may not be ideal.

So yea, a transfer guard for one year until Shade and Arnold come in would definitely be helpful. Not sure there will be anyone out there that would fit, but it would sure be nice.

Reaction Score
A year punishment for a "misunderstanding"? That's a helluva misunderstanding. :eek:

To be more specific, she was accused by Princeton of “academic misconduct” related to an online exam when she was not on campus. Princeton has an honor code, and after a hearing, she was deemed to be in violation of it.. She denies the charges.

Reaction Score
To be more specific, she was accused by Princeton of “academic misconduct” related to an online exam when she was not on campus. Princeton has an honor code, and after a hearing, she was deemed to be in violation of it.. She denies the charges.
Makes sense, from personal experience of a college peer. Ivy League takes this stuff very seriously, with harsh consequences. Article “misunderstanding” term diplomatic.

Reaction Score
Following excerpt from:

Ivy League​

1645814949846.png

Abby Meyers, Princeton Tigers

No Ivy League opponent has come within single digits of the Tigers, who have resumed their pre-pandemic dominance of the conference. Meyers is the biggest reason why. The 6-0 senior has scored in double figures in every game this season, including 18 in an upset of Florida Gulf Coast and 21 against Texas, the two ranked opponents Princeton has faced this season. Meyers leads the Ivy in points (18.0 PPG), field goals (154) and 3-point field goal percentage (41.4%). And she's nearly as good on the other end of the floor, ranking 20th nationally in defensive win shares, according to Her Hoop Stats data. If anyone is handing out most improved awards, Meyers could also be up for any of those after averaging just 6.3 PPG the last time the Tigers had a season in 2019-20.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Following excerpt from:

Ivy League​

View attachment 73757
Abby Meyers, Princeton Tigers

No Ivy League opponent has come within single digits of the Tigers, who have resumed their pre-pandemic dominance of the conference. Meyers is the biggest reason why. The 6-0 senior has scored in double figures in every game this season, including 18 in an upset of Florida Gulf Coast and 21 against Texas, the two ranked opponents Princeton has faced this season. Meyers leads the Ivy in points (18.0 PPG), field goals (154) and 3-point field goal percentage (41.4%). And she's nearly as good on the other end of the floor, ranking 20th nationally in defensive win shares, according to Her Hoop Stats data. If anyone is handing out most improved awards, Meyers could also be up for any of those after averaging just 6.3 PPG the last time the Tigers had a season in 2019-20.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Caroline Ducharme is so impersonal. Imagine getting a new job and everyone calls you Bob36 because, out of hundreds of employees over the past 50 years, you're the 36th one named Bob. It's got nothing to do with who you are as a person or what your contribute or indeed any similarity to a previous employee named Bob. More like, "you're a faceless cog in the machine."
But... Caroline Ducharme is her name!! ... surely not " impersonal". I usually
use "Caroline" when I refer to her in writing, and I like the sound of
a verbal "Du.. charme". I amjust happy that UCONN and the Boneyard
have her on "our" team. IMO Z

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Abby Meyers will play somewhere next year. As folks have noted, she's from the D.C. suburbs. If Geno doesn't pick her up, Brenda will. She will help the team GPA as well as it's on-court performance.

Reaction Score
Uhhh how many players does UCOnn have next year even if Dorka comes back?
(Hint: it’s less than 12)

Reaction Score

If Uconn only have 10 players this year, it may have had to forfeit some games for not having enough players to field a team on game day.

Reaction Score
Thinking way too far ahead, all this year's injuries and illness have me looking at how exposed we will be next year at the guard position when E and CW move on.

While the quality of a back court of Paige, Charmer and Azzi is dazzling, the only backup would be Nika.

I think Geno was hoping to lure Kiki Rice as a 22-23 commit, but she is UCLA-bound and we will have to look to the transfer portal for much needed help for one year until Shade and KK Arnold come to fill the gap the following year.

But for a potential transfer, the very greatness of our "Big Three" could be a significant hindrance. How much time could she expect? On the other hand, our need for insurance against injury has to be a great concern.
You opened my eyes to a need I had not thought about. You are right about the existing guards being a negative for incoming transfers.
The one hold back for me on taking ANY transfer, unless she is Dorks or Evina, is that learning he Uconn system takes most of the year for newbies. Some never learn it. Dorka is really unique in her quick learning and being useful quickly. She deserves a lot of credit for her quick learning--obviously she put in a lot of hours to get to where she is.

Reactions: PvP

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom