My sources | Page 5 | The Boneyard

My sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn basketball > Florida State football.

Their football program is a bright shiny lie - wake me up the next time the real big dogs lose any sleep about Florida State up and winning a title. Ain't happening.

So everyone everywhere can just go duck* off about those hayseeds.

Reaction Score
Maybe this will clear up Uconn and conference realignment for you guys....

Reaction Score
"Yes, it's the great hair of Oscar Gamble. Go White Sox!"

Every time I think of Oscar Gamble, I think of the time he said "They don't think it be like it is, but it do".

Reaction Score
Uconn outdraws everyone in NYC. Uconn outdraws BC in Boston. Yet Uconn remains in the BE. Someone, somewhere show me the ratings that proves all of this. Because if it is true, then we are talking about the whole world being real stupid. Or maybe, just maybe, some people with access to ratings and who is watching what knows that this is not so. You know, like conference heads, TV networks. Maybe some of these schools outdraw Uconn on a national basis and maybe that is more important than anhyone on here considers.

Sorry but reality tells me that just because people on this board say stuff, like rodeo outdraws BC football (they never went head to head; it is the urban legend of all urban legends for this board), BC's ratings are worse than Uconn's in Boston, Rutgers doesn't matter to NYC, Uconn owns NYC college sports, does not make it true. If it were, this board would not exist.

Rodeo outdraws BC!! Not an urban legend.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By UConn I mean us. No, I don't think we'd be in favor of blackballing them.

Well there are dozens upon hundreds of posts that clearly state Boneyard posters don't feel UMass is worthy of competing against UConn and UMass should not be given an opportunity to compete. It's hard to believe you missed those.

Reaction Score
Well there are dozens upon hundreds of posts that clearly state Boneyard posters don't feel UMass is worthy of competing against UConn and UMass should not be given an opportunity to compete. It's hard to believe you missed those.

Umass now! Read my post again. UConn sports compared to BC is not equivalent to UMass sports compared to UConn. If Umass bball were on UConn's level, it would be a credit for UConn to add them to its conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Umass now! Read my post again. UConn sports compared to BC is not equivalent to UMass sports compared to UConn. If Umass bball were on UConn's level, it would be a credit for UConn to add them to its conference.

Buddy I'm pretty sure you have read no one's posts in this thread. You should go back and attempt to make some sense of things, because you are making zero sense.

Reaction Score
Buddy I'm pretty sure you have read no one's posts in this thread. You should go back and attempt to make some sense of things, because you are making zero sense.

Can't make it any simpler than I did. I don't want UMass because they add nothing. BC doesn't want UConn because it adds nothing? No. Big difference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can't make it any simpler than I did. I don't want UMass because they add nothing. BC doesn't want UConn because it adds nothing? No. Big difference.

You are the living embodiment of Frank's point about local rivalries.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Upstater you don't need to be on par with UConn to join the Big East. This is a league with Tulane and East Carolina.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The "it's better to create a regional rivalry" argument is always one that's advanced by the school that's left out and is then freely ignored by the school in the better position.

Can you focus on one sentence? This is the Boneyard summed up in less than 35 words.

Reaction Score
@frankthetank remember that blog post u did at one point that had b10 expansion canidates with $ totals in value next to them? its linked all the time on CR boards when talking things over. on that u have rutgers with nyc and then cuse and uconn. then u also have a cuse one with nyc. u dont have a uconn one with nyc tho. how come? can u do that number for uconn and nyc? we are clearly on the rise overall and in nyc. were only 10 years old and already catching or passing other schools around the area. i am interested in that number. maybe a update to that post u did a while back with uconn changed and schools like mizzu not on it after they got passed on. add in a uva/unc and so on. would be cool to see a updated post since things have changed...

That's an interesting thought. I may have the TV industry person that ran those numbers do an updated version soon. My guess is that UConn would end up with something close to Syracuse's number when including NYC. From what I recall, the assumption for was that they'd deliver Upstate New York and get "partial credit" for the NYC market. It would like be similar for UConn, where they'd get full credit for the state of Connecticut and partial credit for the NYC market.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
That's an interesting thought. I may have the TV industry person that ran those numbers do an updated version soon. My guess is that UConn would end up with something close to Syracuse's number when including NYC. From what I recall, the assumption for was that they'd deliver Upstate New York and get "partial credit" for the NYC market. It would like be similar for UConn, where they'd get full credit for the state of Connecticut and partial credit for the NYC market.

u should also factor in that we carry springfield and worcester. those 2 markets are quickly falling in love with uconn. they are giving us bball and baseball and fball players yearly now recruiting wise. really quietly becoming just uconn strong areas. umass is having real trouble with that from the other sports and just students applying and accepting because of uconn aspect...i think if u factored uconn into nyc and check the 3's u will really be surprised.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think the perception of UConn is hurt by the fact that people ignore Connecticut as a state. To the rest of the country, New England is a state and Boston is the capital and only major city.

If you tried to convince most people that Hartford-New Haven was a bigger TV market than Vegas, Columbus, KC, San Antonio, Memphis, Cinncinnati, Milwaukee, OKC, Austin, Jacksonville and on and on, they'd think you were nuts. But it is. And it omits Fairfield county. UConn is even strong in central Mass/Worcester and in RI. Basketball gets press in Boston.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2008/09/10/nielsen-local-television-market-universe-estimates/5037/

I'm sure the folks at Bama don't believe that Hartford-NH is much bigger than Birmingham plus Tuscaloosa

Louisville is barely a blip by comparison. Perception is what we battle more than anything. Even the perception that UConn football stinks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Frank, you're a welcome and informed guest poster who's provided insight without being preachy or haughty.

Here are my questions. How do you think Delany would respond if Slive/SEC released a statement (or leaked a rumor) to the effect that, if the B1G wanted to explore options on the South Atlantic coast, perhaps the SEC needed to look at the North Atlantic coast? Would Delany continue course or shift gears? Put any NC/GA/FL plans on hold while looking to shore up his recent northeast additions? If a battle were to be joined with the B1G fielding Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech and Florida State while the SEC fielded BC, UConn, Temple, VaTech, NC State, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, who would likely dominate the Atlantic coast in 5 to 10 years? Do you think Delany would fight that battle?

I honestly don't think that Delany would care whatsoever. This is a conference that had Missouri (an geographically contiguous AAU school with a large population base, 2 major TV markets, cultural fit and built-in rivals) begging to get in and just let the SEC walk away with them. Taking Missouri was much more of an encroachment on Big Ten territory than any of the schools that you've mentioned above... and the Big Ten didn't give a crap because their plan has a grander vision of expansion. The only school that you've listed there that Delany would likely care about the SEC taking is Virginia Tech since that would encroach upon the Big Ten's ability to lock down the DC market, but the ACC already effectively has the demographic slate that you've listed, anyway (so it's merely a shift of schools and markets that the Big Ten doesn't have from the ACC to the SEC). The fastest growth is in the Mid-Atlantic down to Florida - this goes for TV markets, overall population and football recruits. There's MUCH more risk for the Big Ten over the next decade or two (or even now when you look at recruiting rankings) to not be in the South than for the SEC to not be in the North. The SEC as of today already combines the states of Florida, Georgia and Texas, which is why National Signing Day has turned into as much of an SEC circle jerk event as the National Championship Game. The last thing that the Big Ten is worried about is the SEC heading North - the Big Ten is the one that *needs* to head South.

This isn't something that just came up in the past few months since the Big Ten took Maryland. Back in 2010 before the Big Ten added Nebraska and was still at 11 schools, Delany's presentation to the ADs about expansion focused on the South with schools such as Georgia Tech and Virginia specifically mentioned. I have little doubt that this is what the Big Ten *wants* to do (unless Notre Dame just drops from the sky). Whether the Big Ten is *able* to do it is another matter.

Reaction Score
UConn basketball > Florida State football.

Their football program is a bright shiny lie - wake me up the next time the real big dogs lose any sleep about Florida State up and winning a title. Ain't happening.

So everyone everywhere can just go duck* off about those hayseeds.

???

In Vegas, I guess you can make a colorable argument to wager on UConn basketball being more successful in the future than FSU football if you're speaking about long-term competitiveness.

In the world of conference realignment, though, FSU football is UNBELIEVABLY powerful. If you're talking about pure money, they are the single most valuable addition that the Big Ten could possibly have outside of adding Texas (not happening) or Florida (ditto). It's not even close. FSU football delivers the entire state of Florida on its own, it can do it at a maximum rate for the purposes of the BTN, and it would drive up the new national TV contract for the Big Ten to be negotiated in the next couple of years. It would be the same situation for the Big 12. We can talk about a lot of different factors here, but the money factor clearly favors FSU more than anyone else, and that alone means that they are going to be a major player (if not THE major player) in realignment going forward.

Reaction Score
Upstater you don't need to be on par with UConn to join the Big East. This is a league with Tulane and East Carolina.

UMass did not cross the 50 yard lane. East Carolina has wins over NC State, West Virginia, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Boise St. in recent years.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
UMass did not cross the 50 yard lane. East Carolina has wins over NC State, West Virginia, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Boise St. in recent years.

umass is the color red, our HC likes that color. ecu is purple, i dont know.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Ok you want to talk football. So the argument against UConn has been no FBS history. Which is the same argument that UConn fans would make against UMass.

UMass was terrible this year. Memphis and Tulane have been that bad for decades. They are in the league what is their excuse.

Reaction Score
Upstate NY is definitely not a Syracuse region. Only Central NY is Cuse territory. U Buffalo is more popular for instance in Buffalo than Cuse is. In my 10 years here, I haven't heard Cuse mentioned once by the local all sports radio people. Not once. They simply don't even talk about college basketball outside an occasional mention of UBuffalo and St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies are the second most popular team even though they are located an hour away.

Reaction Score
Ok you want to talk football. So the argument against UConn has been no FBS history. Which is the same argument that UConn fans would make against UMass.

UMass was terrible this year. Memphis and Tulane have been that bad for decades. They are in the league what is their excuse.

Your argument is abysmal. UConn has actually won some games in the last decade. It was obvious on the field that you can't compare UConn to UMass. Not in basketball, not in football. What more do you want? UConn at least had winning records against the 3 schools that went to the ACC. UMass is nowhere near as good. And no UMass is not on par with even the bottom of the conference. Come on!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your argument is abysmal. UConn has actually won some games in the last decade. It was obvious on the field that you can't compare UConn to UMass. Not in basketball, not in football. What more do you want? UConn at least had winning records against the 3 schools that went to the ACC. UMass is nowhere near as good. And no UMass is not on par with even the bottom of the conference. Come on!

I can only assume you took liberties with the bottle due to the snow.

You should try watching a Memphis football game someday. The last few years they wouldn't have had a winning record in the CAA. Once you've let Memphis in your league you can't pretend there is any measurement of quality that can be applied to your membership.

Reaction Score
I can only assume you took liberties with the bottle due to the snow.

You should try watching a Memphis football game someday. The last few years they wouldn't have had a winning record in the CAA. Once you've let Memphis in your league you can't pretend there is any measurement of quality that can be applied to your membership.

You can't be serious. You really can't possibly believe that UMass is the equivalent of Memphis in either sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom