NCAA Tournament Day 4 Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament Day 4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MSU lost 2 1st round draft picks and are back in the sweet 16, amazing we were down by 9 in the 2nd half against this team last year and pulled it out.

Reaction Score
UVA is was very overrated, once everyone predicted them to make the FF some had them winning it all I knew they would fall early.

Reaction Score
Who said anything about these teams being made up of a lot of NBA players? They're both very well coached college basketball teams wwith solid college talent.
I did. Horrendous shooting, ft's, decision-making, limited athleticism. I don't want to hear about how the defense was so outstanding and it was like a classic Big East rockfight. That game was terrible and it's an insult comparing it to a classic Big East game.

Reaction Score
UVA is was very overrated, once everyone predicted them to make the FF some had them winning it all I knew they would fall early.
As soon as Anderson was hurt, UVA was very vulnerable. He's their only real noticeable player and their system can't compensate for him at less than 100%.

Reaction Score
The one ACC team I root for loses, go figure. Looks like Michigan State just beat them at their own game.

Reaction Score
Izzo's Postseasons:

2014: 4-seed - E8 (Overachieve by 1)
2013: 3-seed - S16 (Expectation)
2012: 1-seed - S16 (Underachieve by 2)
2011: 10-seed - R64 (Expectation)
2010: 5-seed - Final Four (Overachieve by 2)
2009: 2-seed - Runner up (Overachieve by 2)

2008: 5-seed - S16 (Expectation)
2007: 9-seed - R2 (Expectation)
2006: 6-seed - R64 (Underachieve by 1)
2005: 5-seed - FF (Overachieve by 2)
2004: 7-seed - R64 (Underachieve by 1)
2003: 7-seed - E8 (Overachieve by 2)

2002: 10-seed - R64 (Expectation)
2001: 1-seed - Final Four (Expectation)
2000: 1-seed - National Champion (Overachieve by 2)
1999: 1-seed - Final Four (Expectation)
1998: 4-seed - S16 (Expectation)

Very impressive runs from weak seeds, but he needs some titles.

Reaction Score
He gets to Final Fours and E8s.

He doesn't win titles.

The best tournament coaches win titles.
How many titles does he have? I think he's won at least one national championship. His team rarely loses games where they are the favorite, our game last season notwithstanding. And has won a boatload a games where his team has been the dog. He's always been my favorite non-UConn coach.

similar to Yukon, his team is in filled up with McDonald's all-americans. Granted he probably gets more than we do, but nothing like Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Arizona. Similar to JC, who does more with less, compared to Roy Williams and even Coach K, who I believe do less with more. If JC had the type of talent those other programs had, he'd probably have double the amount of national championships.

Reaction Score
SDSU can grind down Duke with their personnel. Should be fun to watch with K's short bench.

Reaction Score
How many titles does he have? I think he's won at least one national championship. His team rarely loses games where they are the favorite, our game last season notwithstanding. And has won a boatload a games where his team has been the dog. He's always been my favorite non-UConn coach.

similar to Yukon, his team is in filled up with McDonald's all-americans. Granted he probably gets more than we do, but nothing like Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Arizona. Similar to JC, who does more with less, compared to Roy Williams and even Coach K, who I believe do less with more. If JC had the type of talent those other programs had, he'd probably have double the amount of national championships.
He's got one. He's a very good coach.

He gets a lot of talent, too. Not Duke or UK levels, or KU or UNC. But he gets a lot. With some of his teams, you'd think he's have another title somewhere.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't trade a title for an Elite 8 or Final 4. But it's just as impressive to be there EVERY year than get hot one year and totally fall off the map the next. A college season lasts Nov-April. I don't think what happens before March should just be forgotten because you didn't win the title. For all the moaning about the 2006 team because they didn't win it, boy would I take a regular season of dominance like that right now with an Elite 8 loss.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

And he just seems a likeable, approachable guy, which is something you can't say for a lot of top coaches... not even JC really. Happy for Izzo. Didn't think MSU would get by UVa, but hey, while Bennett's defense is great, you have to score too. In a tourney where I don't really like any of the teams since Hoiberg went out and my bracket is hopeless, I'll root for Izzo.

Reaction Score
Izzo's Postseasons:

Impressive. Calhoun's three national championships is even more impressive. I often imagine how many more he might have had if we had beaten Duke back in 1990. Our recruiting definitely got better after that year, but might have been even better if he had reach some final force earlier on.

And we miss some trips to the Final Four that we should not have missed such as losses against Florida and Mississippi State, though one of them was in an elite 8 loss with the path to -4 wide open for us. Though took place after we won some national championships, the loss to George Mason was another missed trip to the Final Four, that team was flawed. if Marcus Williams and AJ Price were able to play side by side, I think we would have had another national championship.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like Izzo, and I'm really liking my MSU Final Four pick. I was worried that their free throw issues could haunt them, but that was such a weak bracket at the top that I ended up putting MSU and Louisville through to the Elite Eight based on the strength and tournament experience of their respective coaches.

Reaction Score
And he just seems a likeable, approachable guy, which is something you can't say for a lot of top coaches... not even JC really. Happy for Izzo. Didn't think MSU would get by UVa, but hey, while Bennett's defense is great, you have to score too. In a tourney where I don't really like any of the teams since Hoiberg went out and my bracket is hopeless, I'll root for Izzo.
I've not watched many UV games this year, but if they had a couple of good 3 point shooters, they could have pulled out that game. Without it, it wasn't going to happen.

Reaction Score
Izzo's Postseasons:

Great stat but I don't think he needs titles for validation. Sure multiples is nice but one is enough, we just can't underestimate what we have accomplished. And we beat him to do it!

Being a MSU fan would be second to us based on your graphic, and above dook. He is right now the best coach in college basketball over K in my book.

Reaction Score
I like Izzo, and I'm really liking my MSU Final Four pick. I was worried that their free throw issues could haunt them, but that was such a weak bracket at the top that I ended up putting MSU and Louisville through to the Elite Eight based on the strength and tournament experience of their respective coaches.
In a really close game, I'm wondering if their bad free throw shooting will cost them. As long as they have a solid enough buffer, say up by two possessions, I like their chances. I have a feeling that they're poor free throw shooting is going to bite them in the ass, maybe not in the next round, but in the E-8 or F4. I think I had them in the final 4 or maybe even the championship game in one of my brackets.

Reaction Score
Great stat but I don't think he needs titles for validation. Sure multiples is nice but one is enough, we just can't underestimate what we have accomplished. And we beat him to do it!

Being a MSU fan would be second to us based on your graphic, and above dook. He is right now the best coach in college basketball over K in my book.
I'd love to see someone put together a list of Duke's record over the last 25 years. K has a lot of success, but has underperformed their seeding dramatically a number of times.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see someone put together a list of Duke's record over the last 25 years. K has a lot of success, but has underperformed their seeding dramatically a number of times.
Plus K always has supreme talent to work with.
Izzo just seems to have lunch pail type players. (Sound familiar?)

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Just saw Angelo Chol on the SDSU bench. I vividly remember UConn's recruitment of him. His numbers are far from impressive, but UConn could sure use a body like his in the post.

Reaction Score
Just doesn't seem right to see an Okafor wearing a Duke uniform.

Reaction Score
I hope you don't really believe that, because they were without a doubt the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country this year. They have been stagnant on offense without justin anderson, who was also their best 3 pt shooter (something we really needed today), and had been hampered by other injuries at the end of the year. Put that together with a terrible matchup in MSU (again, thanks ncaa committee...) and it wasn't a stretch to call the upset today.

But to call UVA overrated is just stupid

Reaction Score
I hope you don't really believe that, because they were without a doubt the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country this year. They have been stagnant on offense without justin anderson, who was also their best 3 pt shooter (something we really needed today), and had been hampered by other injuries at the end of the year. Put that together with a terrible matchup in MSU (again, thanks ncaa committee...) and it wasn't a stretch to call the upset today.

But to call UVA overrated is just stupid

The fact that everyone or most said they are making the FF makes them overrated. They are a very good team just became a little overrated by the media. They weren't beating UK anyways.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UVa wasn't overrated. If the tourney was in January they would have made quite a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom