NCAA Transfer Rules changing? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Rules changing?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Right, as would I if I received a full ride to study history at UConn.

Should I be allowed to transfer?

Yeah, you should. And you are. What's stopping you? You don't have to sit out anything. You just might not receive a full scholarship at your new school.

Athletes don't have that problem. Another benefit.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This doesn't make sense. Yes, they are students. Yes, they can transfer any time they want...and still attend class like every other student. There's no repercussions scholastically. Zero difference between them and regular students.

The difference is they get a $200k education for free. In fact, they get an extra year ON TOP of what they already had, for free. So in essence, they get a further advantage from regular students. Heck, They can take this extra time to earn a Masters if they so choose.

Playing D1 sports is a privilege, not servitude. They save an ungodly amount of debt.

Now I do believe players should get some money. But it is important to realize that they are getting effectively $5ok a year right now. If you want to pay them fine, I've no problem with that. They should apply to schools like regular kids and pay their own way.

I still think getting a lump some from merchandising sales which is contingent on them graduating from a legitimate scholastic program (hi UNC) is the way to go.

Then you believe they are employees and the student discussion doesn't apply to you.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Honestly UConn just needs to take advantage of something we offer than almost no other school does... Puppetry major

What UCONN needs to do is start bending the rules. Shoe money. Gotta be done. If you are playing on an uneven playing field, adjust accordingly.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you should. And you are. What's stopping you? You don't have to sit out anything.

You just might not receive a full scholarship at your new school. Athletes don't have that problem.

What if another school offers me a scholarship?

(By the way, before anyone attacks this as just a hypothetical, this type of stuff does happen, especially at a post grad level)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Then you believe they are employees and the student discussion doesn't apply to you.

What are you talking about? They're not employees. They aren't receiving cash for their services. They can't choose to spend the money on whatever they want. They can't send money home to their families.

They are receiving an academic benefit. A chance to get an education gratis.

Reaction Score
Look, people. I really don't think this is going to cause the sky to fall.

Yes, it might be staggering at first, but we'll just recalibrate how we follow recruiting and transfers etc.

It's not worth all this hand wringing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What if another school offers me a scholarship?

(By the way, before anyone attacks this as just a hypothetical, this type of stuff does happen, especially at a post grad level)

Then, as a student, you can transfer, and not have to sit out of taking classes. Exactly the same as an athlete. There's no academic limitation for either group. Hence, academics is prioritized in this manner.

Reaction Score
170+ players transferred I doesn't seem like it was a huge deterrent...

170 players is 3.5%~ of college bball players.

The average turnover rate of all industries in the USA is approximately 15%.

So there is a little bit of a deterrent. 15% in college bball would be about 675 players transferring

Reaction Score
Then, as a student, you can transfer, and not have to sit out of taking classes. Exactly the same as an athlete. There's no academic limitation for either group. Hence, academics is prioritized in this manner.

Hey, you do a much better job arguing your point then some others on here...

I just fundamentally want people to play where they're happiest, especially if they're playing a sport for my entertainment.

Agree to disagree.

In the end, I really don't think this rule change will ruin college sports.

polycom

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? They're not employees. They aren't receiving cash for their services. They can't choose to spend the money on whatever they want. They can't send money home to their families.

They are receiving an academic benefit. A chance to get an education gratis.

In your previous post you said you believe they should get some money...what exactly should they get some money for? If it's for their sports services then you believe they are employees as employees are paid for their services.

polycom

Reaction Score
170 players is 3.5%~ of college bball players.

The average turnover rate of all industries in the USA is approximately 15%.

So there is a little bit of a deterrent. 15% in college bball would be about 675 players transferring

Not sure why you continue to make these comparisons to industry as these are students and not employees and shouldn't be compared to people who are paid for their services as their motivations are different.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hey, you do a much better job arguing your point then some others on here...

I just fundamentally want people to play where they're happiest, especially if they're playing a sport for my entertainment.

Agree to disagree.

In the end, I really don't think this rule change will ruin college sports.

I'm not in disagreement with the 'go where they are happiest' point. I also think college athletes in a couple sports should probably get some compensation for the money they generate, if it's done in the right way (ie tied to graduation).

That said, I don't think they are as exploited as much as everyone says. Let's say a D1 soccer player goes and gets a free education somewhere. Is he being exploited? How so? The basketball player is in the exact same situation as the soccer player. Why is it that he is then considered to be exploited?

RE what it will do to the sport. Ultimately none of us really know. But I do think that the potential lack of loyalty will make me enjoy the sport less. It's hard to root for anybody when you can't get attached to players. I would hate to be a fan of one and done teams. Who gives a crap if Marvin Bagley plays one year and leaves? He's just a hired gun.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If you want to pay them then they are responsible for paying tuition, room, board, books, all the free clothing, etc...

They are literally given about $200k (room, board, tuition, food, top line training, clothing, free things from tournaments, tickets, etc) if they stay 4 years and have free marketing and ability to increase their social/ network following and have the resources from playing to be set up nicely with jobs after playing because of boosters, etc.

I do believe they should get a part of merchandise sales

They should also be able to sell their likeness or sell any gear they get from this if they do desire.

I hate Ohio st but trading gear for tattoos is kind of a silly crime.

Reaction Score
I'm not in disagreement with the 'go where they are happiest' point. I also think college athletes in a couple sports should probably get some compensation for the money they generate, if it's done in the right way (ie tied to graduation).

That said, I don't think they are as exploited as much as everyone says. Let's say a D1 soccer player goes and gets a free education somewhere. Is he being exploited? How so? The basketball player is in the exact same situation as the soccer player. Why is it that he is then considered to be exploited?

RE what it will do to the sport. Ultimately none of us really know. But I do think that the potential lack of loyalty will make me enjoy the sport less. It's hard to root for anybody when you can't get attached to players. I would hate to be a fan of one and done teams. Who gives a crap if Marvin Bagley plays one year and leaves? He's just a hired gun.

We can have the exploitation debate in a different thread, this isn't the time or place for it

Reaction Score
Yup and basketball players can too. With zero interruption or delay to their studies. It will interrupt their on court eligibility for a year but this is about academics, right?

Where they play basketball is directly tied to where they attend class, so, yes it is related to academics.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Now an AD with money can buy a coach & his roster. Fun.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Where they play basketball is directly tied to where they attend class, so, yes it is related to academics.

So they can immediately attend class while they dont play hoops a year. Thats a good thing, right?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
In your previous post you said you believe they should get some money...what exactly should they get some money for? If it's for their sports services then you believe they are employees as employees are paid for their services.

Under my strict definition, that's fair.

However, the way I'd structure it, as I said, is as sort of 'academic bonus', based upon graduation. I've got no problem incentivizing education, as so many of these kids don't bother much with that side of things, when that should be the primary purpose.

Reaction Score

If I tear my acl or have any other medical issue as a student who pays for that? Me correct?

Who pays for the athlete... the school

Athletes are different then students and treated differently. They get things other students don't and that includes students on academic scholarship

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They should also be able to sell their likeness or sell any gear they get from this if they do desire.

I hate Ohio st but trading gear for tattoos is kind of a silly crime.

That, I agree with. That's just using your own personal brand for your benefit. Even if you have to pay the school a % for their part in marketing you as an athlete.

I guess I've always been of the mind that, if you want to be perfectly fair, CFB and CBB should just be done away with. If schools want to create some sort of minor league that has nothing really to do with the students, fine. Don't offer them education, housing, school activities, or what have you. The only tie to the school would be the Jersey. Make kids sign contracts. Multi year deals, what have you. Everybody has agents, etc etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom