NBA Playoffs 2023

why do you like the celtics?

• sixers

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • celtics

Votes: 65 82.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Never understand why coaches use those challenges early, especially if it’s not to get a star player out of foul trouble.
Yeah if it's a 2nd foul on Giannis in a do or die game I get it, gotta take the risk to keep him on the court. But not for a 1st foul. Although even on a 2nd you should just play him through the foul trouble, but no coaches do that either

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Love the
That Adelman Blazers team should have had multiple rings, also those Paul Westphal Sun's teams should've had rings (I blame Jordan for this though). But those teams were stacked.

The Adelman Blazers teams were stacked, and the Bulls were definitely not with the first three rings. Also, Adelman's first NBA Finals appearance was against an aging Pistons team, not the Bulls, and Adelman lost in 5. That 89-90 Blazers team criminally underutilized Cliff, and also had a young Drazen Petrovic buried on the bench. Play those two off the bench in the high 20's of MPG, and Blazers walk to a title that year. Petrovic played 29 minutes in the finals that year. Can you imagine a coach being that much of a dipspit that they wouldn't recognize that they had a supreme talent like Petrovic on the bench? Cliff only played 82 minutes in 5 games.

Reaction Score
Boston choked away the last game but is still up 3-2. Hopefully can put this away. Across the NBA and NHL we are seeing most series be quite difficult for the favored teams.

This series should have been a gentleman's sweep at worst. It's #concerning to me that Boston was going through the motions like they were. I think they'll close out the series next game but it doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence going forward. Some inexplicably horrendous decision-making by Mazzula and some brutal plays by guys you trust to be better down the stretch of game 5.

Reaction Score
The Adelman Blazers teams were stacked, and the Bulls were definitely not with the first three rings. Also, Adelman's first NBA Finals appearance was against an aging Pistons team, not the Bulls, and Adelman lost in 5. That 89-90 Blazers team criminally underutilized Cliff, and also had a young Drazen Petrovic buried on the bench. Play those two off the bench in the high 20's of MPG, and Blazers walk to a title that year. Petrovic played 29 minutes in the finals that year. Can you imagine a coach being that much of a dipspit that they wouldn't recognize that they had a supreme talent like Petrovic on the bench? Cliff only played 82 minutes in 5 games.
It's crazy. I used to go to Brendan Byrne to see the NETS as a kid and Drazen was the fan favorite. I was 12 years old and remembering thinking it was so weird that Drazen was on the Blazers because I couldnt really remember watching him play there. I remember Cliff as a blazer way more but agree they were criminally under used.

Reaction Score

Thoughts on Giannis comments? P.S- I love Rooks. Great journalist….

Not winning a championship isn't a failure. A lot has to go right to win a title. Losing to the 8th seed , who were life and death to get in, and are shorthanded, is a failure. There is just no way around that. They can't even blame it on lucky bounces, etc. They lost 4 games to 1 for God's sake.

Reaction Score

I was gonna post about this. I loved it. I know some Alphas might say "sounds like a loser" but that's the "me against the world" outlook that isn't as popular anymore. The new world questions the media and the status quo and focuses more on true human experience. I think this fits.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
"Budenholzer is a good coach" is one of those weird conventional wisdoms that doesn't survive even a cursory revenue. It is based on the 22 win jump the Hawks made under Budenholzer between 13-14 and 14-15. That jump happened in a large part because Horford played a full season and Schroder matured into a very productive 6th man. The rest of the team at the time, Teague, Millsap, Carroll and Korver, all in or near their prime, was a pretty good team. Not a threat to win the title, but a team that should have gotten 50+ wins. Hawks had a 60-22 season, Budenholzer wins coach of the year, and everything thinks he is a genius. The team got worse each of the next three seasons, despite adding Dwight Howard and Tim Hardaway. It wasn't Budenholzer's fault the Hawks decided to tank in 17-18, but he did win only 24 games that season. So why did the Bucks hand him the keys?

He has had arguably the best team in the NBA the last 5 years, with maybe the exception of last year after Middleton got hurt. He has a championship, but after that, a first round and two second round exits. That is brutal given the talent he has had.

I am trying to think of a coach that did less with more over an extended period than Budenholzer. Rick Adelman of the late 80's/early 90's Trail Blazers wasn't great in big games, but he still made two NBA Finals and a Conference Finals over a three year stretch, although the prime of that team ended when a lot of the players were still pretty young. He registers because he had two teams underachieve, doing it again at Sacramento 10 years later with the Webber/Stojakovic teams, only making one conference finals despite having one of the best teams in the NBA for a four year stretch.
To add here a bit, when the Bucks won they had a pretty injury riddled path through the Eastern Conference.

They went 7 with the Nets with no Harden or Kyrie and went 6 with the Hawks after Trae Young went down in game 4. It was a tied series before he got hurt.

If Kyrie doesn’t get hurt or KD is a shoe size smaller, we’re probably talking about them not ever getting to a Conference Finals.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Amazing answer from Giannas, and Rooks is also amazing as well and just as nice in person.

But it’s hard not to see losing 4-1 to an 8th seed as a failure. Even though it’s not entirely his fault. He’s this generation Shaq at this point. He needs a Kobe/Wade/Penny.

Reaction Score
It's an easy foul call on Butler if they go to review it. Luckily Budenholzer wasted his challenge 3 minutes into the game to try and get Giannis's 1st foul overturned
Or not. Cannot review plays where no fouls were called.
The NBA implemented the “coach's challenge” in the 2019-20 season. It allows for head coaches to challenge one call made by the officials every game (no-calls cannot be challenged).
------------------
I mean think about it, it is only 1 per team per game,Rule 14 Section 1 (d) = NOPE but reviewing plays to find a foul when nothing was called would be yet another loooooong delay. And of course there's no stoppage of play if nothing is called so you'd have to wait for next whistle and then possible enter a stupid time warp of did what happen next count or not!?

Reaction Score
They lost to Toronto in the conference finals in 2019
True, but he only said talking about Milwaukee not ever getting to a conference finals was probable.

If being wrong means we don't talk about something, there probably wouldn't be a boneyard.

Reaction Score
True, but he only said talking about Milwaukee not ever getting to a conference finals was probable.

If being wrong means we don't talk about something, there probably wouldn't be a boneyard.
Confused Gary Coleman GIF

Reaction Score
I know a different game is on, but the NBA's Last 2 Minute Report did say there should have been a foul on Jimmy Butler's layup to send the game to OT....

....a holding foul on Pat Connaughton :confused:

Reaction Score
Trae Young 1-12 in the second half, Celtics on an 11-0 run thanks to an open 3, two really hard threes, and a monster Tatum putback slam

That might do it in Atlanta

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I knew that you wouid have a most intellectual response ever.... You did not disappoint...

FYI "Car Stolen" also tells what it is about, but it was moved. Predictably, you missed the point of my post.
I'll answer honestly. I'm not a mod, but there's a process they seem to follow.

A. It is off season, so OT threads last longer on the main board before being moved, if they remain relevant and on topic.
B. Superjohn's thread had gone off the rails, and was a topic of limited interest about a specific event that is over.
C. The NBA playoffs are ongoing, the thread is active and mostly on topic. So keeping it visible to more people is better for continued discussion.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Trae Young 1-12 in the second half, Celtics on an 11-0 run thanks to an open 3, two really hard threes, and a monster Tatum putback slam

That might do it in Atlanta
At some point in the 2nd period, Trae hit a 3, and they were shooting 11-16 in the period. Boston was shooting 50% and it felt like they were Andre Jackson by comparison. I didn't believe the Hawks could pull a Villanova and indeed they eventually started missing. Boston started guarding a little better, but even with fairly open shots, 69% is pretty ridiculous. Whole team was just unconscious.

Big win for Boston. Now the real eastern conference championship is about to happen. I think the winner of Boston/Philadelphia goes to the Finals. Knicks - Heat should be entertaining through.

Hoping both western conference games go to 7.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

It's more a matter of everyone trying to knock them because they lost. A 1-8 loss is bad, no way around it, but their title counts. You can't take it away because Durant had his toe on the line or whatever.

Whenever something bad happens people try to discount everything a team has done, which I don't get. How many great players retire without a title?

Reaction Score
At some point in the 2nd period, Trae hit a 3, and they were shooting 11-16 in the period. Boston was shooting 50% and it felt like they were Andre Jackson by comparison. I didn't believe the Hawks could pull a Villanova and indeed they eventually started missing. Boston started guarding a little better, but even with fairly open shots, 69% is pretty ridiculous. Whole team was just unconscious.

Big win for Boston. Now the real eastern conference championship is about to happen. I think the winner of Boston/Philadelphia goes to the Finals. Knicks - Heat should be entertaining through.

Hoping both western conference games go to 7.

I'm really enjoying the West 2v7 and 3v6 right now. Higher seeded, young, up and coming teams vs. lower seeded mature teams that have experienced winning (at least Lebron/AD)

I hope GS/LAL win because I'd love to see Lebron vs. Curry again. And of course because that Draymond Green podcast after eliminating Dillon Brooks would be hilarious

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm really enjoying the West 2v7 and 3v6 right now. Higher seeded, young, up and coming teams vs. lower seeded mature teams that have experienced winning (at least Lebron/AD)

I hope GS/LAL win because I'd love to see Lebron vs. Curry again. And of course because that Draymond Green podcast after eliminating Dillon Brooks would be hilarious
I'm rooting against LA and GS, because I'm done with Lebron and Curry, Klay and especially Green. If Lebron and Green never win another basketball game in their lives, that would be fine with me. Nothing against Curry or Klay, but just like with Jordan and Pippen, they've been in too many finals in the last decade and it's time for somebody else. Really hoping the Nuggets come out of the west.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting against LA and GS, because I'm done with Lebron and Curry, Klay and especially Green. If Lebron and Green never win another basketball game in their lives, that would be fine with me. Nothing against Curry or Klay, but just like with Jordan and Pippen, they've been in too many finals in the last decade and it's time for somebody else. Really hoping the Nuggets come out of the west.
I'm a Nuggets fan so I can get behind your hopes :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom