ND Postgame thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND Postgame thread

Reaction Score
@TheFarmFan, perhaps Sniezek's best offensive scoring game of her career? :D

I agree, it wasn't as exciting given the the lop-sided score and ND's record, it didn't feel like a true rivalry game.

Megan has been utterly spectacular in every facet this year. I loved hearing Christyn's story about why she likes to take it out on Notre Dame.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well, I don't care what MM says or does. ND is clearly less talented than past years. Its going to take some time for ND to rise again. Good recruiting class next year but so do we. Could be three years before ND returns to be ND. And anytime we beat down ND is a good day!

As to us, very good 1st half. Good ball movement, rebounding and defense. Second half, not so good at times. Liv was a monster down low another double/ double. She is improving game by game. Megan quietly destroys teams. ND didn't even try to guard her at times. Meg stood there with the ball, nobody challenged her and she calmly drops a 3. Great to see Crystal back ad looking healthy. Very aggressive on the boards - relentless.

This year, Megan reminds me of Kobi Bryant. She comes down the court, and can get anything she wants anytime she wants, from wherever she wants (just like Kobe did), and no one can stop her. Smooth and effortless. Her shots are falling and she knows it!! ;)

One other thing no one has mentioned so far......ONO only had 1 foul today. She picked it up on the first defensive play of the game. However, she was able to stay on the floor and be a force in the game. She scored a career high 16 points along with 10 rebounds for her 4th double-double of the season. Geno smartly took her out with 57 secs left in the second quarter so she wouldn't pick up a cheap foul going into the break. She realized during the Seton Hall game that she can’t help her team from the bench.

Hopefully she has learned her lesson about fouling and learning how to pick her battles (when to attempt to block a shot, and when to let it go and not commit a cheap, but very valuable foul). :rolleyes:

After 8 games, we’re convinced that this is a different team without ONO on the floor. Be reminded of all the blocks she had, and the second thoughts she caused ND players to have about coming into the lane. ND had no answer for her. She’s becoming money on the offensive block, and UConn is cashing in.

I loved the moves she made in this game after receiving the entry pass. A hard/quick spin to the right, and go up strong. Come tournament time, she’ll be able to do that move without thinking about it. She’s going to be unstoppable. ONO will play a huge role in whatever success UConn has this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A stranger in our midst! Thankfully you are posting! Muffet has rarely, IF EVER, been gracious in a loss. I don't know If i would be but professionals are expected to act professionally.

Muffet is one of the great coaches out there. This is a highly unusual season. She has been gracious in a loss. I believe it was in either the final or semi-final game against Breanna Stewart when she went over to Coach Geno after the game and said she thought they were playing San Antanio (we were so good).

It's one down season. Coach Geno has singled her out as his biggest rival among coaches.

So let's give her and Notre Dame the respect they're due as a great coach and program....and enjoy the big win.

Reaction Score
Muffet is one of the great coaches out there. This is a highly unusual season. She has been gracious in a loss. I believe it was in either the final or semi-final game against Breanna Stewart when she went over to Coach Geno after the game and said she thought they were playing San Antanio (we were so good).

It's one down season. Coach Geno has singled her out as his biggest rival among coaches.

So let's give her and Notre Dame the respect they're due as a great coach and program....and enjoy the big win.
Wet Blanket!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I, a once NB BB fan, and a "liker" of ND women now say this: The season is YOUNG. MM's team is YOUNG. There is TALENT on that team. With her coaching staff and MM's experience I don't believe the team in March will look like today's team. MM has made me such a believer in the Nd mYSTIQUE I wince before each game with her ND team. I enjoy UC beating them but I don't like UC playing them (no logic there huh?)
They may not look like the same team in March but there's a chance that by the end of March they will not be playing. The ACC looks like they may have a few really good teams or at least some that can give them a really bad W-L record for the season.
But I will admit that if they end the season with a .500 record, they will be in the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
They may not look like the same team in March but there's a chance that by the end of March they will not be playing. The ACC looks like they may have a few really good teams or at least some that can give them a really bad W-L record for the season.
But I will admit that if they end the season with a .500 record, they will be in the Big Dance.
Whether any team is in the BIG Dance in April is a crap shoot. I'd put a dollar and 10 cents on ND being in every thing up to the Elite 8, after that I can't afford to gamble that big money.

Reaction Score
Who was it? Lombardi that said: Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser! (or was it Capone?)
I have seen MM as a good winner she giggled all the time making a circuit around Geno (who isn't a great loser either).
I was just about to make the same comment about Geno.

yes, she is one of the great coaches, and the record over the last 18 games is 9-9. perhaps that's part of the reason for the grumbling here about her.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Whether any team is in the BIG Dance in April is a crap shoot. I'd put a dollar and 10 cents on ND being in every thing up to the Elite 8, after that I can't afford to gamble that big money.
You are entitled to your opinion and your gambling.
My main point is that I doubt that they will win either ACC Title and could end the regular season with a sub .500 record, they have already lost 6 games and haven't even really started their conference schedule yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure how it would be possible for a 500 ND to make it to the Big Dance unless they pull off a miracle by winning the ACC tournament to earn the AQ.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the ND game:
  • Any win over the Irish is enjoyable. But something was clearly missing for me this year. That tension that only happens when an opponent has a real chance to beat you just wasn’t there. I hope ND gets better soon, so I can enjoy beating them that much more.
  • Geno appears to be reasonably comfortable with an 8-player rotation this year, which is certainly better than the past few years. It would be great to get to 9, but that might be a bridge too far.
  • Megan was great again today, particularly on the boards. There was a play in the first half that I just have to watch again on replay. Megan came flying in on the wing and skied for a rebound which she appeared to grab near her feet. :eek:
  • Unbeatens TN & MS St both go down today to unranked teams. TN was probably overdue, but MS St was something of a shocker. Anyone that diminishes UConn’s 8-0 start just doesn’t appreciate what is happening in WBB today.
  • Hard to imagine things could get any worst for the Irish, but when SB came out early in the 3rd qtr with a knee problem and never came back on the court, it’s pretty clear that the “luck of the Irish” does not apply to WBB.
I agree that any win against Notre Dame is a plus. However let‘s not forget that UConn beat ND twice during their last two season meetings but lost to them twice in the final four ehen it counted. while the win was enjoyable it doesn’t take away the sting from those two final four losses, at least for me.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Not sure how it would be possible for a 500 ND to make it to the Big Dance unless they pull off a miracle by winning the ACC tournament to earn the AQ.
Only because they are the Golden Domers and I personally believe that they are the one school in the NCAA that is shown favoritism. I truly believe it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree that any win against Notre Dame is a plus. However let‘s not forget that UConn beat ND twice during their last two season meetings but lost to them twice in the final four ehen it counted. while the win was enjoyable it doesn’t take away the sting from those two final four losses, at least for me.
Agreed, but I’m not dwelling on what happened the last two seasons. I am intensely interested in what is happening and will yet happen this season.

Reaction Score
An interesting commentary of posters: if you read all the posting.\

What's interesting is what some dig to find negative. When posts are read with a positive mind the negatives fade away. A positive attitude works wonders.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Only because they are the Golden Domers and I personally believe that they are the one school in the NCAA that is shown favoritism. I truly believe it.
Even for ND, the NCAA selection committee could never justify such a decision. They would become an object of ridicule in the media and deservedly so. The NCAA may love ND, but not at the expense of what would be some terrible press.

Reaction Score
You are entitled to your opinion and your gambling.
My main point is that I doubt that they will win either ACC Title and could end the regular season with a sub .500 record, they have already lost 6 games and haven't even really started their conference schedule yet.
I have no doubt based on ND's Current state of affairs you may be right. My point was, without gambling big money, that MM may be down but she is rarely ever out. Winning the ACC title is nice but not necessary to win it all. I'd be shocked if MM ends less than 50/50! If I were to gamble against anyone it wouldn't be you, not on this.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Even for ND, the NCAA selection committee could never justify such a decision. They would become an object of ridicule in the media and deservedly so. The NCAA may love ND, but not at the expense of what would be some terrible press.
I really hate detracting from the OP but I feel that last season, some people thought the same thing about TN getting selected.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There were periods of excellent play, good play, and not so good play but the ratio of good and excellent to poor play is increasing from game to game. And Geno has a bench all of a sudden! Big kudos to Kyla and Mollyfor making the most of their minutes, not just playing it safe while a starter takes a breather but contributing in a meaningful way.
I think Geno slowed things down in the third and fourth quarters to: 1. run plays and 2. not run up the score.
They scored close to 30 points in the first quarter and only about thirty points in the entire second half. I know Byers wanted Geno to turn them loose and beat ND by 50. That's not Geno. The only negative thing I will comment is that Walker has to cut down on her turnovers. That is her only negative, imo, a first team AA in the making.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I hope Kyla spends a lot of time in practice taking the eighteen foot jumpers from the extended elbow position that Uconn uses running their offense - the fake hand off and turn to face the basket is often wide open and with her good shooting from three she should be taking that shot and making a high percentage. It would open up the defense a lot more. She seems only to be looking to pass.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
In case you were wondering who Geno was speaking about at the end of the conference:
Denise D’Ascenzo, longtime TV anchor at WFSB in Hartford, dead at 61
Denise D’Ascenzo, longtime TV anchor at WFSB in Hartford, dead at 61
Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame.
In 2013, she was elected to the Silver Circle, a honor bestowed by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for significant contributions to broadcasting.
D’Ascenzo was also honored with two prestigious Edward R. Murrow awards, seven Associated Press awards, and a national Gabriel Award.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom