Need to shake things up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Need to shake things up

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
With Jackson at the point I’m hoping he realizes he should drive more instead of being on the perimeter. Karaban and Hawkins can occupy the 3point line with Karaban can also mixing it up inside

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Why not. Joey has shown a willingness to take it to the hoop, and he did seem to find his shot later in the game yesterday. It might hurt us on defense, so maybe play DC a little more to clean up any mistakes.
Joey should get more minutes than those three

Reaction Score
What guard is scoring more than 4? He is the best at facilitating the offense, pushing the pace, better at entry passes and shoots a better 3point % than the guards. Not great at 3% but better than them.
Actually Jackson is shooting 29% from 3 which is worst than Newton and Calcatera. Unfortunately Jackson isn't the answer at point as he isn't a great penetrator or scorer. He should be on the court with a PG to help out. Newton and Diarra just need to play better or else we are screwed. I think it is obvious we need to play bigger up front. We just don't have much rim protection with Karaban playing next to Sanogo. Hopefully Johnson can help out there or we can get see more of the big 2 together

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Actually Jackson is shooting 29% from 3 which is worst than Newton and Calcatera. Unfortunately Jackson isn't the answer at point as he isn't a great penetrator or scorer. He should be on the court with a PG to help out. Newton and Diarra just need to play better or else we are screwed. I think it is obvious we need to play bigger up front. We just don't have much rim protection with Karaban playing next to Sanogo. Hopefully Johnson can help out there or we can get see more of the big 2 together
There is no difference between our guards running point, and Jackson. Like I said in that comment, jackson is the best at facilitating the offense, passing, pushing the pace, better at entry passes in to the bigs. He doesn’t dribble the air out of the ball. With Karaban and Hawkins on the perimeter, that will keep teams honest and allow Clingan and Sanogo to work inside. Sanogo has show he can even hit a three. IMO Sanogo needs to nail down a mid-range jumpshot so we can run a pick and pop with him. His offense near the basket is too predictably. I would like to see more pick and pops with Karaban like we ran with Giffey in 2014. We have a pick and roll with Clingan. With the big playing together, they can run some high-lows.

Defensively we have a big to guard the rim and Sanogo who can guard the four. I’m assuming we can get more stops and rebounds which will allow us to get out in transition for easier buckets

Reaction Score
I really think Newton needs to be more assertive. He looks disinterested to me. No fire. I hope Wednesday there are some changes in lineup and offense. Very predictable and just look weak.
I know what you mean about Newton. For several weeks now he's seemed to have a little smile (not exactly a smirk but different and for a while I thought he was exhibiting supreme confidence) as he approaches the FT line, doesn't drive, takes bad 3's, acts like he doesn't feel he belongs here, and gets beaten by any guard who drives on him.

Reaction Score
Can we see what the euros can do?
I was hoping DH would play Romouglu (spelling?) earlier. Probably too late now, but didn't he come here touted as someone with Greek national team credentials?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no difference between our guards running point, and Jackson. Like I said in that comment, jackson is the best at facilitating the offense, passing, pushing the pace, better at entry passes in to the bigs. He doesn’t dribble the air out of the ball. With Karaban and Hawkins on the perimeter, that will keep teams honest and allow Clingan and Sanogo to work inside. Sanogo has show he can even hit a three. IMO Sanogo needs to nail down a mid-range jumpshot so we can run a pick and pop with him. His offense near the basket is too predictably. I would like to see more pick and pops with Karaban like we ran with Giffey in 2014. We have a pick and roll with Clingan. With the big playing together, they can run some high-lows.

Defensively we have a big to guard the rim and Sanogo who can guard the four. I’m assuming we can get more stops and rebounds which will allow us to get out in transition for easier buckets
People are just go sag off Jackson and double team Sanogo when he is the PG. I rather Jackson playing off the ball and then finding met at the top of the key for passes coming off another pass. He seems to do well in that role. As a true PG I just don't see it and I doubt Hurley will do it much. He did it once in the St. John's game and it didn't work out. I just think going back to more traditional line-up is the key. We just don't have the shooters to play 4 out on this team.

Reaction Score
Why not Springs before those guys?
That's been my mantra for over a year. It seems the limited time RS plays he always gets rebounds, has size and quickness, but never gets to see the court. I keep thinking that's how Whaley was treated DH's first year and wonder if RS might blossom if he ever sees the court. If he doesn't get any play the rest of the season I hope he goes somewhere where he'll get playing time and I'll be rooting for him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
maybe it has to do with Jackson starting and dominating the ball. He was playing much better before jackson came back. With that said, not Newtown’s fault entirely. Hurley needs to see that and make the change. Newton and Jackson need to meet and figure out how to play together
Having made a similar observation about the shift in Newton's play since Jackson returned, I have no disagreement with your suggestions. I question your claiming them as "needs."

Similarly, your several posts from the past hour or so have been thoughtful without insisting upon agreement that your ideas are correct, or that the head coach stinks for not adopting them. I can't say the same about many posts I've been reading.

In addition to rattled emotions, there are more good questions than hard answers right now.

Uncertainty is often stressful and not apparent to people experiencing loss of equilibrium. I see it in the head coach, the layers, and the fans.

Thanks for today's contributions.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Jackson, Hawkins, Karaban,Sanogo, Clingan

For offense, starting lineup, and any lineup with Sanogo at the 5, is the easiest to scout for multiple reasons.

Our starting lineup, and any lineup with Sanogo at the 5, is the worst on the defensive end.

Sanogo is not great at defending the lane, and since our guards can’t keep their guy in front of them, we need Clingan to patrol the paint and clean everyone’s mess up. Similarly like Thabeet did in ‘09, granted that was a defensive style. Sanogo is already guarding 4’s/5’s out at the 3 point line anyway. Clingan can cover the void left by sanogo out on the three point line.

It also allows us to run different offense sets and still have three point threats

My concern is three fold.

1) Teams are just going to pack it in on us defensively, even more than they already are. Sanogo is not going to have any success with 4 or 5 guys defending in the space where he usually tries to create. He won't have space, and you're taking a shooter off the floor for him to kick it out to. Whenever he gets the ball, the defenders that are checking Sanogo, Clingan, and Jackson will all turn their attention to Sanogo, and neither of Clingan or Jackson will be able to make them pay from 3 on a regular basis.

2) Sanogo can't defend most 4s in this league. There was one play I saw where Sanogo had Hopkins as his assignment, Hopkins drove right around him and got an uncontested easy bucket.

3) That lineup has very little ball handling. We just turned the ball over 20 times and now we're taking a ball handler off the court? I don't see it ending well.

Reaction Score

1) Teams are just going to pack it in on us defensively, even more than they already are. Sanogo is not going to have any success with 4 or 5 guys defending in the space where he usually tries to create. He won't have space, and you're taking a shooter off the floor for him to kick it out to. Whenever he gets the ball, the defenders that are checking Sanogo, Clingan, and Jackson will all turn their attention to Sanogo, and neither of Clingan or Jackson will be able to make them pay from 3 on a regular basis.

2) Sanogo can't defend most 4s in this league. There was one play I saw where Sanogo had Hopkins as his assignment, Hopkins drove right around him and got an uncontested easy bucket.

3) That lineup has very little ball handling. We just turned the ball over 20 times and now we're taking a ball handler off the court? I don't see it ending well.
1) Sanogo isn't kicking it out to any shooters in a timely fashion or on target when we have "shooters" on the court so I don't see how that matters.

2) Sanogo isn't defending anyone as it is.

3) Newton is just walking the ball up the court and not attacking at all in the halfcourt and Diarra plays out of control. It's unconscionable that Hurley is in year 5 and we don't have a point guard but Jackson sadly looks like our best bet, I don't think surrounding him with our 4 other best players is a bad idea. Sticking with what we're doing certainly doesn't look like it will work.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

There’s a reason a lineup change is needed. It’s because what we’re putting out there is horrendous. We’ve tried every lineup for extended periods of time except this one.

Think of a lineup where Clingan plays at the 5 and plays ~30 minutes a game, and we keep Karaban and Hawkins on the floor. Do you want Newton or Joey at point and have Jackson off the bench?

Sanogo has to play the 4 because he can’t guard the rim. He doesn’t even look at the ball when the guard is driving. He’s already out there guarding the three point line and would have Clingan to protect the rim. Teams won’t be able to body him like they do to Karaban and even Jackson.

We turned the ball over that much WITH the guards on the floor. If we don’t get stops, teams can set their defense and pressure us. We have to get stops. I’d rather guard and protect east baskets, dunks and layups, and let teams take contested threes

If all defenders are on sanogo, then that leaves Hawkins open for three, Karaban open for three, and Clingan for a dunk. As I said earlier, Sanogo is going to be able to or have to, kick it out to an open man (which there will be if they all guard Sanogo) and he’ll have to hit a midrange jumper. He has to change his game. There’s not a question about it because he has been so easy to game plan for.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
There’s a reason a lineup change is needed. It’s because what we’re putting out there is horrendous. We’ve tried every lineup for extended periods of time except this one.

Think of a lineup where Clingan plays at the 5 and plays ~30 minutes a game, and we keep Karaban and Hawkins on the floor. Do you want Newton or Joey at point and have Jackson off the bench?

Sanogo has to play the 4 because he can’t guard the rim. He doesn’t even look at the ball when the guard is driving. He’s already out there guarding the three point line and would have Clingan to protect the rim. Teams won’t be able to body him like they do to Karaban and even Jackson.

We turned the ball over that much WITH the guards on the floor. If we don’t get stops, teams can set their defense and pressure us. We have to get stops. I’d rather guard and protect east baskets, dunks and layups, and let teams take contested threes

If all defenders are on sanogo, then that leaves Hawkins open for three, Karaban open for three, and Clingan for a dunk. As I said earlier, Sanogo is going to be able to or have to, kick it out to an open man (which there will be if they all guard Sanogo) and he’ll have to hit a midrange jumper. He has to change his game. There’s not a question about it because he has been so easy to game plan for.

If Sanogo is getting doubled in the low post, then that means there are two defenders between him and Clingan, and he's got his back turned to the net at this point to try to back down his guy and score. So that takes Clingan out of the equation. If Sanogo can't find the open shooter now with 3 good (or at least decent) shooters on the floor, how is he going to do it when there are only 2?

It's obvious that we have to try something different, but I don't think this is it. Clingan's minutes have to go up, that's the first major change. And Hurley is going to have to make some schematic changes. I don't think we're going to be the first team in the last 15-20 years to make double bigs work, the game is too different now.

Reaction Score
I don't think we're going to be the first team in the last 15-20 years to make double bigs work, the game is too different now.
You can't possibly think this is true.

Reaction Score
If Clingan and Sanogo are playing at the same time it should be Donovan at the high post with Adama down low. First option - get the ball to Adama 1v1. If he can't work his footwork magic, then he HAS to kick it out quickly (this something that he supposedly worked on in the off season).

Further ball movement creates the opportunity for Donovan to roll to the basket, which is his best offensive strength.

If Donovan is at the high post it creates chances for Hawk to come off screens and shoot from distance (his best attribute).

With the ball moving around it creates more chances that Alex is open for 3 point shooting (one of his best attributes).

Whether it is Newton or Jackson as the point/point forward/combo guard it let's them also possibly be in open space and take advantage of height or athletic advantages.

And there you have it - we're back to scoring the way we did before conference play. Easy peasy. I wish...

Then there's the other side of things. DEFENSE!!

Reaction Score
We really need an attacking PG that can drive to the hoop to get fouled or set up the 3 points shooters. We really really miss Kemba or Napier kind of PG on this team. Jackson might be able to fill this role. I would prefer Newton but not sure he is capable at this point. We got to fix this PG issue asap.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So I think we’ll be fine. I think we may have overachieved during the first two months and we need to reset our expectations.

Compete for Big East regular season title & win the Big East Tournament. Get to the S16. Let the chips fall where they may. Hurley knows he has to make an adjustment on offense and defense. Kids get in funks, losing streaks happen. We’ll bounce back.

But, with regards to a PG, this team is going nowhere without Tristan Newton. He’s played so poorly that he needs minutes reduced, but we’re not going far without him. Diarra can’t be given starter minutes and Jackson is not the answer either. Hurley needs to sit him down and figure it out.

Reaction Score
3) Newton is just walking the ball up the court and not attacking at all in the halfcourt and Diarra plays out of control. It's unconscionable that Hurley is in year 5 and we don't have a point guard but Jackson sadly looks like our best bet, I don't think surrounding him with our 4 other best players is a bad idea. Sticking with what we're doing certainly doesn't look like it will work.

It feels like we almost get a 10 second backcourt call every possession, even when the defense isn't pressing

Reaction Score
Why not. Joey has shown a willingness to take it to the hoop, and he did seem to find his shot later in the game yesterday. It might hurt us on defense, so maybe play DC a little more to clean up any mistakes.
Have either of you actually watched these Big East games? Since GTown Joey has consistently been the worst player on the floor. When his shot isn’t falling he doesn’t get to the rim, he doesn’t pass well, and he’s not a great ball handler. On defense he gets cooked constantly. I get calling for change but thinking he’s the answer is delusion

Reaction Score
I was hoping DH would play Romouglu (spelling?) earlier. Probably too late now, but didn't he come here touted as someone with Greek national team credentials?
Romougju was one of the better players at open practice.

DHF

Reaction Score
With Jackson at the point I’m hoping he realizes he should drive more instead of being on the perimeter. Karaban and Hawkins can occupy the 3point line with Karaban can also mixing it up inside
I have not seen a 6’6 player at this level with the amount of athleticism that Jackson possesses, not have a jump shot. Seems so basic. The runner is the only shot within 25ft that he uses and is ineffective. If he developed a jump shot, it may open things up for post play and off screen cuts to the basket.

Reaction Score
I have not seen a 6’6 player at this level with the amount of athleticism that Jackson possesses, not have a jump shot. Seems so basic. The runner is the only shot within 25ft that he uses and is ineffective. If he developed a jump shot, it may open things up for post play and off screen cuts to the basket.
Good Points. We discussed AJAX improving his shot at the end of last year. I said that if AJAX returned this year with the same fears, terrible form & shot selection, then Hurley wasn't doing his job. Well he we are - no positive changes in AJAX. Do you think that Hurley is an offensive coach or developer? I mean at all?

And on defense? If he convinces Sanogo to buy in to playing with Clingan, throwing him a pass once or twice above the rim, don't you think he could put together a tough 2-3 zone a la Syracuse that would stop all those easy drives & layups, like with Providence's Hopkins, cold? But that zone requires everyone to buy in, to move as one & also the mobility to cover the paint & corners.

DH may have brought in some great depth. But it remains to be seen whether he can develop them & also effectively coach them in game. 15-4 is nice. Losing 4 of 5 is going in the wrong direction.

For me, AJAX's inability to shoot at all - again - or Sanogo's lack of diveraw post moves or short jumper is very telling about how much Hurley really cares about coaching offense. He's D all the way.

He may not be the guy to take UConn back to the mountaintop from what I've seen in these five years. If he can't work with this ALL-TIME DEPTH, then he is NOT the man for UConn, IMO. He does seem to be able to maximize the transfer portal pretty well. Time will tell. I wish them all well.

Father Demo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom