Nahiem Alleyne announcing on Thursday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nahiem Alleyne announcing on Thursday

Reaction Score
Guards #3, 4, and 5 didn’t even play any minutes. You cannot have 3-4 backup guards on the bench who all expect big minutes. If Castle reclasses we are pretty much out of minutes with him and Alleyne coming off the bench. We want our top options to play as much as possible. I don’t want to give backup guard #4 minutes because that means less minutes for our best players.
We always used to have multiple guards. Older ones, younger ones. Then you get hit by an injury and you're up the creek at that position. You need multiple guards more than you need multiple big men. I do subscribe to the idea you need 4 guards, if not 5.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We always used to have multiple guards. Older ones, younger ones. Then you get hit by an injury and you're up the creek at that position. You need multiple guards more than you need multiple big men. I do subscribe to the idea you need 4 guards, if not 5.
Sure. Most UConn teams had 4, not counting walk ons. And, some of them had guys who were forwards with advanced ball handling skills as well. That matters.

So: Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne, Castle. That's 4. Plus Jackson, who can certainly play as a guard. 5. I can see adding a developmental guy for injury depth, but it would be a role like Sool had last year.

Reaction Score
NA would be/is a valuable piece to the puzzle. DH/staff starting to close on a stable of guards who are two -players that can shoot and share/handle the ball. TN is going to rack up the assists with the guys/shooters he'll be surrounded by. Looking for good news today.

SC reclass is still a wild card to next year. Guess you keep recruiting to open roster spots until/or if he lets us know.

Get Rudi/Ramey on campus to meet the guys that are going to get them some run in next year's Tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've heard once Alleyne commits today we will still be going after Rudi Williams from Coastal . He would be an awesome piece to have come off the bench
Any update with Castle that you know of?

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe it at this point. We're 3 years in and he hasn't played a single meaningful minute--even when we had major PT crunches because of injury.
I think it all depends on how DC adjusts. I don't think Samson is a 5/backup 5, so Springs could get some mins, especially if we're in foul trouble. I think he's worth a look.

Reaction Score
With 3 visits already planned and the expected Alleyne commitment I would be surprised if Williams ever makes his visit here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ramey isn't coming.. I expect Alleyne to commit today, the final piece will be a developmental kid, wing I would hope.. Perhaps an under the radar 6'7'-6'8" springy kid with upside.

If the Castle reclass happens that's even better..

I think after today the main pieces of the roster will be in place, then the fun begins.

Would love to have a straight up sniper on the roster. Any height. Just someone who defenses absolutely cannot leave unattended.

Reaction Score
I've heard once Alleyne commits today we will still be going after Rudi Williams from Coastal . He would be an awesome piece to have come off the bench
Is that in addition to Castle reclassing too? What's the plan here, to limit Newton, Hawkins, and Jacksons minutes to 20 MPG and have Rudi/Alleyne/Castle play the other 20? I just can't see that happening unless Rudi and Castle are 10 MPG guys (and neither of them will sign up for that)

Reaction Score
Is that in addition to Castle reclassing too? What's the plan here, to limit Newton, Hawkins, and Jacksons minutes to 20 MPG and have Rudi/Alleyne/Castle play the other 20? I just can't see that happening unless Rudi and Castle are 10 MPG guys (and neither of them will sign up for that)
Yes last heard is Castle is heavily leaning towards a reclass. The plan is to acquire talent and have players compete for playing time. The staff is trying to avoid the lack of playable guards debacle we were in last year at all costs. Rudi would be a small piece off the bench but I'd expect Newton/Hawk/Alleyne/Castle (if reclass) will be our core guard rotation.

Reaction Score
You’re not convincing a very good player like a Newton or Alleyne to come here and ride the bench to play only 5 MPG. The quality of depth we get will be developmental guys who are fine with sitting. You think we’re gonna run a rotation of 12 guys?? Good luck with that.

The rotation will be set in stone if Castle reclasses

G: Newton/Alleyne/Castle/Hawkins/Jackson
F: Sanogo/Karaban/Johnson/Clingan

That’s 100% of the minutes
Nope I didn't say that. I was just stating there would be more adds to the roster and at least 2 more guards(Castle and another who could be developmental) but who could get minutes. I think we will be playing more small ball with many guards needed this year. Either way 2 more guards after Alleyne(One which might not play much) and another forward/center. I think we will have 12 player roster this year.

Reaction Score
Nope I didn't say that. I was just stating there would be more adds to the roster and at least 2 more guards(Castle and another who could be developmental) but who could get minutes. I think we will be playing more small ball with many guards needed this year. Either way 2 more guards after Alleyne(One which might not play much) and another forward/center. I think we will have 12 player roster this year.
Agreed. People that think we’d be done after Alleyne and a Castle reclass…you really think we’d go into next season with only 10 scholarship players? You don’t want to rely on walk ons in practice to go a full 5 v 5 if someone gets banged up. Need at least one more guy, preferably 2. And as good as we think Castle will be, I really don’t want to go into next season with him as our only backup PG. Still think we need to try to grab Ramy or Williams, and then we can use the last spot on maybe an under the radar wing type.

Reaction Score
Agreed. People that think we’d be done after Alleyne and a Castle reclass…you really think we’d go into next season with only 10 scholarship players? You don’t want to rely on walk ons in practice to go a full 5 v 5 if someone gets banged up. Need at least one more guy, preferably 2. And as good as we think Castle will be, I really don’t want to go into next season with him as our only backup PG. Still think we need to try to grab Ramy or Williams, and then we can use the last spot on maybe an under the radar wing type.
I think the spot to add to a roster like this is a 2022 combo guard/forward that slots into that 3/4 slot for 5 min, max. I really don't see anyone at all coming into the roster below outside of this group getting real minutes, we're 2 deep at each spot and Hurley has shown he wants a tight bench when it comes to league play
PG: Newton, Castle
SG: Hawkins, Alleyne
SF: Jackson, Karaban
PF: Johnson, Springs
C: Sanogo, Clingan

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perhaps an under the radar 6'7'-6'8" springy kid with upside.
1650550306486.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think the spot to add to a roster like this is a 2022 combo guard/forward that slots into that 3/4 slot for 5 min, max. I really don't see anyone at all coming into the roster below outside of this group getting real minutes, we're 2 deep at each spot and Hurley has shown he wants a tight bench when it comes to league play
I’m not sure how much time Springs and Clingan sees but I can see us bringing in one more ball handler. Really can’t have too many of those and I don’t know if Alleyne would be considered another one per say. Here we’d have Newton, Castle, and Jackson as legitimate ball handlers. Might need one more that doesn’t mind being in a Pat Beverly, Terrence Samuels role.

Need Johnson and Springs to have big summers to backup Sanogo and possibly play next to him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Done? No. Done adding guys who expect to play more than 10 minutes a game? Yes.
Ramey is in the draft process, he will be a late decider. As for Williams, here's a quote:
“Pretty much I'm just looking for a perfect fit,” he said. “It's my last year of college so I want to go to a school where I can be an impact guy right away, have a huge contribution to a winning team, make March Madness, and set myself up to be a professional after. That's why making the jump to a higher level makes sense.”
He's got interest from a lot of P5 schools. I'd be surprised if he chooses UConn.

The risk for UConn is relying on a Castle reclass, which likely won't be confirmed until summer.

Reaction Score
Done? No. Done adding guys who expect to play more than 10 minutes a game? Yes.
Ramey is in the draft process, he will be a late decider. As for Williams, here's a quote:

He's got interest from a lot of P5 schools. I'd be surprised if he chooses UConn.

The risk for UConn is relying on a Castle reclass, which likely won't be confirmed until summer.
Not saying you...but there have been plenty of people on the BY over the last few days claiming the roster would be complete with an Alleyne commitment and Castle reclass.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I expect Jackson to move to the small ball 4 and us to start 3 guards. Hurley all in on 4 out.

Reaction Score
Yes last heard is Castle is heavily leaning towards a reclass. The plan is to acquire talent and have players compete for playing time. The staff is trying to avoid the lack of playable guards debacle we were in last year at all costs. Rudi would be a small piece off the bench but I'd expect Newton/Hawk/Alleyne/Castle (if reclass) will be our core guard rotation.

While his time may be limited in certain games, a guy like Williams would be a huge piece if he can throw in at 45% even if only 12-18 minutes a game. I mean none of the others shoot it as good as he does, so he would be part of the reason teams would need to stop the double and triple teams on Sanogo. Problem is does he accept that role as good of a player as he is?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This would be an embarrassment of riches if the staff can pull it off. Would be our best backcourt in almost a decade.

Not to mention hilarious egg on the face for the posters who wanted to see Diggins and Gaffney getting the bulk guard minutes next year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Hurley all in on 4 out.'
danny sez a lot of things.
i used to pay attention.
this one is a bricklayer, tho mebbe he has character. idk.
rj had character and grit. tymart also. rj also had all be 1st team cred too.
iffn u could just go to the store, and buy a player like cole, everrbuddy would do it.

and when everbuddy is done jibberjabbing aboot this portal stuff, im still waiting to hear why wasn't davis (mr wonderful) our top portal effort?
i mean, considering all things, his choice of us would have been, far and away and not even close, the purrfect result to this situation.
not even close.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom