NCAA Transfer Rules changing? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Rules changing?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We can have the exploitation debate in a different thread, this isn't the time or place for it

Good idea. Not that I want to have it as it's really a matter of opinion thing.

I will just say that I'd like to amend my position slightly for posterity. If all that money generated went right back into the schools, the facilities and the students, then I wouldn't consider that exploitation. But the NCAA as an institution is exploitative and should be abolished. And Administrations are well overcompensated.

Reaction Score

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If I tear my acl or have any other medical issue as a student who pays for that? Me correct?

Who pays for the athlete... the school

Athletes are different then students and treated differently. They get things other students don't and that includes students on academic scholarship

The school pays for the care because they are required to by the NCAA they also aren’t required to pay if someone tears their ACL doing not sports related events. If they are injured in a NCAA championship event the NCAA pays for it not even the school.

I don’t know what happens to people on academic scholarship but schools aren’t doing these students a favor they are forced to do so. So the walk ons.. not on scholarships I doubt they have insurance through the school

Reaction Score
For all of you that wouldn't like this new transfer rule; would you at least support athletic scholarships being guaranteed all 4 years instead of needing to be renewed on a yearly basis?

How many of you even knew athletic scholarships aren't guaranteed?

If you want a kid to commit to a school, schouldn't you want the school to commit to the kid?

Reaction Score
The school pays for the care because they are required to by the NCAA they also aren’t required to pay if someone tears their ACL doing not sports related events. If they are injured in a NCAA championship event the NCAA pays for it not even the school.

I don’t know what happens to people on academic scholarship but schools aren’t doing these students a favor they are forced to do so. So the walk ons.. not on scholarships I doubt they have insurance through the school

Please read the articles right above your comment

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For all of you that wouldn't like this new transfer rule; would you at least support athletic scholarships being guaranteed all 4 years instead of needing to be renewed on a yearly basis?

How many of you even knew athletic scholarships aren't guaranteed?

If you want a kid to commit to a school, schouldn't you want the school to commit to the kid?

Of course. I think the one year thing is stupid. Hurts football kids the most.

Though, in that scenario, I'd add that if a kid stops playing, and want to continue school, he shouldn't count against the scholarship limit.

Reaction Score

Pointing out your hypocrisy. You want them treated as students when it fits your agenda i.e. not sitting out when transferring.

Any injury should be covered by the school. Shame on any school that pulls that bs. Not paying for or not renewing a scholarship is not standard operating procedure and doesn't happen all that often and should never happen in the first place

Reaction Score
Pointing out your hypocrisy. You want them treated as students when it fits your agenda i.e. not sitting out when transferring.

Any injury should be covered by the school. Shame on any school that pulls that bs. Not paying for or not renewing a scholarship is not standard operating procedure and doesn't happen all that often and should never happen in the first place

Other people who disagree with this rule are at least making rational counter arguments, though I disagree.

You're just responding with anger.

Why does this *potential* rule change make you so angry?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Read the editorial that came out in many newspapers today by Victoria L. Jackson called A Jim Crow divide in college sports.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That, I agree with. That's just using your own personal brand for your benefit. Even if you have to pay the school a % for their part in marketing you as an athlete.

I guess I've always been of the mind that, if you want to be perfectly fair, CFB and CBB should just be done away with. If schools want to create some sort of minor league that has nothing really to do with the students, fine. Don't offer them education, housing, school activities, or what have you. The only tie to the school would be the Jersey. Make kids sign contracts. Multi year deals, what have you. Everybody has agents, etc etc.

Or the leagues could step up and stop freeloading off of taxpayer money (in a lot of cases).

the Q

Reaction Score
That, I agree with. That's just using your own personal brand for your benefit. Even if you have to pay the school a % for their part in marketing you as an athlete.

I guess I've always been of the mind that, if you want to be perfectly fair, CFB and CBB should just be done away with. If schools want to create some sort of minor league that has nothing really to do with the students, fine. Don't offer them education, housing, school activities, or what have you. The only tie to the school would be the Jersey. Make kids sign contracts. Multi year deals, what have you. Everybody has agents, etc etc.

It also takes away a chance for them to get some real life experience.

Developing a personal brand is an important part of your life.

Let them learn and maybe even earn some money off their brand.

Reaction Score
Is it conceivable that a coach changing schools would bring his 'recruited' star(s) along with him?

Reaction Score
I’m a little baffled at how many people support college players essentially being free agents every year.

I like the suggestion of making transfers sit out the first semester instead of a full season. But the amount of turnover on an annual basis if this rule takes effect will make it impossible to keep track of who plays for what team.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Seth Davis thinks it would be the worst sports rule change in his lifetime.

Reaction Score
But the amount of turnover on an annual basis if this rule takes effect will make it impossible to keep track of who plays for what team.

Why don't you change your job every single year? You're a free agent, presumably (few people work on multi-year contracts).

The large majority of people don't change jobs every year. Someone quoted in this post that 85% of people don't change jobs on average each year.

In the case of college athletes, a majority of them CHOOSE which school to go to despite being courted by many different suitors. Why would enough of them decide they made wrong choices and transfer. There would be less turnover than you think.

Of course, this sport is ABOUT turnover, in a way. You can only play for 4 years, then it's on to the next one. You're already used to this particular change.

the Q

Reaction Score
Seth Davis thinks it would be the worst sports rule change in his lifetime.

It’s probably not even top 5.

Moving the ball forward after a timeout

The absurdly ridiculous semi circle for charges.

The new limits on draftees and international free agents in Baseball

Pick of version of the nfl catch rule

The franchise tag

Reaction Score
I think this will be fun if we can become attractive again. A coach like Donovan or Hurley can rebuild pretty quickly using this rule. They could have us competitive on year one

NOTE: Not that Donovan is a realistic option. He’s just the first coach I thought of

Reaction Score
The answer isn’t to hold kids hostage. Address the root cause...
If the kids aren't held hostage they could walk out for any reason or no reason. In the end it would hurt college sports. There are consequences for decisions and to remove them could create chaos. Coaches could indirectly recruit players from opposing teams and the slimy coaches would have a field day.
I could see allowing players to transfer if the HC coach leaves or other special circumstances.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Everyone saying it's a win for the kids? How about the extra kids now each year that will be getting nudged off a roster? Goes both ways.

Revenue generating sports should get a cut of the apparel and receive a stipend during their time on campus as well. Far better it going to them then some empty suit at the NCAA.

As for UConn, this is obviously is going to hurt us. Why? Because why not at this point.

Reaction Score
Everyone saying it's a win for the kids? How about the extra kids now each year that will be getting nudged off a roster? Goes both ways.

Revenue generating sports should get a cut of the apparel and receive a stipend during their time on campus as well. Far better it going to them then some empty suit at the NCAA.

As for UConn, this is obviously is going to hurt us. Why? Because why not at this point.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Kids are going to lose their scholarships more than ever from being pushed out by transfers.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

What is the math on this? We allow transferring so now there will suddenly be more players in the total pool? I don't follow the logic

Reaction Score
I’m a little baffled at how many people support college players essentially being free agents every year.

I like the suggestion of making transfers sit out the first semester instead of a full season. But the amount of turnover on an annual basis if this rule takes effect will make it impossible to keep track of who plays for what team.
It’s just begging for tampering and lack of accountability by playing a good old fashioned shell game.

Reaction Score
What is the math on this? We allow transferring so now there will suddenly be more players in the total pool? I don't follow the logic

Sure, early classifiers, JUCOs and foreign players. Those can shift all summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom