NBA Playoffs 2023

why do you like the celtics?

• sixers

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • celtics

Votes: 65 82.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
That goaltending on Davis, the call on Jokic’s horrendous retaliation flop on Lebron, the Austin Reaves block, and the Jokic push-off that was called on Davis were the highlights for me. Some real serious head-scratchers last night.
I mean the biggest for me was the DLo flagrant. If that’s a flagrant, there should be 15 flagrant fouls called every game. Ridiculous.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I mean the biggest for me was the DLo flagrant. If that’s a flagrant, there should be 15 flagrant fouls called every game. Ridiculous.
Don’t forget the clear foul on the Lebron fast break in the 3rd where Bruce just smacked his wrist and got nothing for it.

Reaction Score
Disagree, LeBron and AD each need to and have been playing 40mpg - they need their two best guys to win. That's the depth issue.
If AD had an average game by his standards, it would not have been an issue.
And at altitude in Denver the dropoff in the 4th Q was predictable. LeBron took & missed THREE settle 3's in the 4th with fatigue playing a role and that's when Denver pulled away.
Maybe, but taking LeBron’s 0/6 out, the team shot 33% from 3. The real depth argument, which you kind of made, was more so how Denver essentially erased the lead with LeBron on the bench in the third.
I don't think LA can win in Denver unless someone else on that team carries a big load early (allowing LeBron or AD to rest) or late = 4th Q.
Yeah AD needs to have more than 6 points in the first half and certainly more than 2 in the first quarter. It’s really that simple. He had 40 in game 1; we all know he’s capable.

Reaction Score
Oh right, forgot about that one too. They shouldn’t have upgraded it, because it’s the playoffs and things should be accepted with a little more intensity; but they did at least have the letter of the law on their side. The ball was completely off the cylinder and below the rim on that goaltending call; absolutely insane.

Reaction Score
Disagree, LeBron and AD each need to and have been playing 40mpg - they need their two best guys to win. That's the depth issue. And at altitude in Denver the dropoff in the 4th Q was predictable. LeBron took & missed THREE settle 3's in the 4th with fatigue playing a role and that's when Denver pulled away.

I don't think LA can win in Denver unless someone else on that team carries a big load early (allowing LeBron or AD to rest) or late = 4th Q.
Jokic and Murray have logged 162 minutes in the two games. Davis and Lebron have logged 160 minutes in the two games.

The Nuggets certainly need Jokic and Murray just as much as the Lakers need Davis and Lebron to win.

Reaves and Hachimura have looked like all-stars in the two games, not sure why you think other guys aren't carrying a big load (haha) just sounds funny to say.

Reaction Score
Oh right, forgot about that one too. They shouldn’t have upgraded it, because it’s the playoffs and things should be accepted with a little more intensity; but they did at least have the letter of the law on their side. The ball was completely off the cylinder and below the rim on that goaltending call; absolutely insane.
If they wanna go by the letter of the law on everything, Bruce Brown hit Hachimura (I think) on the head and didn’t get a flagrant. DLo was so obviously just going for the block. It’s transition, everything looks more intense than it was. Just terrible refereeing.

Also, another qualm, stop having friggin’ Steve Javie pipe in on every call. He literally ALWAYS agrees with the refs. It’s so obvious that’s what he is told to do.

Reaction Score
Jokic and Murray have logged 162 minutes in the two games. Davis and Lebron have logged 160 minutes in the two games.

The Nuggets certainly need Jokic and Murray just as much as the Lakers need Davis and Lebron to win.

Reaves and Hachimura have looked like all-stars in the two games, not sure why you think other guys aren't carrying a big load (haha) just sounds funny to say.
Murray is 26, Jokic 28 and they both are acclimated to altitude in Denver.
Davis is 30 (can't call that a wash with Jokic as Davis is Mr. Glass) and LeBron is 38.
Denver's guys can and should play ~40, Davis & LeBron can't and shouldn't (ideally), due to injury prone-ness and age, respectively.
Yet I do think LA likely can and will win one or two games in LA, but in Denver as I said I don't think they can close the games in the 4th playing those minutes and the games are unlikely to be close if LeBron or AD sit significantly during first 3 qtrs.

The point is the Lakers need LeBron and Davis on the floor almost every minute to not fall drastically behind. Even when the other guys pickup some of the heavy scoring load it is with AD & LeBron out there for defense and decoy.

Reaction Score
Murray is 26, Jokic 28 and they both are acclimated to altitude in Denver.
Davis is 30 (can't call that a wash with Jokic as Davis is Mr. Glass) and LeBron is 38.
Denver's guys can and should play ~40, Davis & LeBron can't and shouldn't (ideally), due to injury prone-ness and age, respectively.
Yet I do think LA likely can and will win one or two games in LA, but in Denver as I said I don't think they can close the games in the 4th playing those minutes and the games are unlikely to be close if LeBron or AD sit significantly during first 3 qtrs.

The point is the Lakers need LeBron and Davis on the floor almost every minute to not fall drastically behind. Even when the other guys pickup some of the heavy scoring load it is with AD & LeBron out there for defense and decoy.
I agree about age and injury but your post sounded like it was some sort of unique thing that the Lakers needed their two best guys on the court to win, obviously the Nuggets do to. Glad you clarified it.

Lebron is incredibly unique in his stamina. He's not the player he once was but he still really doesn't seem to get all that tired. Maybe he's tired when he reverts to his broken jumper instead of driving to the rim, I don't know. Davis is a different story, he totally dominates and then sort of floats around. Injury and minutes are always a concern with him.

Jokic and Murray while much younger are also in a bit of a unique position. Jokic is asked to do more than any player in basketball. He's their one big guy. He's supposed to do all the rebounding on both ends, lead the fastbreak. Bring the ball up often. Play out of the post, play out on the perimeter. Orchestrate their entire offense. It's a lot for a center carrying 285 lbs. Murray hasn't played in basically 2 years, it's a lot for a guy coming back.

Reaction Score
I agree with the first part, they are just as deep or deeper than the Nuggets but Denver had a very friendly home whistle, what?

It was 26-10 on ft's until the final minute of the game and the Lakers were intentionally fouling Murray in desperation mode. Nobody in basketball gets the whistle the Lakers get. I saw four clear fouls on Jokic with no call, a couple of them he was shoved right to the floor. Lebron grabs Jokic and then does the craziest soccer flop and Jokic gets hit with the foul.
At least Jokic extended his arm so LeBron had something to flop on. Jokic then actually soccer flopped the next possession and LeBron was called for doing normal posting.

And there was that insane goaltending call. And the softest flagrant in playoff history. It doesn’t just come down to FT difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At least Jokic extended his arm so LeBron had something to flop on. Jokic then actually soccer flopped the next possession and LeBron was called for doing normal posting.

And there was that insane goaltending call. And the softest flagrant in playoff history. It doesn’t just come down to FT difference.
He did but it was after Lebron grabbed him, technically they grabbed each other I just thought Lebron grabbed his arm first before Jokic extended the arm and Lebron flopped. Jokic sold the contact and flopped the other way on the next play when Lebron extended his arm into Jokic's body. That's called beating someone at their own game. LeBron knew it was fair play, it's why he smiled and didn't carry on like he usually does.

Reaction Score
I agree about age and injury but your post sounded like it was some sort of unique thing that the Lakers needed their two best guys on the court to win, obviously the Nuggets do to. Glad you clarified it.

Lebron is incredibly unique in his stamina. He's not the player he once was but he still really doesn't seem to get all that tired. Maybe he's tired when he reverts to his broken jumper instead of driving to the rim, I don't know. Davis is a different story, he totally dominates and then sort of floats around. Injury and minutes are always a concern with him.

Jokic and Murray while much younger are also in a bit of a unique position. Jokic is asked to do more than any player in basketball. He's their one big guy. He's supposed to do all the rebounding on both ends, lead the fastbreak. Bring the ball up often. Play out of the post, play out on the perimeter. Orchestrate their entire offense. It's a lot for a center carrying 285 lbs. Murray hasn't played in basically 2 years, it's a lot for a guy coming back.
Yeah, everyone's stars need to play way more minutes and have more responsibility in the playoffs, especially the deeper you get (that too is a factor for LeBron and AD coupled with age & injury - each successive playoff game grinds them down). Jokic's high burden could be a big deal, but he's been a giant reliable Oak tree. Historically that means a shorter prime, but to date he hasn't had durability issues & has carried the team over past few seasons.

I have heard that Jokic turned down the intensity the last portion of the season, in the context of Embid getting MVP. I wasn't closely observing but that could also give him more playoff oomph than AD or LeBron.

Right now we are just in the typical home team wins the first two and everyone overreacts that the series is over. I fully expect the Lakers to win the next game at least. Possibly the next two in which case everyone overreacts the other way. I am confident that Denver wins every home game of this series.

Reaction Score
I think the Lakers win the next 2 by double digits and we see close games the rest of the series.

Reaction Score
If they wanna go by the letter of the law on everything, Bruce Brown hit Hachimura (I think) on the head and didn’t get a flagrant. DLo was so obviously just going for the block. It’s transition, everything looks more intense than it was. Just terrible refereeing.
It was the face contact and the alleged “wind up” to do it that, together, led to the call. I think I can remember what you’re talking about and maybe there was no windup
Also, another qualm, stop having friggin’ Steve Javie pipe in on every call. He literally ALWAYS agrees with the refs. It’s so obvious that’s what he is told to do.
Yeah they should really only bring him in to further explain rules or processes like when the reds were reviewing something at the end of a quarter, he clarified their process of assessing how much time if any should still be on the clock. For accuracy with calls like a block/charge or shooting foul, he’s nearly useless

Reaction Score
It was the face contact and the alleged “wind up” to do it that, together, led to the call. I think I can remember what you’re talking about and maybe there was no windup

Yeah they should really only bring him in to further explain rules or processes like when the reds were reviewing something at the end of a quarter, he clarified their process of assessing how much time if any should still be on the clock. For accuracy with calls like a block/charge or shooting foul, he’s nearly useless
But, as JVG and Mark Jackson were saying at the time, you almost always have to wind up to a degree to challenge a shot. Either way, letter on the law or not, 100% a basketball play that should never be a flagrant IMO.

Reaction Score
Yeah, everyone's stars need to play way more minutes and have more responsibility in the playoffs, especially the deeper you get (that too is a factor for LeBron and AD coupled with age & injury - each successive playoff game grinds them down). Jokic's high burden could be a big deal, but he's been a giant reliable Oak tree. Historically that means a shorter prime, but to date he hasn't had durability issues & has carried the team over past few seasons.

I have heard that Jokic turned down the intensity the last portion of the season, in the context of Embid getting MVP. I wasn't closely observing but that could also give him more playoff oomph than AD or LeBron.

Right now we are just in the typical home team wins the first two and everyone overreacts that the series is over. I fully expect the Lakers to win the next game at least. Possibly the next two in which case everyone overreacts the other way. I am confident that Denver wins every home game of this series.
Series is just getting started. I expect the Lakers to win the next 2 at home, they're playing excellent ball.

That makes sense to me about Jokic resting at the end of the season and conceding the MVP to be ready for the playoffs. Denver lost a lot of games near the end of the season but it looks like outside of just the last 2 games Jokic's minutes remained high.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If AD had an average game by his standards, it would not have been an issue.
But if he played an average game he would have played above average for the two games.

Reaction Score
He did but it was after Lebron grabbed him, technically they grabbed each other I just thought Lebron grabbed his arm first before Jokic extended the arm and Lebron flopped. Jokic sold the contact and flopped the other way on the next play when Lebron extended his arm into Jokic's body. That's called beating someone at their own game. LeBron knew it was fair play, it's why he smiled and didn't carry on like he usually does.
Agree to disagree

Reaction Score
I think the Lakers win the next 2 by double digits and we see close games the rest of the series.
this is why I hate best of 7. i like best of 5, less chance of fatigue, wear, injury & other factors but it’s all about $$$$$. I prefer 3, back to back and the 3rd decides the victor.

baseball makes sense for 7 because they stand around 90% of the time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Ghost of David Stern is doing everything possible to keep Tatum from completely embarrassing himself. Bails Tatum out of a near airball 3 by giving him credit for kicking his leg out. Then Tatum threw his crossover out of bounds, and the refs ruled it off Miami, Even the foul on the drive was a 50/50 call.

Amazing that a backup jawing at Butler didn't turn out well for the backup.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s crazy to me how the Celtics absolutely refuse to take a midrange shot.

Meanwhile Jimmy has been killing them down the stretch with that same shot. Including Gabe stepping in to hit one in the last minute.

Your only option down the stretch absolutely cannot be the hardest shot in basketball.

Reaction Score

Game was over right here. Once you get this face from Jimmy it's over

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What was Shaq’s story about the dog? I know it was funny, but I can’t remember it exactly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom