Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads)

Reaction Score
This might actually be better for recruiting , Coach Ivey was the key to ND getting all those good talented players. Once she left they sank , now shes back .
Ohhh wow! Good to know.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I must confess to mixed emotions. There are a lot of things about MM’s personality that are not particularly endearing. But she sure could get a basketball team ready to compete. Just as with Pat/TN, the matchup between UConn and ND will never feel quite the same.

It was all too obvious that this past season took a tremendous toll on MM. When she broke down during one of her postgame pressers, even some UConn fans felt bad for her. I suspect that she and her husband had some time to reflect after the end of a terribly disappointing season.

There are generally three main reasons to leave coaching: 1) You get fired. 2) You have a health problem. 3) It’s no longer fun. In MM’s case it certainly appears to be #3.

Reaction Score
I am absolutely shocked. McGraw is at the top of her game, with many more great seasons to go. Yes, this past season was tough. But it resulted from graduations, serious injuries, and some defections. Having said that, for a team that lost- what?- all of its starters and its key reserves, it and she fought hard, and performed credibly. And with several strong recruits about to arrive on campus, ND would have been a formidable competitor once again.

For the record, Notre Dame under McGraw was a tremendous force, a fearsome opponent, and the team, above all others for years, which gave Coach Geno his toughest games year in and year out. This WCBB and Connecticut fan salutes her for her accomplishments, and for her tremendous competitiveness.

She deserves a round of applause as she leaves. She was one of the finest.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You may hate it, and while I would hate it as well but I suspect the odd has gone up for that to happen.
Really? I was just getting ready to write this. Where is this rep of Ivey "master recruiter" coming from?
For Azzi level of player (#1) in the class she has had far more misses than hits. She Missed on Megan Waker, KLS, Lauren Cox, Christyn Williams). To ND's credit they done well without snagging a number 1 player.

Reaction Score
Question - is anyone surprised that they passed over Beth Cunningham? She's been at MM's side for a few years, but chose Ivy instead. Wondering if Ivy had more of an impact as an assistant before she left, and could that be a factor as to the sub par last season?

Ivey had a longer tenuer with ND and "out-ranked" Cunningham in title, responsibility, and accolades while at ND. While Cunningham did have head coaching experience at VCU before returning to ND her real success there and in their conference coincided with eventual WNBA level talent in Q. Hollingsworth. Once Hollingsworth graduated VCU's standing did as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Since ND is a private school.... it will probably be a few years before we know what they are paying Ivey... but curious as to what the contract is. I'm sure they will be saving alot of money though.

don't you owe me a few slices of giordano's pizza.... some fried chicken.. and some Italian beef sandwiches? :cool:
True. They didn’t have to empty the coffers to “lure” Ivey back. They would have had to - to entice a big name coach to come in.

Reaction Score
Bet there will be some recruit harvesting in all of this. Hard to keep every recruit and have players not to take another look some where else. Expect one or two to leave. Even though it is stable some recruits choose a certain head coach.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Since ND is a private school.... it will probably be a few years before we know what they are paying Ivey... but curious as to what the contract is. I'm sure they will be saving alot of money though.

don't you owe me a few slices of giordano's pizza.... some fried chicken.. and some Italian beef sandwiches? :cool:
My latest intel has MM at $1.4 mil per year....updated since I posted a few days ago...I expect Ivey to get $750K estimate on what other Top 1st year P5 coaches get with prior HC experience. Ivey has ND experience to compensate for that lack of HC. IMO...:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bet there will be some recruit harvesting in all of this. Hard to keep every recruit and have players not to take another look some where else. Expect one or two to leave. Even though it is stable some recruits choose a certain head coach.
Interesting point. All of ND’s signed recruits are now free agents per NCAA rules. Ivey’s first order of business will be to personally contact each of them to secure a recommitment. She will be limited by the fact that she can’t actually see them and their families in person.

Reaction Score
This is, indeed, a big surprise to me. I had expected to see Ms McGraw continue for many years. Many reasons for her leaving, but I suspect that this may be a health issue. I would be really sad if that turns out to be the problem. Although from a competitive perspective I did not like Notre Dame and her as the Coach, I really had to admire her tenacious spirit and desire to win coaching many fine young basket ball players to a Final Four and a National Championship.

Fare thee well, Muffet McGraw and I hope that you prosper and enjoy your change in this life with good health.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone thinking Sam Brunelle might want to jump ship now and head to UCONN, given Coach McGraw is no longer there and she might not want to play for Coach Ivey?
Anyone think UConn would want Brunelle? My vote-no way. Mainly a shooting forward. With the number of shooters on team and coming to UConn she would be on bench (which is already crowded).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For years fans on "the Bench" have seen Neile as the power behind the throne. Nice choice for the Irish. Can't say I'll miss Muffet. Got sick of the years of her churlish behavior. Her envy of Geno translated into spiteful and snide attacks. Good riddance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow! Well I guess if that's what she wants to do, then good for her. 848-252 and a couple NC's. She's done enough. Might as well walk away and enjoy the phase of life.

I imagine Ivey will be a good choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom