NCAA Tournament Day 4 Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament Day 4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Waylon if you even attempt to claim that UC Irvine got hosed by the officials understand you have zero
credibility.

If you try to claim SMU was a statistical outlier.. it would be because they couldn't make a free throw.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No if you are going to make a legitimate case. That you cried 20 times over 4 days isn't actually evidence.

So you do want me to argue with myself. Got it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you do want me to argue with myself. Got it.

No I'd like you to come up with evidence beyond you crying about biases that you decided existed prior to the games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Waylon if you even attempt to claim that UC Irvine got hosed by the officials understand you have zero
credibility.

If you try to claim SMU was a statistical outlier.. it would be because they couldn't make a free throw.

When it happens over and over and over, it is not a statistical outlier. Are you saying that if the losing team doesn't play a perfect game, there is no officiating bias? That is absurd even by your flexible logic. Officiating should be neutral. If calls all seem to be going one direction, then they are going one direction. Bad officiating is not somehow eliminated just because the team getting hosed missed free throws or a few open jumpers.

A ref can dramatically swing the outcome of the game with only about 5 biased calls, particularly if one of those calls is against the other teams' best player.

All the following teams were the victims of multiple bad calls in the second half:

SMU
Northeastern
UAB
UC Irvine
VCU
Harvard
Wofford

UAB managed to pull it out anyway. i think 4 or 5 of those teams would have won if the officiating was not biased. I haven't seen the same officiating bias in major/major games. Watching WVU/Maryland, the officiating has been excellent in a tough game to call.

Reaction Score
They got upset in a win or go home tourney. Upset does not equal overrated

No argument on the UK comment. Our offense against their defense would have made Butler's '11 offense in the championship game look stellar

Yeah UK would beat us by 50 this year and it absolutely kills me to say that about Coach Cal team, Zona maybe Wisconsin are probably the only teams that can beat them this year. As for UVA I guess I hit a nerve there I see that your a depressed UVA fan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When it happens over and over and over, it is not a statistical outlier. Are you saying that if the losing team doesn't play a perfect game, there is no officiating bias? That is absurd even by your flexible logic. Officiating should be neutral. If calls all seem to be going one direction, then they are going one direction. Bad officiating is not somehow eliminated just because the team getting hosed missed free throws or a few open jumpers.

A ref can dramatically swing the outcome of the game with only about 5 biased calls, particularly if one of those calls is against the other teams' best player.

All the following teams were the victims of multiple bad calls in the second half:

SMU
Northeastern
UAB
UC Irvine
VCU
Harvard
Wofford

UAB managed to pull it out anyway. i think 4 or 5 of those teams would have won if the officiating was not biased. I haven't seen the same officiating bias in major/major games. Watching WVU/Maryland, the officiating has been excellent in a tough game to call.

So your evidence is you said so. Thought so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

SMU
Northeastern
UAB
UC Irvine
VCU
Harvard
Wofford

So how exactly does the NCAA go about fixing the games?

Reaction Score
I think the refs have their fingertips slightly on the scale.

For years, people have been complaining about the calls Duke gets. One of the eye-opening things about the Laettner 30 for 30 is hearing him say he's embarrassed by the way refs obviously favor Duke.

I don't think there's a conspiracy. What I think is going on is that the powerful big bucks conferences simply pay more and have the most exposure. If you're a ref, you want more money. And you want people to recognize you as a good ref. And you don't want to travel willy nilly from Timbuktu to some obscure outpost in the span of 12 hours. So you do what's best for your career. Slightly tip things in favor of the person who will pay you more, who will improve your vagabond lifestyle, and who will assure that you will continue to get games and thereby extend your career.

This is survival for these refs. They know how their bread is buttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom