Nebrich has to start next week. Let the Nebrich era begin. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nebrich has to start next week. Let the Nebrich era begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My two cents. Even if we don't think the performance (passing and hitting correct receivers) of the freshmen is going to be much better than JM, we should expect that they can give us a dimension that JM can't -- escapability, ability to gain yards with their feet and hopefully with reps, passing accuracy. We all thought that we were getting passing accuracy at least with JM. If we're not, there's no point to having him back there. Let's face it, even with the terrible production on offense, we almost and should have won that game! The issues of finding the open guys, avoiding the rush, poor arm strength, etc. are not going to go away most likely and it would be a positive step to give others a chance to show what they have against good competition before a final decision is made. As someone else said, it's not like being named the back-up means you'll never play this year. It's more like finding someone who can produce something on offense rather than just spinning our wheels. Maybe film work will improve JM's reads, Shoemate coming back will help the running game, being home will help us win against a quality opponent and playing one QB will lead to more consistency -- BUT if we don't find out how the other QB options work against a quality opponent we may not develop our best option for having a serviceable offense this year. I don't think that an early road game is the best place to try out your alternatives, but I do think that playing at home where the fans can support your efforts is. I believe PP will give all these guys a shot on Friday. Fans better be ready to give this team all the support it needs.

Reaction Score
Gump doesn't lose that game. Gump got us to a BCS bowl. Gump got us 2 conference championships.

Gump also played 3 QBs last year.

Gump did worse. Gump was responsible for his own catastrophes. Road game loss to USF in 2006, the infamous Navy game. Losing to Rutgirls last season, losing to Temple.

You have selective memory.

Reaction Score
Nebrich shouldn't play over McEntee because he is younger, and I didn't say that. (I did say you would put words in my mouth, so thank you for proving me right.).

Nebrich should get more snaps because he has a higher ceiling, and will have more time in the program to develop. He was highly recruited, where as McEntee is a walk-on, so there are plenty of people who know more about football than you or I that saw more potential in Nebrich than McEntee. Nebrich hasn't played poorly, and McEntee certainly shouldn't have the job won based on his production, so IMO Nebrich should continue getting snaps. I didn't say he should be the guy and McEntee should be benched.

Unlike wiscy's repeated attempt to make arguments on behalf of others, I don't expect the production to go up just because a switch may be made. I do expect the team to benefit in the long term by going with the younger guy if they are close enough in practice to warrant burning his redshirt for 2+ quarters of football.

Name one example of making arguments on behalf of others. If you love Edsall Gump so much then why didn't you follow him when he fired UConn last winter?

Reaction Score
Usually vert and speed go hand and hand, but Sticks wasn't that fast for a starting 3 in the Big East. Do you remember Sticks blowing by a lot of defenders on fast breaks or going to the basket? Me neither. To give Sticks credit, he actually developed into a decent mid range shooter and adequate post up player. His touch around the hoop wasn't bad. Which is how Sticks ended up as a decent player that was fun to watch when he wasn't doing his vanishing act. Nothing more. Certainly not a "great" athlete by Big East standards.

I think of him as a taller, slower version of Donny Marshall without Donny's drive to excel or work ethic.

Twice the athlete Donny was without his head or drive I agree. But he certainly was one the great UConn and Big East "athletes" but not one of the great bball players. Stating him as a great athlete does not say he has great handle or bball intelligence it states exactly that - he coul jump out of the gym and was a freak athlete. He also had a rough Sr year but shuld best be remembered for one of the main reasons the Huskies went ot the FF in 09......his run was very very good late year!!!

Reaction Score
Name one example of making arguments on behalf of others. If you love Edsall Gump so much then why didn't you follow him when he fired UConn last winter?

I don't love Edsall Gump, I love UConn. I respect the job he did here, and don't understand why someone would essentially call him a highly functioning mentally dumb man considering what he accomplished. He wasn't perfect, but your insistence of resorting to name-calling means you understand you can't be intellectually honest and instead have to use insults. Baseless insults. If you want to insult him, call him a coward for the way he ran out on his team without telling them face to face. I'll pile on if that's your beef. "Gump" on the other hand speaks more about your than it does him.

But to answer your question, you like to accuse people of making excuses for him that they simply haven't made.

Reaction Score
Gump did worse. Gump was responsible for his own catastrophes. Road game loss to USF in 2006, the infamous Navy game. Losing to Rutgirls last season, losing to Temple.

You have selective memory.
Sure Edsall had awful games. Everyone does. He isn't perfect. Where did I say we should fire Pasqualoni after one game? Kind of hard to do worse than someone who was here 10 years after 2 games. Let's see if Pasqualoni can do better, he should, he has a lot more to work with thanks to Gump.

You have selective memory, your complaint was that Edsall wouldn't have played 3 QBs, when in fact, he did.

Reaction Score
Sure Edsall had awful games. Everyone does. He isn't perfect. Where did I say we should fire Pasqualoni after one game? Kind of hard to do worse than someone who was here 10 years after 2 games. Let's see if Pasqualoni can do better, he should, he has a lot more to work with thanks to Gump.

You have selective memory, your complaint was that Edsall wouldn't have played 3 QBs, when in fact, he did.

Uhh I never said that you said that.

I never said that Edsall wouldn't have played 3 QBs. Now you're making stuff up.

The whole point of the thread was to say that I don't think either of the other two would make much of a difference. The choice is all about whether you want a more experienced QB (McEntee) getting the playing time or if you want one the other younger guys playing in order to bank experience. That's an operational decision that the Coaches have to make.

Reaction Score
I don't love Edsall Gump, I love UConn. I respect the job he did here, and don't understand why someone would essentially call him a highly functioning mentally dumb man considering what he accomplished. He wasn't perfect, but your insistence of resorting to name-calling means you understand you can't be intellectually honest and instead have to use insults. Baseless insults. If you want to insult him, call him a coward for the way he ran out on his team without telling them face to face. I'll pile on if that's your beef. "Gump" on the other hand speaks more about your than it does him.

But to answer your question, you like to accuse people of making excuses for him that they simply haven't made.

cry_me_a_river.jpg

Reaction Score
Not once did the previous poster, or any poster, say that. You have a very annoying tendency to apply words to other posters that they simply did not ever say. It makes having a conversation with you nearly impossible.

If the bar Nebrich has to reach is 10-27 for 99 yards and 3 INTs, well, lets just say that if he ISN'T capable of equalling that, then perhaps we should just insert McCummings, turn the clocks back to 1955, and run some Wishbone Option boys, cuz its gonna be a long slog of a year.
works for Navy...

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
_______ Will start come Friday night....____________ Will finish the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom