Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Quick, someone check in on our fine colleagues @Dillon77 and @Orangutan to make sure they are ok....:oops:

I am truly shocked and at a loss for words. As I have said, I may not like her much but there is no one I respect more as an opposing coach than her.

I read the news that Niele had been hired just a few minutes after the news that McGraw had stepped down. Definitely cushioned the blow!

I though this was going to happen in two or three years instead of now but Ivey succeeding Muffet always seemed fated to happen within the next few years.

Reaction Score
Holy smokes. I knew they had a rough year, but wow. 64? That's young in today's game. Coach Ivey taking over is probably the best news ND fans could hope for in light of this shocker. I agree with above posts, ND will be back to top 10 quickly.

Reaction Score
Hopefully whenever Geno announces his retirement it’s a well coordinated like what ND did. And hopefully if CD doesn’t retire with him Shea gets the job.

I still have a gut feeling it will be RL. Just my .02

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You lose to Coach McCallie AND Pittsburgh in the same season...... then you know its time to hang it up :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The saddest thing about this is that her last game will be a Wednesday loss to Pitt in the ACC tourney. Talk about a low note.

I think I will pretend from here on that it never happened and that the win over Florida Sate was her finale.

Reaction Score
I think that’s great for ND. Niele was their recruiter and she can relate to the younger kids. She and Skylar Diggins for were the main reasons they’d has so much success since 2010/11-to the present.

Reaction Score
Since Niele Ivey is known as a strong recruiter, perhaps the first major coup for her is to snatch Azzi Fudd away from Uconn's strong grasp.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The saddest thing about this is that her last game will be a Wednesday loss to Pitt in the ACC tourney. Talk about a low note.

I think I will pretend from here on that it never happened and that the win over Florida Sate was her finale.

So I should refrain from sending you the pics I took of that game? :eek::D:p:cool::rolleyes:;)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Anyone thinking Sam Brunelle might want to jump ship now and head to UCONN, given Coach McGraw is no longer there and she might not want to play for Coach Ivey?

Sam just started a new video series on the NDWBB twitter account: "Quarantime with Sam" I think they called it.

First guest? Niele Ivey. I wonder if that was intentional.

I think that the all the kids on on the current roster will stick around having stuck it out to this point.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This was all so fast! Muffet goes, and within the hour, Ivey is named the new head coach. Obviously this was in the works for a while. I don't see any drop off with Ivey as the HC. In fact, with all the problems/issues at ND, I think she will stabilize the team and take ND back to the top 10.

UCONN should take note - I don't see any drop off any time soon for ND as far as future recruiting. Ivey was a huge force in them landing a bunch of top kids when she was there and is the perfect replacement.

We will have the same challenge when Geno chooses to retire... I hope we do it like ND did, and that the next UCONN HC is as respected and has as many WCBB contacts as Ivey.

I'm listening to Jack Swarbrick, ND's AD, talking to ND alums about a range of events, but he touched on Muffet's retirement and Niele's ascension to the top spot. As many have surmised, this seems to have played out over an extended period of time.

Safe to say, given how seamless this appears, the Niele was the successor-in-line for quite some time.

Safe to say that she knows all of the current players and I'll be she laid the groundwork for a number of the upcoming prospects in '21 and possibly '22. Given her point guard background, I'll be particularly interested in how that plays out with prospects such as Olivia Miles and Ari Wiggins. (And in retrospect, I wonder if her presence in any capacity would've helped at all with Caitlin Clark?).

Next things on my mind:
- Will current assistants - Carol Owens, Beth Morgan Cunningham and Michaela Mabrey -- be kept?
My gut: probably for the latter two. Owens is nearing retirement age, but she's a great post coach. Could be a good person to keep for a few years.
- Transfers. ND's relative lack of movement on this can probably be traced to this transition.

Great ride by MM, to to say the least. Enjoy the next stage. Welcome to the "hot" seat Niele!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Holy cow - that's crazy. I wonder how much she was influenced by the possibility that next season will be reduced/cancelled, and thus the rebuild project would be at least another 2-3 seasons? Not going to lie, if I was even close to 50/50 on staying or retiring, now would be an excellent time to retire, because college sports is in for a few seasons of brutal financial cutbacks.

And smart of ND to secure Niele and do the retirement/hiring as a package announcement. Their AD was very savvy in how they managed this, and keeping it 100% LEAKPROOF prior to the announcements.

I’ll bet their first choice to replace Muffet was Niele, and they didn’t have to twist her arm. A promotion to HC, and a hefty pay raise got it done. As others here have predicted, 3 years minimum to become seriously competitive again. Ivey is a good judge of talent, and an excellent recruiter.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sam just started a new video series on the NDWBB twitter account: "Quarantime with Sam" I think they called it.

First guest? Niele Ivey. I wonder if that was intentional.

I think that the all the kids on on the current roster will stick around having stuck it out to this point.

Owe me a beer/coke ;)

Reaction Score
Wow. Wonder what that means for her recruits and players. Think we’ll see any enter the portal?
This might actually be better for recruiting , Coach Ivey was the key to ND getting all those good talented players. Once she left they sank , now shes back .

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Since Niele Ivey is known as a strong recruiter, perhaps the first major coup for her is to snatch Azzi Fudd away from Uconn's strong grasp.
tenor 2.gif

Reaction Score
Anyone thinking Sam Brunelle might want to jump ship now and head to UCONN, given Coach McGraw is no longer there and she might not want to play for Coach Ivey?
Coach Ivey is the one that recruited her and Azzi Fudd.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Question - is anyone surprised that they passed over Beth Cunningham? She's been at MM's side for a few years, but chose Ivy instead. Wondering if Ivy had more of an impact as an assistant before she left, and could that be a factor as to the sub par last season?

Reaction Score
Wonder all you want but just don't bet any money on it. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Since ND is a private school.... it will probably be a few years before we know what they are paying Ivey... but curious as to what the contract is. I'm sure they will be saving alot of money though.

I see now that you beat me to the point.

Anyhow, I already owe you several beers should our paths ever cross.

don't you owe me a few slices of giordano's pizza.... some fried chicken.. and some Italian beef sandwiches? :cool:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Since ND is a private school.... it will probably be a few years before we know what they are paying Ivey... but curious as to what the contract is. I'm sure they will be saving alot of money though.

don't you owe me a few slices of giordano's pizza.... some fried chicken.. and some Italian beef sandwiches? :cool:

I sure do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom