Needed next year: one transfer guard | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Needed next year: one transfer guard

Reaction Score
Brady will be physical down low in the post but Yanna will be very physical down low, at the key, you name it!!!! When she starts getting serious playing time, Uconn rebounding records will be up for grabs:)

It will be Edwards and Brady banging with Boston next season. Brady's game extends out to the arc but reports here have said that she is very much at home down in the paint exchanged hip checks.

Patterson's ceiling is unlimited. She could be wcbb's version of Dr J before she leaves. I see her as a stretch 4 who can guard 2-5. She has especially quick feet for a tall player. A lot of posts need one step to get up to speed but Patterson's quickness allows her to guard all but the quickest guards outside.

It's going to be interesting to see her and Brady after a summer of conditioning and strength training.

Reaction Score
I think one of her issues is that she is weak relative to what she needs to be to play down low. On a recent video interview a practice player said she had the best jump shot form he ever saw on any player. And he added that "she makes them". Maybe like Patterson/Edwards or SCar's Wilson she dreamt of being a perimeter player and spent her time developing an outside shot?

Everyone seems to want a guard as added insurance in case of injury. Try and find one that can learn the system and integrate herself into the team after one summer. Those that have the skills necessary will have multiple other options which will include possibly starting, something that will not be available in Storrs.
I say find a defensive standout that wants to go pro, lacks offensive skills and will use a year in Storrs like it's the G League.

Finding Juhasz at the right time was a stroke of good fortune. Finding an equally talented guard willing to sit most of the time won't be easy. I'd rather Geno use his energy on '23/'24/'25 HS talent.
I’m hoping that, while finishing off the BE regular season, some time will be dedicated to Amari’s development.
Would really like to see what she’s got.
Imagine being able to harness that physically?
Atomic screens; brick wall box outs?
One can dream, no?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Thinking way too far ahead, all this year's injuries and illness have me looking at how exposed we will be next year at the guard position when E and CW move on.

While the quality of a back court of Paige, Charmer and Azzi is dazzling, the only backup would be Nika.

I think Geno was hoping to lure Kiki Rice as a 22-23 commit, but she is UCLA-bound and we will have to look to the transfer portal for much needed help for one year until Shade and KK come to fill the gap the following year.

But for a potential transfer, the very greatness of our "Big Three" could be a significant hindrance. How much time could she expect? On the other hand, our need for insurance against injury has to be a great concern.
I keep thinking Moriah Jefferson and Lorin Dixon...luckily that was all we needed.

Reaction Score
4. Given all factors, I project next year’s Starting 5 to be Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ice, & Dorka. Aubrey, Nika, & Ayanna will play consistent rotation min. The better practice performer b/w Piath & Amari will also get regular time, with the other playing in blowouts. If Aubrey returns strong from her back surgery & impresses in summer/fall practices, she may push Caroline to the bench, with both playing often. I can see Geno adding a grad transfer guard for depth, considering positional importance & injury string that has befallen this year’s team.

Ice is not starting over Aaliyah.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m hoping that, while finishing off the BE regular season, some time will be dedicated to Amari’s development.
Would really like to see what she’s got.
Imagine being able to harness that physically?
Atomic screens; brick wall box outs?
One can dream, no?
You can certainly dream but the chances of this happening are zero. The time remaining in the season will be utilized to integrate returning players into the lineup, namely Paige and Caroline in order to make a decent tournament run.
Amari is also largely a very skilled finesse player, the thought turning her into an overly physical player is ill conceived. Any improvement in Amari's game will have to come in the off season. Make no mistake Amari needs to improve significantly to get to contributor level. Last season at this time there were many similar dreams for Piath to develop and become a UCONN contributor. While I personally believe that Amari has much more potential than Piath the reality is that Amari will likely complete her freshman year appearing in fewer games and playing fewer minutes than Piath did as a freshman.

Reaction Score
5' 6" - 5' 8" with lightning speed and a motor will do.
I think anyone under 5'8" can become a defensive liability at times with all of the 5'9"-6'1" guards out there.........now if they can play defense like Moriah or Crystal I'll be fine with it......

Reaction Score
You can certainly dream but the chances of this happening are zero. The time remaining in the season will be utilized to integrate returning players into the lineup, namely Paige and Caroline in order to make a decent tournament run.
Amari is also largely a very skilled finesse player, the thought turning her into an overly physical player is ill conceived. Any improvement in Amari's game will have to come in the off season. Make no mistake Amari needs to improve significantly to get to contributor level. Last season at this time there were many similar dreams for Piath to e edevelop and become a UCONN contributor. While I personally believe that Amari has much more potential than Piath the reality is that Amari will likely complete her freshman year appearing in fewer games and playing fewer minutes than Piath did as a freshman.
Coco- do you believe that she had a place at UCONN?
As a contributor?

Reaction Score
Ice is not starting over Aaliyah.
depends which Edwards shows up................the Edwards from the other night sure starts, the tentative Edwards I'm not so sure.......Brady looks college ready in all areas........she can pass, she can post up, she's got a midrange game and she can actually shoot the three.......she also looks plenty tough inside on defense......I'm just curious to see how her stamina is.....,.she had clearly slimmed down in the past year so I'm hopeful she can get up and down the court UConn style......

Reaction Score
Both Patterson and Brady could end up as "a foul a minute" players as freshmen.

They wouldn't be the first talented and exciting freshmen to struggle in UConn's system as freshmen. (or as sophomores)

Add in the return of Griffin and Juhasz and both of the freshmen will have to be really really good to get much playing time.

Reaction Score
It will be Edwards and Brady banging with Boston next season. Brady's game extends out to the arc but reports here have said that she is very much at home down in the paint exchanged hip checks.

Patterson's ceiling is unlimited. She could be wcbb's version of Dr J before she leaves. I see her as a stretch 4 who can guard 2-5. She has especially quick feet for a tall player. A lot of posts need one step to get up to speed but Patterson's quickness allows her to guard all but the quickest guards outside.

It's going to be interesting to see her and Brady after a summer of conditioning and strength training.
I think Brady is going to be really good right away. It will always take time to adjust to the pace and physicality of the college game, but her offensive package is polished in ways that of the other UConn bigs are not.

PvP

Reaction Score
I think Brady is going to be really good right away. It will always take time to adjust to the pace and physicality of the college game, but her offensive package is polished in ways that of the other UConn bigs are not.
Geno indicated that Brady will have some major strength and conditioning work to do before being able to being a great addition to the team next season.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget Edwards.
Good call, hoopsdiva. Egregious oversight on my behalf projecting next year’s starting lineup & rotation.

Still think Ice’s size, build, & game fit nicely with our existing starters but if Aliyah improves back on track from her freshman year, she could certainly start & will definitely play extensively.

Reaction Score
I think she's more of a wing than a guard, but does anyone else like Abby Meyers from Princeton?

6 feet, 18 points, 6 boards, shoots 44/40/83.
Hoping she comes to Storrs, MH. Assuming Carla Berube giving Geno insider perspective.

I did read that Abby left (had to leave?) Princeton for a year, which was curious.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco- do you believe that she had a place at UCONN?
As a contributor?
I most definitely believe she has a place at UCONN as a contributor if she works hard enough.

sun

Reaction Score
IMO UConn could use a replacement guard for CW that has enough finesse to thread their way through defenders in the lane on the dribble.
Otherwise we're really going to miss CW next year.
CW is one of the best and Abby Meyers won't come close to filling that void.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom