Movies that are not as good as you remembered | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Movies that are not as good as you remembered

Reaction Score
West Side Story. Loved it when young, but now even the color version can't keep me more than 15 minutes.

Will have to agree to disagree with you on West Side Story. Love the soundtrack and choreography. My favorite scene:

Reaction Score
West Side Story. Loved it when young, but now even the color version can't keep me more than 15 minutes.

West Side Story was made in color, there is no black and white version of it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I quoted your post about Stripes. So that was the 80's B movie reference.

Close Encounters was great. I saw it much later though, early 90's probably.

Ahhh...yeah, Stripes was schlock.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Probably a minority opinion but I watched Rocky IV from start to finish about a month ago. Wow. That is tough to sit through.

Reaction Score
Probably a minority opinion but I watched Rocky IV from start to finish about a month ago. Wow. That is tough to sit through.

He is like your Popeye....he eat his spinach.

Egads.

Reaction Score

A montage or two would have really helped that movie. It's too bad the filmmakers didn't seem aware of that storytelling technique.

Reaction Score
I won't say it was "good" and didn't stand the test of time (b/c it was never really good), but I remember when I first watched Hard to Kill (Steven Segal as Detective Mason Storm), I was entertained (it was 25+ years ago, I was young).... It was on a few months ago and I was embarrassed for myself for even being entertained by it. Admittedly, it does have one of the greatest recovery/training montages in cinematic history (and by 'best' I mean worst), and seeing Steven Segal run is a thing of beauty.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I won't say it was "good" and didn't stand the test of time (b/c it was never really good), but I remember when I first watched Hard to Kill (Steven Segal as Detective Mason Storm), I was entertained (it was 25+ years ago, I was young).... It was on a few months ago and I was embarrassed for myself for even being entertained by it. Admittedly, it does have one of the greatest recovery/training montages in cinematic history (and by 'best' I mean worst), and seeing Steven Segal run is a thing of beauty.

That may have been the worst 30 seconds of a movie I have ever seen.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

HAHA!

That was totally the Barry Goldberg running style.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He is like your Popeye....he eat his spinach.
Egads.
A montage or two would have really helped that movie. It's too bad the filmmakers didn't seem aware of that storytelling technique.

It's clear to me that most on this thread are missing out on the subtle brilliance of 80's cheese/camp style.

Rocky IV? A tour de force. The training montage in the Siberian wilderness is gold jerry gold.

Rocky winning over the cold war Russian military crowd, the pinnacle of 80's cheese, makes you want to jump out of your seat and scream with glorious abandon.

Reaction Score
It's clear to me that most on this thread are missing out on the subtle brilliance of 80's cheese/camp style.

Rocky IV? A tour de force. The training montage in the Siberian wilderness is gold jerry gold.

Rocky winning over the cold war Russian military crowd, the pinnacle of 80's cheese, makes you want to jump out of your seat and scream with glorious abandon.

Big Rocky fan here. I've been to Mickey's Gym and to Rocky's row house apartment from the original. Combed the streets of Philadelphia hitting many other film location spots from the series.

The post is in reference to the thread title. Rewatching this movie is an entirely different experience than it was watching the original.

And for the record, I rank them:

Rocky
Rocky 3
Rocky IV
Creed (time and rewatchability could bump this up or down a slot)
Rocky 2
Rocky Balboa
Rocky 5

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Big Rocky fan here. I've been to Mickey's Gym and to Rocky's row house apartment from the original. Combed the streets of Philadelphia hitting many other film location spots from the series.

The post is in reference to the thread title. Rewatching this movie is an entirely different experience than it was watching the original.

And for the record, I rank them:

Rocky
Rocky 3
Rocky IV
Creed (time and rewatchability could bump this up or down a slot)
Rocky 2
Rocky Balboa
Rocky 5

That's a fair assessment. Still can't believe they made R5. It flat out sucked.

Offhand, but one of the things I liked about Rocky IV was the final fight appeared exactly like a match up between Iron Mike and Little Joe in Mike Tyson's Punchout. From a size and punching perspective.

Reaction Score
That's a fair assessment. Still can't believe they made R5. It flat out sucked.

Offhand, but one of the things I liked about Rocky IV was the final fight appeared exactly like a match up between Iron Mike and Little Joe in Mike Tyson's Punchout. From a size and punching perspective.
I can't believe this degenerated into yet another Rocky evaluation, but here we are. I never had the love for Rocky IV, probably cuz by that point I was in college and childhood gung-ho gave way to cynicism over the continual cash grab. I still have never seen Rocky Balboa, but did enjoy Creed. To me Creed was about the same as Force Awakens - good job retelling same story in a different, modernized way.

I watched Indiana Jones with my son last weekend much more enjoyable now and I liked it better at the time vs Star Wars and the face melting still freaks out 12yr olds.

Reaction Score
I can't believe this degenerated into yet another Rocky evaluation, but here we are. I never had the love for Rocky IV, probably cuz by that point I was in college and childhood gung-ho gave way to cynicism over the continual cash grab. I still have never seen Rocky Balboa, but did enjoy Creed. To me Creed was about the same as Force Awakens - good job retelling same story in a different, modernized way.

I watched Indiana Jones with my son last weekend much more enjoyable now and I liked it better at the time vs Star Wars and the face melting still freaks out 12yr olds.

The real loser in the series is Rocky 2. The first hour of that is cringeworthy and I'm at the point where I'll shut it off if Im channel surfing and it comes up.

Rocky Balboa is worth the watch. I'm glad they made Creed and think it's a better close to Rocky story than Rocky Balboa would have been. I've heard Stallone say numerous times that he won't kill Rocky onscreen.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The real loser in the series is Rocky 2. The first hour of that is cringeworthy and I'm at the point where I'll shut it off if Im channel surfing and it comes up.

Rocky Balboa is worth the watch. I'm glad they made Creed and think it's a better close to Rocky story than Rocky Balboa would have been. I've heard Stallone say numerous times that he won't kill Rocky onscreen.

You think II is better than V? I mean, V should be stricken from the series.

Reaction Score
You think II is better than V? I mean, V should be stricken from the series.

Oh, god no. 5 is absolutely the worst. In regards to 2, you'd think the 2nd movie in the series would be one of the better ones and for me, it continues to slide down the ranks.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Rocky 2 is a hopeless slog and Rocky 3 is laughable, as well. You know you are in trouble when the best scene in a movie involves Hulk Hogan.

Rocky the original is the only one with even a slight rewatch value, and even that is pretty bad.

Last edited:

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
As a sci fi fan , I could watch "The Fifth Element", "Hell Boy"and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" forever. I will never pay money to see any Hulk , Spider-Man or Superman movies. Horrible and annoying. Most "Star Wars" movies are only good for two viewings and then they become
Annoying also.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
For me, Red Dawn falls into the category of movies that are so bad, that I always have to watch them. A movie for me that matches the idea of this thread would be Scarface. It just seems so damn dated now.

Bloodsport. It's like a tractor beam for my brain, but it is awful.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Rocky 2 is a hopeless slog and Rocky 3 is laughable, as well. You know you are in trouble when the best scene in a movie involves Hulk Hogan.

Rocky the original is the only one with even a slight rewatch value, and even that is pretty bad.

I can't believe anyone could rank 3 over 2. 3 is awful.

Reaction Score
I haven't re-watched them as an adult, but I imagine the Pokémon movies don't hold up like they did when I was 9

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Watched the end of Scent of a Woman yesterday. I can not figure out why I thought this was a really good movie. The Thanksgiving scene was excellent, but after that, I am not clear what the message of the movie is other than "stop snitching". This movie also marks the beginning of Pacino's scenery chewing era.

Probably cause I'm in it as an extra. Ok, not me I was busy that day but my roommates were. One has a giant full frame shot of him in the movie.

We laugh at him because his scene gets cut for time on everything other than the original theatrical release.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom