Needed next year: one transfer guard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Needed next year: one transfer guard

Reaction Score
We have one coming(Brady) and one sitting on the bench, DeBarry. I think Amari has a ton of upside.
My first reaction is: DeBerry isn't ready for prime time, will she be next season?? Someone to fill ONO's shoes is a deep hole to fill. Just when she is doing all things she needs to do , she's on the verge of leaving. I'd take another Dorka!!

Reaction Score
You seem to think that Aubrey and/or Yanna could play guard in case of injury or illness, sorry I just don't see it.

And the following year we will still have PB, Caroline Ducharme, Azzi Fudd and Nika PLUS the two incoming guards Shade and KK so I think you have your years mixed up.
Yanna?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We have one coming(Brady) and one sitting on the bench, DeBarry. I think Amari has a ton of upside.
I agree. Hopefully she’ll be ready next year. The starting post position is hers to lose. Geno tells his players: “give me a reason to play you or a reason to keep you on the bench.” How much time Amari gets will be up to her. There won’t be anyone in front of her next year.

Reaction Score
Yanna is what Ayanna Patterson's Dad calls her, works for me....
Ahhhh. I was thinking “did we get another Eastern European?” :)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Is piath ahead in terms of skill or effort? I’m guessing more so the latter. In which case Geno is just waiting for the light bulb to click on for Amari.
Oh, for sure effort. Piath is ahead in the pecking order now, but she might well not be next year. I'm expecting Amari to blossom next year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Piath seems to be ahead of Amari right now. I can see Piath being a good backup next year. I am still rooting for Amari, to be sure.
I don't know what the issues are with Amari, and why she can’t get off the bench. She needs to figure things out, and be ready to play come November. She’ll get all the minutes she wants next year.

Reaction Score
Why do so many refer to Nika as a back-up? She is a starter. Even if she doesn’t start, do you see Geno not giving her significant play time? Barring injury, UConn is loaded at guard for years to come.
We will have two point guards on the team next year, one of which, Paige, has often played shooting guard. While there may have been exceptions, I have watched UConn for 20+ years and each year, one guard gets injured for a few games or an entire season.

Reaction Score
My first reaction is: DeBerry isn't ready for prime time, will she be next season?? Someone to fill ONO's shoes is a deep hole to fill. Just when she is doing all things she needs to do , she's on the verge of leaving. I'd take another Dorka!!
Love Dorka but against the top teams, we need a big that can get very physical down low. That is not Dorka.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the issues are with Amari, and why she can’t get off the bench. She needs to figure things out, and be ready to play come November. She’ll get all the minutes she wants next year.
I think Amari's issues are in part UConn's - there aren't many blow outs this year. It seems that if there isn't an injury, the subs 7/8-12 don't get playing time. Hopefully this lack of opportunity for the bench players will not hurt their development.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Is piath ahead in terms of skill or effort? I’m guessing more so the latter. In which case Geno is just waiting for the light bulb to click on for Amari.
Or physical maturity.

Reaction Score
A few points germane to next year’s bigs discussion:

1. Recruits often grow from their listed prep profile measurements early/mid HS. So now, almost certain that Ayanna is 6’3” & Ice 6’4”. And on top of their length (& AP hops), both have rugged builds so should be able to readily handle D1 physicality in paint as frosh;

2. It’s been clear from Amari’s slender build & finesse style of play that she has not been physically ready yet to bang with similarly-sized D1 bigs. However, I expect her to take a considerable step forward in strengthening her physique & adjusting her mentality to begin earning consistent mins as a sophomore. Piath should continue her own development to become another viable rotation big. Whoever of the 2 plays better will earn the greater PT share b/w them;

3. I anticipate Dorka staying true to her word & returning next season as our starting 5, which I would relish. Counter to several opinions here, I think Dorka HAS shown that she can be physical in paint & be an impact piece for this team. Once acclimated to UConn, her strong run of games in Dec/Jan proved that. She has a rugged, mature frame & doesn’t shy away from contact, & her ability to play inside/outside stretching the floor is a huge asset & dovetails with Geno’s preferred halfcourt high-low approach;

4. Given all factors, I project next year’s Starting 5 to be Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ice, & Dorka. Aubrey, Nika, & Ayanna will play consistent rotation min. The better practice performer b/w Piath & Amari will also get regular time, with the other playing in blowouts. If Aubrey returns strong from her back surgery & impresses in summer/fall practices, she may push Caroline to the bench, with both playing often. I can see Geno adding a grad transfer guard for depth, considering positional importance & injury string that has befallen this year’s team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Amari's issues are in part UConn's - there aren't many blow outs this year. It seems that if there isn't an injury, the subs 7/8-12 don't get playing time. Hopefully this lack of opportunity for the bench players will not hurt their development.
I think one of her issues is that she is weak relative to what she needs to be to play down low. On a recent video interview a practice player said she had the best jump shot form he ever saw on any player. And he added that "she makes them". Maybe like Patterson/Edwards or SCar's Wilson she dreamt of being a perimeter player and spent her time developing an outside shot?

Everyone seems to want a guard as added insurance in case of injury. Try and find one that can learn the system and integrate herself into the team after one summer. Those that have the skills necessary will have multiple other options which will include possibly starting, something that will not be available in Storrs.
I say find a defensive standout that wants to go pro, lacks offensive skills and will use a year in Storrs like it's the G League.

Finding Juhasz at the right time was a stroke of good fortune. Finding an equally talented guard willing to sit most of the time won't be easy. I'd rather Geno use his energy on '23/'24/'25 HS talent.

Reaction Score
Brady will be physical down low in the post but Yanna will be very physical down low, at the key, you name it!!!! When she starts getting serious playing time, Uconn rebounding records will be up for grabs:)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Can we come up with a better nickname than Charmer for Caroline?
Yeah. Killer. If Brady wasn't already "Ice", Caroline Ducharme would qualify.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom