My sources | Page 4 | The Boneyard

My sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh yes, quite much thank you.

What does FSU think of BCU's take? Or do they have buyer's remorse re:BCU and don't want to let another potential welfare case like them in again?
I'll bet FSU doesn't give a hoot about BCUs take. This was an excercise in vote counting with a bit of muscle flexing by FSU. Oh yes they almost certainly have buyers remorse. Doesn't everyone who buys a lemon?

Reaction Score
I've said this in other places: never underestimate how much university presidents overestimate the value of BC (if that makes sense). They are transfixed by the Boston market (a place where many of them were educated at some point) and believe that BC brings *enough* traction in that market that they're thought of as a valuable piece. I don't think that anyone thinks of BC as a headliner or as a team that is ever going to be bigger than the Red Sox/Pats/Celtics/Bruins, but they are a solid "depth" school (excellent academics and location) that brings value to the league even when they're a bottom feeder (unlike, say, Iowa State or Washington State).

For the ACC (and I say this as someone that was convinced that UConn was going to go to the ACC instead of Louisville when Maryland defected), looking at it from the outside, I think it was MUCH more about FSU and other football schools pushing for more perceived football quality than anything about BC. BC might have had an objection to UConn, but honestly, I can't blame them from an unbiased perspective any more than Villanova keeping Temple out of the Big East for years, Florida not letting FSU into the SEC, or all of the Big Ten schools protecting their own markets. Having that conference advantage has shown to be more important to schools over and over and over again than creating a regional rival (especially in this era where TV markets and contracts are so important). The "it's better to create a regional rivalry" argument is always one that's advanced by the school that's left out and is then freely ignored by the school in the better position. I can understand the specific animosity toward BC from the people on this board, yet they're not really taking a different stance than Ohio State is with Cincinnati, Penn State is with Pitt, Florida is with FSU, etc.

Regardless, the ACC invite to Louisville seemed to be more about timing than anything. 1 year ago, Louisville likely would have never been considered, but I truly believe that the defection of Maryland was a complete shock to Jim Swofford (who despite what some people might say here, is VERY smart regarding overall college sports landscape) and that perceived football quality had to come as priority #1 in expansion (and it's not as if though Louisville has a shabby basketball program, either). That concern trumped everything else.

Not buying your post one little bit. You seem to be unaware that RODEO! for heaven's sake outdraws BC football in Boston! Rodeo on frickin' ESPN2! It's not just that they can't compete with the Patriots. They can't compete with rodeo. Anyone who has lived in Boston and knows the sports scene realizes that BC is the least favorite school of the 3 Boston schools that play hockey. BU and N'eastern have more sway precisely because more people from the Boston area attend those institutions.

Did you read the ACC's reaction to BC blackballing UConn? Duke and UNC ridiculed the idea, they were flabbergasted and perplexed. After all, there are 4 UNC schools within less than 100 miles of one another in the conference. Practically everyone has a neighbor in the ACC. We know that BC has always been afraid of UConn (and they pointed that out early on when UConn went D1), but BC is the same school that lost 27 times in a row to UConn bball, and whose football has fallen off drastically. Much more than UConn. Perceived value?

Maybe you should look up some stats on UConn football. Last several years, they've beaten Louisville more times than they've lost to them (including this year). In fact, when you look at the three schools that just joined the ACC (Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt) UConn has a winning record against them overall since joining the Big East football side. Talent wise, UConn puts more in the NFL even. 4 kids in the Senior Bowl and NFL combine this season. What metrics are people using? Wins, talent, etc. Those don't count?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Frank referenced 'perceived' football quality and there is no question that Louisville trumps UConn in that regard.

Re-read Frank's post. I think you're arguing points he really didn't make.

Reaction Score
Not buying your post one little bit. You seem to be unaware that RODEO! for heaven's sake outdraws BC football in Boston! Rodeo on frickin' ESPN2! It's not just that they can't compete with the Patriots. They can't compete with rodeo. Anyone who has lived in Boston and knows the sports scene realizes that BC is the least favorite school of the 3 Boston schools that play hockey. BU and N'eastern have more sway precisely because more people from the Boston area attend those institutions.

Did you read the ACC's reaction to BC blackballing UConn? Duke and UNC ridiculed the idea, they were flabbergasted and perplexed. After all, there are 4 UNC schools within less than 100 miles of one another in the conference. Practically everyone has a neighbor in the ACC. We know that BC has always been afraid of UConn (and they pointed that out early on when UConn went D1), but BC is the same school that lost 27 times in a row to UConn bball, and whose football has fallen off drastically. Much more than UConn. Perceived value?

Maybe you should look up some stats on UConn football. Last several years, they've beaten Louisville more times than they've lost to them (including this year). In fact, when you look at the three schools that just joined the ACC (Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt) UConn has a winning record against them overall since joining the Big East football side. Talent wise, UConn puts more in the NFL even. 4 kids in the Senior Bowl and NFL combine this season. What metrics are people using? Wins, talent, etc. Those don't count?

You don't need to convince me of those things, but as I said in the first sentence of my post: fans underestimate how much university presidents OVERESTIMATE the value of BC. I'm not saying that I personally believe that BC is worth it, but university presidents have come to the conclusion that they are. As I've also said, I thought that the ACC was going to add UConn instead of Louisville from the get go. I pointed out on my blog during the ACC expansion talks that the gap between UConn and Louisville football was not nearly as much as the media was making out to be. However, UConn completely got crushed on selling that viewpoint themselves. I even told some UConn people during that week where the ACC was debating between expansion candidates that UConn was COMPLETELY losing the PR battle, the football quality perception gap (regardless of the actual gap in reality) wasn't even close, and UConn needed to change that perception immediately. It never happened. Props need to go to Louisville AD Tom Jurich on that front - he got it done and was relentless in selling that they were the "football" choice even though Louisville is as much of a basketball school as anyone.

Also, I believe that I underestimated how much of a detriment that the relative youth of UConn playing football at the FBS-level was going to be in the process. It might not be fair, but the pre-FBS football history of UConn (or any other school that has only recently upgraded to FBS football) is looked as non-existent by the power conferences, and that's something that can't be resolved with anything other than the passage of time. In essence, it was more advantageous for a school with a long and historically awful history like Rutgers than to have a short period of good rising prospects like UConn.

Look - I feel for you guys. UConn did pretty much everything that it was supposed to do as an athletic department over the past 15 years. If these realignment moves were being made 10 or 15 years from now, UConn wouldn't have been sweating. However, the timing is that massive changes are occurring now, which makes it more tenuous. You essentially have to hope that the ACC gets poached again (and even as a Big Ten guy that would benefit from that happening, I don't think it's anywhere near as likely as the realignment Armageddon people want to make it out to be).

Reaction Score
The state of Connecticut does desire it's football program. Our upside is huge.

Reaction Score
You don't need to convince me of those things, but as I said in the first sentence of my post: fans underestimate how much university presidents OVERESTIMATE the value of BC. I'm not saying that I personally believe that BC is worth it, but university presidents have come to the conclusion that they are. As I've also said, I thought that the ACC was going to add UConn instead of Louisville from the get go. I pointed out on my blog during the ACC expansion talks that the gap between UConn and Louisville football was not nearly as much as the media was making out to be. However, UConn completely got crushed on selling that viewpoint themselves. I even told some UConn people during that week where the ACC was debating between expansion candidates that UConn was COMPLETELY losing the PR battle, the football quality perception gap (regardless of the actual gap in reality) wasn't even close, and UConn needed to change that perception immediately. It never happened. Props need to go to Louisville AD Tom Jurich on that front - he got it done and was relentless in selling that they were the "football" choice even though Louisville is as much of a basketball school as anyone.

Also, I believe that I underestimated how much of a detriment that the relative youth of UConn playing football at the FBS-level was going to be in the process. It might not be fair, but the pre-FBS football history of UConn (or any other school that has only recently upgraded to FBS football) is looked as non-existent by the power conferences, and that's something that can't be resolved with anything other than the passage of time. In essence, it was more advantageous for a school with a long and historically awful history like Rutgers than to have a short period of good rising prospects like UConn.

Look - I feel for you guys. UConn did pretty much everything that it was supposed to do as an athletic department over the past 15 years. If these realignment moves were being made 10 or 15 years from now, UConn wouldn't have been sweating. However, the timing is that massive changes are occurring now, which makes it more tenuous. You essentially have to hope that the ACC gets poached again (and even as a Big Ten guy that would benefit from that happening, I don't think it's anywhere near as likely as the realignment Armageddon people want to make it out to be).

Frank,
You have to understand that some of us disagree with this point that it's a PR battle. Quite the contrary. Many of us have pointed out that this are going on inside the ACC that change the way schools are evaluated. To say our AD didn't point out these things as he made his pitch is to assume that pitches are made publicly and not privately. Many of us look at UConn's loss and realize that several other things should be factored in:

1. Obstructiveness from both BC and Miami for a variety of reasons. BC in particular has been ridiculed for its stance.
2. Internecine power battles within the ACC. For instance, the FSU BOT Prez making half-cocked claims about UNC and Tobacco Road conspiring to deliver Tier 3 football rights to ESPN while at the same time hoarding Tier 3 basketball rights for themselves. In many ways, siding with the southern school (Ville) and its perceive football advantage was a matter of FSU showing whose schlong is longer. I doubt anyone was really invested in Ville (or UConn) for that matter, but in that family battle schools chose sides. Why? Because some schools saw the potential of the conference falling apart if FSU became even more upset as it already was (see BOT Prez's comments). Other schools chose sides because they believed their futures were more commonly linked with UNC (i.e. Virginia, Duke and Wake Forest, etc.). But when the UNC Prez comes out the day after Ville's invite and makes a completely embarrassing and uncalled for comment ("Ville's inclusion had nothing to do with academics") you know that the Ville-UConn contest was more about bitterness and vindictiveness inside the ACC.
3. Others have pointed out that a 3rd element was also in play, strategic positioning. I'm not sold on this too much, but many have pointed out that FSU cock-blocked the B12 by making sure that in the case the B12 became itchy at adding new members, Ville was off the market. UConn, which cannot conceivably join another conference other than the ACC, was left behind because no other conference would have it. Effectively, in case FSU and its preferred coattail hangers-on ever leave the ACC for the B12, the ACC will be saddled with Ville. And this is a good bit of strategy to make sure the road to the B12 isn't obstructed for FSU in the future.

pj

Reaction Score
Frank, I'm just surprised you don't see UConn as a viable B1G candidate. Meets all the stated criteria and brings a large market. Far superior to BC in that regard. You may be right about perceptions but perceptions are re-evaluated after the data is examined, and the B1G is not going to be rushed into a decision the way the ACC was. The ACC acted based on prejudice and perception, the B1G will act on reality.

The reality is between the state of Connecticut and UConn's fanbase in adjoining states that lack public BCS-level athletic programs, and the lack of competition from any major school in either New England or New York, what UConn brings in audience/market terms is comparable to what UVa and UNC bring (bigger states, but they share the state with competing BCS programs including state programs).

I also think that the ACC decision was influenced by several unusual factors: (1) UConn being a tougher and slower contract negotiation, at a time when the ACC wanted to move quickly and they couldn't risk issuing an invitation that UConn might decline or drag out long enough to make the ACC look vulnerable; (2) FSU and other ACC football schools wanting to create bidders for themselves and thus wanting to take away an alternative from the B12; (3) BC wanting to avoid a local competitor. None of those factors would be at play in a B1G decision.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Frank, I'm just surprised you don't see UConn as a viable B1G candidate. Meets all the stated criteria and brings a large market. Far superior to BC in that regard. You may be right about perceptions but perceptions are re-evaluated after the data is examined, and the B1G is not going to be rushed into a decision the way the ACC was.

The reality is between the state of Connecticut and UConn's fanbase in adjoining states that lack public BCS-level athletic programs, and the lack of competition from any major school in either New England or New York, what UConn brings in audience/market terms is comparable to what UVa and UNC bring (bigger states, but they share the state with competing BCS programs including state programs).

I don't know if the B1G will ever consider us "B1G material" or not, but what I can say is if perception (or performance!) mattered more than monetary data, Maryland would still be in the ACC and Rutgers would still be in the Big East...

Reaction Score
I think Frank referenced 'perceived' football quality and there is no question that Louisville trumps UConn in that regard.

Re-read Frank's post. I think you're arguing points he really didn't make.

Here's what I read. I acknowledge that he only believes Presidents value BC more. But then, he references BC's secondary value below that of the pro sports. From living in Boston, and spending many an evening talking to the reporters there at the Dugout, BC's significance is actually far less than its sub-radar existence below pro sports. I also don't think UConn's failure to receive an invite was a simple matter of losing to Ville in terms of perception when it comes to football. I explained why in my post above this one.

pj

Reaction Score
I live in Boston. Just as a matter of brand presence, you see far more UConn shirts, caps, etc than BC. UConn basketball far outdraws BC basketball in Boston. UConn football is probably competitive with BC football in terms of TV ratings.

And the BC brand doesn't extend much beyond Rte 128.

Reaction Score
UConn, which cannot conceivably join another conference other than the ACC, was left behind because no other conference would have it.
Who are you fooling? The Big 10 and Big 12 are thinking about us.

Reaction Score
Quick point in response to frank's comments about the increasing admissions standards at the southern state schools. You left out a key point. Admissions at all state university's are skyrocketing and it is in large part due to the ridiculous price of college right now and the state of our economy. UConn has benefited from this as well. UConn is way harder to get into now then it was 5-7 years ago. People know that they don't want to waste their money on a crappy private school that costs $40,000/yr when their state school is half of that.

Regarding BC...who blames them for hating UConn at this point. UConn led the charge in suing them and the ACC when they left (albeit surreptitiously). I don't think BC has the pull to be able to keep UConn out of the ACC if others were enthusiastic about UConn joining. People here are poopooing BC's athletic program but they are half the size of UConn and have had a Division 1 football program for years and years whereas UConn is just recently getting involved. BC's reputation has been skyrocketing over the past 10 years or so. Presidents value the school because its academics are excellent and they spend a ton of money on their sports programs.

Say what you want about BC...but they have out maneuvered UConn at every stage of conference realignment. They have positioned themselves very well whereas UConn has positioned themselves horribly.

Edit: Forgot to mention Hockey. I remember HFD and I discussed this a bit maybe a month ago, but BC brings with it the #1 hockey program in the country. This isn't determinative...but it definitely helps when it comes to B1G.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about BC...but they have out maneuvered UConn at every stage of conference realignment. They have positioned themselves very well whereas UConn has positioned themselves horribly.

BC began playing football at a higher level than UCONN about a million years ago and in the 80s lucked out with Flutie. That's not a strategy, that's history and luck. In recent developments they've managed to take two relatively successful athletic programs and run them so far into the ground that they may melt at the earth's core.

Reaction Score
BC began playing football at a higher level than UCONN about a million years ago and in the 80s lucked out with Flutie. That's not a strategy, that's history and luck. In recent developments they've managed to take two relatively successful athletic programs and run them so far into the ground that they may melt at the earth's core.

Back in 2003 the ACC originally wanted Miami, BC and Syracuse. The presidents only approved Miami and surprisingly added VTech. BC didn't just sit idly and accept it, they went back and lobbied for inclusion and eventually got it. It was a smart move by them because they are now in a better place because of it. The fact that UConn at the time didn't have the same options doesn't mean that BC hasn't out maneuvered them.

It sucks and I hate it.

Reaction Score
Frank, I'm just surprised you don't see UConn as a viable B1G candidate. Meets all the stated criteria and brings a large market. Far superior to BC in that regard. You may be right about perceptions but perceptions are re-evaluated after the data is examined, and the B1G is not going to be rushed into a decision the way the ACC was. The ACC acted based on prejudice and perception, the B1G will act on reality.

I also think that the ACC decision was influenced by several unusual factors: (1) UConn being a tougher and slower contract negotiation, at a time when the ACC wanted to move quickly and they couldn't risk issuing an invitation that UConn might decline or drag out long enough to make the ACC look vulnerable; (2) FSU and other ACC football schools wanting to create bidders for themselves and thus wanting to take away an alternative from the B12; (3) BC wanting to avoid a local competitor. None of those factors would be at play in a B1G decision.

Let's put it this way: if the Big Ten supposedly has the power to poach UVA from the ACC (and I'll be the first one to tell you that I'm skeptical of that occurring), then it will likely have the power to poach schools such as Georgia Tech and Florida State. (UNC is a bit a different animal.) Those schools alone are going to be higher on the pecking order than UConn. Now, UConn has a lot of positive attributes that would be attractive to the Big Ten in a vacuum. It's just that UConn has to be graded in comparison with the other expansion candidates that the Big Ten wants (and is probably willing to wait for). UConn has a good population base, but it's not as large compared to UVA, UNC, GT or FSU. UConn has good academics, but it's not an AAU member like UVA, UNC or GT. UConn has good TV value, but not nearly the same as the other non-AAU member that could be considered (FSU). UConn has good sports, but it's not at the level of UNC basketball or FSU football.

So, UConn might be #6 on the Big Ten's list after those 4 schools and Notre Dame. That means that UConn definitely has value, but there are only 2 or 4 spots available depending upon who you talk to. It's similar to the ACC situation: UConn was the #2 choice, but there was only 1 spot available.

Reaction Score
Quick point in response to frank's comments about the increasing admissions standards at the southern state schools. You left out a key point. Admissions at all state university's are skyrocketing and it is in large part due to the ridiculous price of college right now and the state of our economy. UConn has benefited from this as well. UConn is way harder to get into now then it was 5-7 years ago. People know that they don't want to waste their money on a crappy private school that costs $40,000/yr when their state school is half of that.

Regarding BC...who blames them for hating UConn at this point. UConn led the charge in suing them and the ACC when they left (albeit surreptitiously). I don't think BC has the pull to be able to keep UConn out of the ACC if others were enthusiastic about UConn joining. People here are poopooing BC's athletic program but they are half the size of UConn and have had a Division 1 football program for years and years whereas UConn is just recently getting involved. BC's reputation has been skyrocketing over the past 10 years or so. Presidents value the school because its academics are excellent and they spend a ton of money on their sports programs.

Edit: Forgot to mention Hockey. I remember HFD and I discussed this a bit maybe a month ago, but BC brings with it the #1 hockey program in the country. This isn't determinative...but it definitely helps when it comes to B1G.

When it comes to the south, where there are fewer excellent private schools, this isn't driven by the rise in private school tuition (in fact, with scholarships, many people might find private schools to be cheaper in some states, like PA. or MI.). It's more driven by demographics. There are more college age kids applying for school because the net population is growing, but schools are not enlarging classes.

Does BC hate Syracuse too? Because Syracuse ripped Leahy to shreds with invective. And Pitt was in on the suit. as for whether BC has pull, what of the multiple reports (not one, but more than one) about Duke and UNC being flabbergasted in this go round? Or Gene Flipper 2 years ago making claims in the Boston Globe about blackballing UConn in committee (you don't need to do it in the final vote, you just do it in committee, then everyone thinks twice about supporting the blackballed school because in collegial committees, you don't go against a very strong stand for fear that eventually that person will vote against one of your strong positions).

I remain unimpressed by BC sports. And I think the person in the BC ADs office who spoke to Bob Ryan was right, "UConn will overtake BC in sports."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Frank you have to understand that The Boneyard is able to bash BC for not wanting UConn as a local rival while at the same time building a case to keep UMass down.

Reaction Score
Frank you have to understand that The Boneyard is able to bash BC for not wanting UConn as a local rival while at the same time building a case to keep UMass down.

You really think UConn would blackball UMass? Really, if UMass were on par with UConn and wanted to join the BE, you think UConn would blackball them? I don't.

I can totally understand why Duke and UNC are flabbergasted.

Reaction Score
So you're arguing that BC hasn't out maneuvered UConn but are claiming that they were able to use their influence to block UConn from being invited to the ACC.

I don't doubt that UConn eventually passes BC in all sports. As a UConn fan I hope they do but they have done a poor job compared to BC in securing the future prosperity of their athletic programs.

I just find it incredibly interesting that BC has been able to exert such influence in this process despite their lack of value. That has to do with leadership, which has been lacking at UConn.

Reaction Score
So you're arguing that BC hasn't out maneuvered UConn

I argued the opposite. I argued they used their position in the ACC to blackball UConn.

but are claiming that they were able to use their influence to block UConn from being invited to the ACC.

The BC AD claimed this. Then we read reports two years later from UNC and Duke that they were flabbergasted by BC's position.

I don't doubt that UConn eventually passes BC in all sports. As a UConn fan I hope they do but they have done a poor job compared to BC in securing the future prosperity of their athletic programs.

I just find it incredibly interesting that BC has been able to exert such influence in this process despite their lack of value. That has to do with leadership, which has been lacking at UConn.

It has to do with their position in the ACC!

Reaction Score
Speaking as a Big Ten guy, FSU is effectively on the same tier as Nebraska academically (only FSU has never had AAU status) along with AAU schools such as Missouri, Kansas and Iowa State (who are in the AAU more for historical legacy purposes as opposed to based on their academic output today). As a result, FSU might be a bit of an academic stretch on paper, but not so much of a stretch when it has a similarly situated institution as a member in a state with about 1/10th of the population.

More importantly, Jim Delany has said one word with respect to expansion more than any other (more than "football", more than "academics", more than "television"): DEMOGRAPHICS. Look back at his quotes over the years and he has said that particular word over and over and over again. He doesn't just mean TV markets - what he's referring to is getting into areas where the most population growth is occurring. The Big Ten wants this not just for sports, but for recruiting "normal" college students in the future as the growth in the Midwest slows. Well, if you look at where a disproportionate amount of the population growth in the US is occurring, outside of the state of Texas, it's occurring in the Washington, DC region south through North Carolina, down to Atlanta and all through Florida. Hmmmm... look at list #1 in the OP's post.

The upshot is that Florida State, more than any single school that the Big Ten could realistically add (e.g. not counting Texas from the Big 12, Florida from the SEC, or USC/UCLA from the Pac-12), is a complete game changer on the demographics front. It's the move that adds the largest population base. It's the move that adds the most money for the Big Ten's national TV contracts. It's the move that adds the most money for the market-based model of the BTN. It's the move that adds the most for football on-the-field. It's the move that adds the state that's the single biggest home of Big Ten alums that's outside of the Midwest.

Anyone that is thinking that the Big Ten is just going to automatically pass up FSU on academic grounds is foolish (and if they're going to pass up FSU on academic grounds, then they're going to pass up UConn on academic grounds because that really does mean that AAU membership is the Big Ten's be-all end-all for anyone not named Notre Dame). Look at how Florida is growing and the way that the acceptance standards to both Florida and FSU are getting tougher and tougher in connection with that population growth. The academic reputation of Texas A&M was "meh" 20 years ago, but the in-state population explosion has turned its admissions standards completely around and it gained AAU status in the past decade. Once again, people should pay very close attention to list #1 in the OP's post. Assuming that Notre Dame continues to rebuff the Big Ten, the next 4 schools form a contiguous footprint (with 3 of those schools already being elite academic institutions) that makes the most sense in terms of demographics, TV money and actual football on-the-field in every way.

Now, that doesn't mean that the Big Ten will pull this off. Even as a Big Ten guy, I'm very skeptical of the ability for the conference to take UNC or even UVA (which then makes taking Georgia Tech and/or FSU more difficult geographically). However, do I believe that the OP's list #1 is exactly what the Big Ten would want to do assuming that the University of Texas is off the table? Absolutely.

Frank, you're a welcome and informed guest poster who's provided insight without being preachy or haughty.

Here are my questions. How do you think Delany would respond if Slive/SEC released a statement (or leaked a rumor) to the effect that, if the B1G wanted to explore options on the South Atlantic coast, perhaps the SEC needed to look at the North Atlantic coast? Would Delany continue course or shift gears? Put any NC/GA/FL plans on hold while looking to shore up his recent northeast additions? If a battle were to be joined with the B1G fielding Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech and Florida State while the SEC fielded BC, UConn, Temple, VaTech, NC State, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, who would likely dominate the Atlantic coast in 5 to 10 years? Do you think Delany would fight that battle?

Reaction Score
I live in Boston. Just as a matter of brand presence, you see far more UConn shirts, caps, etc than BC. UConn basketball far outdraws BC basketball in Boston. UConn football is probably competitive with BC football in terms of TV ratings.

And the BC brand doesn't extend much beyond Rte 128.
Uconn outdraws everyone in NYC. Uconn outdraws BC in Boston. Yet Uconn remains in the BE. Someone, somewhere show me the ratings that proves all of this. Because if it is true, then we are talking about the whole world being real stupid. Or maybe, just maybe, some people with access to ratings and who is watching what knows that this is not so. You know, like conference heads, TV networks. Maybe some of these schools outdraw Uconn on a national basis and maybe that is more important than anhyone on here considers.

Sorry but reality tells me that just because people on this board say stuff, like rodeo outdraws BC football (they never went head to head; it is the urban legend of all urban legends for this board), BC's ratings are worse than Uconn's in Boston, Rutgers doesn't matter to NYC, Uconn owns NYC college sports, does not make it true. If it were, this board would not exist.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You really think UConn would blackball UMass? Really, if UMass were on par with UConn and wanted to join the BE, you think UConn would blackball them? I don't.

I can totally understand why Duke and UNC are flabbergasted.

Is UConn the Boneyard or are those different things?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
@frankthetank remember that blog post u did at one point that had b10 expansion canidates with $ totals in value next to them? its linked all the time on CR boards when talking things over. on that u have rutgers with nyc and then cuse and uconn. then u also have a cuse one with nyc. u dont have a uconn one with nyc tho. how come? can u do that number for uconn and nyc? we are clearly on the rise overall and in nyc. were only 10 years old and already catching or passing other schools around the area. i am interested in that number. maybe a update to that post u did a while back with uconn changed and schools like mizzu not on it after they got passed on. add in a uva/unc and so on. would be cool to see a updated post since things have changed...

Reaction Score
Perception is reality. We are the most respected program that no key wants. We'e Brady Quinn sitting at the draft and trying not to look upset when evryone gets picked over hs.

Every program says "UConn? Great measurables. Somebody will take them. Oh, us? No, we're looking for (fill in the blank with "better football, more football history, more TV sets, AAU membership, better looking chicks...").

Hopefully somebody will in its us to the prom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom