NCAA announcing UNC penalties on Friday | The Boneyard

NCAA announcing UNC penalties on Friday

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
"Due to the ongoing scandals, we will be waiving any penalties against UNC at this time, all our resources are needed on these recent developments. We wish to thank UNC and Roy Williams for their patience in dealing with this and wish the defending champions all the best. We will be having our annual investigation of the University of Connecticut as soon as the dust has settled on the scandal investigations. Thank you. We will entertain no questions at this time"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
i-am-very-disappointed-in-you-unc-and-have-to-sanction-you-severely-now-go-to-your-room-mister-im-se.jpg

Reaction Score
The last wave of news on this was that experts were expecting something harsh, but as always, it's hard to believe it until we see it.

Reaction Score
Forgetting the usual reasons why most believe UNC will be let off lightly, I think there is another reason that the NCAA will talk big, but take little actions in this case. The NCAA will be afraid that if they penalize UNC harshly, they'll be setting a high baseline for the sneaker/payoff cases. How do you NOT give Louisville the death penalty if you hit UNC hard for the academic issues? Also, while some feel the NCAA won't care too much about Louisville, they don't know who else is going to be named in the FBI sting (already they'll have to deal with Miami, AZ, USC, OKSt, etc.). If they set a low bar with UNC, they can claim that they stepped up their punishment on the FBI-based sanctions.

Reaction Score
Forgetting the usual reasons why most believe UNC will be let off lightly, I think there is another reason that the NCAA will talk big, but take little actions in this case. The NCAA will be afraid that if they penalize UNC harshly, they'll be setting a high baseline for the sneaker/payoff cases. How do you NOT give Louisville the death penalty if you hit UNC hard for the academic issues? Also, while some feel the NCAA won't care too much about Louisville, they don't know who else is going to be named in the FBI sting (already they'll have to deal with Miami, AZ, USC, OKSt, etc.). If they set a low bar with UNC, they can claim that they stepped up their punishment on the FBI-based sanctions.

I get your argument here, but right now the NCAA is under some of the heaviest scrutiny they've experienced in years. I would think the last thing they want to do is let a big name school off the hook easy for an extensive, well-documented, and highly embarrassing academic scandal.

I think the hammer is gonna drop on UNC. I am prepared to be thoroughly and bitterly disappointed.

Reaction Score

Louisville will be hit harder than everyone else.

BUT, UNC deserves to get hit as hard, if not harder, than some of the others caught. After all, if you don't hit UNC, you just ended your whole APR BS.

Reaction Score
The NCAA will decide it isn’t fair to punish current players for violations they didn’t commit (the upstater conundrum) so they will take no action on future penalties. However, all UNC teams between 1990 and 2014 with be banned from any future NCAA tournaments and/or bowl games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that they'll get a one year post season ban and some recruiting restrictions for their two decade long academic fraud.

Oh and those sanctions will be to woman's basketball with a warning to football and nothing to men's basketball.

I'm not kidding.

Reaction Score
In light of the recent scandal revelations, and with the NCAA now clearly in the enforcement spotlight, I believe we'll see them levy significant sanctions against UNC. They will need to do this in order to justify their continued existence. If not, they will only be asking congress to step into the oversight quagmire the NCAA has helped create and begin the process of restructuring it.

Reaction Score
I bet they vacate the championship from the McCants era and suspend Williams for a few regular season games for "lack of institutional control".

They deserve to be suspended from post season play for a while, but they wont be.

I think this too, along with maybe taking away maybe 2 scholarships... They cant give them the death penalty if they are saving that for whatever comes out of this whole FBI investigation scandal thing.

Reaction Score
The NCAA will decide it isn’t fair to punish current players for violations they didn’t commit (the upstater conundrum) so they will take no action on future penalties. However, all UNC teams between 1990 and 2014 with be banned from any future NCAA tournaments and/or bowl games.
They have to have 1 year post season ban plus loss of scholarships or the whole thing is a total sham. Really there is no way it can be less than that. I believe that 1 national championship is gone because those players were in those courses.

Reaction Score
I think some of you are giving the NCAA way to much credit. They believe they are above reproach and will find a reason for sweeping this one away. Then they will be criticized and not care.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure the NCAA is too worried about Congress or much else. They are pretty tone deaf on this stuff. Really I would guess they will do something like Louisville got for providing free whores. Ol Roy will get a 5 game suspension and UNC will get put on probation. They will vacate a bunch of wins which is the most meaningless penalty going since you can’t change the scoreboard. They are over. Everyone who is interested knows the results.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Louisville will be hit harder than everyone else.

BUT, UNC deserves to get hit as hard, if not harder, than some of the others caught. After all, if you don't hit UNC, you just ended your whole APR BS.

Yeah I mean from the NCAA perspective what unc did should be just as bad. 20 years of cheating.

2005 and 2009 both have to go. Frankly the wins for the entire documented timeline should be vacated, and serious scholarship reductions plus a multi year post season ban.

And even that feels light.

They have to have 1 year post season ban plus loss of scholarships or the whole thing is a total sham. Really there is no way it can be less than that. I believe that 1 national championship is gone because those players were in those courses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom