NCAA announcing UNC penalties on Friday | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NCAA announcing UNC penalties on Friday

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You have a link or source? Especially since UNC has set the record for applications 12 years straight & welcomed the largest freshman class in school history this fall
No but I do have anecdotal information about how deep they went into their waiting lists this past September.

Reaction Score
You have a link or source? Especially since UNC has set the record for applications 12 years straight & welcomed the largest freshman class in school history this fall
Clearly, massive increased migration into North Carolina's played no role in UNC receiving record #s of applications and welcoming its' largest freshman classes in school history. Ignoring the initial fact regarding NC's dramatically increasing school-aged population, an attempted good point ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No but I do have anecdotal information about how deep they went into their waiting lists this past September.
That's odd since UNC doesn't give approval notices until January

Reaction Score
Clearly, massive increased migration into North Carolina's played no role in UNC receiving record #s of applications and welcoming its' largest freshman classes in school history. Ignoring the initial fact regarding NC's dramatically increasing school-aged population, an attempted good point ...
Sure population growth helps but many don't make the cut & their are 16 other schools in the system for students to choose from. I could have mentioned the record fundraising or how tge university will have atleast half it's capital campaign by the end of this fiscal year with 4 years to go. The bottom line is that UNC has taken a hit but nothing significant

Reaction Score
Sure population growth helps but many don't make the cut & their are 16 other schools in the system for students to choose from. I could have mentioned the record fundraising or how tge university will have atleast half it's capital campaign by the end of this fiscal year with 4 years to go. The bottom line is that UNC has taken a hit but nothing significant
Well, such an argument would require believing UNC's record fundraising was not the least bit influenced by winning last year's national championship. In other words, similar to many to most school's winning men's hoop or football championships.

Additionally, referencing 16 other schools in the NC public university system, other than perhaps NC State, adds little to nothing to your argument. Bottom line: Chapel Hill bears minimal similarities with the other UNC schools. However, a bit too much of UNC's administration and few too many UNC alumni and other fans are either morally vacuous or have worn and just continue to wear ethical horse blinds.

Reaction Score
Well, such an argument would require believing UNC's record fundraising was not the least bit influenced by winning last year's national championship. In other words, similar to many to most school's winning men's hoop or football championships.

Additionally, referencing 16 other schools in the NC public university system, other than perhaps NC State, adds little to nothing to your argument. Bottom line: Chapel Hill bears minimal similarities with the other UNC schools. However, a bit too much of UNC's administration and few too many UNC alumni and other fans are either morally vacuous or have worn and just continue to wear ethical horse blinds.
But being as selective as UNC is has a effect on enrollment across the system. Like I said research grants,fundraising & student interest have not taken a major hit & this info is easy to find. Very few kid's in NC will turn down the chance to experience all that UNC can offer even if the NCAA drops the hammer on them.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's odd since UNC doesn't give approval notices until January
Lol, so you are saying that UNC gives approvals for the 2017 fall semester in January of 2018? Interesting theory.

Reaction Score
Lol, so you are saying that UNC gives approvals for the 2017 fall semester in January of 2018? Interesting theory.
They aren't going into their waiting list in September. The process starts in the spring and is all over but the shouting by June. Regardless, I doubt a departmental scandal that broke when a college freshman was in middle school is just now beginning to take its effect on enrollment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Major university fundraising isn't usually tied to athletics so directly. The top benefactors I think were the art museum and the cancer center, things that are likely funded even if Maye misses that shot and Kentucky went on to win in the E8.

Reaction Score
But being as selective as UNC is has a effect on enrollment across the system. Like I said research grants,fundraising & student interest have not taken a major hit & this info is easy to find. Very few kid's in NC will turn down the chance to experience all that UNC can offer even if the NCAA drops the hammer on them.
Acknowledging research grants typically depend on and support graduate students and professors, typically do not consider the possibility most respectable universities do not offer absolutely no show, no work, no nothing courses a la UNC, and UNC's academic and administrative indiscretions only resulted in a rather unusual probation by its' acceditation board (albeit for only a single year), you might have had a valid point. Unfortunately, moral blinders are required to make such a feeble argument.

Regardless, you can carry on with irrelevant references to other UNC campuses and repeating previously discounted arguments regarding fundraising (see national championship), population growth playing a significant role in applications and admissions to the Chapel Hill campus still living in denial. Long river; Ramesses, eh?

UNC grad student, professor, administrator, or Roy Williams himself?

"On Thursday morning, it seemed (UNC's) capital campaign might be upstaged by the NCAA. The NCAA Committee on Infractions would be releasing its final report on a long-running UNC case at noon Friday, tweeted Andrew Carter, a reporter for The News & Observer. That report would represent the end of a closely watched investigation into no-show classes that helped UNC athletes remain eligible over many years ending in 2011. The scandal has dragged on, embarrassing a university that has historically claimed it could balance academic values and athletic prowess.

Still, the situation raised eyebrows among outside observers who wondered what UNC meant by “scheduling circumstances” -- particularly since university officials do not typically appear together with NCAA officials when final investigative reports are released. Experts were also surprised by the lack of additional comment from UNC and the NCAA.

“It’s cliché, but the silence is deafening,” said Daniel Swinton, managing partner at NCHERM Group, a law and consulting firm. “That strikes me as odd. I’m not sure if it’s improper, but it certainly makes me wonder: How much influence does UNC have in this process?
”​

The Nile, 4,100 miles long ...

Reaction Score
Major university fundraising isn't usually tied to athletics so directly. The top benefactors I think were the art museum and the cancer center, things that are likely funded even if Maye misses that shot and Kentucky went on to win in the E8.
Agreed, luckily for UNC not too many undergrad no show courses have much impact on graduate-focused medical research nor on art museums. Typically, different target audiences. Concurrently, very few rational individuals aware of impacts of hoops and gridiron championships on general fund raising would reasonably deny the related positive effects.

Reaction Score
Athletic fundraising goes up with titles. I don't think the correlation is there on the academic side. And academic fundraising dwarfs athletic fundraising.

C

Chief00

I spend a fair amount of time in NC on business. It’s a booming state with lots of golf courses. We could learn some things from NC - just saying. Obviously, the fake classes are not a good thing, but they will overcome it.

Reaction Score
No but any student seeking to enroll in the fall 2017 would have started receiving acceptance letters in January & most would know no later than April. Each class is mostly wrapped up by June.

Reaction Score
Acknowledging research grants typically depend on and support graduate students and professors, typically do not consider the possibility most respectable universities do not offer absolutely no show, no work, no nothing courses a la UNC, and UNC's academic and administrative indiscretions only resulted in a rather unusual probation by its' acceditation board (albeit for only a single year), you might have had a valid point. Unfortunately, moral blinders are required to make such a feeble argument.

Regardless, you can carry on with irrelevant references to other UNC campuses and repeating previously discounted arguments regarding fundraising (see national championship), population growth playing a significant role in applications and admissions to the Chapel Hill campus still living in denial. Long river; Ramesses, eh?

UNC grad student, professor, administrator, or Roy Williams himself?

"On Thursday morning, it seemed (UNC's) capital campaign might be upstaged by the NCAA. The NCAA Committee on Infractions would be releasing its final report on a long-running UNC case at noon Friday, tweeted Andrew Carter, a reporter for The News & Observer. That report would represent the end of a closely watched investigation into no-show classes that helped UNC athletes remain eligible over many years ending in 2011. The scandal has dragged on, embarrassing a university that has historically claimed it could balance academic values and athletic prowess.

Still, the situation raised eyebrows among outside observers who wondered what UNC meant by “scheduling circumstances” -- particularly since university officials do not typically appear together with NCAA officials when final investigative reports are released. Experts were also surprised by the lack of additional comment from UNC and the NCAA.

“It’s cliché, but the silence is deafening,” said Daniel Swinton, managing partner at NCHERM Group, a law and consulting firm. “That strikes me as odd. I’m not sure if it’s improper, but it certainly makes me wonder: How much influence does UNC have in this process?
”​

The Nile, 4,100 miles long ...
UNC only has 19,000 undergrads & that number is unlikely to change much in the near future. Each first year class breaks down roughly to 3,400 first year NC residents, 800 out of state,800 transfers. So their isn't enough room for all qualified NC kids that want to go period. That's why NCSU,Charlotte & ECU all have between 3-5 thousand more undergrads &ASU,Wilmington & Greensboro have roughly the same as UNC. These schools all have strong programs & the cost of attendance is relatively cheap compared to some states

CL82

Reaction Score
They aren't going into their waiting list in September. The process starts in the spring and is all over but the shouting by June. Regardless, I doubt a departmental scandal that broke when a college freshman was in middle school is just now beginning to take its effect on enrollment.
Actually, at most schools decisions start happening, and typically finish, much sooner than that. but for this falls class they were taking wait listed students over the summer, say late July, early August. It was reach school for the students of which I am aware and one went into a well regarded specialty program. That could be an an aberration, but it isn't a good sign if it is trend.

Reaction Score
Actually, at most schools decisions start happening, and typically finish, much sooner than that. but for this falls class they were taking wait listed students over the summer, say late July, early August. It was reach school for the students of which I am aware and one went into a well regarded specialty program. That could be an an aberration, but it isn't a good sign if it is trend.
In state or out of state? Classes started August the 22nd & late regs was the 28th, so that's cutting it pretty close to get all your ducks in a row.

CL82

Reaction Score
In state or out of state? Classes started August the 22nd & late regs was the 28th, so that's cutting it pretty close to get all your ducks in a row.
Out of state. It was a big deal among my kid's friends because of the last minute change of plans. I guess that is the positive spin, because people were willing make an 11th hour change of plans once they got in.

Reaction Score
Out of state. It was a big deal among my kid's friends because of the last minute change of plans. I guess that is the positive spin, because people were willing make an 11th hour change of plans once they got in.
Ok that I can see, but UNC could fill it's spots with in state kids if it wanted which was my point. In state kids still want to go to UNC if admitted, out of state kids have more options.

Reaction Score
Was there ever a reasonable explanation as to what happened here?

NCAA: "We'll be releasing our penalties on Friday."
UNC: "Nah."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Was there ever a reasonable explanation as to what happened here?
NCAA: "We'll be releasing our penalties on Friday."
UNC: "Nah."

Sounds about right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22