Nebrich has to start next week. Let the Nebrich era begin. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nebrich has to start next week. Let the Nebrich era begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I missed out on this discussion on the basketball board, but I totally agree that Sticks was not a great player in the Big East. I think he had wonderful athletic ability in terms of running and jumping, probably great measurables, you know, but in terms of bb IQ, or coachability, whatever it was, he just disappeared out there on the floor. I think it was all in his head, but I'd take any one of the current players over sticks. Even Giffey.

Usually vert and speed go hand and hand, but Sticks wasn't that fast for a starting 3 in the Big East. Do you remember Sticks blowing by a lot of defenders on fast breaks or going to the basket? Me neither. To give Sticks credit, he actually developed into a decent mid range shooter and adequate post up player. His touch around the hoop wasn't bad. Which is how Sticks ended up as a decent player that was fun to watch when he wasn't doing his vanishing act. Nothing more. Certainly not a "great" athlete by Big East standards.

I think of him as a taller, slower version of Donny Marshall without Donny's drive to excel or work ethic.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
When our QB play sucks we always want to see what the other guys can bring to the table. DJ, Dennis Brown, the kid from Ohio, Zach before TL, Cody, Box....... etc etc. However, the only thing JMac has over those other guys is that he can accurately hit a stationary target when not under duress. And that is not a factor against FBS opponents. I think JMac can improve. I also think that 10/27 for 99 yards, 3 int's and numerous other ill-advised throws is enough to warrant a benching in favor of Nebrich. I hope that we hear that Nebrich is practicing with the 1's this week - if not, it's going to be a long Friday night.

Reaction Score
I made the argument that he was not a great athlete by Big East standards. And he isn't, because the Big East is the best basketball conference in the country and had athletes that frequently made Sticks look foolish. He was a great leaper with long arms that could do nasty dunks. That is not a great athlete. People with triple digit IQ's understand the difference between a great dunker and a great athlete compared to other top athletes playing at the highest level.

As I say every time this comes up, how is Sticks doing at the next level? He was the best athlete in UConn history or the Big East or whatever you mouth breathers thought. So where are his NBA All Star game appearances?

Why am I arguing with you? One of us understands complex, multidimensional, abstract concepts, and one of us can only remember nasty dunks.

Well, not to be too late to this, since I just got in from Nashville, but Sticks "was a great athlete" in my triple digit IQ opinion. Michael Jordan was a great athlete, also a mighty fine basketball player, not so much baseball. To say Michael was not a great athlete "baseball wise" 'cause he didn't make the majors would not be correct. Judgment as to "athletic" is more "generic" (speed, agility, explosion) than is he "good at xxxxx". If Jerome Junior (picked him 'cause of how he plays and he sure seemed to have a basketball players body, even in football pads) played for Uconn boys basketball, would be hard pressed to say "that isn't a Big East Standard ATHLETE", probably would not say he was good BE basketball player, even by Uconn girls standards! :D
Are you saying that if for some reason got the Uconn track guy who is very good at decathlon to play for Uconn boys, and he wasn't too good, he would not be a great athlete by Big East standards?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
McEntee is a four year player and even though it is a new offense he shouldn't be locking on receivers as he did though out the game. The other thing I noticed was his inability to feel pressure from the back side. That is not learned but something you just have. I like McEntee, but I do wonder if he gives UConn the best chance to win in the short run and in the long run.

Reaction Score
Nebrich has not thrown an interception this season, he has not fumbled, he has not been sacked. He has shown the ability to avoid sacks and he clearly gets rid of the ball at a faster pace than McEntee. Nebrich, like Lorenzen, can run for a first down. Right now I would be thrilled with a Lorenzen like QB performance against Iowa State.

People who are claiming that our QB switches have always failed are forgetting that two years ago when we switched from Frazer to Endres we saw a HUGE improvement in QB play.

On a side note Lorenzen is one of the most underated players in UCONN football history, he was a productive QB when his wheels were working. If Nebrich could be Lorenzen for the rest of the season we will win at least 8 games with this defense.

Reaction Score
On another side note would everyone who has posted a basketball post on this thread kindly delete it. Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
I see no reason to start McEntee. He has very few physical tools, no athleticism, weak arm, he has no more experience in this offense than any of the other guys. What does he bring to the table? Mentally, he looked like a freshman. Forcing throws into coverage, poor pocket awareness, throwing off his back foot. Even if Nebrich has the same issues, which he probably will, at least he can make some plays with his legs, and at least we would be getting a freshman some experience.

I would have bought HCPP reasoning for sticking with him if he hadn't brought Nebrich in for that one series, because I do think continuity is important. But if you are going to play Nebrich at all, he deserves more of a chance than 2 throws

Reaction Score
I don't know what Sticks has to do with all this, but it is very reasonable to let Nebrich take over. McEntee is a third year player and there does not appear to be good reason to suffer through his learning to play when he has little time to go and we have already burned Nebrich's redshirt. Several years ago we had to put Orlovsky out there---it wasn't pretty, but he learned by doing and and we were better off. Dennis Brown also started for us in his frosh year and did pretty well in at least one game ---almost beat Rutgers, in a year when we were not very good. To boot, Rutgers played a frosh last year at QB and he did pretty well. I say we go with Nebrich and alternate with McCummings for the wildcat threat and see if we can get better as the year goes on.

Reaction Score
I'm glad that HCPP had the courage to give Mac a chance. That said Nebrich needs the time to ascertain whether we burned a year for no reason at all. Cochran will be coming and it would be nice to see what Nebrich can handle. Frankly, I think he could be a great one, given an investment by HCPP. Also, McCummings needs to be on the field, if not at quarterback then in another position. He is a character guy and a outstanding athlete. Now, let the bullets fly.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I see no reason to start McEntee. He has very few physical tools, no athleticism, weak arm, he has no more experience in this offense than any of the other guys. What does he bring to the table? Mentally, he looked like a freshman. Forcing throws into coverage, poor pocket awareness, throwing off his back foot. Even if Nebrich has the same issues, which he probably will, at least he can make some plays with his legs, and at least we would be getting a freshman some experience.

I would have bought HCPP reasoning for sticking with him if he hadn't brought Nebrich in for that one series, because I do think continuity is important. But if you are going to play Nebrich at all, he deserves more of a chance than 2 throws

So Nebrich doesn't even need to be as good as McEntee to keep the starting job? I love the logic on this board.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So Nebrich doesn't even need to be as good as McEntee to keep the starting job? I love the logic on this board.

How are you drawing that conclusion?

It says they will most likely have the same issues in the passing game, but Nebrich has the advantage of mobility on his side.

That's the logic.

Reaction Score

Not once did the previous poster, or any poster, say that. You have a very annoying tendency to apply words to other posters that they simply did not ever say. It makes having a conversation with you nearly impossible.

If the bar Nebrich has to reach is 10-27 for 99 yards and 3 INTs, well, lets just say that if he ISN'T capable of equalling that, then perhaps we should just insert McCummings, turn the clocks back to 1955, and run some Wishbone Option boys, cuz its gonna be a long slog of a year.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how anyone can defend the decision to stay with McEntee last night. No disrespect to the kid, but he didn't get it done, and he realizes that.

We couldn't run in the second half, we couldn't throw the ball all game, and we have an option QB, and a mobile QB, on the sideline getting virtually zero snaps. I just want to understand why, and "continuity" isn't cutting it. Not when the production was abysmal.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how anyone can defend the decision to stay with McEntee last night. No disrespect to the kid, but he didn't get it done, and he realizes that.

We couldn't run in the second half, we couldn't throw the ball all game, and we have an option QB, and a mobile QB, on the sideline getting virtually zero snaps. I just want to understand why, and "continuity" isn't cutting it. Not when the production was abysmal.

Especially considering that unlike professional football, confidence and composure are SOOOOO much more important in college football, and even 1500 miles away through a television, you could feel that Johnny Mac had ZERO confidence. He was just going out there with blinders on, locking in on guys, and hoping for the best. Its tough, but its true.

This may be an adjustment for HCPP/Deleone to make, coming from the pro game.

Reaction Score
Just posted this on another thread because it's not just about Nebrich in my estimation . . .

Use McCummings & Nebrich in a situation-dictated, option-oriented rotation until they gain more experience and confidence. Don't put the full burden on either one of them until or unless a clear #1 emerges. Let them share the load. Utilize their mobility; feature Thunder & Lightening, the TEs, and DJ's hands. Go deeper when it opens up.​

Reaction Score
Here is where waylon or wiscy will start putting words in my mouth.

I don't expect the production to go up, and it may not make much of a difference. But if you have a true freshman and a redshirt freshman close enough to a redshirt junior that they deserve snaps in real games, then why stop giving them snaps in the second game when your starter is playing so badly?

I'm not saying McEntee should never play again, but the other guys need more reps. I won't be pissed to see McEntee start Friday. I'll be pissed if he has another stinker, and the other guys don't get any snaps.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I don't expect the production to go up, and it may not make much of a difference. But if you have a true freshman and a redshirt freshman close enough to a redshirt junior that they deserve snaps in real games, then why stop giving them snaps in the second game when your starter is playing so badly?

I'm not saying McEntee should never play again, but the other guys need more reps. I won't be pissed to see McEntee start Friday. I'll be pissed if he has another stinker, and the other guys don't get any snaps.

In college football, with few exceptions, you play the best guy available when he is available. Maybe that is Nebrich, but the idea that we would play Nebrich over McEntee just because he is younger is absurd.

I watched the second half again on ESPN3. Some of those drops were just horrendous. McCombs in particular seemed so half assed in his routes. Nebrich isn't going to help that.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I do think Nebrich should get more snaps this season, sooner rather than later, esp. since we've already burned his redshirt. And while the "continuity" justification profferred by PP rings a bit hollow, I can see why they didn't put Nebrich in there the second half vs. nashville. It was still a winnable game (down 8, then 1, then ahead), on the road, and they probably felt it wasn't worth the risk to expose a true freshman to a pressure situation that early. And.... I have no insider info or anything but I'm guessing he didn't get as many snaps in practice the prior week, and as a freshman maybe he just doesn't have as much of the offense mastered as JMac at this point. That can change over the course of a season. Heck, the coaches could just listen to the fans and promote MN to starter tomorrow, but I think it'll take at least another bad JM peformance before you hand over the reins. It's just my opinion, but I think you want to give JMac one half at least vs. Iowa State, and some time in following games to see how he handles adversity. Maybe he can improve? Maybe?

Reaction Score

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. To bad your Gump didn't do that when he had the chance.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a little overthrown. He missed a wide open receiver by 5 yards because he didn't put any air under the ball.

We get the same kind of moronic arguments on the hoops board, where every freshman will be the next Ray Allen/Donyell Marshall/Rip Hamilton/Emeka Okafor. There is a reason why coaches don't just start their entire recruiting class. You want to see what a freshman/sophomore starting lineup looks like, watch a replay of FIU/Louisville. And those recruits were much higher rated than ours.
a little bit nervous like LAMB was on the court, then after reps he gets better!

Reaction Score
Does anyone think that with 120+ Division 1 programs (most? All of whom offer scholarships) there was a plausible reason why JMcEntee was a walk on?
I thought it was established last week. He was a walkon because Edsall doesn't know anything and never gave him a chance. He was clearly the best quarterback on the team the last few years.

Reaction Score
In college football, with few exceptions, you play the best guy available when he is available. Maybe that is Nebrich, but the idea that we would play Nebrich over McEntee just because he is younger is absurd.

I watched the second half again on ESPN3. Some of those drops were just horrendous. McCombs in particular seemed so half assed in his routes. Nebrich isn't going to help that.

Nebrich shouldn't play over McEntee because he is younger, and I didn't say that. (I did say you would put words in my mouth, so thank you for proving me right.).

Nebrich should get more snaps because he has a higher ceiling, and will have more time in the program to develop. He was highly recruited, where as McEntee is a walk-on, so there are plenty of people who know more about football than you or I that saw more potential in Nebrich than McEntee. Nebrich hasn't played poorly, and McEntee certainly shouldn't have the job won based on his production, so IMO Nebrich should continue getting snaps. I didn't say he should be the guy and McEntee should be benched.

Unlike wiscy's repeated attempt to make arguments on behalf of others, I don't expect the production to go up just because a switch may be made. I do expect the team to benefit in the long term by going with the younger guy if they are close enough in practice to warrant burning his redshirt for 2+ quarters of football.

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like a bad idea. To bad your Gump didn't do that when he had the chance.

Gump doesn't lose that game. Gump got us to a BCS bowl. Gump got us 2 conference championships.

Gump also played 3 QBs last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits