Minus Dorka ( strong feeling)
That leaves 8.
Aubrey?
Back injury-huge question mark.
No go?-down to 7
Two incoming highly touted rookies.
Back up to 9.
That is not enough players.
Piath and Deberry ready to meaningfully contribute next year?
No injuries next year?
Without addition(s) we come out with a short roster from day 1.

Reaction Score
I think the "Silent Assassin" works for me, and fits her personality. I forget who came up with that but should give that person kudos.
Paige gave her that nickname

Reaction Score
I think that Caroline Ducharme is perfectly unambiguous, and is concise as well.

With regard to the transfer portal, I agree that we should be interested in a guard with general guard skills who can play at a UConn level, if such a player is available via transfer. However, don't forget that next year we should have Aubrey back, and if she has developed a reasonable jump shot, she should be ideal for a 2/3 position as a backup to Caroline. She will certainly provide the kind of speed and defense that we don't really have on this year's roster, apart from Christyn.

@jonack: I don't think Dorka will leave, and don't forget that we have two fairly big players coming in, including one who can jump through the ceiling, by all accounts. And we should not rule out further development by Piath and Amari. I think the front court is a low priority for transfers-in.
After this year, it began with 15, ending with 10 or 9. I'm for getting 15 with 3 for every position. Injuries for these past year (s) and transfers quickly dropped 15 to 10. Get all you can legally get.

As a not highly touted no fanfare at all. Caroline is the exception that proves the rules. An intelligent talented almost stoic kid she just goes about business and does what she does best. I'd take another 10 like her.

Reaction Score
We just need a few wealthy fans to pony up big dollars for NIL contracts for all players thinking of leaving. A few car dealers pay Dorka to be at their showrooms as long as she shows up for practice in the fall. In a few they years they offer Paige the big bucks for her to stay. What ever happened the QB supposedly going to a lower ranked school after a wealthy alum offered some big bucks. I think we have too many people on the BY who can only come up with $20 but lots of passion.

Reaction Score
Why do so many refer to Nika as a back-up? She is a starter. Even if she doesn’t start, do you see Geno not giving her significant play time? Barring injury, UConn is loaded at guard for years to come.
Your answer is in your last sentence. The I word! As for Nika, she is a starter because of injury and inexperience. She is not imo likely to start next year except if/when Geno goes with a four guard lineup. The starters are likely to be PB, Azzi, and Caroline at the guard positions. Nika will back up PB and Azzi.

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score
I get a preference for 4 year recruits in an ideal world. But if this season teaches us anything, it is that s*** happens. Recruiting doesn't always work out according to plan, and you wind up with a hole or relatively weak area. You can potentially fix it with the next year's recruits, but still have a problem for one year.

That is where a one year transfer or grad transfer can be a perfect fit. It doesn't have to get in the way of future recruits, and fills a temporary need. If Kiki Rice had committed here, there would be little talk of the transfer portal for a guard, but she didn't and there were no other guards of value we were still in the running for.

This year we had 6 guards which for part of the season was not enough. Next year we have 4. With one injury we would have no guard backups. If we had 5 we could still have a 4 guard rotation with one injury but would be in bad shape with two of them out.

2023 brings us Arnold and Shade, so we are covered then but a one year fill for next year is badly needed. That is where the transfer portal can be a perfect fit. In addition we should assume we will lose valuable players to transfer as well. We don't always know who or when, so having an occasional need for a stopgap solution is more the norm than the exception. Transfers may be plan B instead of plan A, but they will remain an important part of the mix for most teams IMO.

Reaction Score
After this year, it began with 15, ending with 10 or 9. I'm for getting 15 with 3 for every position. Injuries for these past year (s) and transfers quickly dropped 15 to 10. Get all you can legally get.

As a not highly touted no fanfare at all. Caroline is the exception that proves the rules. An intelligent talented almost stoic kid she just goes about business and does what she does best. I'd take another 10 like her.
I believe Caroline was rated #5 in the class

Reaction Score
As a not highly touted no fanfare at all. Caroline is the exception that proves the rules.
Where do people get this from? She was very highly touted and huge fanfare.

#5 at ESPN, #11 ProspectsNation

She might have been under the radar for some UConn fans only because there was so much buzz about Azzi.

But make no mistake, she was a sought after highly valued recruit.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Abby Meyers will play somewhere next year. As folks have noted, she's from the D.C. suburbs. If Geno doesn't pick her up, Brenda will. She will help the team GPA as well as it's on-court performance.
Brenda has already picked up a very similar (maybe better) player in Lavander Briggs from Florida.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Uhm... I'm pretty sure UCONN started this season with 14 players on the roster but I maybe mistaken.

Reaction Score
But... Caroline Ducharme is her name!! ... surely not " impersonal". I usually
use "Caroline" when I refer to her in writing, and I like the sound of
a verbal "Du.. charme". I amjust happy that UCONN and the Boneyard
have her on "our" team. IMO Z
LOL old post. Since then, there's something automatigc on the BY that replaces the serial number "nickname" for Caroline with her name. Even in my post complaining about the serial number. :confused:

Reaction Score
We need a guard but it will be our 4th guard, 2nd off the bench.

EDIT: CD can also play the 2 in short stretches.

Reaction Score
I think the "Silent Assassin" works for me, and fits her personality. I forget who came up with that but should give that person kudos.
I agree. I love this as a nick name for her. She made no noise and silently sneaked in and did her best and helped save our season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You didn't say 10 previous season in your original post you said past 10 years. This season started in 2021. That would be a very strange argument to make because UCONN has also lost players when the roster size was smaller as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
we-good-chris-redd.gif

Reaction Score
But... Caroline Ducharme is her name!! ... surely not " impersonal". I usually
use "Caroline" when I refer to her in writing, and I like the sound of
a verbal "Du.. charme". I amjust happy that UCONN and the Boneyard
have her on "our" team. IMO Z

I love hearing the name "Caroline" - I know instantly who we are talking about. I hate hearing "CD17" or whatever, I have to stop and try and figure it all out. Guess I'm just a simple guy ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom