Need to shake things up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Need to shake things up

Reaction Score
I wasn’t able to watch the game, but from what I have read we turned the ball over a lot. How would that improve with both Sanogo and Clingan on the floor at the same time? Plus, who do we have to come in for them or are they expected to play 35+ minutes?
Is Richie Springs still on squad?

Reaction Score
I assume the shakeup Hurley alluded to is Newton being benched. Couldn't even guess who replaces him since nobody who could realistically be entered into the starting lineup (only Clingan has and that will rightly not happen)

Reaction Score
Jackson, Hawkins, Karaban,Sanogo, Clingan

For offense, starting lineup, and any lineup with Sanogo at the 5, is the easiest to scout for multiple reasons.

Our starting lineup, and any lineup with Sanogo at the 5, is the worst on the defensive end.

Sanogo is not great at defending the lane, and since our guards can’t keep their guy in front of them, we need Clingan to patrol the paint and clean everyone’s mess up. Similarly like Thabeet did in ‘09, granted that was a defensive style. Sanogo is already guarding 4’s/5’s out at the 3 point line anyway. Clingan can cover the void left by sanogo out on the three point line.

It also allows us to run different offense sets and still have three point threats
It's pretty clear that this is the best lineup. Why doesn't Hurley start with this? Does he light hitting his head against the wall?

Reaction Score
I was for having Diarra start, but I think Jackson at PG is the best play. We can’t hope anymore Diarra, Newton, or Alleyne, will figure it out. Season is halfway over. Jackson has to play point. You play your best players and then adjust according to each game
I think Jackson is more than capable enough to handle the point. Don't count on him to score a ton but just handle the ball. Keep your composure on D and no silly, overly aggressive fouls.

Let's try Sanongo and Clingan so we have some rim protection and we wouldn't see the double teams.

Get some shooters - Joey and AK out there with them. If they get beat on D, you have the two bigs to help out.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t able to watch the game, but from what I have read we turned the ball over a lot. How would that improve with both Sanogo and Clingan on the floor at the same time? Plus, who do we have to come in for them or are they expected to play 35+ minutes?
Sampson Johnson, hopefully, and possibly this Wednesday. Also, hopefully Johnson contributes immediately now that he is fully recovered from his foot injury.

Reaction Score
I think Jackson is more than capable enough to handle the point. Don't count on him to score a ton but just handle the ball. Keep your composure on D and no silly, overly aggressive fouls.

Let's try Sanongo and Clingan so we have some rim protection and we wouldn't see the double teams.

Get some shooters - Joey and AK out there with them. If they get beat on D, you have the two bigs to help out.
Sorry, swap Hawk for Joey

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
We have to get stops. Period. If we get stops we can run. Otherwise we're toast with this personnel

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

Excellent brain-storming here.

One thing must be said RE: using Sanogo & Clingan as Twin Towers. HURLEY MUST get Sanogo to completely buy in on making Clingan better & working to use the twin tower to full advantage. Otherwise....

I've been watching Sanogo closely as Clingan evolves. I don't think he is accepting Clingan at all. Sanogo looks like a man apart, unable to move outside his 1-2 offensive moves, rarely passing out, & never passing once to Clingan when they have played together. He believes all his pre-season hype. It's easy to see.

Sanogo thinks Clingan is taking bread off his table (it may end up that way). But if they work together & accept each other, it could work. But the odd's of success mid-season for sustainable success with these Twin Towers are not good - especially with Sanogo's obvious attitude in this scenario.

I think Sanogo needs some more "wake up" time on the pine. And Clingan should get the minutes, even with his freshman mistakes. His upside is huge. And Sanogo detracts from his rapid development. Sadly, Sanogo does not make anyone on this Huskie team better, despite his stats/

Utilizing aTwin Towers can be incredibly effective, like watching Sampson & Olajuwon play way above the square on the backboard, passing to & making each other better for Houston in the 80's. Can Sanogo do that????

Father Demo

Reaction Score

What about Hawkins?

Reaction Score
Utilizing aTwin Towers can be incredibly effective, like watching Sampson & Olajuwon play way above the square on the backboard, passing to & making each other better for Houston in the 80's. Can Sanogo do that????

Father Demo

I agree that a twin towers can be effective with the right combination of players. In Houston’s case, Sampson was a jump shooting forward in a 7-4 body. So, despite his height, he took to playing the 4 very naturally. But in our case, neither Sanogo nor Clingan is a natural 4.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

Excellent brain-storming here.

One thing must be said RE: using Sanogo & Clingan as Twin Towers. HURLEY MUST get Sanogo to completely buy in on making Clingan better & working to use the twin tower to full advantage. Otherwise....

I've been watching Sanogo closely as Clingan evolves. I don't think he is accepting Clingan at all. Sanogo looks like a man apart, unable to move outside his 1-2 offensive moves, rarely passing out, & never passing once to Clingan when they have played together. He believes all his pre-season hype. It's easy to see.

Sanogo thinks Clingan is taking bread off his table (it may end up that way). But if they work together & accept each other, it could work. But the odd's of success mid-season for sustainable success with these Twin Towers are not good - especially with Sanogo's obvious attitude in this scenario.

I think Sanogo needs some more "wake up" time on the pine. And Clingan should get the minutes, even with his freshman mistakes. His upside is huge. And Sanogo detracts from his rapid development. Sadly, Sanogo does not make anyone on this Husky team better, despite his stats/

Father Demo
I cannot like this analysis enough. Sanogo's downhill spiral started once he realized that Clingan was overtaking him. This may have been what started the locker room dysharmony that is being spoken about now.

Reaction Score
From what I have observed is that Sanogo does not have a great vertical and will never be in the same level as Olajuwon or Samson. Sanogo’s game is similar to LSU’s Big Baby. Not as huge as Big Baby, but not much game above the rim. Just the same, it would be awesome to see some minutes with both on the floor together. Just not feasible for long minutes unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Newton is a complete enigma....took 1 shot against St. John's, missed 2 FT's, had 1 assist & 1 rebound. That is the line of a disinterested player. I'm hoping he just partied too much on Saturday and was half asleep for the game.

He played pretty well at the PK tourney against good competition so he has it in him to play well in BE but just not happening for some reason. We clearly need him to be a 10+ point per game guy so DH & staff need to get him going or we're in trouble.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Newton is a complete enigma....took 1 shot against St. John's, missed 2 FT's, had 1 assist & 1 rebound. That is the line of a player of a disinterested player.
maybe it has to do with Jackson starting and dominating the ball. He was playing much better before jackson came back. With that said, not Newtown’s fault entirely. Hurley needs to see that and make the change. Newton and Jackson need to meet and figure out how to play together

Reaction Score
Sometimes it’s up to the players to take initiative. If Newtown, Alleye, Sanogo or whoever is unhappy, then prove yourself on the court. They all get enough minutes but some have done little to make the most of those minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm a casual, so I'll handle this: Start Calcaterra instead of Newton, and sub Newton in for Jackson when Andre inevitably gets in foul trouble.
Why not. Joey has shown a willingness to take it to the hoop, and he did seem to find his shot later in the game yesterday. It might hurt us on defense, so maybe play DC a little more to clean up any mistakes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom