Nation's #1 Recruit Christyn Williams Chooses UConn! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nation's #1 Recruit Christyn Williams Chooses UConn!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Obviously a lot can happen, but based on Geno’s track record developing talent and the players he has coming in, I don’t see any team coming close unless another coach can step up and develop players at the same rate Geno can. And those teams mentioned—none of them have been to a Final Four in a long long time.

Last year it took a miracle to upset UCONN in the semifinals and Connecticut was a 6 man team without a true PG or post player. No one expected Williams or Collier to be as good as they became.

On paper they’re projected to be MUCH better than the 2016-17 team over the next 2-3 years. Unless Walker, Williams, and Dangerfield are all mediocre or injury riddled, I don’t see any teams sticking with UCONN.
Last season was a stunner due to the way UConn was able to go undefeated against such a tough OOC schedule. In the past, the first season after graduating one of our GOAT candidates (Taurasi and Moore) was a definite down year by UConn standards (8 losses in 2004-05 and 5 losses in 2011-12, both against schedules not as rigorous as last year's). And it wasn't just a GOAT that UConn was losing in 2016, but also Tuck and Moriah as well. Williams and Collier had certainly contributed to the 2016 team, but who knew they would be such superstars right away last season.

As strangely as the Mississippi State game played out, I still say that the greater surprise was that UConn went that whole season without a loss up until that point. I believe Geno was sincere when he talked about how surprised he was at their ability to stay undefeated for as long as they did.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Congrats on the big pick-up. I will definitely have to go to the Baylor/UCONN game in Waco next season.
I would hope you were going regardless of today's outcome!

How many McDAAs might be on the court in that game?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
You are a real class act. I'm glad you're on this board.

I hope, at the very least, this will put to bed all the derogatory comments about how A'ja held a press conference and didn't sign her NLOI on a car.

Thank you! I’m pretty bummed, not just by today’s outcome.. but the past few to be honest. I trust in Dawn though. She’ll rebound.

Plebe

Reaction Score
UCONN will have three number 1 recruits and a number 2 recruit. Which other program can make that claim? You guys will really be struggling.
The differences between, say, #1 and #5 do not always prove significant. Taurasi and Moore were both #1 recruits, but so were Ann Strother and Mercedes Russell.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thank you! I’m pretty bummed, not just by today’s outcome.. but the past few to be honest. I trust in Dawn though. She’ll rebound.
I think it's emotionally rough to be among a top recruit's final choices but not win it in the end. (I believe this is the reason so many Boneyarders are so bitter toward A'ja: not just because she's not at UConn, but because she had the audacity to dangle UConn as one of her final 2 choices before choosing elsewhere.)

It reminds me of a couple times when I applied for jobs and went through the interview process only to find out that I ended up as #2 behind the person who got it.

Dawn is a fighter and she's resilient. That is her DNA. She's not going away.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So, looks like I chose an interesting time to get stuck at a NJ Motor Vehicle Department office in Wayne, NJ.
Congrats to all concerned -- Ms. Williams, the team, coaches and staff and all fans, most notably The Boneyarders.

This year, the Irish were out of the countdown early and not one of the cursed "runner-ups." :confused: :rolleyes:
Don't know if that's better or worse, but in the long run, MM and crew will be scheduled against Christyn, Megatron and company.

Next up in the green room: Miss O N-O.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now you have to live with the "UCONN gets all the top talent" tag for a little while longer.
We get a lot of top talent, but we certainly don't get ALL the top talent. Even if we get ONO, our class will be only #3 or so. We missed out on Charli Collier and NaLyssa Smith, among others. We failed to get Chiney, A'ja, and Lauren. Napheesa was about #3 to #6 in her high school class, but was #2 or #3 in the country as a college sophomore. That's player development.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Obviously a lot can happen, but based on Geno’s track record developing talent and the players he has coming in, I don’t see any team coming close unless another coach can step up and develop players at the same rate Geno can. And those teams mentioned—none of them have been to a Final Four in a long long time.

Last year it took a miracle to upset UCONN in the semifinals and Connecticut was a 6 man team without a true PG or post player. No one expected Williams or Collier to be as good as they became.

On paper they’re projected to be MUCH better than the 2016-17 team over the next 2-3 years. Unless Walker, Williams, and Dangerfield are all mediocre or injury riddled, I don’t see any teams sticking with UCONN.
I sure hope no player on any team is beset by injuries, but I'm certain that Dangerfield and Walker won't be mediocre, not even this year. Some folks thought that Christyn was as good as Meg last year. I don't see much of a chance of mediocrity in her either. I think we will be dominant, but there may be some losses sprinkled in. We'll see. In fact, we'll know more in 48 hours.

Reaction Score

I am one Huskie Fan who would like to see the Lady Vols come back to the top of the mountain! A t one point the only rivalry better than Uconn- Tennessee in all of College Basketball was Duke-North Carolina Men according to ESPN!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd say , as she said, that she really felt at home at UConn. How else to explain how she told Geno of the decision. "Coach I have some real bad news .... you have to put up with me for the next 4 years." Kid's got a sense of humor and spunk for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom