Muffet Tweet | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Muffet Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What’s the point when you’ve won so many already. If you really don’t like ND then you’ve got to see them lose visibility in recruiting. Kids want to go to programs that are winning and on the radar. UConn always bring more to series than the other way around.
You don't understand that collegiate sports is pageantry. That includes piling up wins. Even if we are winning. ND has money. They'd still be relevant without us on their schedule.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Explained in detail here: Jewell Loyd Got Game - Bleacher Report

Many of her peers are fiercely loyal to ND. Cable came back for a 5th year. Nelson came back for a fifth year. Turner came back for a fifth year. Allen made a special point to be at the Final Four (iirc, she flew back from playing overseas). Achonwa worked for the team when she was rehabbing her ACL tear. All of them overlapped with Jewell.

Jewell had a rough time at ND. Many of her peers had a great experience. Though, it should be noted that basically all the players from Jewell's era are gone now, with only Brianna Turner remaining.

Thanks for that link, Orang. I had no appreciation (nor even understanding) for what went into her decision.

Reaction Score
Did you read through all the responses to the tweet? Talk about a difference of perception. People are gonna see what they want to see or what fits with their existing viewpoint.
I am just disgusted that a Notre Dame education was unable to teach that young lady how to communicate in an appropriate and sophisticated manner.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I would drop the first 3 words in the title (I feel the same but unnecessary) but that's well done.

Good article. Arike is using the "Svengali defence," an actual legal tactic used in courts of law that "purports the defendant to be a pawn in the scheme of a greater and more influential, criminal mastermind." She talks about how she was "baited" by Geno and has said that she let him get into her head, so Geno made me do it. Though if you look at the game video, there is barely, if any, exchange from Geno with her, not sure how he can be trash-talking her as ND fans claim, I've just seen no evidence of it.

Reaction Score
I like Devereaux Peters a lot, but I'm afraid she's on the wrong side of this one:

The problem with this interpretation of events (that Geno was baiting Arike), one widely shared on McGraw's Bench, is that it doesn't fit with what we know based on simply watching the video. Geno was talking to a ref and Arike walked toward Geno. Secondly, if Geno was actually baiting a player don't you think he would have received a T as well? The ref was in earshot of both Geno and Arike, and decided to only give Arike a T. All this "Geno was baiting her" is just wishful thinking on the part of Notre Dame apologists.

Last edited:

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I love this quote from CW, it shows that she's been a UConn fan all along and really wanted to beat ND.

"I was at home, and she hit the shot, and I was just devastated," Williams said of Arike Ogunbowale's game-winner for Notre Dame last March. "I wished I could be out there to help. And today, I got my chance to."

Reaction Score
The problem with this interpretation of events (that Geno was baiting Arike), one widely shared on McGraw's Bench, is that it doesn't fit with what we know based on simply watching the video. Geno was talking to a ref and Arike walked toward Geno. Secondly, if Geno was actually baiting a player don't you think he would have received a T as well? The ref was in earshot of both Geno an Arike, and decided to only give Arike a T. All this "Geno was baiting her" is just wishful thinking on the part of Notre Dame apologist.
Lol, no facts just adding to the hysteria and no mention of the dirty plays which is getting lost in all this Geno vs Arike stuff.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The problem with this interpretation of events (that Geno was baiting Arike), one widely shared on McGraw's Bench, is that it doesn't fit with what we know based on simply watching the video. Geno was talking to a ref and Arike walked toward Geno. Secondly, if Geno was actually baiting a player don't you think he would have received a T as well? The ref was in earshot of both Geno an Arike, and decided to only give Arike a T. All this "Geno was baiting her" is just wishful thinking on the part of Notre Dame apologist.

Unfortunately, if you think about it, this "interpretation" is easy to arrive at if you want to get there.

Geno, like just about all D1 coaches was chatting up the ref about things he felt the ref needs to pay attention to or maybe that they missed (in order to, as a minimum, not lose an on court advantage due to officiating "misses") At that point in time it is easy to believe that Geno might have been talking about the chippy play by a star player on the ND team that has potential to cause harm to his players. Arike, hearing Geno complain about her to the officials, combined with the building frustration of the impending loss and her inability to turn that around, exploded at Geno. So you see, if you lay it out that way, by railing to the official about Arike's rough play right in front of her while she's in the midst of losing the game, Geno can easily be interpreted by her as "baited" her.

Now that interpretation would be incorrect but it provides a nice explanation to bridge and cover her unacceptable behavior and push the primary blame to someone else.

So it's not hard to understand, but it doesn't make it correct in any way.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I suspect the claim of "baiting" is based on Geno specifically mentioning Arike by name to the ref. That happens all the time. Coaches often reference opposing players when talking to referees: "Hey, keep your eye on so-and-so she's fouling, etc" and coaches don't care if the player hears it or not (nor should they). My guess is that's exactly what Geno did and he probably was talking about the uncalled leg-whip on Dangerfield and was trying to protect his player. What made this so unusual was the player in question interjected herself in to the conversation instead of just walking away.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, if you think about it, this "interpretation" is easy to arrive at if you want to get there.

Geno, like just about all D1 coaches was chatting up the ref about things he felt the ref needs to pay attention to or maybe that they missed (in order to, as a minimum, not lose an on court advantage due to officiating "misses") At that point in time it is easy to believe that Geno might have been talking about the chippy play by a star player on the ND team that has potential to cause harm to his players. Arike, hearing Geno complain about her to the officials, combined with the building frustration of the impending loss and her inability to turn that around, exploded at Geno. So you see, if you lay it out that way, by railing to the official about Arike's rough play right in front of her while she's in the midst of losing the game, Geno can easily be interpreted by her as "baited" her.

Now that interpretation would be incorrect but it provides a nice explanation to bridge and cover her unacceptable behavior and push the primary blame to someone else.

My point exactly but you said it better.

Reaction Score

Exactly what my impression has been all along.

Reaction Score
OK, going to be nice here, no emoji of head banging the wall which would be well deserved. ;)
I saw the game, I have heard and read all the comments and cannot figure out for the life of me how many don't get the fact this was the best thing for women's basketball since ND knocking us out of the tourney.

To end the best rivalry in the woman's game at this point with the position / conference UConn is in would be a suicide setback just like that of Pat's. ( Note recruiting class this year. ) Be aware this would hurt UConn much more than it would ND. How many match ups like this, early in the season are featured in prime time on ESPN?

All that happened in this game was fuel to the fire and what is needed to maintain a great rivalry. That and scrutiny from the media and pressure on ND and the officials should we meet in the final four. I am obviously a little rougher around the edges here than many but I say bring it on! ;)
We embarrassed the #1 team in their house as they continued to embarrass themselves and some want to end the competition ????
Pretty soon, if it isn’t starting already, the new talking points won’t favor us. Want to keep playing 5 on 8, and getting physically maimed too? They put us out in the nether world of conferences, and we’ve still done ok, but that will end sooner than later. We’ll be another mid-major for them to push around. I’d rather leave on our terms.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pretty soon, if it isn’t starting already, the new talking points won’t favor us. Want to keep playing 5 on 8, and getting physically maimed too? They put us out in the nether world of conferences, and we’ve still done ok, but that will end sooner than later. We’ll be another mid-major for them to push around. I’d rather leave on our terms.
1544067705567.png

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

Fine, but this is all about a relatively minor issue. Why focus so much attention on this verbal crap when two of our players were subjected to physical assaults -- potentially very dangerous ones, and intentional ones. seems to me that's far more signifigant than this minor dispute

Reaction Score
Not true, five people clapping in this picture. Ivey on the left, Lindsay Allen(?) obscured by Muffet head, Whitney Holloway, Michaela Mabrey, and Maddie Cable.

Muffet, her Husband, and Beth Cunningham didn't clap. The rest are either clapping or not in the picture.

View attachment 37127

Tout

#lawyered hahaha
But glad to see it. I didn’t think it was everyone...I thought it was mostly just Muffet

Reaction Score
Explained in detail here: Jewell Loyd Got Game - Bleacher Report

Many of her peers are fiercely loyal to ND. Cable came back for a 5th year. Nelson came back for a fifth year. Turner came back for a fifth year. Allen made a special point to be at the Final Four (iirc, she flew back from playing overseas). Achonwa worked for the team when she was rehabbing her ACL tear. All of them overlapped with Jewell.

Jewell had a rough time at ND. Many of her peers had a great experience. Though, it should be noted that basically all the players from Jewell's era are gone now, with only Brianna Turner remaining.

How the hell did I miss this interview???? I actually always liked Jewell. She was badddddd.

But I like her even more now.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what exchange caused MM to block the former UConn player on Twitter ? This what Louisville’ Coach said to MM after last year’s ACC conference final: “My player’s name is Asia Durr.” MM is just so petty, being gracious and nice does not cost her a penny!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Was Peters standing next to Geno when it happened? I didn't see her.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Fine, but this is all about a relatively minor issue. Why focus so much attention on this verbal crap when two of our players were subjected to physical assaults -- potentially very dangerous ones, and intentional ones. seems to me that's far more signifigant than this minor dispute

Its a "bait and switch" tactic. ND wants no part of AO physical play in any discussion. There is no way ND and Muffeytcan defend AO's play. So Geno is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom