Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I am also not surprised and it is not unlikely that she was pushed.

On many occasions this past season, her conduct was
so unbecoming, that if were anyone else she would have been disciplined on the spot.

She demonstrated often enough her penchant for nastiness even as a winner....as a loser this past season, her demeanor was reprehensible.

Which does not take away for her brilliance when things lined up, when she had the right players, and the strength of her record over the last few decades.

Unless, much of it were the results of her assistants, Niele Ivey, in particular, whom I expect to be announced within a week as the new coach.

edit: Ha ha, late again :)

Reaction Score
Anyone thinking Sam Brunelle might want to jump ship now and head to UCONN, given Coach McGraw is no longer there and she might not want to play for Coach Ivey?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anyone thinking Sam Brunelle might want to jump ship now and head to UCONN, given Coach McGraw is no longer there and she might not want to play for Coach Ivey?

We’ll know in the next 7-14 days. If any of their players are going to bail, they’ll do it in the next few days.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Now one would have to say that this job opening will be the most sought after in D-1 WBB (more so than the Texas Job, the Mississippi State Job, and even last years Tennessee opening). Now, what "Prominent" current D1 College Coaches do you feel might want this job? (Jeff Walz?). I personally think that Jennifer Rizzotti would be a great choice for Notre Dame to consider (Yes, I know that this is hated Notre Dame, but for Jen, this opportunity would be terrific).
Where have you been for the last 7 years? In hibernation? Jen Rizzotti will be lucky to finish out her current contract at GW let alone be considered for any P5 job let alone a "pristine" P5 job. Sorry Griff, no one and I mean no one thinks of Jen as an elite coach.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I wonder if Muffet is leaving for greener pastures? :confused:

I'm not sure what "greener pastures" are out there but 64 does seem young to be retiring in this day and age....

Ah, she didn't retire...just read my earlier post

Reaction Score
Nevermind - I just read about Niele Ivey being named the new coach at ND. What is everyone's thoughts on that selection ??
Niele Ivy is a strong recruiter, in my opinion, and loyal to Notre Dame. She is a good hire for them. I wonder what the new name for the "McGraw's Bench" bulletin board will be?

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Quick, someone check in on our fine colleagues @Dillon77 and @Orangutan to make sure they are ok....:oops:

I am truly shocked and at a loss for words. As I have said, I may not like her much but there is no one I respect more as an opposing coach than her.

Alive and well. Wasn't expecting for another year or two but perhaps the Coronavirus moved some things up. A number of us on McGraw's Bench noted that Sam Brunelle had Niele Ivey on her initial Zoomcast of "Quarantime with Sam." People were wondering "why a coach who she never played with?" In retrospect, could mean something.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This was all so fast! Muffet goes, and within the hour, Ivey is named the new head coach. Obviously this was in the works for a while. I don't see any drop off with Ivey as the HC. In fact, with all the problems/issues at ND, I think she will stabilize the team and take ND back to the top 10.

UCONN should take note - I don't see any drop off any time soon for ND as far as future recruiting. Ivey was a huge force in them landing a bunch of top kids when she was there and is the perfect replacement.

We will have the same challenge when Geno chooses to retire... I hope we do it like ND did, and that the next UCONN HC is as respected and has as many WCBB contacts as Ivey.

Reaction Score
No fan of hers but I hope she didn't resign because of a health problem.

Amazing how ND was able to keep this quiet, usually there are rumors floating around when something this big is about to go down.

Reaction Score
It is surprising since I recall reading/hearing her talk about the rebuilding process, potentially getting some transfers, and returning a team with more experience. It makes me wonder if there was encouragement by the AD (losing season mainly as a result of retention) maybe personal reasons like family/health, or knowledge about the future of the NCAA for the next year(s). Regardless, she created one of the top programs and was one of the largest faces of WCBB.

Makes you realize how quickly things can change, especially when you think that Geno is older than Muffet.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This was all so fast! Muffet goes, and within the hour, Ivey is named the new head coach. Obviously this was in the works for a while. I don't see any drop off with Ivey as the HC. In fact, with all the problems/issues at ND, I think she will stabilize the team and take ND back to the top 10.

UCONN should take note - I don't see any drop off any time soon for ND as far as future recruiting. Ivey was a huge force in them landing a bunch of top kids when she was there and is the perfect replacement.

We will have the same challenge when Geno chooses to retire... I hope we do it like ND did, and that the next UCONN HC is as respected and has as many WCBB contacts as Ivey.
As @Dillon77 can attest, Niele has quite a bit of work to do as the 2021 and 2022 classes have 0 commits. Then the question of her actual coaching will come into play. While her pedigree is there, the simple fact is we have to see it play out before anyone knows. On the plus side, Meg Duffy has been a Rock Star! ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what "greener pastures" are out there but 64 does seem young to be retiring in this day and age....

Ah, she didn't retire...just read my earlier post

Look forward to your documentation on that. She "embarrassed" the university so much that Jack Swarbrick, the university's AD who I'm listening to live as I type, has emphasized that MM will continue to represent the university in various external (speaking) and internal (teaching, mentoring) capacities. Believe me when I tell you -- as my daughter (a recent ND grad) did -- that Muffet McGraw and Mike Brey are the most respected coaches on the ND campus, bar none.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess the rumors will begin that Jeff Walz is in the running for the job. He will use that to get another pay raise. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tough to do when ND already named its new head coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom