ND Postgame thread | The Boneyard

ND Postgame thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the ND game:
  • Any win over the Irish is enjoyable. But something was clearly missing for me this year. That tension that only happens when an opponent has a real chance to beat you just wasn’t there. I hope ND gets better soon, so I can enjoy beating them that much more.
  • Geno appears to be reasonably comfortable with an 8-player rotation this year, which is certainly better than the past few years. It would be great to get to 9, but that might be a bridge too far.
  • Megan was great again today, particularly on the boards. There was a play in the first half that I just have to watch again on replay. Megan came flying in on the wing and skied for a rebound which she appeared to grab near her feet. :eek:
  • Unbeatens TN & MS St both go down today to unranked teams. TN was probably overdue, but MS St was something of a shocker. Anyone that diminishes UConn’s 8-0 start just doesn’t appreciate what is happening in WBB today.
  • Hard to imagine things could get any worst for the Irish, but when SB came out early in the 3rd qtr with a knee problem and never came back on the court, it’s pretty clear that the “luck of the Irish” does not apply to WBB.

Reaction Score
1575845143960.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There were periods of excellent play, good play, and not so good play but the ratio of good and excellent to poor play is increasing from game to game. And Geno has a bench all of a sudden! Big kudos to Kyla and Mollyfor making the most of their minutes, not just playing it safe while a starter takes a breather but contributing in a meaningful way.

Reaction Score
  • Any win over the Irish is enjoyable. But something was clearly missing for me this year. That tension that only happens when an opponent has a real chance to beat you just wasn’t there. I hope ND gets better soon, so I can enjoy beating them that much more.
  • Geno appears to be reasonably comfortable with an 8-player rotation this year, which is certainly better than the past few years. It would be great to get to 9, but that might be a bridge too far.
  • Megan was great again today, particularly on the boards. There was a play in the first half that I just have to watch again on replay. Megan came flying in on the wing and skied for a rebound which she appeared to grab near her feet. :eek:
  • Unbeatens TN & MS St both go down today to unranked teams. TN was probably overdue, but MS St was something of a shocker. Anyone that diminishes UConn’s 8-0 start just doesn’t appreciate what is happening in WBB today.
  • Hard to imagine things could get any worst for the Irish, but when SB came out early in the 3rd qtr with a knee problem and never came back on the court, it’s pretty clear that the “luck of the Irish” does not apply to WBB.
On your last point, ND played better without her.

Reaction Score
I take no pleasure in the current state of ND wcbb. In fact, I am sad to see how a once great program has fallen on such hard times. I have been called a "hater" of Irish bb, but I am no hater. I was raised in a religious family in which hate was not permitted. Only love was allowed. So let me say to ND that I love you, and I pray for you every day (at least). However, I have no choice but to state unequivocally that your team really stinks.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well, I don't care what MM says or does. ND is clearly less talented than past years. Its going to take some time for ND to rise again. Good recruiting class next year but so do we. Could be three years before ND returns to be ND. And anytime we beat down ND is a good day!

As to us, very good 1st half. Good ball movement, rebounding and defense. Second half, not so good at times. Liv was a monster down low another double/ double. She is improving game by game. Megan quietly destroys teams. ND didn't even try to guard her at times. Meg stood there with the ball, nobody challenged her and she calmly drops a 3. Great to see Crystal back ad looking healthy. Very aggressive on the boards - relentless.

Reaction Score

It's actually Miss St's second lost, as they lost to Stanford on 11/30. But still, shocking indeed!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Muffet gave the line the crisp shrug off ... I expect no less from her.
No half time face to face with Holly. just a gave Holly a couple of couple of quotes where she tried to spin it to poor luck on shots.

Also took a quick tour around the "bench" some poster there is claiming that they won the second half.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I don't really think it is 'whats happening in WBB today' but what has happened for all of WCBB history. It is really hard to go through a regular season/conference tournament unbeaten and even harder to then win the NCAA. No team outside of Uconn has done both more than once. Uconn has done it 6 times and has done the first 3 additional times and lost their last game in the NCAAs (elite 8 once and semis twice.)
Baylor TN and Texas are the other 3 teams to do both, and
Vermont twice, LA Tech, Liberty, Princeton and ND have all done the regular/conference once but lost in the NCAAs.

That is 38 years of the NCAA era and 18 total times a D1 team has entered the NCAAs undefeated with Uconn accounting for half. It is less than 1 year in four that a team other than Uconn pulls it off, and if you drop out the no hopers VT, Liberty and Princeton, it is down to 13% or close to one year in 8.

I agree that this year some perennial powers are weaker than usual but I think our feelings about Uconn being less of a guarantee in the FF colors the expectations for the rest of the country - and the reality is the rest of the country is almost always vulnerable.

Other than Uconn (7) and no hope Princeton (1), Baylor and ND are the only teams to enter the NCAA undefeated since 2000 and it last happened in 2014. Looking at what has happened so far it likely isn't happening this year either.

Reaction Score
By the numbers
1. I enjoyed the game but you are right something, (ND) was missing
2. The 8 rotation is working and a Gift to us and Geno, where did Irwin and Molly come from???
3. 85 percent of the time Megan is a pleasure to watch. That 15 percent she over does and tries too hard.
4. MS was a shocker. They too are not the MS state of 3 plus years ago but ONLY Geno has the long time success that fools us Uconn Fans into believing all top teams stay on top forever. I was sorry to see Tn lose I was in Tn the last 2 days. Either there are few Vols fans or they were gracious and not clubbing my UC hat.
5. Sam Brunnell is a top talent, and a new to big time basketball Freshman. She looked like a deer in headlights for much of the game and the Flop MM taught her needs practice it didn't work for her---OR the ND mystic of never fouling , while fouling, is wearing thin with Ref.
Sam Brunnel is not to be discounted. She will show her stuff before the year is done. My wife as a child was a "little men" believer. MM's "little men" apparently have taken a vacation from the ND WCBB team.
6. As always, an analysis I enjoyed. Well thought out. You are right UC's 8-0 is as impressive as any in the past 10 years. To me Geno is doing more with less.

Reaction Score
I take no pleasure in the current state of ND wcbb. In fact, I am sad to see how a once great program has fallen on such hard times. I have been called a "hater" of Irish bb, but I am no hater. I was raised in a religious family in which hate was not permitted. Only love was allowed. So let me say to ND that I love you, and I pray for you every day (at least). However, I have no choice but to state unequivocally that your team really stinks.
I, a once NB BB fan, and a "liker" of ND women now say this: The season is YOUNG. MM's team is YOUNG. There is TALENT on that team. With her coaching staff and MM's experience I don't believe the team in March will look like today's team. MM has made me such a believer in the Nd mYSTIQUE I wince before each game with her ND team. I enjoy UC beating them but I don't like UC playing them (no logic there huh?)

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
For the first half, I was, if not holding my breath, feeling pretty tense, waiting for ND to come back. Skipped Chat so I could concentrate on the game. Felt more relaxed as UConn pulled away in the second half, even when UConn's intensity would falter, especially in Q4. At some point I must have realized unconsciously that this was not the ND of previous years.

UConn offense was very good -- passing and patience improving, but tapered off as the score difference widened; I thought they might not reach 80. ND defense didn't seem to be very good, but they seemed to be more disruptive later in the game. UConn defense -- I guess it was good (look at the score!), but ND shots were not falling, especially in the first half. Arguably UConn 3 pt defense kept leaving shooters open, but ND couldn't hit. (Was watching Oregon shooters before the UConn game raining 3s on South Dakota)

Really nice to see CD back in the saddle. Her timing was a little off, understandably, especially layups.

Olivia appears to have made only one penalty early in the game so she didn't have to be tentative. It seemed to me she made more blocks than the box score indicated. Still missing a lot of close up shots, but since ND players were relatively short -- their one big had an injury during the game -- her chances increased, and she scored a lot more than the previous game; glad she was aggressive. I was surprised at the box score for her FTs, 4/7. Her improvement in FT percentage last year seemed to have retrogressed this year in some games, but that wasn't too bad -- ESPN sometimes cuts away from FT for some reason and I mostly recall the misses. Still, if the other team is fouling at the end of a close game, she wouldn't be my first choice. ND team FTs were worse.

CW did some tough layups but played more support than standout. Kyla and Molly not quite as good as Seton Hall, but continued to be aggressive; fine layup by Molly. They did feature more in the not so good Q4 was my impression. Mak and Griffin did not make a strong impression, and Evelyn got a few short minutes. Was Mak supposed to take the 3 at the end of the game w/37 sec. left? Different expectations in Poland play?

Not as exciting as Seton Hall, oddly enough. I felt bad for the ND players; I'm sure they were hoping to play better than they did with the rivalry and all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom