ND Postgame thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ND Postgame thread

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
@TheFarmFan, perhaps Sniezek's best offensive scoring game of her career? :D

I agree, it wasn't as exciting given the the lop-sided score and ND's record, it didn't feel like a true rivalry game.

Megan has been utterly spectacular in every facet this year. I loved hearing Christyn's story about why she likes to take it out on Notre Dame.
You joke, but I'm pretty sure 14 points is Sniezek's all-time best offensive output in a college uniform. I know she'd gotten to double digits against the Domers before (I think during our Sweet Sixteen upset in 15-16), so something about player the Domers (as or against them) tempts to actually shoot the basketball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You joke, but I'm pretty sure 14 points is Sniezek's all-time best offensive output in a college uniform. I know she'd gotten to double digits against the Domers before (I think during our Sweet Sixteen upset in 15-16), so something about player the Domers (as or against them) tempts to actually shoot the basketball.
Nothing to sneeze at. ;)

Reaction Score
At about the 2 minute mark #14 - Evelyn Adebayo - made an appearance. I believe her first but certainly rare.

I've been watching for bench rotation as we are so FEW in number and vulnerable to any disruption - injury, flu, foul trouble.

While #44 is a great & welcome relief - especially after last game - #24 Anna continues to lack a shot and the defense doesn't need to guard her. Fine defensively, and no longer "O for America" but not an offensive contributor either.

CW is erratic as well. Sometimes athletic and decisive with a shot, sometimes not.

ONO got an early, silly foul - then composed herself and was super fun to watch.

Megan is unbelievable - all world in my eyes.

Great atmosphere at Gample yesterday - no place to park, no room in the bookstore.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Even for ND, the NCAA selection committee could never justify such a decision. They would become an object of ridicule in the media and deservedly so. The NCAA may love ND, but not at the expense of what would be some terrible press.
Sorry can't agree on that the final four 2 years ago was a ND love fest. Made a joke of honesty in officiating.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry can't agree on that the final four 2 years ago was a ND love fest. Made a joke of honesty in officiating.
What does that have to do with the NCAA Selection Committee, which is made up of AD’s, former coaches and other respected individuals, selecting a 500 team to play in the Big Dance?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wish I thought the NCAA gave a fig. Immune from repercussions.
The NCAA does not choose the teams that make up the Big Dance. The Selection Committee does. They are made up of independent former coaches, current AD’s and other professionals, few of home adhere to a Notre Dame bias.

Reaction Score
I believe any win over ND is a "Great Win." It means we've defeated a great coach. And in grudging respect and admiration for MM, I'd like to point out that though her team graduated four starters, had another starter leave early for the pros, had two transfer, and has two more out due to serious injury, still look at how her team played: ND forced eight steals and made UConn commit 15 turnovers, including 5 by our AA point guard, Crystal Dangerfield, and won the second half. So even though this version of ND has ten kids fewer than it was supposed to have this year, it still played with the tenacity and verve we've come to expect from That Team.

So we defeated Notre Dame, one of the greatest teams in the game. They might just pull themselves together by the end of the season to win some things. The ACC is weak, and anyone can beat anyone in that league and other leagues.

But let's respect who they are, and also that our team beat them. And let's understand that they've had a good recruiting year for 2020 freshmen. So the rivalry will continue.

Our coach is the best around, but their coach is perhaps the best of the rest. Respect for worthy competitors.

Reaction Score
I believe any win over ND is a "Great Win." It means we've defeated a great coach. And in grudging respect and admiration for MM, I'd like to point out that though her team graduated four starters, had another starter leave early for the pros, had two transfer, and has two more out due to serious injury, still look at how her team played: ND forced eight steals and made UConn commit 15 turnovers, including 5 by our AA point guard, Crystal Dangerfield, and won the second half. So even though this version of ND has ten kids fewer than it was supposed to have this year, it still played with the tenacity and verve we've come to expect from That Team.

So we defeated Notre Dame, one of the greatest teams in the game. They might just pull themselves together by the end of the season to win some things. The ACC is weak, and anyone can beat anyone in that league and other leagues.

But let's respect who they are, and also that our team beat them. And let's understand that they've had a good recruiting year for 2020 freshmen. So the rivalry will continue.

Our coach is the best around, but their coach is perhaps the best of the rest. Respect for worthy competitors.
Four of the nine graduated. They couldn't come back even if they wanted to. Sure they should have five kids they currently don't have, but how many kids is Geno missing? Lexi, Mikayla, AEH, Batouly to name a few.

Reaction Score
You know what they say about Karma....

After the "dancing" last year on top of the other things she has pulled over the past few years, I will always enjoy a victory over ND and Miss Muffet regardless of the circumstances.

As for the game itself, the improvements continue while the inconsistencies remain. While it may be true that ND will improve, so will the Huskies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

ND is not one of the greatest teams in the game. Not this season. What they are is one of the greatest programs in the game. They won the second half only because Geno called off the dogs. He does not want to embarrass any team, except maybe Tennessee. Do you think MM would have done the same if the situation was reversed? The game was decided by halftime. ND does not need for anyone to speak up for them. Without a doubt they will be very good again, maybe this season, maybe next season.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

ND will be lucky if they end the season with a .500 record. The ACC is not that weak, they could end up with as many as 12 losses in the ACC regular season. If they lose that many they will have to play 5 games in 5 days just to make it to the Championship game. I believe that they will not win the ACC tournament and will not make the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
I have zero problem with UConn beating the absolute snot out of Notre Dame. Had their places been reversed ND would have taken it to the Huskies just as much.

No-one who follows Geno's teams should have a problem with this. Geno expects his teams to play hard from start to finish. To the best of my knowledge this has always been so. What ND might or might not do were positions reversed is irrelevent, this is the way Geno's teams are expected to play.

Reaction Score
No-one who follows Geno's teams should have a problem with this. Geno expects his teams to play hard from start to finish. To the best of my knowledge this has always been so. What ND might or might not do were positions reversed is irrelevent, this is the way Geno's teams are expected to play.
I would rather see the team win by 20 and get the bench lots of time rather than win by 40. It would have sucked if Meg blew out her knee late in the 3rd quarter up by 31 for example.

Reaction Score
I really don't get it when a Team or their Fan Base take some degree of satisfaction in "winning the 2nd half"... heard the same thing after a game a year or so ago when we put Louisville in such a big hole in the 1st quarter they couldn't see day light for a week. Winning one quarter, a half, or even 3 quarters of a game BUT losing the war...ain't nothing to be proud of... I suppose it's something to make a team "feel better" about a LOSS... if it doesn't show up in the W column on the record, winning part or parts of a game is just a different way of saying we LOST. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I really don't get it when a Team or their Fan Base take some degree of satisfaction in "winning the 2nd half"... heard the same thing after a game a year or so ago when we put Louisville in such a big hole in the 1st quarter they couldn't see day light for a week. Winning one quarter, a half, or even 3 quarters of a game BUT losing the war...ain't nothing to be proud of... I suppose it's something to make a team "feel better" about a LOSS... if it doesn't show up in the W column on the record, winning part or parts of a game is just a different way of saying we LOST. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Especially since this arises mainly due to sloppiness or going to the bench early

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Especially since this arises mainly due to sloppiness or going to the bench early
Or changing the original game plan such as experimenting with a slower offensive scheme, and/or changing the defensive matchups, none of which we are privy to.
I was kinda surprised that Megan played as long as she did and that Aubrey didn't have more PT.*

*I am not complaining, second guessing or Keyboard Coaching, just what I was wondering when watching the game live and the replay.

Reaction Score
I would rather see the team win by 20 and get the bench lots of time rather than win by 40. It would have sucked if Meg blew out her knee late in the 3rd quarter up by 31 for example.

If only there was an "injury predictor"..... yeah, it would suck if a starter got hurt in "garbage time" but kids get hurt in the pre-season, in Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4, in mid-season and at year end. Unless or until there is some quantitative indicator that supports taking starters out with some pre-determined lead/vs minutes played (or whatever), how do you make the call. Particularly this year when the "bench" has played more than I can recall over the past several years. Don't know how they become cohesive substitutes if they only play when the game is won and the starters are on the bench. I don't think you can play scared when it comes to injuries. If you play injured kids, that's one thing, but otherwise, I think you have to trust the coaches and the kids themselves. But heck, what do I know!

Reaction Score
While #44 is a great & welcome relief - especially after last game - #24 Anna continues to lack a shot and the defense doesn't need to guard her. Fine defensively, and no longer "O for America" but not an offensive contributor either.
We all know of Anna’s shooting woes to start the season. However, in the last 3 games (which includes Dayton when she was injured early in the game) she has hit 6 out of 12 including 5 threes. So I hope our opponents read your scouting report and leave her unguarded. I believe Anna will continue to gain confidence and be a significant contributor to the success of this team.

Reaction Score
A stranger in our midst! Thankfully you are posting! Muffet has rarely, IF EVER, been gracious in a loss. I don't know If i would be but professionals are expected to act professionally.
ND and parity. Muffet will load up again, newbies and graduate transfers. She was one foul shot away from back to back national championships. Still, the numbers are on Geno's side.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UConn did play hard in the second half. If you watched you could see him telling the team to run certain plays in the second half. If they had not played hard the team would have heard about it and the BY would have too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom