Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads)

Reaction Score
It is never OK for any coach (Geno and MM included) to not display class. Part of the responsibility of any NCAA head coach is the development of young women & men. The HC position demands it.
glad you included Geno.

Reaction Score
Re the many less-than-complimentary comments here aimed at one of the greatest coaches of women's college basketball upon her retirement, "Have you no sense of decency, boneyarders, at long last?"

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
If someone wants to follow the formula to be a successful women's basketball coach at the pompous University of Notre Dame, I think you need to begin with the MM fundamentals. Step one: the name change. Mufett's birth name was Ann, which she legally changed to Muffet. While Niele is not as old-school mainstream as Ann, it is not preppy enough for the privileged on God's favorite team. So it's time for the Niele Ivy name change. I can't decide between Buffy, Bunnie or Topsy. Thoughts? Suggestions?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ESPN is giving a ND marathon tomorrow on ESPNU. Schedule your day for the losses, ;)

12:00 PM 2012 NCAA Women’s Final Four (Notre Dame vs. UConn)

2:00 PM 2013 Women’s College Basketball (UConn vs. Notre Dame)

4:00 PM 2015 NCAA Women’s Final Four (South Carolina vs. Notre Dame)

6:00 PM 2018 NCAA Women’s Final Four (Notre Dame vs. UConn)

8:00 PM 2018 NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship (Notre Dame vs. Miss State)

10:00 PM 2020 Women’s College Basketball (Notre Dame vs. Florida State)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again, the Huskies are Numero Uno, but the devil must be given his (or her) their just due. Does anyone recall women's basketball at Notre Dame prior to MM?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Again, the Huskies are Numero Uno, but the devil must be given his (or her) their just due. Does anyone recall women's basketball at Notre Dame prior to MM?
No, but mostly because I was still in diapers when she started at ND. ;)

Reaction Score
Anything that is ND rankles me and it has since the early 60's while I was living in West Lafayette, IN. Two thirds of the State of Indiana hate ND and that has nothing to do with UConn.
ND first rankled me back in the 40's, 50's, 60's. I grew up in North Jersey, and was a long time fan of the football teams of the Black Knights of the Hudson. Except for 1958, never could beat ND. Only Navy rankled my more. And all those losses to ND basketball have been painful, but I grudgingly developed great respect for McGraw, as most other coaches could not figure out how to beat UConn. Re her attitude towards Geno: hard to coach against such a smart ass like him without a bit of that happening.

Reaction Score
those 9 losses continue to rankle posters like you.
Not really. UConn has had so much more success than Notre Dame that it’s barely even a rivalry.

My issue with Muffet was her antics - such as the time she walked out of the Big East awards banquet when Breanna Stewart won Player of the Year over one of her players. She’d always criticize others like Geno for not having class when she never showed any herself.

Reaction Score
That 2001 semi-final game between UConn and ND was heartbreaking. We lost both Shea Ralph and Svetlana Obrosimova in close succession. Two starters down. And then D had the worst game of her career- 1 for 15?

Yet we were up 4 (?) with seconds left and a UConn player at the line for a one-and-one. She misses the first shot, ND gets the rebound goes down and I think makes a 3 (?), pulling them almost even. Then the second half gets started and it all falls apart.

That was the one NC for ND until recently.

That was a tough game to lose....

Reaction Score
One thing to be said for Muffet is that she has gotten the very best out of her players. Her teams have over-achieved. Perhaps the harsh things she has said about her recent teams is that she thinks that they do not have the drive, intense desire to win and to be coached of previous years. Geno has also said that players have changed; but, he has had the flexibility to deal with it and still love coaching.

Reaction Score
That 2001 semi-final game between UConn and ND was heartbreaking. We lost both Shea Ralph and Svetlana Obrosimova in close succession. Two starters down. And then D had the worst game of her career- 1 for 15?

Yet we were up 4 (?) with seconds left and a UConn player at the line for a one-and-one. She misses the first shot, ND gets the rebound goes down and I think makes a 3 (?), pulling them almost even. Then the second half gets started and it all falls apart.

UConn had their lead cut to 49-37 on a late 3 to end the 1st half by Ratay after a Cash FT miss. Riley had barely scored and sat on the bench for the final 6+ minutes w/ 2 fouls and Ivey joined her soon after w/3. Injuries or not with what UConn still had available personal wise compared to ND's role players it should not have even been that close.

Reaction Score

Fairfield Fan, That semifinal game in 2001 was the game that Geno to this day says he blew it away!
He asked Sue Bird on a Geno Legacy if she has finally forgiven him for that loss and she said it wasn't ALL his fault.
UCONN was up 18 with several seconds left till 1/2 time and ND's Ratan hit a 3 to cut the lead to 15.
On entering the locker room, Geno went nuts screaming and kicked a chair over. how could they allow her to make a 3?
He went on for the full 15 minutes and some girls were crying others stunned as they went out for the 2nd 1/2!
They preceded to give back the lead as DT finished shooting 1 for 15! But everyone stunk 2nd 1/2!
Not having senior leaders Shea & Svet also hurt the leadership vacated big-time to settle them down!
That game was for the championship as whoever won was going to beat Purdue or SMS in the finals!
If UCONN had hung on they would have won 5 NCAA's in a row, winning 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004!
IMHO, That 2000-2001 UCONN team was the greatest WCBB team ever! Even tho they didn't win the title!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom