Movies that are not as good as you remembered | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Movies that are not as good as you remembered

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never saw any of your so called improvements in the theater and admittedly hold curmudgeonly view that American Pie is wayyy overrated. However, I do think Superbad is excellent and very funny, where does that fit in your view/ratings?
I love Superbad. One that I will always stop on while channel surfing.

Agree with you on American Pie.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Never saw any of your so called improvements in the theater and admittedly hold curmudgeonly view that American Pie is wayyy overrated. However, I do think Superbad is excellent and very funny, where does that fit in your view/ratings?

There is no T or A in Superbad, so it is not a teenage sex comedy.

Reaction Score
Any movie with a big plot reveal; i.e. The Sixth Sense

Slumdog Millionaire -- Oh my god it's boring the second time through . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What about the McLovin bed scene?

I believe the actress is still wearing a top in that scene.

To be a teenage sex comedy, there has to be gratuitous nudity and strong sexual content. I actually can't even figure out why Superbad got an R rating other than the producers wanted one.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I have sat through numerous bad movies but the worst that immediately comes to mind is 1971's "Billy Jack." A very close second is "Nashville." Both had me looking for the exit about 10 or 15 minutes in but I sat through both because my wife was with me on a "date."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I believe the actress is still wearing a top in that scene.

To be a teenage sex comedy, there has to be gratuitous nudity and strong sexual content. I actually can't even figure out why Superbad got an R rating other than the producers wanted one.
Probably the period on the pants thing.

Reaction Score
Probably the period on the pants thing.

That, and the roughly 1500 bombs. And dick drawings. Lots of dick drawings . . .

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That, and the roughly 1500 bombs. And dick drawings. Lots of dick drawings . . .
Yes, that was my introduction to Jonah Hill's brilliance with curse words.

Reaction Score
It is worth its own thread, but I think that teenage sex movies went through a huge transformation in the late 90's. Meatballs is terrible, and the Porky's franchise is not only terrible, but offensive. That movie grossed $105 million in 1981, which shows how stupid people were back then. Hot Dog, Ski School, and the idiotic Private Resort (one of Johnny Depp's first starring roles) are all pretty bad too.

My favorite of these is Revenge of the Nerds. Rewatched it on cable over the past year and cringe at some of the scenes. Still love the scene where the boys are up all night watching the hidden cameras they've installed in the sorority ("We have bush!"), but they'd totally go to jail for that today.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone seen Breaking Away lately? I wonder how that one holds up.

Reaction Score
Red Dawn, commando, tron - horrendous movies upon recent rewatch.

On the flip side, John Hugh's did so many movies set in the 80's yet every one that I can recall have perfect staying power.

Reaction Score
Anyone seen Breaking Away lately? I wonder how that one holds up.
Actually watched that with my 12yr old a month ago. Great movie for that, timeless, definitely holds up and only mild sexual innuendo (so nelsonmuntz shouldn't bother).

Reaction Score
Red Dawn, commando, tron - horrendous movies upon recent rewatch.

On the flip side, John Hugh's did so many movies set in the 80's yet every one that I can recall have perfect staying power.

For me, Red Dawn falls into the category of movies that are so bad, that I always have to watch them. A movie for me that matches the idea of this thread would be Scarface. It just seems so damn dated now.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, Flash Gordon's special effects are terrible and the movie is ridiculous, yet it seems to get better with age. It is just a fun, stupid movie.

The Queen soundtrack helps that movie a lot in my opinion. And let's be honest, who doesn't get a laugh out of the fact that the best QB the Jets have had since Namath wasn't even a real person?

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Actually watched that with my 12yr old a month ago. Great movie for that, timeless, definitely holds up and only mild sexual innuendo (so nelsonmuntz shouldn't bother).
Holds up great.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I only watched once, in the movies first run. I was just the right age for it and it stuck with me.

I always think of that scene when Dave caught up to the Italian cyclists and they stuck it to them. Reminds me of UConn and the P5.

Reaction Score
I still think Stripes is great. It's like it was a parody of Full Metal Jacket before Full Metal Jacket.

Not a movie, but I loved Family Matters growing up. Watching that as an adult is cringe worthy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What are you talking about? Are you even following the thread?

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Are you even following the thread?
Responding (to Waquiot) about Breaking Away, maybe you didn't know that's a movie since it has no nudity ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom