NCAA Transfer Rules changing? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Rules changing?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I don’t think this is bad. It will help us rebuild our team faster should people leave or coaches change.

Reaction Score
This isnt good at all.

This sport as a whole (I'll always bleed blue though) is almost dead to me anyway. This possibly could be the final nail in the coffin.

If you think the P5 very few elite schools at the top have cornered the market on one and dones and it has hurt the game, just wait until they have the pick of the litter on free transfers. Every season.

And wait until you see the tampering and payola that come out of these scenarios.

The NCAA is taking an existing dumpster fire and pouring more gasoline on it. This will entirely accelerate the end of everyone but the P5.
Exactly. They can sit back and let the little schools fight for recruiting and then swoop in with a promotion to the next level after a year of free coaching, competition, maturing, and auditioning. It will be a farce.

Reaction Score
What's going to be crazy is when you have coaching changes. Entire programs will be gutted. Coach leaves, then most if not all team leaves, either to go with the coach or to go somewhere else.

There's major programs that might not be able to field a team some years. Could be crazy.

Don't know if any of that will happen, just that it's now possible.

Again, UCONN has to get ahead of the curve on back channel recruiting. Recruit other schools kids at all times. It's a different ball game.
That's why a cap should be put on total transfer players allowed at schools. Players should be allowed to transfer freely, but rules need to be in place to keep schools from taking advantage of the process. Schools should only be allowed to have maybe 2-4 transfer players on their team at a time and/or 2-4 transfer players within a 2 year window.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Exactly my point. So there's not reason for anyone to stay.

And a fistful of dollars or promises is much more palatable when there's no penalty.

Has nothing to do with whether a coach leaves or not.

It might suck for us at times, but I think it's the right thing to do for the players.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
That's why a cap should be put on total transfer players allowed at schools. Players should be allowed to transfer freely, but rules need to be in place to keep schools from taking advantage of the process. Schools should only be allowed to have maybe 2-4 transfer players on their team at a time and/or 2-4 transfer players within a 2 year window.

Also if possible there should be stiff penalties for communicating with other teams players when they have not made their intention to transfer public. Probably difficult to enforce though

Reaction Score
I think there are pluses and minuses for UConn.

But, it is the right thing to do.

If I had a scholarship from UConn to study history and I wasn't happy with the program and I applied to another school to study history, I'd be free to transfer without sitting out a year.

If they are students, treat them like students. If schools only view them as athletes then pay them.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Also if possible there should be stiff penalties for communicating with other teams players when they have not made their intention to transfer public. Probably difficult to enforce though

Similar to NBA tamper rules.

Reaction Score
I would think the APR requirements would need to be accounted for if this is true. If a Kid decides to transfer, would he be able to just leave school or would he be required to be in good standing to be eligible to transfer.

Reaction Score
True that would be tough, but I like the idea of a transfer window for players to declare their intent to transfer - maybe a two-week period following the end of each semester? Maybe that would help keep track of schools in violation.

Reaction Score
Horrible rule of true. Going to turn college bball into the wild wild west. Just going to make the rich richer and have great players leaving to teams that are favorites to win the championship.

Think college bball is corrupt now this will make it a whole lot worse

polycom

Reaction Score
Horrible rule of true. Going to turn college bball into the wild wild west. Just going to make the rich richer and have great players leaving to teams that are favorites to win the championship.

Think college bball is corrupt now this will make it a whole lot worse

What is this based on? First off where do you stand on paying players?

Reaction Score
It might suck for us at times, but I think it's the right thing to do for the players.

Teach players to cut and run? What happened to making a decision and living with your decision. I could see the rule being changed that if the coach leaves players are allowed to transfer without penalty but just allowing players to transfer freely with no consequences (sitting out) is recipe for disaster

Reaction Score
What is this based on? First off where do you stand on paying players?

If you want to pay them then they are responsible for paying tuition, room, board, books, all the free clothing, etc...

They are literally given about $200k (room, board, tuition, food, top line training, clothing, free things from tournaments, tickets, etc) if they stay 4 years and have free marketing and ability to increase their social/ network following and have the resources from playing to be set up nicely with jobs after playing because of boosters, etc.

I do believe they should get a part of merchandise sales

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Teach players to cut and run? What happened to making a decision and living with your decision. I could see the rule being changed that if the coach leaves players are allowed to transfer without penalty but just allowing players to transfer freely with no consequences (sitting out) is recipe for disaster

How many college students are expected to make a decision coming out of high school and just live with it? Everyone else can transfer schools, switch majors, or drop classes if the professor sucks. Athletes are held to a different standard because it benefits the schools and coaches, not the players

Reaction Score
You know...

Stuff. "A feeling" etc etc

Nba, MLB, common sense. Players want to win the top players care less about getting their degrees so it will come down to who has best roster this year, where will I get the best exposure and what give me best chance to get that championship

Reaction Score
Why would top players sit on a bench at Duke? I think the exact opposite is going to happen. Seniors aren't just going to transfer to the best available school every year, some kids sure will transfer but no way it'll happen in huge numbers.
There were 165 transfers after last season with having to sit out. If they can play immediately how will it not be huge numbers

polycom

Reaction Score
If you want to pay them then they are responsible for paying tuition, room, board, books, all the free clothing, etc...

They are literally given about $200k (room, board, tuition, food, top line training, clothing, free things from tournaments, tickets, etc) if they stay 4 years and have free marketing and ability to increase their social/ network following and have the resources from playing to be set up nicely with jobs after playing because of boosters, etc.

I do believe they should get a part of merchandise sales

Alright so in your mind they are students then shouldn't they be allowed to leave whenever they want then? Other students can, and in your mind the other difference is that they have scholarships.

polycom

Reaction Score
There were 165 transfers after last season with having to sit out. If they can play immediately how will it not be huge numbers

So the number doubles? Who cares they are students they should be allowed to do what they want that is best for their education.

Reaction Score
Nba, MLB, common sense. Players want to win the top players care less about getting their degrees so it will come down to who has best roster this year, where will I get the best exposure and what give me best chance to get that championship

Just as a rule in life, when you're arguing against "common sense" you're generally on the wrong side of the argument.

Reaction Score
How many college students are expected to make a decision coming out of high school and just live with it? Everyone else can transfer schools, switch majors, or drop classes if the professor sucks. Athletes are held to a different standard because it benefits the schools and coaches, not the players

Yes because the tv contracts and exposure don't benefit them. The connections they make from playing where they play don't benefit them.

Then why don't they go play overseas or in g league? Because those leagues don't have the following and exposure of college. No one forces them to go to college they choose to

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I would think the APR requirements would need to be accounted for if this is true. If a Kid decides to transfer, would he be able to just leave school or would he be required to be in good standing to be eligible to transfer.

Rotoworld is Saying there will be academic strings attached.

Reaction Score
Yes because the tv contracts and exposure don't benefit them. The connections they make from playing where they play don't benefit them.

Then why don't they go play overseas or in g league? Because those leagues don't have the following and exposure of college. No one forces them to go to college they choose to

Just like any other college student that can transfer whenever they want...?

Kids shouldn't be held captive in order to play a sport for your entertainment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom