NCAA announcing UNC penalties on Friday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA announcing UNC penalties on Friday

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Won't click it because there are some grads from rival programs with an anti UConn agenda providing reports and don't want to support them. Give us names and partial quotes.

Not worried about their agenda. The FBI is another story.
Yea, don't click. Regret I did. But they quote Susan and bring up Nate Miles in an obtuse guilt by association tack Of course it is a joke that UConn will be punished, but damn, the basis of most jokes is reality.

Herbst was appointed UConn president in December of 2010, and watched the fallout of an NCAA case where Josh Nochimson, a former UConn team manager turned registered sports agent, was sued by one of the program’s best players, then-NBA star Richard Hamilton, for stealing $1 million from him. Nochimson then helped UConn coaches broker the recruitment of prized talent Nate Miles. Nochimson provided Miles with housing, meals, strength and conditioning classes, training and even surgery on his foot.

Miles enrolled but never played for UConn. He was expelled for violating a restraining order in a domestic violence case. In 2011 the NCAA stripped the school of scholarships, placed it on three years probation and suspended then-coach Jim Calhoun for three games. Calhoun retired in 2012, but the idea that “nothing like that” could occur anywhere, let alone a place where it occurred in the past decade, is beyond naïve.

Reaction Score
I think Slick Rick's recent troubles have us focusing on the BB program and Roy Williams, but the UNC scandal is more far-reaching. It not only involves multiple sports, but wouldn't have worked without the complicity of academic institution itself for 10+ years.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yea, don't click. Regret I did. But they quote Susan and bring up Nate Miles in an obtuse guilt by association tack Of course it is a joke that UConn will be punished, but damn, the basis of most jokes is reality.

Herbst was appointed UConn president in December of 2010, and watched the fallout of an NCAA case where Josh Nochimson, a former UConn team manager turned registered sports agent, was sued by one of the program’s best players, then-NBA star Richard Hamilton, for stealing $1 million from him. Nochimson then helped UConn coaches broker the recruitment of prized talent Nate Miles. Nochimson provided Miles with housing, meals, strength and conditioning classes, training and even surgery on his foot.

Miles enrolled but never played for UConn. He was expelled for violating a restraining order in a domestic violence case. In 2011 the NCAA stripped the school of scholarships, placed it on three years probation and suspended then-coach Jim Calhoun for three games. Calhoun retired in 2012, but the idea that “nothing like that” could occur anywhere, let alone a place where it occurred in the past decade, is beyond naïve.
If the reporters were unbiased they'd have criticized the APR penalties especially with the news surrounding UNC.

Regarding Nate I wrote this in the Vitale thread:

JC went to the compliance department to report the Nate Miles situation. Of course the compliance department was Jeff Hathaway. He got rid of the staff. It is obvious to many of us now, as opposed to when that incident occurred, Jeff, like Emmert, had a grudge against JC and threw him under the bus. Any reasonable AD would have understood JC was not in league with Nochimson because he cheated Rip just prior to this incident.

The NCAA got JC on a technicality (an issue since changed) over the numbers of contacts made with Miles. They dismissed the argument the staff made that they kept contacting Nate to stay away from Nochimson. If Emmert wasn't already biased against UConn and JC they might have given JC some slack but Hathaway made the statement he never saw JC recruit a player harder than Miles. Of course Hathaway stayed away from JC because they hated one another so he would have no clue to support his statement.

IMO Vitale's defense was at best minimal. Jay Bilas was more aware of the issues and presented salient points to refute the APR ruling.

Reaction Score
This thing has been dragging on for such a long time those players had to know that a ruling would come down at some point. Normally I'm sympathetic to the players but in this case making it hard for those players to leave will send a message to recruits to avoid universities who are being viewed by the NCAA for infractions.

Given the sneaker situation I'm hoping they are tough on UNC players.
Agreed that this IS different. Anyone enrolling there already knew there were sanctions coming...so it was a huge risk. This is very different than most situations where infractions are uncovered and generally affect only one sport, while the circumstances had not been widely known. UNC's violations are so broad, they affected many sports programs, so any student-athlete enrolling there was taking a risk. It would be somewhat similar to a basketball recruit enrolling at Louisville today. :confused:

Reaction Score
Yawwnnn yeah I'm sure the NCAA will penalize UNC :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect much. Any significant penalties, and this will end up in Court. The NCAA would probably lose in Court because it is seriously bending its rule book to assert jurisdiction. UNC is going to skate.

Reaction Score
Did UNC just dictate to the NCAA when an infractions report would be released? Which is the dog and which is the tail?
THAT is amazing...but then again...with the NCAA's past decisions, I guess it's not! Remember when they tried to let them off the hook with this the first time!? Most interesting statement in there is that the Vice Chancellor said they anticipated (i.e.-demanded) 24 hour notice. But if I'm looking correctly at the clock right now, that 24 hr buffer would still exist with an afternoon announcement tomorrow...lol So could the situation be that UNC wants an opportunity to review (and possibly counter?) the NCAA's sanctions? That would account for why the release still won't be coming on Monday, but rather as he said, it will come at a later date. Wow...just wow! If the NCAA bends on these sanctions, they're just digging their own grave! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As far as I'm aware UNC is expected to announce the largest capital campaign in school history tomorrow & that's most likely the conflict they have & would rather not have this story dominate the headlines regardless of the outcome

Reaction Score

Andrew Carter‏ @_andrewcarter 8m 8 minutes ago
UNC is announcing a $4.3 billion fundraiser tomorrow. There are events all around campus the entire weekend, many important people in town.

Interesting detail from that article:

The standard length of time for the committee to release its findings is between eight to 12 weeks; UNC appeared before the committee about seven weeks ago.

I have absolutely no idea if that's a good or bad development for UNC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect much. Any significant penalties, and this will end up in Court. The NCAA would probably lose in Court because it is seriously bending its rule book to assert jurisdiction. UNC is going to skate.
What do mean bending it's rule book to assert jurisdiction? Ever hear of the APR?

Anywho...

NCAA: We will announce UNC penalties on Friday.

UNC: Mmm, I don't think you will.

NCAA: Oh okay... sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What do mean bending it's rule book to assert jurisdiction? Ever hear of the APR?

I mean the NCAA by design has no standing to regulate Academics. That is what the NCAA is trying to do. That is why UNC has been fighting so hard. It has a very strong legal case that the NCAA has exceeded its authority.

Reaction Score

Anywho...

NCAA: We will announce UNC penalties on Friday.

UNC: Mmm, I don't think you will.

NCAA: Oh okay... sorry.

This deserves more likes.

Because this is exactly what happened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member