OT: - NBA Playoffs | Page 36 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay, Windy. You really want to keep doing this?
That’s what I use now when someone is making an unsound argument in this debate. Or when discussing the Cowboys. Even @Scoe can make better, more demonstrable arguments.

Something to think about, though: his President overruled his request to have someone other than Spo coach him in Miami. Getting Blatt fired and replaced by Lue worked okay. Getting Luke Walton fired and replaced by Vogel/Kidd has worked okay.

It’s still a gulf of a difference from Dean Smith and Phil. If only LBJ could snap his fingers and make Popovich coach him his whole career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s what I use now when someone is making an unsound argument in this debate. Or when discussing the Cowboys. Even @Scoe can make better, more demonstrable arguments.

Something to think about, though: his President overruled his request to have someone other than Spo coach him in Miami. Getting Blatt fired and replaced by Lue worked okay. Getting Luke Walton fired and replaced by Vogel/Kidd has worked okay.

It’s still a gulf of a difference from Dean Smith and Phil. If only LBJ could snap his fingers and make Popovich coach him his whole career.
You just agreed Lebron has played GM while claiming my argument is unsound.

Reaction Score
You just agreed Lebron has played GM while claiming my argument is unsound.
I was playing along with your premise to demonstrate how it is unsound, hence “something to think about [regarding your argument]”.

Reaction Score
Detroit was at their peak they beat Bird and Magic to win titles, in 95 MJ just came out of retirement and still averaged 30, in 96 you saw what happened the Magic were actually better winning 60 games not enough to the Bulls 72 wins and sweeping Orlando. No one cares about the Wizards besides Kobe and Shaq already won their titles as well as Duncan, guess MJ couldn't stop everybody from winning a title.

Lebron left to join a super team and still couldn't 3 peat, while MJ 3 peated with his original team. Im sorry but leaving to join a super team in your prime won't help you in GOAT debates.

You just love making excuses

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
i think if MJ was born in 1985 he would be the undisputed best player of all time. it's not his fault he didn't get to play in the best era of basketball. but this era is only good bc of dudes like MJ. and the next era will only be better bc of dudes like lebron. You think these guys are getting worse over time? gimme a break. i love nostalgia and it's not that i don't think guys from older eras can't be better, but as a whole? it's just a different, evolved game, which is why it makes no sense to dwell on mj/lebron when you're only using it to diminish what lebron has accomplished (which is INSANE). the jazz made 13 total threes combined in the 98 finals. it's a different game. i don't think MJ fought to be as good as he was so that a bunch of old dudes stuck in the past could use him as a prop to talk about how good it was "back in their day"
you must be a youngster
The NBA is now a watered down foul plagued ghost of even 10 years ago
It's mostly kids who couldn't physically or mentally make the teams of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's
As I said earlier it's like the OBE vs the NBE - men vs boys
The refs of the past would laugh at LeBrons constant belly aching and he would be shown the showers

Reaction Score
Having Lebron is selling out in any long term success, while getting instant short term results. Literally happened everywhere. To @superjohn point, the guy plays GM on these teams. They end up being at or over cap, required to re-sign players to above market deals using bird rights because you can’t replace them in FA because you’re at cap.

Reaction Score
Kind of arbitrary when Lebron cost Durant a title with okc and probably without that Durant doesn’t leave okc and break the league with golden state. Punishing lebron for the latter while Not rewarding him for the former seems unfair.

And now that I’ve defended that , I need to go bathe in bleach.

Are you going to use beating the Celtics without Kyrie and Hayward as the dragging a team past Boston argument?
Not even sure what you are asking.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not even sure what you are asking.

You said he never carried a bad team past Boston in the playoffs. What year are you referring to? Certainly not the Miami years

Reaction Score
you must be a youngster
It's mostly kids who couldn't physically or mentally make the teams of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's
The refs of the past would laugh at LeBrons constant belly aching and he would be shown the showers

the players are more skilled now, especially when it comes to shooting. The biggest difference in basketball is the coaching though..if you watch old games and see the lack of spacing it makes you wonder what the hell the coaches were thinking.

Reaction Score
the players are more skilled now, especially when it comes to shooting. The biggest difference in basketball is the coaching though..if you watch old games and see the lack of spacing it makes you wonder what the hell the coaches were thinking.
I disagree on the players being more skilled today. In terms of three point shooting they are because the game turned into a three point shooting contest but Bird, McHale, Hakeem, Magic, Kareem would absolutely destroy today's players with their skills.

Reaction Score
You said he never carried a bad team past Boston in the playoffs. What year are you referring to? Certainly not the Miami years
Jordan....Jordan never beat Bird's Celtics.....

Reaction Score
Having Lebron is selling out in any long term success, while getting instant short term results. Literally happened everywhere. To @superjohn point, the guy plays GM on these teams. They end up being at or over cap, required to re-sign players to above market deals using bird rights because you can’t replace them in FA because you’re at cap.
Rocko seems really confused.

Reaction Score
Okay Skip

You already disclosed your motivation here when you accused people of not liking Lebron simply because he speaks out.

The bottom line in this argument is that there is no player in the history of professional basketball that you would rather have with the ball in his hands needing a bucket at the end of a game than MJ. It's not even close.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I disagree on the players being more skilled today. In terms of three point shooting they are because the game turned into a three point shooting contest but Bird, McHale, Hakeem, Magic, Kareem would absolutely destroy today's players with their skills.

That is a deep insight. 4 of those guys are probably among the top 10 players in NBA history, so yeah, they would be pretty good today too.

Reaction Score
you must be a youngster

This is an absolutely horrendous take. Just monumentally awful.

Reaction Score
This is an absolutely horrendous take. Just monumentally awful.

Do you think he knows Giannis exists? I'm continually stunned that a human being like Giannis exists in this world every time I watch him play, yet he thinks he couldn't play in the 60s?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Jordan....Jordan never beat Bird's Celtics.....

Maybe I’m misunderstand, but your post implies that Lebron did. But Jordan didn’t. So what year did Lebron do it?

Reaction Score
That is a deep insight. 4 of those guys are probably among the top 10 players in NBA history, so yeah, they would be pretty good today too.
I'm replying to someone who says players are more skilled today. I named some guys who would absilutely destroy everyone today with their skills. There is very little nuance on this board when it comes to the NBA. The league is high skilled now with three point shooting and really unskilled in post play. The guys I named would toy with anyone in the league now on the block.

You should probably stay out of NBA discussions after constantly telling us all how much the Lakers suck and that they would finish 10th in the West.

Reaction Score
You already disclosed your motivation here when you accused people of not liking Lebron simply because he speaks out.

The bottom line in this argument is that there is no player in the history of professional basketball that you would rather have with the ball in his hands needing a bucket at the end of a game than MJ. It's not even close.
Actually the numbers are extremely close if not in LBJ’s favor, depending on how the given “clutch” stat is defined

And LMAO please tell me what my “motivation” is

Reaction Score
you must be a youngster

its always funny how every single generation ever says this about the next generation. with zero trace of irony. every person ever alive, lives their entire life seeing records get broken, sees athletes get bigger/faster/stronger younger, sees every efficiency record constantly improved upon, and yet some will still think they were the peak. and when you're old and dead, my generation will carry on this same dumb tradition of being bitter instead of embracing change

i think if you think the next generation is worse than yours, than deep down that means your generation wasn't as good as you think it was. "we were so good, everyone watched and imitated us and got worse". i feel bad for people who want that to be their legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom