NBA Draft tonight | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's why Harrell should have declared after last year when he was a near lock for lottery. The Harrison twins were in better position after their freshmen year as well.
No no no no no. Best indication where you would have been drafted is WHERE YOU ARE DRAFTED.

There is intense scouting, measuring, testing, questioning and assessments that take place AFTER you declare and these are akin to worlds most competitive job interviews. Saying a guy goes #___ before any of this is assuming you get a job b/c you secured one interview amongst 100+ who did the same.

Unless there is a coming glut at your position staying in school helps your game. Harrell showed a jump shot this year and the twins were lauded for getting back to the final four. You think their buzz after getting totally undressed by Bazz and Boat was high?!

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Am I missing something on D'Angelo Russell? Turns the ball over a lot, doesn't shoot well from the field, isn't crazy athletic...
Yeah you are kids a stud.. Carried OSU since day 1

Reaction Score
Am I missing something on D'Angelo Russell? Turns the ball over a lot, doesn't shoot well from the field, isn't crazy athletic...
Well he carried OSU, shot 45% from the field and 41% from 3 and is a good rebounding guard and passer...so a better question would be what isn't he good at?

Reaction Score
Not a Knicks fan, and the Porzingis pick was bad. You don't pick a project there, because you can't afford to miss. There are much safer picks there, including a guy like Mudiay who still is a super high-ceiling player. Porzingis is not an NBA-level starter right now. Maybe he is later, but maybe he isn't.

The move for Grant was good, but I don't know if he's athletic enough to be a full-time PG in the NBA. We'll see.
I admit I have no idea how Porzingis will do. Never seen him play but the film on him shows a very talented and mobile 7 footer. Most of the picks are "projects" anyways. How many in this draft will come in and be a dominant force in their 1st year. I think the gamble will pay off.

Reaction Score
I admit I have no idea how Porzingis will do. Never seen him play but the film on him shows a very talented and mobile 7 footer. Most of the picks are "projects" anyways. How many in this draft will come in and be a dominant force in their 1st year. I think the gamble will pay off.

This.

Sure, there's some guys who they could have picked who are more NBA ready but it's not like anyone was going to come in and make them a contender next year.

I personally would have gone with Mudiay, but I don't dislike the pick, and both guys are players we are judging based on limited info.

Reaction Score
I agree that Kaminski seems dangerous, just his thin frame to me makes me worried, but I was definitely proven wrong when Tayshaun had a nice career and never bulked up. I liked what I saw in Porzingis highlights, but his lowlights are pretty terrifying. I think he will be good as long as someone like Cousins doesn't break him in half before he can mature his body

I am a bit upset that Grant goes to NY, because to me he seems like a slightly stretched out Kemba. Kemba in NY would be a thing of beauty, so I guess now Jerian will be the fake Kemba.

As a Bostonian, the Celtics picks had me scratching my head, maybe a trade is coming, but I don't think Rozier needed to be taken that high. it also seemed like some teams avoided taking a big maybe because they see themselves getting one of the free agents. When that doesn't happen, since theres only a few out there, maybe Philly makes a trade for one of their bigs.

What do you guys think the 76ers plan is? You can't just trade Embiid because he hasn't played and no one knows if he's even valuable. You don't want to trade Nerlens or Okafor unless the price is right, seems like quite a predicament. I think Mudiay would have been the better move but we'll see

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
One of the analysts, I believe it was Bilas
Yeah it was Bilas. He said 6.4 per 40 multiple times but he was way off. He averaged 6.4 rebounds per game while playing 26 minutes. Still not a phenomenal rate for a guy who's 7'1" but for Bilas to say his rebounding is a negative is pretty much wrong I think.

Reaction Score
Yeah it was Bilas. He said 6.4 per 40 multiple times but he was way off. He averaged 6.4 rebounds per game while playing 26 minutes. Still not a phenomenal rate for a guy who's 7'1" but for Bilas to say his rebounding is a negative is pretty much wrong I think.

Yeah I think its somewhat for similar reasons that Brimah doesn't rebound well. Willie comes out to guard smaller players which often wont leave him in any position to get the rebound, just like Brimah is going for the block so he's landing when the rebound is up for grabs (if he didn't block the shot)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As a Knicks fan, the thing I took away from the draft is that Phil Jackson absolutely does not care if he fails here. He already won by convincing Dolan to pay him crazy money to do as he pleases, and he's already got enough of a track record prior to this that his NBA legacy is secure irrespective of how either this pick or his Knick tenure in general turn out.

No one truly has any idea how Porzingis will turn out, and the pick is exactly as he described it: a huge risk with a potentially huge payoff. Personally, I think it's reckless, but it is interesting. Part of me is somewhat impressed that he took such a huge gamble, but upon further reflection about his existing legacy, what he inherited, and what he's being paid, I see it moreso as a "Hey, WTF, why not go for it?" move. Historically, these moves have not paid off for the Knicks, but to some degree that does make it slightly more impressive that he was willing to make a decision that has strong potential to be another in a long line of colossal failures for the franchise.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Am I to assume there is a drinking game on NBA draft night whenever an analyst talked about a player's wing span?

Bilas gave mention to America's problem with sobriety as a precursor to mentioning some of the top players' wings spans.

Reaction Score
As a Knicks fan, I personally love the Porzingis pick. Kid can be an absolute stud. Best talent available at that point. Didn't expect Phil to do it, but was happy he did. Getting Grant for Hardaway Jr. was a nice move as well.

Huge risk. I know the Knicks were disappointed they didn't get a top 3 pick, but Porzingis could be the bust of the draft. He's 7'1" and weighs what, like 230 pounds?

I think Knicks fans were right to be pissed.

Reaction Score
As a Knicks fan, the thing I took away from the draft is that Phil Jackson absolutely does not care if he fails here. He already won by convincing Dolan to pay him crazy money to do as he pleases, and he's already got enough of a track record prior to this that his NBA legacy is secure irrespective of how either this pick or his Knick tenure in general turn out.

No one truly has any idea how Porzingis will turn out, and the pick is exactly as he described it: a huge risk with a potentially huge payoff. Personally, I think it's reckless, but it is interesting. Part of me is somewhat impressed that he took such a huge gamble, but upon further reflection about his existing legacy, what he inherited, and what he's being paid, I see it moreso as a "Hey, WTF, why not go for it?" move. Historically, these moves have not paid off for the Knicks, but to some degree that does make it slightly more impressive that he was willing to make a decision that has strong potential to be another in a long line of colossal failures for the franchise.

Yea, but historically we haven't made these types of risks, not risks that are focused on the future. They've been more like, "well, this team is struggling, and has no chemistry, so lets trade for a washed up Steve Francis to pair with Marbury, maybe that will turn things around."

I'd rather take a chance on a guy like him than play it safe when you're picking number 4.

Reaction Score
Ainge has 4 first rounders next year. Here's to hoping we took 3 guards because there is a big trade in the works.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Porzingis pick reminds me of when the Pistons picked Darko #2. The difference is Detroit was in the midst of their Eastern Conference Finals run. They could afford to take a risk. New York is a tire fire.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The only way Porzingis selection makes sense is if Phil plans on trading Anthony at some point in the next year. Porzingis is a long-term project in every sense of the word. He needs to add muscle so he can defend the post. He needs to add leg strength so he can bang down low. And he needs to develop rebounding skills. The kid has a fluid stroke and will be able to bring defenders out high. But, the pieces won't come together on his complete game for another few years.

Which leads me to Anthony. Dude is signed to a max contract and his on the wrong side of 30. He's always hurt. He can't defend because he's from Syracheat. Flip him for a pick or two and completely commit to a full and proper rebuild. The Knicks aren't going to win in the next 2-3 years while Porzingis develops. Clear up cap space, add a few assets to get younger, and hope Porzingis fills out his body and potential. Grant becomes the playmaker and then hope to add some scorers through the draft or free agency in 2016.

Reaction Score
Ainge has 4 first rounders next year. Here's to hoping we took 3 guards because there is a big trade in the works.
Listening to Ainge on the radio this morning, I don't think he has a plan. I don't think there's a major trade in the works.

He's got a reputation in the league as a guy who's going to fleece you (see Minnesota, Brooklyn trades), and now I think GMs are hesitant to deal with him.

I liked the RJ Hunter pick. Great shooter. Should be able to score. Other than that, Danny gets an F for last night.

Rozier might have turned some heads in the workouts, but he's got the same skillset and not nearly as much talent as Marcus Smart, so what's the point? You take him at 16?? Not to mention you already have a 6th man point guard in Isaiah Thomas, who also might be the best player on the team right now.

Mickey might be a good defender, but from what we're hearing he has zero offensive skill. Which is really what you'd expect from an early 2nd-round pick.

The Celtics have a ton of picks, but those picks actually have to pan out and be low numbers for anyone to care. Obviously trying to pair 16, 28, and a player didn't get us anywhere last night. We need lottery picks. Making the playoffs last year ended up killing us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Porzingis pick reminds me of when the Pistons picked Darko #2. The difference is Detroit was in the midst of their Eastern Conference Finals run. They could afford to take a risk. New York is a tire fire.

I was listening to Larry Brown this morning. The comparison between those two was brought up. Brown said a couple of big differences were that Darko was on the bench of the 3rd best league in Yugoslavia and didn't love basketball. Porzingis is playing at a much higher level of competition and has the drive to be the best he can be.

Whether or not that pans it is a different story, but the player's are different and have different drives.

Reaction Score
favorite picks

mudiay to the nugs ( my pick for ROY, he will be the face of the franchise soon)

winslow to the heat

tyus jones to the wolves via cleveland. just wow on that one, clearly an A+ draft for minny.

Reaction Score
Yeah you were right, I looked in to it. Was a little surprised Bilas messed that up

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'm still baffled that Charlotte passed on Winslow to take KAMINSKY?! What a joke, MJ is reliving the Adam Morrison saga all over again. In fact he already has a Kaminsky on his roster, his name is Cody Zeller, hell they even have Spencer Hawes too!

Reaction Score
People ripping on the Porzingas pick are missing the boat, I've waited my whole life for the Knicks to be good so I can wait a couple more years. Who would you prefer them to take at #4? Cauley-Stein, Winslow, Mudiay? The way I look at it, Porzingas has way more upside than any of them. It's the first time I've been happy with a Knicks decision in forever.

Reaction Score
The Celtics have a ton of picks, but those picks actually have to pan out and be low numbers for anyone to care. Obviously trying to pair 16, 28, and a player didn't get us anywhere last night. We need lottery picks. Making the playoffs last year ended up killing us.
I've argued that all along, my friends have disagreed with me though. Miss the playoffs and we are choosing between Turner, Lyles, and Booker. Make the playoffs and... Terry Rozier?

Still pissed Miami got Winslow. He was my favorite prospect in the draft and had Miami slotted just one pick lower they would have had to give up their pick. Instead they get the fourth best prospect (in my eyes) in the draft. Celtics finish 3 games worse and that's them sitting at 10 with Winslow falling into their lap, such a missed opportunity.

Reaction Score
Not a Knicks fan, and the Porzingis pick was bad. You don't pick a project there, because you can't afford to miss. There are much safer picks there, including a guy like Mudiay who still is a super high-ceiling player. Porzingis is not an NBA-level starter right now. Maybe he is later, but maybe he isn't.

The move for Grant was good, but I don't know if he's athletic enough to be a full-time PG in the NBA. We'll see.
Disagree. For a team that needs a lot of help, Porzingis was a great selection. History has shown that the draft is ultimately a crapshoot, so why not take a chance on the guy with the highest upside in the entire draft?

His recorded barefoot height is actually the same as Hasheem Thabeet's. Think about that. He very well may be listed at 7'3" (which seems appropriate if you see the pictures of the players on stage last night). So Porzingis is a mobile, long, sharp-shooting 7'3" PF who projects as a rim protector down the line. There have been very few players ever with his unique combination of height, length, mobility, and versatile offensive game. And he's 19.

I know it's easy to see a skinny European kid and declare him a bust or a project, but I think Porzingis can contribute sooner than people think. At least on offense. He needs to put on weight and improve on defense, sure, but that can be said for most players just entering the league. Kristaps is still just 19, and for reference, Tyson Chandler is just 10 pounds heavier. Porzingis will put on weight in time.

I can understand that it's not ideal to draft a perceived project with Melo on the roster, but with a team that has holes everywhere, I'm glad Phil grabbed the best talent on the board. The Knicks were near the top of the lottery for a reason. Porzingis sounds like a great kid in interviews, always says the right things, speaks English very well, and seems to truly love the game of basketball.

Drafting "safe" is often bad team building. In recent years Derrick Williams, Thomas Robinson, Otto Porter, Evan Turner, and Wes Johnson were all top 5 picks billed as safe. The draft is about acquiring the best talent, and top-level executives from around the league believe in Porzingis. I'll trust them over some booing fans at Barclays.

I'm excited to see this kid play.

Reaction Score
Disagree. For a team that needs a lot of help, Porzingis was a great selection. History has shown that the draft is ultimately a crapshoot, so why not take a chance on the guy with the highest upside in the entire draft?

His recorded barefoot height is actually the same as Hasheem Thabeet's. Think about that. He very well may be listed at 7'3" (which seems appropriate if you see the pictures of the players on stage last night). So Porzingis is a mobile, long, sharp-shooting 7'3" PF who projects as a rim protector down the line. There have been very few players ever with his unique combination of height, length, mobility, and versatile offensive game. And he's 19.

I know it's easy to see a skinny European kid and declare him a bust or a project, but I think Porzingis can contribute sooner than people think. At least on offense. He needs to put on weight and improve on defense, sure, but that can be said for most players just entering the league. Kristaps is still just 19, and for reference, Tyson Chandler is just 10 pounds heavier. Porzingis will put on weight in time.

I can understand that it's not ideal to draft a perceived project with Melo on the roster, but with a team that has holes everywhere, I'm glad Phil grabbed the best talent on the board. The Knicks were near the top of the lottery for a reason. Porzingis sounds like a great kid in interviews, always says the right things, speaks English very well, and seems to truly love the game of basketball.

Drafting "safe" is often bad team building. In recent years Derrick Williams, Thomas Robinson, and Otto Porter were billed as the "safest" picks in their respective drafts. The draft is about acquiring the best talent, and top-level executives from around the league believe in Porzingis. I'll trust them over some booing fans at Barclays.

I'm excited to see this kid play.

Agreed. You draft the best talent and Porzingas was a no brainer for the Knicks, his talent is through the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom