NCAA tournament update | Page 8 | The Boneyard

NCAA tournament update

Reaction Score
100 percent the right call. I’m all for being inconvenienced for a few weeks to get this thing crushed and move on instead of going full on anarchy.
Just got some stuff at the grocery store. Shocked there was still antibacterial soaps and sprays so I got a few.
My biggest concern is food and utilities.

It’ll be interesting to see how this affects first responders like police, fire and emergency room staff.

Reaction Score
BTW have any of you ever been in an Italian hospital? I have. Looked like a bad horror movie. Like going back to the 60s.

Yes, very frightening. We lived there and my wife was about 5 months pregnant. We were researching and visiting all the hospitals within an hour to find the best one. Really scary. The one in our city had dilapidated gurneys, graffiti on exterior walls, no epidurals available and the list goes on. Just seemed dirty too. Thankfully I got repatriated about a month later.

Reaction Score
You’re speaking as if there is a 100% mortality rate in the elderly community... currently it is in the single digits, probably lower due to people having it and not even knowing. The hysteria is out of control. In the grand scheme of things SARS was much worse.... the Wuhan virus is killing around the same rate as the seasonal flu. Let’s not freak out people

I believe the death rate for elderly is around 15%. So that’s about 6.6 to 1 odds. Not much different from Russian roulette. Would you play?

Reaction Score
Yes, very frightening. We lived there and my wife was about 5 months pregnant. We were researching and visiting all the hospitals within an hour to find the best one. Really scary. The one in our city had dilapidated gurneys, graffiti on exterior walls, no epidurals available and the list goes on. Just seemed dirty too. Thankfully I got repatriated about a month later.

Everytime someone tells me they are in favor of the European version of socialized medicine... I have flashbacks.

Reaction Score
Then they are at least being consistent. Doing one without the other seems silly to me.
Unless they close the streets, and all other places that people could come into contact with each other, what’s the use??? That’s the only way to truly be consistent.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not cool.

agree but this did come from there and has now spread around the world. It sucks and we are not sure how it started but we know it came from the WuHan section of China. Sadly thousands have died and more will die.

Don't cancel the NCAA just have no fans so the seniors can life out their lifelong dreams

Reaction Score
70,000 people die each year in the US from the flu. I don’t see anyone panicking over that.

Are you talking about seasonal flu or yearly? Where are you getting your information? The average for seasonal deaths according to the cdc is much less. Since 2010 not once at 70 or higher. I usually find that people who make s,.t up, are the ones that turn nasty first.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
agree but this did come from there and has now spread around the world. It sucks and we are not sure how it started but we know it came from the WuHan section of China. Sadly thousands have died and more will die.

Don't cancel the NCAA just have no fans so the seniors can life out their lifelong dreams
So long as they don’t give the virus to the Freshmen.

Reaction Score
Unless they close the streets, and all other places that people could come into contact with each other, what’s the use??? That’s the only way to truly be consistent.

At least the schools are being consistent.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
UConn’s odds of winning the AAC tournament has to have gone up. No more home court advantage for local teams lol. Thank you coronavirus ;)

Reaction Score
What will they do if a player tests positive? It's likely that whole team would drop out, but what about all the teams at their site (some of which aren't in the same region because of the pod system).

Reaction Score
Some of the takes in this thread are actually insane.

We have never seen a disease like this, comparing it to the flu is outting yourself as a complete idiot.

SARS and MERS were not as contagious as COVID-19

Italy had 0 cases less than a month ago and now they are deciding who to treat and who to let die. They quarantined their entire country

The disease hadn't even crossed over to humans prior to around Thanksgiving, and the first diagnosis was 12/31/19 Today it is a global pandemic.

This is one of the most contagious disease we have ever seen because you can spread the disease for as much as 2 weeks before you show symptoms.

Cases are growing exponentially.

Humans have no immunity to COVID-19

This is not a disease that only effects the elderly, ages 30 and up even with no pre-existing conditions are at risk.

Everyone take every available precaution.

The problem with idiots like @uconngb is they don't take it seriously and spread it to those of us who do.

Reaction Score
What will they do if a player tests positive? It's likely that whole team would drop out, but what about all the teams at their site (some of which aren't in the same region because of the pod system).

Really uncharted waters here, but it's a good question.

If they can test quickly and accurate enough, they may only need to quarantine the one player if they could test all the other teammates and coaches in time.

It's not really about preventing every single person from getting it, but just from preventing a mass transmission.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I cannot think of a reason to cancel it instead of playing to empty crowds. As long as people are allowed to be out in public, I think it can be considered safe for 40 people to be in a gym (players, coaches, refs, camera crew) to play a game. If they want to take it a step further, test people before playing.
Definitely different. Like watching high level pick up games at the Y.

The impact on related businesses like the thousands of fans who would fly in, use hotels, restaurants and bars, venue employees who run concessions and others not needed to run the actual game and operate the facility.

This might all be overreaction, but there is no vaccine and the disease seems readily transmittable so it’s hard to say what nuts or not. Some BYers are blaming the media for government reactions here and abroad, especially Italy. I think that’s a stupid take. The media here is reporting events and I pay much more attention to the evaluation by medical professionals than what politicians and talking heads are saying. I suspect that government officials are also listening to medical professionals and reacting to facts on the ground. The stock markets aren’t reacting to the media and I’d guess business leaders and other private section interests like the NCAA aren’t that anxious to shut off customers unless convinced it’s prudent to do so.

Obviously some panic is causing people to hoard wet wipes, so I decided to stock up on all-grain alcohol as way to drown the infection. Being in a high risk category, I figure, why not.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Does anyone here know (a) how soon a person would test positive after coming in contact with the virus, or (b) what the prescribed "treatment" consists of for those who have it?

Reaction Score
Does anyone here know (a) how soon a person would test positive after coming in contact with the virus, or (b) what the prescribed "treatment" consists of for those who have it?

Not sure about how long to test positive, but there is currently no approved treatment. Just managing symptoms.

South Korea is using a malaria drug called chloroquine because it opens pathways in cells to allow zinc to enter, potentially slowing a critical viral replication step.

At least that's how it would work in theory... No double blinded trials or anything, just a hail mary for the worst patients right now.

Not sure if anyone else is trying the same drug.

Reaction Score
Hard for me to believe that there is more risk at a basketball game than there is going to school all day.
I suppose it depends on whether there are 15,000 to 20,000 people there or not.

I support playing the games without spectators, just immediate family and officials, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom