Naheim Alleyne to St. John's | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Naheim Alleyne to St. John's

Reaction Score
This isn't vitriol. This post clearly wasn't 100% serious. Saying I have to wait another 12 months to route for him is unkind? Lmfaoo. Some of us just don't want to play against a UConn champion twice a season. We don't like the move BECAUSE we like Nahiem. It's a simple concept. Vitriol is cruel and bitter criticism. I've seen none of that.

I guess was Tristen Newton said was unkind as well? LOL
And what did you do to signal that you were clearly not serious?? Guess I missed it in your post, because I saw nothing. Are we to assume that you aren't serious, just tongue-in-cheek as you say? Please!

As for Triston, he's looking forward to playing against Naheim, like a good friend would, that's how I read that. Unkind thoughts from TN? ...would never be a thought.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Come on Nelson, we just won the national championship and you already are looking to complain.

Come on ucp990411, we just won the national championship and you are already making excuses for a bad loss that the team hasn't actually had yet.

Reaction Score
And what did you do to signal that you were clearly not serious?? Guess I missed it in your post, because I saw nothing. Are we to assume that you aren't serious, just tongue-in-cheek as you say? Please!

As for Triston, he's looking forward to playing against Naheim, like a good friend would, that's how I read that. Unkind thoughts from TN? ...would never be a thought.
“Suspending” your fandom or support for 12 months was serious to you? You need to get off of the internet for a little if you consider that “mean” or “unkind”.

Reaction Score
Come on ucp990411, we just won the national championship and you are already making excuses for a bad loss that the team hasn't actually had yet.
No excuses but we may have at least one “bad loss “ next year. It happens.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Let's compare your reactions. Take a look your words above, " I have seen nothing but kind words" and then those below from your initial reaction. There's no sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek expressions in there. It's clear below that those were NOT kind words!
You’re pointing out a very small minority of posters. The vast majority of people in this thread understand why he did what he did and are happy he landed in a good situation.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
“Suspending” your fandom or support for 12 months was serious to you? You need to get off of the internet for a little if you consider that “mean” or “unkind”.
You’re pointing out a very small minority of posters. The vast majority of people in this thread understand why he did what he did and are happy he landed in a good situation.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I wish him well even though I don’t really like where he’s going but whatever, it’s his career. Young guy in NYC, there are worse places to be.

He was a major asset in the tourney and our quest for #5 so for that alone, I’m not going to rag on him too much. Although if he drops 30 on us next season in the Big East finals, he’s dead to me. Lol

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Let's compare your reactions. Take a look your words above, " I have seen nothing but kind words" and then those below from your initial reaction. There's no sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek expressions in there. It's clear below that those were NOT kind words!
That was literally one post in what is now a 6-page thread. And, as the poster explained, it’s hardly “vitriol.”

It was a silly comment for you to make.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I feel it basically boiled down to PT. He didn't feel he got enough this season and needed another fresh start. It's weird that he is going to a conference foe but this screwed up Portal allows it. I really don't like the portal as a permanent fixture but in hindsight it helped UConn get some great plug ins while it did water down the product to some degree across the NCAA board. I wish him the best .

Reaction Score
Come on ucp990411, we just won the national championship and you are already making excuses for a bad loss that the team hasn't actually had ye
And we expect to see a “the seat is warm” post in the near future if there is a bad loss.... ridiculous

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
St. Johns sucks now. If UConn loses to St. Johns next year, we should look within.
Wow, puffery beyond the most extreme of levels, even for you.

I believe that it won't be much of a stretch to expect St John's to be a better team in 23-24 than they were in 22-23. Coaching alone should cause a large improvement.

I also am pretty confident that we were able to overcome a loss to th bad 22-23 version of St John's and still have a successful season (if you believe I am wrong here please support your belief).

I'm not sure what you believe you are gaining by projecting a loss in a game that won't be played until next January and I really don't see a benefit to assigning a loss to that game and then applying advance criticism to the staff/players for this (hypothetical) loss but it appears that you are placing far too much importance in the outcome of this one game.

Reaction Score
Wow, puffery beyond the most extreme of levels, even for you.

I believe that it won't be much of a stretch to expect St John's to be a better team in 23-24 than they were in 22-23. Coaching alone should cause a large improvement.

I also am pretty confident that we were able to overcome a loss to th bad 22-23 version of St John's and still have a successful season (if you believe I am wrong here please support your belief).

I'm not sure what you believe you are gaining by projecting a loss in a game that won't be played until next January and I really don't see a benefit to assigning a loss to that game and then applying advance criticism to the staff/players for this (hypothetical) loss but it appears that you are placing far too much importance in the outcome of this one game.
It’s just starting early. They normally wait until our first loss to overreact

Reaction Score
There are two general reasons for leaving a program:

1. You don't want to play at the school anymore
2. You can't play at the school anymore

With the already crowded roster, 2023 freshman talent coming in, and the fact UConn is sitting on top of the CBB mountain - I firmly believe anyone entering the transfer portal from UConn is in the second category.

So it's a good move for him, UConn and the Big East.

Reaction Score
100% happy for Alleyne. Hope he finds pt and professional opportunities in years to come. I'm also curious what Rick gets out of him. Obviously Alleyne played great for us in some big games. In particular NCAA games. But he definitely struggled to find PT at times as well. It would be an interesting comparison. What does Rick get out of Alleyne vs what did DH get out of him. Seems like a potentially heated conversation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There are two general reasons for leaving a program:

1. You don't want to play at the school anymore
2. You can't play at the school anymore

With the already crowded roster, 2023 freshman talent coming in, and the fact UConn is sitting on top of the CBB mountain - I firmly believe anyone entering the transfer portal from UConn is in the second category.

So it's a good move for him, UConn and the Big East.
Sort of. There’s also a quote you can play at the school, but want a larger role”. That’s where I think Nahiem is.

Reaction Score
When a player announces an intention to transfer I would assume he needs to finish his studies at the school he is leaving. Would he be allowed to work out in those facilities? Seems like it could result in tension with returning players resulting in an uncomfortable environment. Your thoughts?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Weird choice. I guess he doesn't really have loyalty to UCONN going to an arch-rival. Does he really think he will start for St. John's when that roster is completed? Maybe Pitino knows this will be a bridge year for him and won't really have his team until the following year. It does feel like a back stab. Weird times in college basketball.
This post is what the "dislike" button was designed for and with all due respect, I couldn't disagree with it more.

Fans, particularly those of college athletics, have a tendency to forget that these players are real people too. Loyalty to UConn? Where were the collective cries of broken loyalty to Virginia Tech during his 1st foray with the Transfer Portal? He played a single season off the bench in Storrs after starting for the better part of three years in Blacksburg, AND was a significant contributor to winning a National Championship.

Alleyne earned his ring and is looking for a showcase. St. Johns has a handful of scholarship players on their roster. Of course they offer an opportunity to start. We should recognize that, as fans, now is the time to be gracious toward him in whatever pursuits lay ahead (presumably to make a living playing basketball).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This post is what the "dislike" button was designed for and with all due respect, I couldn't disagree with it more.

Fans, particularly those of college athletics, have a tendency to forget that these players are real people too. Loyalty to UConn? Where were the collective cries of broken loyalty to Virginia Tech during his 1st foray with the Transfer Portal? He played a single season off the bench in Storrs after starting for the better part of three years in Blacksburg, AND was a significant contributor to winning a National Championship.

Alleyne earned his ring and is looking for a showcase. St. Johns has a handful of scholarship players on their roster. Of course they offer an opportunity to start. We should recognize that, as fans, now is the time to be gracious toward him in whatever pursuits lay ahead (presumably to make a living playing basketball).
You didn't get the memo that these kids are our entertainment serfs. Weak is the fealty in you!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah I do but he definitely is limited offensively and not a great 3 point shooter but he does play great d. Either way it hurts he is playing for St. John's. why can't these kids go to a different confrernece.
Including the 30.5% from range that Alleyne shot helping UConn win a National Title, he is 37% for his college career from 3.

Reaction Score
Including the 30.5% from range that Alleyne shot helping UConn win a National Title, he is 37% for his college career from 3.
I'm just going from what he has done lately. He wasn't a good 3 pt shooter for us but definitely could score in the mid-range. Good solid bench player or lower tier team than UCONN starter which I guess is what St. John's is. I guess I was thinking Pitino was going to bring in the best of the best transfers but I guess that is hard to do even for him in rebuild year one. I would guess Rick has promised him to start for the Red Storm. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense since he would play big minutes next year off the bench for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
100% happy for Alleyne. Hope he finds pt and professional opportunities in years to come. I'm also curious what Rick gets out of him. Obviously Alleyne played great for us in some big games. In particular NCAA games. But he definitely struggled to find PT at times as well. It would be an interesting comparison. What does Rick get out of Alleyne vs what did DH get out of him. Seems like a potentially heated conversation.
I think Pitino gets senior leadership and a high character guy. Someone who knows what it take to to be a champion. Happy for Nahiem, hope he kills it there!

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm just going from what he has done lately. He wasn't a good 3 pt shooter for us but definitely could score in the mid-range. Good solid bench player or lower tier team than UCONN starter which I guess is what St. John's is. I guess I was thinking Pitino was going to bring in the best of the best transfers but I guess that is hard to do even for him in rebuild year one.
Me too. He won a national title. Off the bench after starting for three years. At UConn. That the program probably doesn't win without him. Shooting nearly 9% less from range and playing 8 minutes less per game.

Alleyne was 62/166 (>37%) from 3 on a Virginia Tech team that won 23 games in '21-'22, and beat two Final Four teams on their way to the ACC Tournament Championship and NCAA Tournament. He shot nearly 39% over 3 seasons from distance at VT.

Perhaps his UConn year was the outlier?

Incidentally, as a quick and dirty comparison, Jordan Hawkins shot 37.6% from behind the arc in his two years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since when have we started viewing St Johns as rivals? They've been irrelevant all my life.
Some of us Remember the Louie days they were tough .
I remember there was a real fist fight between our mascots.right below us in Hartford very intense. They were the Redmen back in the day thier mascot was dressed as such.
They were also our first opponent at Gampel when it opened late 1990
Even the Ron Artest ( aka Meta world peace) team1998-99 was our first NC biggest. Rival .
I believe they were FF that years and
their last Big East tourney title was 2000. . But they’ve had some great players and coaches through the years . . Whether Rick can bring them glory who knows but a few years ago UConn was considered dead .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom