NCAAs officially canceled [merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NCAAs officially canceled [merged thread]

Reaction Score
No back-to-back titles for Mulkey. Tough blow, as a 3rd title would have separated her from the pack.
Kim already has 3 titles. There has been some chatter on social media that the NCAA should grant waivers for seniors that might want to come back next season and play.

Reaction Score
Good grief. Instead of cancelling the entire tournament, just have a Final 4 for the top 4 ranked teams Three games total. Test all the players & family (and maybe limited fans). With all this Doom & Gloom, you would think someone would have a creative idea and have some fun & reward the top teams/players. logistics are very doable & SAFE!

Reaction Score
So there are 14 AAC Champions banners hanging in Gampel?
I have never been in there, so I am now wondering...

Differs from conference to conference to conference.

sec champ is the regular season. Tournament champ is tournament champ and gets auto bid.

acc champ and auto bid is determined by tournament alone.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That's unbecoming of the USA Team Coach.
It's not only unbecoming. It's pathetic, frankly.

Geno would never, ever, in a million years, be publicly lobbying the NCAA to hand out an unearned national title. Not even in UConn's most dominant years of undefeated teams with exclusively double-digit wins. Totally unthinkable and anathema to his character.

But I guess that's what some coaches mean by "culture." Celebrating trash-talking players who collect technical fouls, and begging for national titles to be handed out like charity. SMDH

Reaction Score
There is tradition in college basketball: get yourself into the NCAAs, win six games in a row and cut the nets as the national champion. There is no other path. We can, and will, argue which team might have been been the one to do that till the cows come home, but no answer will be forthcoming. A "proclaimed" national champion just isn't a real thing.

Reaction Score
Here's an idea for the 99% of seniors impacted by the loss of a chance to play in the tourney, make an Elite Eight\Final Four or be a National Champ, and who won't be headed to the pros.

Any senior that wants to remain for a fifth\another year and compete for the tourney next year is automatically granted another year of eligibility. Whoever choses to stay doesn't count against the scholarship limit. Why not -- if Dangerfield wants to take a shot at not being the first UConn player to miss a national championship in ages -- let her. Same for Kyla etc

I'm sure there are a lot of kids that likewise, were hoping to make the tourney for the first time in there career too. Be magnanimous.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Good grief. Instead of cancelling the entire tournament, just have a Final 4 for the top 4 ranked teams Three games total. Test all the players & family (and maybe limited fans). With all this Doom & Gloom, you would think someone would have a creative idea and have some fun & reward the top teams/players. logistics are very doable & SAFE!
How are they going to get there, where are they going to stay, eat, and how are they going to go to and from the hotel to the arena. Are you going to have everyone in bubble suits when they aren't playing on the court. The logistics ARE NOT very doable or safe.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“It appears our ‘unfinished business’ will remain just that,” Oregon women’s basketball coach Kelly Graves tweeted after the decision. Oregon was one of the favorites to win this year’s title, what would have been the program’s first. “Disappointed but I completely understand. I love & I hurt for my team.”

Reaction Score
Boston & SC had a shot to win 4 titles in a row matching Breanna/UConn's 4 in a row. No way to match that now. Boston is a generational player.
Oh so you were absolutely sure they were going to win..oh I’m sorry you ARE absolutely sure they are going to win the next three. Well alrighty then

Reaction Score
I seen a quote from a school or conference administration stating they would fight for final year of eligibility. How do y’all feel about that?

Reaction Score
KDKA

@Kaizen posting a KDKA report on the NCAA tournament. KDKA was the first television station in Pittsburgh under the call sign WDTV. Originally the DuMont Network , and sold to Westinghouse in the early 50s. It was the first station I remember watching. My parents always watched the news on KDKA. Think it is now a CBS affiliate. There is also a KDKA radio station in the Pittsburgh area. Old times!
Bama, also KQV. Used to listen to the Lone Ranger on that station. Kdka was for major comedies and game shows (Truth or Consequences, Name That Tune, ect). Not certain but I believe KDKA was the very first radio broadcast. Good times.

Reaction Score
I seen a quote from a school or conference administration stating they would fight for final year of eligibility. How do y’all feel about that?

Seems a bit much. A lot of WCBB conference tournaments were over, so we are talking anywhere from 1 to a maximum of 5/6 games (applicable to the 4 final four schools).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A final year for whom? For only the players on teams that would've been locks for the NCAA tournament? What about bubble teams? What about WNIT-bound teams? What about players on teams that didn't get to complete their conference tournament?

My heart cries for the seniors like Ionescu, Harris, Cox, Charles, Dangerfield, etc. But not seeing how the extra year could work or be justifiable in practice. If a player is injured on the eve of the NCAA tournament, that's also a very sad circumstance beyond their control but they're not granted an extra year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And the school will be on the hook to pay for 5th year students that are only there for the bball season and really not the "Student" part of Student\Athletes. But hey, it's 2020 and anything is possible when it comes to Colleges and Universities.
Oh, and they would have to fight for an increase in available scholarships too...

Reaction Score
Being retired, the only thing this does to me is I will have more Honey-do list items to be completed.
Hey MS, if your Honey-do list runs out I have a 50 x 50 plot that needs some weeding. You can earn yourself some picklers and Brandywines when they start sprouting.

Reaction Score
I’m not even close to being retired and I was just told to cook some rice and peel the garlic. Ok Boss Lady!:D
Oh, you've got an eternity of learning ahead of you Goat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom