ND Postgame thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ND Postgame thread

Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw? The HC of ND WCBB?
Did you catch the post game handshake line today?
What did she do? Her and Geno looked like they had a little conversation. Did she say something bad?

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
With 2 minutes left before the half, MM was on the bench, chattering away to nobody in particular (assistant coaches, I suppose). She was clearly disgusted and frustrated, which I can understand. But it went much deeper than that. I think that she felt humiliated, and for a great coach, that is a tough pill to swallow.

Reaction Score
I agree with Old Dude; beating a team in the situation ND finds itself this year gives me less joy than usual.

And I was surprised ND could run offense as well as they did. Marta Sniezek is incredibly having a good year as their point guard. After her play at Stanford, I would never expect her to be the glue that keeps this team together.

Reaction Score
With 2 minutes left before the half, MM was on the bench, chattering away to nobody in particular (assistant coaches, I suppose). She was clearly disgusted and frustrated, which I can understand. But it went much deeper than that. I think that she felt humiliated, and for a great coach, that is a tough pill to swallow.
While I treasure any win against ND, Muffet likely is using this as motivation for the future. I remember the year ND beat UConn multiple times. In the play offs, never saw a more motivated Huskie team. Suspect MM knows her team's strengths/weaknesses better than anyone and is already looking 1-2 years into the future.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the ND game:
  • Any win over the Irish is enjoyable. But something was clearly missing for me this year. That tension that only happens when an opponent has a real chance to beat you just wasn’t there. I hope ND gets better soon, so I can enjoy beating them that much more.
  • Geno appears to be reasonably comfortable with an 8-player rotation this year, which is certainly better than the past few years. It would be great to get to 9, but that might be a bridge too far.
  • Megan was great again today, particularly on the boards. There was a play in the first half that I just have to watch again on replay. Megan came flying in on the wing and skied for a rebound which she appeared to grab near her feet. :eek:
  • Unbeatens TN & MS St both go down today to unranked teams. TN was probably overdue, but MS St was something of a shocker. Anyone that diminishes UConn’s 8-0 start just doesn’t appreciate what is happening in WBB today.
  • Hard to imagine things could get any worst for the Irish, but when SB came out early in the 3rd qtr with a knee problem and never came back on the court, it’s pretty clear that the “luck of the Irish” does not apply to WBB.
Pitch perfect analysis !

Reaction Score
I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing in the handshake. It seemed like a pretty regular meeting between the two of them. I think people are just seeing what they want to.
That's why I keep asking what happened. I think it must just be a joke some people are in on.

Reaction Score
I agree that any win against Notre Dame is a plus. However let‘s not forget that UConn beat ND twice during their last two season meetings but lost to them twice in the final four ehen it counted. while the win was enjoyable it doesn’t take away the sting from those two final four losses, at least for me.
I’m still in pain over the second half of the ‘01 FF.

Reaction Score
I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing in the handshake. It seemed like a pretty regular meeting between the two of them. I think people are just seeing what they want to.
I've seen Muffett be chilly, or give a "drive by" handshake. This was not that.

Reaction Score
Muffet:

“We’re just getting beat up so much - I don’t know how we’re going to recover from this.”

Looking for sympathy? Sorry - came to the wrong place. Whine to somebody who cares.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
While I treasure any win against ND, Muffet likely is using this as motivation for the future. I remember the year ND beat UConn multiple times. In the play offs, never saw a more motivated Huskie team. Suspect MM knows her team's strengths/weaknesses better than anyone and is already looking 1-2 years into the future.
1-2 years in the future.... that's too late. Barring injuries and/or defections, do you understand how strong UConn will be in 1-2 years? She is going to have a lot of teams to get back at after this season with all the losses ND will have. SC, Baylor, and Stanford will be formidable in 1-2 years also.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Even for ND, the NCAA selection committee could never justify such a decision. They would become an object of ridicule in the media and deservedly so. The NCAA may love ND, but not at the expense of what would be some terrible press.
I wish I thought the NCAA gave a fig. Immune from repercussions.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Muffet is one of the great coaches out there. This is a highly unusual season. She has been gracious in a loss. I believe it was in either the final or semi-final game against Breanna Stewart when she went over to Coach Geno after the game and said she thought they were playing San Antanio (we were so good).

It's one down season. Coach Geno has singled her out as his biggest rival among coaches.

So let's give her and Notre Dame the respect they're due as a great coach and program....and enjoy the big win.
Sorry but as a person that was born and raised for my first 20 years in West Lafayette, IN, I can NEVER respect anyone that has anything to do with Norte Dame.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Whether any team is in the BIG Dance in April is a crap shoot. I'd put a dollar and 10 cents on ND being in every thing up to the Elite 8, after that I can't afford to gamble that big money.
I was there today and this ND team does not shoot well from the outside AT ALL and even if Vaughn does come back and play well, she can not make up for an inside gap at which they are so deficient. They lacked ball movement and quickness on defense. This team will be lucky to make the Sweet16 and depending on the draw could face a very tough 2nd round game elimination. Honestly, Peoples was ND’s best player and she did her damage in the second half when UConn was up 30. I was once wary that ND would be ready to rise by the end of the year, I no longer have that worry AT ALL. I see Louisville, NC State, FSU, Miami, Ga Tech, Syracuse as all better and hope Virginia, Duke and NC can also show themselves as better than ND, and given ND has won the ACC every year since joining, all teams will be hunting the weaker ND squad this year.
Now to be fair, when MM walked out after half time Holly was waiting with a mic but no camera man and MM was not agitated at all, I think Holly and 5e producers knew enough about the game they didn’t need to video her to State the obvious. The same thing occurred after the game that Geno did not do an end of game set with Holly, she only grabbed Megan. The crowd and the students certainly gave MM grief as soon as she walked off the bus and was even “shunned” by the whole student section which was a riot to see. Overall, a great day That we should take while we can get it. Sorry @Fairfield Fan yes, MM is a great coach but she’s been so disrespectful to so many teams and opposing players for so long, I am smiling at this. When I hear here actually say, wow the other team is really good, the were great today instead of “we are young, defensive deficient, need to get more offense....” that tries to diminish the other team, then I will actually start using her real name again, until then, MM it is. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I, a once NB BB fan, and a "liker" of ND women now say this: The season is YOUNG. MM's team is YOUNG. There is TALENT on that team. With her coaching staff and MM's experience I don't believe the team in March will look like today's team. MM has made me such a believer in the Nd mYSTIQUE I wince before each game with her ND team. I enjoy UC beating them but I don't like UC playing them (no logic there huh?)
How many teams look the same jn March as in their early days of December? This is NOT a sure sign of a great team (or a great coach)!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom