NCAA Transfer Rules changing? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Rules changing?

Reaction Score
Just as a rule in life, when you're arguing against "common sense" you're generally on the wrong side of the argument.

And all professional teams are on equal footing correct? Or is it common sense large market teams have built in advantages and inherent values over mid and small market teams that those teams can't make up except for in small spans when the stars align and then that window closes. They can't sustain prolonged success to compete with the large market teams

Reaction Score
And all professional teams are on equal footing correct? Or is it common sense large market teams have built in advantages and inherent values over mid and small market teams that those teams can't make up except for in small spans when the stars align and then that window closes. They can't sustain prolonged success to compete with the large market teams

You're getting your arguments mixed up, the argument I'm making (right now) is that players should be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year, not that they should be paid (a different discussion for a different time).

Therefore, markets shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Reaction Score
You're getting your arguments mixed up, the argument I'm making (right now) is that players should be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year, not that they should be paid (a different discussion for a different time).

Therefore, markets shouldn't have anything to do with it.

You claimed arguing on common sense is useless. I used professional sports and markets to refute that. I am not mixed up

Reaction Score
You claimed arguing on common sense is useless. I used professional sports and markets to refute that. I am not mixed up

Well if you think free agency in pro sports is wrong, then nothing I say here will convince you to come around to my side.

So, I bid you a good day, sir.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You really think players transfer for their Education? Who are you kidding?

But I thought these are students athletes? Since they are considered to be students treat them like students. If they are athletes, why do they have to do school? If they don't have to do school when do they become employees? etc etc.

Until they are no longer considered students it should be assumed they are transferring schools to better their lives as students.

Reaction Score
Just like any other college student that can transfer whenever they want...?

Kids shouldn't be held captive in order to play a sport for your entertainment.

If I leave my job I have to sign a non compete because it's specialized. I would have to wait x amount years to work in that same position for a competitor

That's the real world

Reaction Score
Well if you think free agency in pro sports is wrong, then nothing I say here will convince you to come around to my side.

So, I bid you a good day, sir.

You are lost good day. Never said what you claim I'm saying.

Reaction Score
You really think players transfer for their Education? Who are you kidding?

Please feel free to visit the "Pro Sports" board in the "Off Topic" section.

This is about college sports, so, yes education is wrapped up in all this crazy convuluted "non profit" system of ours.

Reaction Score
If I leave my job I have to sign a non compete because it's specialized. I would have to wait x amount years to work in that same position for a competitor

That's the real world

You're a paid employee, these are non paid students.

Oh my gosh.

Reaction Score
Please feel free to visit the "Pro Sports" board in the "Off Topic" section.

This is about college sports, so, yes education is wrapped up in all this crazy convuluted "non profit" system of ours.
Not saying it shouldn't be for education but how many kids have you heard say I'm transferring because I'm not getting the education I expected. It is usually playing time or better conference

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That doesn't change anything that happens now.

Sure it does. Now there are no repercussions, so it's risk free for kids. Sitting out a year was a huge deterrent for most.

I'd imagine the back channeling will increase 10 fold. I wonder what the effect on mid semester transferring would be.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think some of this is mute because the NBA is going to allow high school seniors come straight to the league.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Not saying it shouldn't be for education but how many kids have you heard say I'm transferring because I'm not getting the education I expected. It is usually playing time or better conference

It's almost like the thing they are most interested in is being educated/trained in the career they hope to pursue... Professional sports

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Sure it does. Now there are no repercussions, so it's risk free for kids. Sitting out a year was a huge deterrent for most.

I'd imagine the back channeling will increase 10 fold. I wonder what the effect on mid semester transferring would be.

170+ players transferred I doesn't seem like it was a huge deterrent...

Reaction Score

All students have different reasons for transferring.

If I'm on scholarship at UConn to study history and my friend gets into a different school and I want to go to school with them, should I be allowed to transfer? How about if I don't like the food or the dorms or I want to be closer to home?

They should be allowed to attend whatever school they want for whatever reason they want.

Like all other students.

Reaction Score
Everyone saying this would make the sky fall is hilarious.

We already have mercenary transfers from lower divisions to higher ones without sitting out: Grad transfers. Is this on a different scale? Probably. But how much more?

Humans always overrate the amount or impact of change. Ironically, this is the reason it WON'T be an epidemic. The kids want to live their life and stay with their friends, too. This will prevent the majority of "horizontal" transferring. People that are mad enough about their current situation or hate their teammates/coach already transfer. Plus the high majors will need to have space (and playing time) for lower conference kids. Only those with exceptional skill that were passed over will be "called up", as it were, and many of those players already do transfer up, either sitting out or especially these days as a grad student.

You'll adapt to the new normal, I promise. You'll probably enjoy it. I know I love the grad transfer scouting threads.

Reaction Score
It's almost like the thing they are most interested in is being educated/trained in the career they hope to pursue... Professional sports

Sitting out doesn't prevent them from training and practicing or their "education" as guapo is arguing

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Players should be allowed to transfer freely, but rules need to be in place to keep schools from taking advantage of the process.

giphy.gif

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But I thought these are students athletes? Since they are considered to be students treat them like students. If they are athletes, why do they have to do school? If they don't have to do school when do they become employees? etc etc.

Until they are no longer considered students it should be assumed they are transferring schools to better their lives as students.

They should be allowed to attend whatever school they want for whatever reason they want.

Like all other students.

This doesn't make sense. Yes, they are students. Yes, they can transfer any time they want...and still attend class like every other student. There's no repercussions scholastically. Zero difference between them and regular students.

The difference is they get a $200k education for free. In fact, they get an extra year ON TOP of what they already had, for free. So in essence, they get a further advantage from regular students. Heck, They can take this extra time to earn a Masters if they so choose.

Playing D1 sports is a privilege, not servitude. They save an ungodly amount of debt.

Now I do believe players should get some money. But it is important to realize that they are getting effectively $5ok a year right now. If you want to pay them fine, I've no problem with that. They should apply to schools like regular kids and pay their own way.

I still think getting a lump some from merchandising sales which is contingent on them graduating from a legitimate scholastic program (hi UNC) is the way to go.

Reaction Score
This doesn't make sense. Yes, they are students. Yes, they can transfer any time they want...and still attend class like every other student. There's no repercussions scholastically.

The difference is they get a $200k education for free. In fact, they get an extra year ON TOP of what they already had, for free. So in essence, they get a further advantage from regular students. Heck, They can take this extra time to earn a Masters if they so choose.

Playing D1 sports is a privilege, not servitude. They save an ungodly amount of debt.

Now I do believe players should get some money. But it is important to realize that they are getting effectively $5ok a year right now. If you want to pay them fine, I've no problem with that. They should apply to schools like regular kids and pay their way.

I still think getting a lump some from merchandising sales which is contingent on them graduating from a legitimate (hi UNC) scholastic program is the way to go.

Right, as would I if I received a full ride to study history at UConn.

Should I be allowed to transfer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom