NCAA Tournament Day 4 Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament Day 4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No. Stupid play and a terrible, terrible, unforgivably bad call did.

He's responsible for some of that. But I assumed, like most, you were killing him for looking like death on the bench. Which, you know, bronchitis will make you do.

Well when your league fighting for legitimacy, it was a brutal loss. And when I just realize the regional was in Texas, it was a huge lost opportunity for them and the league.

Reaction Score
Well when your league fighting for legitimacy, it was a brutal loss. And when I just realize the regional was in Texas, it was a huge lost opportunity for them and the league.
Of course it is. I'm not convinced it's his fault.

Most of the fault was on the terrible ref.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you are blaming the refs in the Dayton game you should probably just stop commenting on basketball because you are so totally lost you'll never find your way out.

Reaction Score
What a great block by Oklahoma.

Somehow that was the refs' fault, though, right?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you are wishing on the AAC you should probably hit the gas station and buy some powerball tickets. You are wasting your time.

Reaction Score
Dayton and their undeserved home advantage are done. But Kruger looks too much like Hathaway for me to root for him.

Reaction Score
I may be the only person on the planet who thinks this but I think Cal is just as good of a coach as K. I would never hesitate turning a great team over to him.

Reaction Score
You guys railing on Bill Self are hilarious. He's got an 82% winning percentage at Kansas. Sure he's had good players, but he's recruiting them, too.

They've won 11 straight conference regular season championships. Even in the Big 12 that's INSANE. Teams he's coached have made 17 straight NCAA tournaments. Pre-season polls take talent into account (that's pretty much all they take into account). His Kansas teams have finished the same spot or better in the final poll 9 times compared to the pre-season (only twice worse). That's led to 12 straight NCAA tournaments, with the lowest seed being a 4-seed. Teams with talent can miss the tournament (Kentucky 2013), you need good coaching to consistently make it, especially at that high a seed.

Sure he "chokes in March", though. At Kansas his teams have lost in Sweet Sixteens 2 teams, Elite 8 3 times, title game, and 1 Chip win. (so 7 Sweet Sixteen + in 12 years). So more than half his seasons at Kansas have been Sweet Sixteen appearances. (UConn has 5 S16's in that time period).

His choke loses- Last year in Round of 32 (Embiid injury). 2010 Round of 32 (by 1 Farokhmanesh'd in a classic). And two bad Round of 64 losses ('05 by 1 to Bucknell and '06 by 4 to Bradley.) The more times you get to the tournament, the more chances you have of getting upset. They never got blown out, they always had a shot. You're going to lose sometimes, sometimes early on.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dayton and their undeserved home advantage are done. But Kruger looks too much like Hathaway for me to root for him.
I've hated Kruger for 21 years now.

Reaction Score
You guys railing on Bill Self are hilarious. He's got an 82% winning percentage at Kansas. Sure he's had good players, but he's recruiting them, too.

They've won 11 straight conference regular season championships. Even in the Big 12 that's INSANE. Teams he's coached have made 17 straight NCAA tournaments. Pre-season polls take talent into account (that's pretty much all they take into account). His Kansas teams have finished the same spot or better in the final poll 9 times compared to the pre-season (only twice worse). That's led to 12 straight NCAA tournaments, with the lowest seed being a 4-seed. Teams with talent can miss the tournament (Kentucky 2013), you need good coaching to consistently make it, especially at that high a seed.

Sure he "chokes in March", though. At Kansas his teams have lost in Sweet Sixteens 2 teams, Elite 8 3 times, title game, and 1 Chip win. (so 7 Sweet Sixteen + in 12 years). So more than half his seasons at Kansas have been Sweet Sixteen appearances. (UConn has 5 S16's in that time period).

His choke loses- Last year in Round of 32 (Embiid injury). 2010 Round of 32 (by 1 Farokhmanesh'd in a classic). And two bad Round of 64 losses ('05 by 1 to Bucknell and '06 by 4 to Bradley.) The more times you get to the tournament, the more chances you have of getting upset. They never got blown out, they always had a shot. You're going to lose sometimes, sometimes early on.

Well you had to write a paragraph to describe his chokes for the first 2 rounds. For UConn it would simply be:

AJ got hurt.

Reaction Score
I may be the only person on the planet who thinks this but I think Cal is just as good of a coach as K. I would never hesitate turning a great team over to him.

Let me remind you of something that as a UK fan I would not think so much of him. Copied from 2014 F4 game recap:

With just under a minute to go and Kentucky down four, Calipari elected not to foul.

Seriously, why not try? Couldn't be happier he didn't but wtf?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gonzaga looks good. This Iowa team destroyed Davidson (who, to be fair, I didn't think was very good...but they did win the A10 outright...).

It will take an Adam Morrison crying level of breakdown, I think for Gonzaga to lose this. Which will, of course, happen now that I said this.

images

Reaction Score
UConn's losses as a lower seed with Calhoun (I highlighted the ones that look bad by seed):

1990 E8 (1 vs. 2)
1994 S16 (2 vs. 3)
1996 S16 (1 vs. 4)
2005 R32 (2 vs. 10)
2006 E8 (1 vs. 11)
2008 R64 (4 vs. 13)

2009 FF (1 vs. 2)

Most years we lost to a lower seed, it was at least the S16. One time as a 1 seed we lost far earlier than we should have (1996). Another time as a 2 seed we got taken out way too early. And one time our best player tore his ACL mid-game (2008).

Every other year we met, or exceeded, our seed expectations. Notably in 1991 (11 seed in the S16) and 2011 (3 seed champion).

Self's losses as a lower seed:

2003 R32 (4 vs. 5)
2005 R64 (3 vs. 14)
2006 R64 (4 vs. 13)

2007 E8 (1 vs. 2)
2010 R32 (1 vs. 9)
2011 E8 (1 vs. 11)
2013 S16 (1 vs. 4)
2014 R32 (2 vs. 10)
2015 R32 (2 vs. 7)

They were in the tournament more than us, but gawd-damn have they screwed the pooch more than you would expect. And definitely ore than UConn has. It's not like their best player torn his ACL.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you are blaming the refs in the Dayton game you should probably just stop commenting on basketball because you are so totally lost you'll never find your way out.

You take these leaps of logic that the other poster is not making, and you do it just to be a dick.

By the way, there are definitely several posters on this board that know more basketball than I do, but you are not one of them.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I remember we had a discussion on Kansas and I stated how Bill Self gets out coached and is not a good coach... I think this was another game where the point was proven... Lets go to zone when their killing us with threes.. Looks like a good idea... And lets not go inside to Ellis till the 2h... Bomani Jones ripped em on twitter with the exact argument I was making https://twitter.com/bomani_jones

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You take these leaps of logic that the other poster is not making, and you do it just to be a dick.

By the way, there are definitely several posters on this board that know more basketball than I do, but you are not one of them.

LOL. You've got two dozen conspiracy theory posts in the last few days. Anyone with a clue knows I can stop there.

I thought you were going to go watch 5 year old reruns of people dressed up in costumes living in a fantasyland?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
LOL. You've got two dozen conspiracy theory posts in the last few days. Anyone with a clue knows I can stop there.

I thought you were going to go watch 5 year old reruns of people dressed up in costumes living in a fantasyland?

I think there is bias in the officiating, and I will stand by that assertion. The result of that is close games seem to break more often against the non-major than they should statistically. I also simply do not see the same bias in officiating of games between majors. If you have some counter examples to point out, let's hear it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think there is bias in the officiating, and I will stand by that assertion. The result of that is close games seem to break more often against the non-major than they should statistically. I also simply do not see the same bias in officiating of games between majors. If you have some counter examples to point out, let's hear it.

I'm pretty sure the burden of proof is on you. You can make any assertion you like - hopefully you recognize your own bias.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the burden of proof is on you. You can make any assertion you like - hopefully you recognize your own bias.

I have probably 20 posts of examples in the last 4 days. Now you want me to argue with myself?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have probably 20 posts of examples in the last 4 days. Now you want me to argue with myself?

No if you are going to make a legitimate case. That you cried 20 times over 4 days isn't actually evidence.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wichita State means business. RIP to Brey's mom, but I hope Wichita sends them home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom