OT: - NBA Playoffs | Page 33 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can we wait until the offseason to engage UofCT2009 in his terrible historical NBA takes?

If I'm Miami I'm packing the paint and making LAL beat me with threes. Denver didn't stand a chance against LAL because they couldn't keep them out of the paint often enough. Some games were veritable layup lines. The other key if I'm Spo is that I'm keenly aware of the whistles LeBron and AD get--keeping Bam out of foul trouble is a top priority. I don't want to fan out to the perimeter and run guys off the line to create easy attacking angles for LeBron, Rondo, etc that will lead to paint possessions and ultimately more fouls.

AD needs to rise to the occasion and dominate Bam. I love watching Bam and can't wait to see how he performs against AD throughout a full series.

I think we'll get a close and fun series with some good chess moves. Ultimately, LA has LeBron and Miami doesn't. LAL in six.

Reaction Score
Can we wait until the offseason to engage UofCT2009 in his terrible historical NBA takes?

If I'm Miami I'm packing the paint and making LAL beat me with threes. Denver didn't stand a chance against LAL because they couldn't keep them out of the paint often enough. Some games were veritable layup lines. The other key if I'm Spo is that I'm keenly aware of the whistles LeBron and AD get--keeping Bam out of foul trouble is a top priority. I don't want to fan out to the perimeter and run guys off the line to create easy attacking angles for LeBron, Rondo, etc that will lead to paint possessions and ultimately more fouls.

AD needs to rise to the occasion and dominate Bam. I love watching Bam and can't wait to see how he performs against AD throughout a full series.

I think we'll get a close and fun series with some good chess moves. Ultimately, LA has LeBron and Miami doesn't. LAL in six.
I see a lot of Miami bench that was ineffective against the Celtics due to the C's plethora of wings coming into play in this series. Olenik will have at least one game with buckets, Kendrik Nunn & Derrick Jones Jr are as good as the various B-listers the Lakers roll out (Morris, washed Danny Green etc) and their bench will likely be a factor. If the Heat guards can score versus Marcus Smart they can certainly expose Rondo and announcer fave Caruso. Iggy came out of nowhere to make a serious mark on the Celtics series and I think he's money in the finals. Big edge of course to AD over BAM, but BAM might win that battle a game or two. So then could come down to who is hungrier and healthier between Butler and LeBron. Butler is really good and really poised to make a statement, but LeBron knows this is likely his last stand as a league top guy. I wouldn't bet against LeBron, but if the refs don't overly favor the Lakers again I think it'll be very closely contested. Lakers in 7 and then we can resume the ridiculous GOAT banter.

Reaction Score
All really good coaches.
So nobody wants to answer directly because they know where that question is leading. Good for you all.

The real point is that coaching in the playoffs and Finals means more. Pure talent gets you by in the regular season when everyone is playing 3-4 nights a week and constantly traveling, never playing their division opponents more than 4 times. But when you’re in a two-week series of seven consecutive games and days off between, coaching and scheming becomes paramount.

So after we appreciate that, besides it being apples and oranges, coaching matters more than surrounding talent (Golden State with Durant being an outlier). And you cannot deny that the gulf between relative surrounding talent and coaching aptitude is so clearly massive in MJ’s advantage with Phil. And oh yeah he had three years of Dean Smith. Ty Lue was in his first year ever as head coach in 2016.

This is why LBJ is stated as having the greatest BB IQ of all time: he has been a coach in himself for the better part of a decade.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
We agree

So who is it, Spo? Lue? Or is it Larry Brown? That’s all you have left besides Riley, Phil, and Pop.

This is a diacritic, by the way; not an interrogation.

Honestly, it might be Doc Rivers, lol.

Reaction Score
He's played with guys who combined for 17 all-star appearances while playing with him and he's played with a handful or so hall of famers.
And that addresses coaching in what way?

Not to mention a lot of those guys were All-Stars because of Lebron. Many never sniffed an appearance after parting ways with him. Not that All-Star is a great barometer in the NBA.

It is a silky debate between the two. I am happy I was able to see both of them. I think Lebron is better, but the opposing opinion isn't crazy.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
So nobody wants to answer directly because they know where that question is leading. Good for you all.

The real point is that coaching in the playoffs and Finals means more. Pure talent gets you by in the regular season when everyone is playing 3-4 nights a week and constantly traveling, never playing their division opponents more than 4 times. But when you’re in a two-week series of seven consecutive games and days off between, coaching and scheming becomes paramount.

So after we appreciate that, besides it being apples and oranges, coaching matters more than surrounding talent (Golden State with Durant being an outlier). And you cannot deny that the gulf between relative surrounding talent and coaching aptitude is so clearly massive in MJ’s advantage with Phil. And oh yeah he had three years of Dean Smith. Ty Lue was in his first year ever as head coach in 2016.

This is why LBJ is stated as having the greatest BB IQ of all time: he has been a coach in himself for the better part of a decade.

I dno, I think it's clearly important to have a good/great coach ... but I also think in the NBA the most important thing is having great players. Not one of these great coaches won the title without an all-time great player, EXCEPT Larry Brown. They all had pretty incredible rosters and are part of pretty great organizations that built teams properly.

To me, coaching in college is more important. Sure, the NBA you have rotations and subs and obviously some play designs, but no one is totally out-scheming others in the NBA. It's a make or miss league, a players league. If you have the horses, chances are you will go far.

Reaction Score
I dno, I think it's clearly important to have a good/great coach ... but I also think in the NBA the most important thing is having great players. Not one of these great coaches won the title without an all-time great player, EXCEPT Larry Brown. They all had pretty incredible rosters and are part of pretty great organizations that built teams properly.
Well yeah you have to have great players. Everyone in the last two rounds has great players. That’s a given. Then, when it really matters, coaching makes the difference. Sometimes, coaching beats talent even earlier; it happened twice this year with the Clippers and Bucks.

Ive really started this whole side discussion over what has become a comparison of LBJ’s alleged advantage in surrounding help, which itself is astonishing when you consider what he’s had to try to accomplish with legendary sidekicks like Ilgauskas and Dellavedova; and MJ’s massive coaching advantage.

Reaction Score

Easy Lefty!

Reaction Score
If the Lakers win Game 1, Lakers in 4

If Miami wins game 1, Lakers in 6

If Miami wins games 1 and 2, Miami in 5

Reaction Score
He's played with guys who combined for 17 all-star appearances while playing with him and he's played with a handful or so hall of famers.

hasn't he been in the league for 17 years? that's a pretty meaningless statistic. he dragged some terrible lineups deep into the playoffs.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
hasn't he been in the league for 17 years? that's a pretty meaningless statistic. he dragged some terrible lineups deep into the playoffs.

Yeah that 17 number has to be off, or being interpreted wrong ... AD, Kyrie, Wade and Bosh should be close to that ... no one else has ever made an All-star team as his teammate?

He has played with at least one elite player since he left CLE the first time, so it's not like he's had terrible teammates... but his first run in CLE was all him, for the most part.

The guy is incredible, anyone saying otherwise is ridiculous. But I'd still take Jordan as the greatest ever, Lebron is my #2.

Reaction Score
Yeah that 17 number has to be off, or being interpreted wrong ... AD, Kyrie, Wade and Bosh should be close to that ... no one else has ever
He has played with at least one elite player since he left CLE the first time, so it's not like he's had terrible teammates... but his first run in CLE was all him, for the most part.
He went for 36/13/9 in that 2015 finals and took it to six games with Delly as his best team mate.

Reaction Score
Yeah that 17 number has to be off, or being interpreted wrong ... AD, Kyrie, Wade and Bosh should be close to that ... no one else has ever made an All-star team as his teammate?

The guy is incredible, anyone saying otherwise is ridiculous. But I'd still take Jordan as the greatest ever, Lebron is my #2.

MJ couldn't even lead the Wizards to the playoffs. Do you just pretend like that never happened?

Reaction Score

I'm apparently missing 2 but can't figure out who, could only come up with 15

Dwyane Wade x4: 2011-14
Chris Bosh x4: 2011-14
Kyrie Irving x2: 2015, 2017
Kevin Love x2: 2015, 2018
Mo Williams x1: 2009
Zydrunas Ilgauskas x1: 2005
Anthony Davis x1: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online