Need to shake things up | The Boneyard

Need to shake things up

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Jackson, Hawkins, Karaban,Sanogo, Clingan

For offense, starting lineup, and any lineup with Sanogo at the 5, is the easiest to scout for multiple reasons.

Our starting lineup, and any lineup with Sanogo at the 5, is the worst on the defensive end.

Sanogo is not great at defending the lane, and since our guards can’t keep their guy in front of them, we need Clingan to patrol the paint and clean everyone’s mess up. Similarly like Thabeet did in ‘09, granted that was a defensive style. Sanogo is already guarding 4’s/5’s out at the 3 point line anyway. Clingan can cover the void left by sanogo out on the three point line.

It also allows us to run different offense sets and still have three point threats

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Jackson can consistently score 10+ ppg, then I’m all in on this lineup
What guard is scoring more than 4? He is the best at facilitating the offense, pushing the pace, better at entry passes and shoots a better 3point % than the guards. Not great at 3% but better than them.

Reaction Score
What guard is scoring more than 4? He is the best at facilitating the offense, pushing the pace, better at entry passes and shoots a better 3point % than the guards. Not great at 3% but better than them.
100% agree, but we’re already relying too much on Karaban and Hawkins for scoring. I don’t want Jackson thinking he has to do “more.” That’s when he always becomes erratic.

Edit: but of course, there’s no other guard we can rely on for scoring right now, so wth, might as well try it out. It’s clearly our most talented 5 person rotation.

Reaction Score
100% agree, but we’re already relying too much on Karaban and Hawkins for scoring. I don’t want Jackson thinking he has to do “more.” That’s when he always becomes erratic.

Edit: but of course, there’s no other guard we can rely on for scoring right now, so wth, might as well try it out. It’s clearly our most talented 5 person rotation.
It's mid January and it's clear we do not have a steady effective floor leader at point guard. Newton, Diarra, Allyene, Jackson, and Calcaterra, have all had minutes there and none of them have the needed point guard skills. They each bring something to the table but not as 30+ minutes a game point guards. Unless one of them steps up there game quickly this team will be exposed and other teams will continue to take advantage of it. And as others have said, there's no shortage of other things to improve upon with this team. Long time fan, and lurker here, and I will remain hopeful that they can turn things around.

Reaction Score

For offense, starting lineup, and any lineup with Sanogo at the 5, is the easiest to scout for multiple reasons

It also allows us to run different offense sets and still have three point threats
Those are the 5 best players so agree that should be starting lineup. Not bashing the 4 Portal Guards to say they have not adjusted well to Big East play so we're in a bad spot right now. Hopefully Johnson will give us some new looks when he returns as well.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's mid January and it's clear we do not have a steady effective floor leader at point guard. Newton, Diarra, Allyene, Jackson, and Calcaterra, have all had minutes there and none of them have the needed point guard skills. They each bring something to the table but not as 30+ minutes a game point guards. Unless one of them steps up their hank yougame quickly this team will be exposed and other teams will continue to take advantage of it. And as others have said, there's no shortage of other things to improve upon with this team. Long time fan, and lurker here, and I will remain hopeful that they can turn things around.

Thank you

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree lineup needs shaking up.

I'd go with Diarra at the point, Hawkins and Newton on the wings and Karaban and Clingan up front.

Jackson has been regressing and is getting two fouls and putting himself on the bench already.

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I'd go with Diarra at the point, Hawkins and Newton on the wings and Karaban and Clingan up front.

Jackson has been regressing and is getting two fouls and putting himself on the bench already.
I was for having Diarra start, but I think Jackson at PG is the best play. We can’t hope anymore Diarra, Newton, or Alleyne, will figure it out. Season is halfway over. Jackson has to play point. You play your best players and then adjust according to each game

Reaction Score
Jackson is only going to help the team if he can not constantly be over aggressive on defense and be on the floor with less than 2 fouls after the first 5 mins of each half.

He is a JR he is what he is a excellent athlete who tries to do way way to much.

Reaction Score

Diarra was not good at all today. He can’t shoot or make free throws. I don’t know what Hurley can do

Reaction Score

For offense, starting lineup, and any lineup with Sanogo at the 5, is the easiest to scout for multiple reasons.

Our starting lineup, and any lineup with Sanogo at the 5, is the worst on the defensive end.

Sanogo is not great at defending the lane, and since our guards can’t keep their guy in front of them, we need Clingan to patrol the paint and clean everyone’s mess up. Similarly like Thabeet did in ‘09, granted that was a defensive style. Sanogo is already guarding 4’s/5’s out at the 3 point line anyway. Clingan can cover the void left by sanogo out on the three point line.

Worth a shot. It's an old school Big East line up.

Karaban is slowly improving on defense too. He's going to have a tough time against quicker, dynamic 3's but better than getting out muscled at the 4. Jackson at PG is just fine as long as he doesn't get into foul trouble.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Worth a shot. It's like a old school Big East line up.

Karaban is slowly improving on defense too. He's going to have a tough time against quicker, dynamic 3's but better than getting out muscled at the 4. Jackson basically is a PG anyways so let him run the offense.
And we have Sanogo and more importantly Clignan guarding the basket

Reaction Score
Allayne hasn’t been very good lately. He was better to start the season. With his experience maybe try starting him to see if you can get him going!

Reaction Score
I thought the consensus on here was that Joey could only hit threes and couldn’t play a lick of defense? Now some are saying he should start? The sounds of desperation….. I have been all in on Joey’s complete game, but starting minutes is a bit of a stretch. We will be okay with what we have as long as Hurley adjusts to our strengths.

Reaction Score

Said this after last game and everyone pooped on me.

Reaction Score
I think it’s time to play Clingan and Sanogo together. Even if it clogs up the lane a little bit either of them will draw 2 defenders most nights. Shorter range passes work better for Sanogo. If we aren’t gonna hit 3’s we should punish teams with something a strength of this team regardless of performance. Size. Down to gamble on Sanogo shooting more 3’s if we need to. We need to simply overwhelm teams inside if all else fails which it feels like it has, also allows you to play best 5 on the team right now. Run triple switch D as well

Reaction Score
I wasn’t able to watch the game, but from what I have read we turned the ball over a lot. How would that improve with both Sanogo and Clingan on the floor at the same time? Plus, who do we have to come in for them or are they expected to play 35+ minutes?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom