Movies that are not as good as you remembered | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Movies that are not as good as you remembered

Reaction Score
Anyone seen Breaking Away lately? I wonder how that one holds up.

I hadn't seen Breaking Away in years., not since I was in college. Noticed it was on television about a year ago, and I wondered if I should bother with it, as I figured it would be rather dated. I ended up watching it, and found that it held up very well. It's an excellent movie.

Reaction Score
The Queen soundtrack helps that movie a lot in my opinion. And let's be honest, who doesn't get a laugh out of the fact that the best QB the Jets have had since Namath wasn't even a real person?

I remember seeing this version of Flash Gordon at the old Manchester Drive In. I equate this movie with the old Batman television series. An over the top larger than life spoof of a genre that works and is quite entertaining. Brian Blessed as the king of the hawkmen is an absolute hoot.

Reaction Score
About Last Night (the version with Demi Moore, Rob Lowe). Liked it when I first saw it, now can;t sit through 5 minutes of it.
Slumdog Millionaire (already mentioned.. thought it was great at first, now there is no desire to re-watch it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This a drunk post, isn't it?

Is this a drunk post? This is a thread about movies that have not aged well. Dogdeacon has responded to 2 separate posts with comments about nudity.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
About Last Night (the version with Demi Moore, Rob Lowe). Liked it when I first saw it, now can;t sit through 5 minutes of it.

Litko is timeless. Although it doesn't say much for your movie when Jim Belushi is the best actor of the four. He has all the best lines and did a solid job of delivering them.

Never did find out what the hell, "Blotty blue" means, though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Slumdog Millionaire (already mentioned.. thought it was great at first, now there is no desire to re-watch it.

Worth a separate thread, but Freida Pinto in Slumdog falls into the category of run-of-the-mill actress that for some reason was incredibly appealing for a single movie. She is captivating in Slumdog, where I think she is pretty nondescript in anything else she has been in. Renee Zellwegger in Jerry Maguire is another.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A movie that has held up far, far better than it had any right to - Close Encounters.

Saw it again a few days ago and it was still good.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I still watch "The Searchers," "Tora Tora Tora," and "In Cold Blood."

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I'm sure people thought it was terrible when it came out but when I was a kid I absolutely loved the Popeye movie with Robin Williams. Tried to show it to my son when he was 7/8 and neither one of us could take it for more than 10 minutes. It was next level bad.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
From way back...Stripes.That movie was idiotic. I think most of us remember the few Army scenes as being funny and forget the part where they take the RV into Eastern Europe.

I think that's part of the point. That's why eighties movies were so excellent. Delicately straddling the line between regular and B movies.

RE tarantino. While it's not technically his, Desperado is always fantastic. Salma Hayek at the height of her powers.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
She raped a disabled person and then gave him the Hivvy.

She is very Sansa stark in her evil ways.

Least he got laid though. Not an easy task for 'ol box a chocolates.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Stripes was always 2 movies, funny thru the graduation scene, inane farce with the RV in Eastern Europe. I only watch it thru the graduation.

I thought Teen Wolf was a 'good bad movie' as amusing ridiculousness on cable, but I tried watching it with my 12-year old recently and it was just plain bad & littered with high school cliché

80's movies are one big cliche. Therein lies their greatness. Easy watching. Summer School was a perfect example. Revenge of the Nerds. Masterpiece.

I mean, Top Gun was one of the campiest, cliche-ridden movies of all time. And for that it was brilliant.

Edit:
My favorite of these is Revenge of the Nerds.

Atta boy billy. seconded and thirded.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Big Chill. With age, it hasn't ripened, it's rotted. Really brings home the message that a whole lot of us boomers were shallow buttwipes.

But you were storrs, you were.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That, and the roughly 1500 bombs. And dick drawings. Lots of dick drawings . . .

If that's what constitutes an 'R' rating, god help the coddled generation. American society is so hypocritical when it comes to sex it's mind boggling. It's a cross between the puritans and snuff films.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Red Dawn, commando, tron - horrendous movies upon recent rewatch.

Red Dawn still works for me. Commando no, but Predator still kills it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
where I think she is pretty nondescript in anything else she has been in. Renee Zellwegger in Jerry Maguire is another.

That's cause she can't act. She's just naturally exactly who the character should be in Jerry Mcgwire. That's why she works.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think that's part of the point. That's why eighties movies were so excellent. Delicately straddling the line between regular and B movies.

RE tarantino. While it's not technically his, Desperado is always fantastic. Salma Hayek at the height of her powers.

Close Encounters was actually a 70's movie.

For the time, it was a big budget, big box-office effort written and directed by Spielberg right after Jaws and a few years before Indiana Jones.

There was nothing B-picture about it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's cause she can't act. She's just naturally exactly who the character should be in Jerry Mcgwire. That's why she works.

Might be the same with Pinto, but whatever the reason, she was absolutely perfect in Slumdog. The cast in Slumdog was really good too. I really like that movie.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
80's movies are one big cliche. Therein lies their greatness. Easy watching. Summer School was a perfect example. Revenge of the Nerds. Masterpiece.

I mean, Top Gun was one of the campiest, cliche-ridden movies of all time. And for that it was brilliant.

Edit:

Atta boy billy. seconded and thirded.

Top Gun sucks. The plot is ridiculous, and after watching the Honest Trailer for it, I can't stop noticing a) how gay everyone is, and b) how weird the camera angles and actor positioning are to get you to forget the fact that Tom Cruise is 5'5.

I really dislike Revenge of the Nerds. I don't remember Summer School at all although I am sure I have seen it more than once.

On the other hand, Tequila Sunrise is still an awesome movie almost 30 years later, despite the saxophone montages and terrible soundtrack.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Close Encounters was actually a 70's movie.

For the time, it was a big budget, big box-office effort written and directed by Spielberg right after Jaws and a few years before Indiana Jones.

There was nothing B-picture about it.

I quoted your post about Stripes. So that was the 80's B movie reference.

Close Encounters was great. I saw it much later though, early 90's probably.

Reaction Score
Deliverance. Watched it on the plane the other night. Some parts were still powerful, but I found some of it just awkward.

I also have a personal issue with old cinematography which stops me from watching a lot of classic films.

Reaction Score
West Side Story. Loved it when young, but now even the color version can't keep me more than 15 minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom