Needed next year: one transfer guard | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Needed next year: one transfer guard

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hoping she comes to Storrs, MH. Assuming Carla Berube giving Geno insider perspective.

I did read that Abby left (had to leave?) Princeton for a year, which was curious.

I don't know about that, but the Ivy League chose not to play basketball last year due to Covid, and I believe the season was lost for all players. Despite the NCAA rule allowing players to play another year, the Ivies did not allow that. Thus, Abby's career at Princeton will be only 3 years in length. She can play elsewhere as a Grad Transfer, but not at another Ivy. Yes, Carla would give Geno an honest assessment of Abby.

Reaction Score
I just don't agree. We have big guards. Being in the Big East, I'd like a smaller guard too that can really go after those little pesky BE guards. I am picturing a Hartley, MoJeff, Lorin Dixon, Danger type guard...
We need someone like Diamond Johnson who transferred to North Carolina State last season. Someone like her would would be perfect for us.

Reaction Score
I think Brady is going to be really good right away. It will always take time to adjust to the pace and physicality of the college game, but her offensive package is polished in ways that of the other UConn bigs are not.
Yeah, I am very excited about Ice! I think she’s going to be a star for us. Ayanna too, but I think she is more difficult to project. I’m sure she will also be a star but she just seems less of a finished product. Having said that, her upside may be higher than Ice’s.

Reaction Score
Found this in Nov 2018 Ivy Hoops Online article:

“Abby Meyers will have to take a year away from the team and the university due to a “misunderstanding” in her computer science class that violated university policy, the Trentonian noted.“

Here’s the article link:

On the plus side, Abby was named to the Beck Hammon mid-season award watch list honoring best mid-major player:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need someone like Diamond Johnson who transferred to NC State last season.
The issue with such a high pedigree transfer is playing time & potential chemistry problem as a result, if the player doesn’t get expected minutes. The caliber of our existing guards will make extensive PT for an incoming G transfer unlikely.

Also, with both KK Arnold & Ashlynn Shade arriving in 2023 & no guards graduating before then, a 1-year grad transfer is really the only viable solution. A player of DJ’s ilk typically transfers with multiple years of eligibility remaining. They would be aware of existing talent/depth & pipeline.

Finally, a grad transfer brings maturity & experience, which will be valuable with E/Liv/C departing & only Aubrey (& perhaps Dorka) as seniors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well at least Evina does, do the others? Personally, I like the name Caroline and don't understand why she needs a nickname other than CD or Caroline Ducharme.

Caroline Ducharme is so impersonal. Imagine getting a new job and everyone calls you Bob36 because, out of hundreds of employees over the past 50 years, you're the 36th one named Bob. It's got nothing to do with who you are as a person or what your contribute or indeed any similarity to a previous employee named Bob. More like, "you're a faceless cog in the machine."

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Can we come up with a better nickname than Charmer for Caroline?
I go with Caroline , online. When watching the games on TV with my wife, after an interesting/surprising move I've found myself referring quite loudly to Caroline as. . . Da Charm. :cool:

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Geno has said his first consideration when looking at a potential transfer is her motivation for transferring. Dorka wanted to play at UConn because she wanted to improve her game. She is here. Mir wanted more minutes so she transferred out. A player who is hesitant to play back-up is not even going to get considered by Geno. So any player intimidated by our "bIg three" is not going to be considered by Geno, they won't have a chance to decline an offer. Anybody he makes an offer to is going to be motivated to compete for a national championship coming off the bench.
or...some may want to be better prepared for potential as a pro. You can be a bench player at UConn and end up being a WNBA lottery pick a la Kiah Stokes.

Reaction Score
Caroline Ducharme is so impersonal. Imagine getting a new job and everyone calls you Bob36 because, out of hundreds of employees over the past 50 years, you're the 36th one named Bob. It's got nothing to do with who you are as a person or what your contribute or indeed any similarity to a previous employee named Bob. More like, "you're a faceless cog in the machine."
As I said, I see no reason why she needs a nickname! Caroline fits her well in my opinion and it's her name. However, people here (including me) are going to refer to her as CD and Caroline Ducharme depending on the situation. Referring to a player by his/her initials is rather customary in sports, same as calling a player by his/her jersey number.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We need someone like Diamond Johnson who transferred to North Carolina State last season. Someone like her would would be perfect for us.
There is no D in Diamond Johnson, UCONN doesn't need someone like her.

Reaction Score
I think she's more of a wing than a guard, but does anyone else like Abby Meyers from Princeton?

6 feet, 18 points, 6 boards, shoots 44/40/83.
Yes I like, and being more wing is actually a good thing. The most likely role is backup to Christyn and Caroline. The need to provide backup point guard minutes is minimal because Paige will play big minutes and we have another natural PG in Nika behind her.

Reaction Score
or...some may want to be better prepared for potential as a pro. You can be a bench player at UConn and end up being a WNBA lottery pick a la Kiah Stokes.
In addition, for players looking to become coaches, no better experience to put on your resume than a year with UConn, Geno, etc. Would help as well for any players considering Europe. Particularly if that year includes a Final 4 or Championship. Remember, a first year WNBA salary is about $60,000, about the same as a mid to lower level assistant womens college coach. The new SuperMax deals in the $221K range don't come close to what coaches make. Minutes played may not be the primary issue in choosing a college for a 5th year player.

Reaction Score
Yes I like, and being more wing is actually a good thing. The most likely role is backup to Christyn and Caroline. The need to provide backup point guard minutes is minimal because Paige will play big minutes and we have another natural PG in Nika behind her.
You're assuming Christyn comes back next year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no D in Diamond Johnson, UCONN doesn't need someone like her.
We already have a backup guard that specializes in defense, I’d like to have one with some offense as well!

Reaction Score
We already have a backup guard that specializes in defense, I’d like to have one with some offense as well!
Concur. Also, key point with Abby Meyers is that she is another ball handler. Princeton lists her as a guard but she has enough size to play the 3 in pinches. Either way, we know Geno prefers to have multiple ball handlers on floor simultaneously & really values floor spacing, which is driven by players that can shoot, esp from range. Meyers checks both boxes.

Reaction Score
Btw, latest Charlie Crème Bracketology projection placing Princeton with us in Storrs would be a nice catalyst for Abby Meyers potential transfer, assuming that’s being considered by both parties.

Last edited:

PvP

Reaction Score
Let's make it simple. Next season, with no transfers, we will have 6 bigs (Aaliyah, Dorka likely, Pliath, Amari, Yanna and Ice) to fill 2 forward slots. On the other hand, we will have 4 guards (Paige, Caroline, Azzi and Nika) to fill 3 slots and realistically Nika can only sub at point.
This is why I suggested the need for a guard as we plainly have options in the forecourt but are stretched extremely thin in the backcourt.
I don't account for Aubrey as we have no idea about her availability after such serious surgery.

Reaction Score
I think we need a big post more than a guard, especially if Dorka leaves.
I agree 100%. Liv will be sorely missed especially if Dorka leaves. Who would we have at C/PF? 2 kids who get very little playing time this year and 2 high school kids next year? UConn could be very thin there. (Oops forget Edwards)

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Liv will be sorely missed especially if Dorka leaves. Who would we have at C/PF? 2 kids who get very little playing time this year and 2 high school kids next year? UConn could be very thin there.
WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP FORGETTING ABOUT AALIYAH EDWARDS?! Sorry to pick on you when so many came before you but...she'll be very important next year.

Reaction Score
WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP FORGETTING ABOUT AALIYAH EDWARDS?! Sorry to pick on you when so many came before you but...she'll be very important next year.
Wow, you're quick. Posted just before I edited my oversight. Good catch and quick fingers. :)

Reaction Score
This all starts in ernest when Dorka confirms she is coming
back next year... which I hope ( and expect ) to happen.
Does UCONN have a good Ph.D. program is Psychology?
Stay for two reasons Dorka: a WBB education ( and NC ring)
and a academic education!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom